PDA

View Full Version : Bad spill at Harrah's

pandy
11-17-2013, 04:39 PM
I heard there was a bad spill at Harrah's Pha. today. If anyone hears anything please post. Anthony Coletta went down hard when the horse in front of him fell.

wiffleball whizz
11-17-2013, 08:23 PM
I heard there was a bad spill at Harrah's Pha. today. If anyone hears anything please post. Anthony Coletta went down hard when the horse in front of him fell.

Havent heard anything exept on other sites but I can only say them continuing the card could only have been a positive sign.....what a nasty spill that was

pandy
11-17-2013, 08:32 PM
Havent heard anything exept on other sites but I can only say them continuing the card could only have been a positive sign.....what a nasty spill that was

I thought the same thing. Anthony Coletta really hit the ground hard.

cmp92
11-17-2013, 10:28 PM
I thought the same thing. Anthony Coletta really hit the ground hard.
I've seen numerous tweets from Yannick Gingras, Billy Davis, and Jonathan Drury wishing him well. Gingras used the hashtag #fightingforhislife

wiffleball whizz
11-17-2013, 10:37 PM
I've seen numerous tweets from Yannick Gingras, Billy Davis, and Jonathan Drury wishing him well. Gingras used the hashtag #fightingforhislife

Wow thats terrible......

To paint the picture the 8 makes a ferocious brush by the stands there is separation then in the back horse on rail goes down other horse slingshots colletta from rail to the middle of the track middle of far turn then gets run over by trailing horses

Just a horrible situation all around

Kind of thought cuz they didn't cancel rest of card he may be ok but I'm hearing otherwise now

pandy
11-17-2013, 10:53 PM
Someone posted on facebook that Cassie Coleman said Anthony is in emergency brain surgery.

nijinski
11-17-2013, 10:57 PM
Someone posted on facebook that Cassie Coleman said Anthony is in emergency brain surgery.

Oh My , I saw this digging on twitter too .

Looks like he had to be airlifted to the trauma unit and it sounds

very serious . He needs everyone's prayers tonight .

wiffleball whizz
11-18-2013, 12:01 AM
http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=news/local&id=9329510

Never good when the news reports the spill

badcompany
11-18-2013, 08:20 AM
http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=news/local&id=9329510

Never good when the news reports the spill

I don't think I've seen a driver get thrown that high. Hopefully, he'll pull though.

As an aside, that news reporter, Katherine Scott, is super hot.

melman
11-18-2013, 10:11 AM
I don't think I've seen a driver get thrown that high. Hopefully, he'll pull though.

As an aside, that news reporter, Katherine Scott, is super hot.
BadCo----Don't know how far back you go with harness. Many many years ago at the Meadowlands a very promising young driver Jackie Parker Jr had a similar type accident. At the time they reported that blood was coming from his ears. Yet he survived. Took him a long time to recover and he was never the same very good driver. Still drives a few at Dover and Harrington. Maybe Pandy remembers that spill at Meadowlands.

pandy
11-18-2013, 10:14 AM
I do. Of course there was Shelly Goudreau and Bill Haughton, who were both killed. I interviewed Anthony Coletta a couple of years ago. He is a nice, hard working guy.

badcompany
11-18-2013, 01:14 PM
I remember a journeyman driver named David Dunkley, who I believe was killed in an accident.

I also vaguely remember a string of accidents that prompted the two top drivers, at the time, Campbell and O'Donnell, to wear Football type helmets.

mrroyboy
11-18-2013, 03:01 PM
A very sad part of our sport. Sometimes I hate drivers but I don't ever want to see this type of thing. Prayers and well wishes for recovery. And I hope the horse involved survived.

Sea Biscuit
11-18-2013, 05:12 PM
I wish the young man speedy recovery and hope his injuries are not of a serious nature.

RaceTrackDaddy
11-18-2013, 05:28 PM
That is the one aspect of the sport that will never leave my mind. This accident reminds me of two some years ago. Stevel LeBlanc at the Meadows and Mike Harding (sp?) at PPk so many years ago were thrown into the air and came down head first.

Knowclew
11-18-2013, 06:17 PM
Horrible to watch...I was sitting in an OTB betting Philly when it happened.
Have only heard bad things about his condition, but I would consider, and hope, they are all rumors. Truly hope a miracle can happen for him, if that is what it takes.

Others have mentioned previous tragic spills....I was at Maywood Park (early 80's) the night Vince Tamborello was catapulted to the infield. Horrific to
see....eerily similar. Hoping for a better outcome.

wiffleball whizz
11-18-2013, 06:30 PM
Read on social media/other garbage sites that colletta is breathing and moving a little bit.......also heard they had to do a threacheoptomy(sp) on the track

pandy
11-18-2013, 06:46 PM
I never met him but I got to know him a bit when I wrote a column about him and spoke to him on the phone. He has a lot of spirit and he is young and keeps himself in good shape. I know everyone is pulling for him.

nijinski
11-20-2013, 06:22 PM
Huge efforts by horseman friends and fans to raise money to help
for Anthony Coletta's care .

Columbus, OH --- After hearing about the serious accident involving driver Anthony Coletta on Sunday, the harness racing industry has rallied to raise funds to assist his family as he fights to recover from his injuries at The Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia.

The fundraising effort is being spearheaded by Coletta’s close friend and trainer Anthony Defrancesco, known as “Pork Chop” to his friends. Defrancesco is accepting donations in Coletta’s name and has ordered 6,000 specially designed wrist bands that will have Coletta’s name with the words “Stay Strong” on them.

“I ordered 6,000 of them to sell for $5 each to raise money, but I don’t know if 6,000 will be enough,” said Defrancesco. The bracelets should be ready for sale by Monday (Nov. 25).

Donations can be made out to Anthony Coletta and sent in care of Defrancesco at 2551 South Mildred St., Philadelphia, PA 19148. To order wrist bands or to assist in fundraising efforts, he can be reached at 215.385.6732.