PDA

View Full Version : When does this Meet really start?

FortuneHunter
12-07-2001, 10:25 AM
I noticed that BRISnet has reset thier Meet statistics for Jockey Meet Starts/Wins and Trainer Meet Starts/Wins for Aqueduct as if the " Aqueduct Winter/Spring 2002" meet has begun. Seems to coincide with the move to the Inner Track.

However, I believe NYRA considers the " Aqueduct Winter/Spring 2001" meet to start Jan 1, 2002. So NYRA still considers it to be the "Aqueduct Fall 2001" meet.

If anyone is using the DRF or Equibase, I would be curious to see if there data for the Aqueduct show a new meet starting on 12/5/01.

Thanks, FH

JimH
12-07-2001, 03:35 PM
No, the Aqueduct Winter/Spring Meet begins with the move to the inner track. NYRA starts their numbers at zero on the day they move.

By the way, in their "this track only" stats, both Equibase and DRF consider the Aqueduct main track and the Aqueduct inner dirt as two different tracks, much the same as Calder and Gulfstream are two different tracks. There is no other track in the country which has its dirt-track stats split in this fashion.

Observer
12-07-2001, 05:06 PM
Technically, the Aqueduct Fall Meet will end at the end of the year. While stats have been changed with the switch to the inner track, the official end to the meet is Monday, Dec. 31. I would think too many people just didn't like the stats (like post positions, jockey, trainer, etc.) reflecting both the main track and inner track, so that's why there is a change in them. And I believe everyone (DRF, BRIS, Equibase, and the handicappers in the local papers) change as well. But, officially, Sunday will be the 30th day of the meeting.

Observer
12-07-2001, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by JimH
There is no other track in the country which has its dirt-track stats split in this fashion.

I don't know of any other track in the country with a set-up quite like Aqueduct, having two dirt tracks, each used at different times of the year, unlike Belmont and Saratoga where the two different turf courses are both used on a day-in, day-out basis.

Of course, when racing shifts back to the main track in the spring, there will be an occasional 2-year-old maiden race run on the inner .. but not enough to make any kind of impact on the stats. Unlike now, where racing goes for a few weeks on the inner before the meet officially ends.

JimH
12-08-2001, 11:24 PM
Yes, I know it's a unique layout. What about the tracks with 2 turf courses (Belmont, Saratoga, Colonial)? Are their two turf courses treated as different tracks by Equibase and DRF in the same way that Aqueduct's two dirt courses are different? Or is a horse's "Belmont Turf" record meaning both turf courses combined?

Observer
12-09-2001, 01:05 AM
Like I said, there is a distinct difference in situation with the Inner track at Aqueduct, as opposed to a track having two turf courses. Racing completely shifts over to the Inner for several months, just as if they had picked up and moved to a new venue.

For the turf courses, each is used once or on some occasions twice a day, weather permitting. As far as stats go for the individual turf courses, I think it depends on who's producing the stats. Some run them combined, which I believe to be inaccurate. The courses have completely different configurations. But I do believe there are some places that do keep the turf course stats, at least in a horse's lifetime record, as individual. For post position purposes, there probably aren't enough races run on each course to generate an accurate gauge .. or at least it would take weeks to develop .. and by that time the meet would basically be over.

FortuneHunter
12-10-2001, 07:33 PM
So, we have established that the data providers and the track recognize that the Aqu Main Track and Inner track are different, so they reset the "meet" stats when they go to the Inner Track on Week 6 of the official 9 week AQU Fall meet (ends 12/30).

However, when they switch back to the Main Track on Week 12 of the 18 week AQU Winter/Spring, you would think they would reset the "meet" stats.

But they don't. Seems inconsistent, but that's the way it is.

FortuneHunter
12-12-2001, 08:11 PM
I read on the NYRA Website that they do start a new meet, Aqu Spring 2002 Meet on Wed. 3/13 when they go back to the Main Track.

So .....

Aqu Fall 2001 10/31/01 to 12/30/01

Note: Meet Stats reset on 12/5/01

Aqu Winter 2002 1/1/02 to 3/10/02

Aqu Spring 2002 3/13/02 to 5/5/02

End of story