PDA

View Full Version : Closing Prisons As It Runs Out Of Inmates

maddog42
11-17-2013, 08:29 AM
http://www.classwarfareexists.com/sweden-is-closing-prisons-as-it-runs-out-of-inmates-2/

"The editorial board of the New York Times recently published an article comparing European and American prison systems, and their conclusion was that, especially for non-violent offenders, European justice systems produced better results and wasted fewer resources."

Robert Goren
11-17-2013, 09:03 AM
There are two things at work here.
First, are drug offenders only hurting themselves? I am not buying that.
Two, has the non incarnation of drug offenders (and all that goes with it) reduced the number of drug offenders? I am not buying that either.
I don't have a study, but the drug offenders I have known have had plenty of court appearances before they finally end up in jail.

JustRalph
11-17-2013, 05:58 PM
The editorial board of the New York Times is where you lost me......

Unless maybe you "mis-spoke"

Saratoga_Mike
11-17-2013, 06:03 PM
The editorial board of the New York Times is where you lost me......

Unless maybe you "mis-spoke"

See today's NY Times editorials

classhandicapper
11-18-2013, 12:31 PM
I see putting a lot of energy into a discussion about prisons to be another of those band-aid kind of issues.

The reason we have so many prisons and criminals is that our society is breaking down under the weight of subjective moral relativism.

When teenagers and unmarried uncommitted people stop having so many babies and they are instead raised by 2 mature committed parents, with the economic, disciplinary, and guidance advantages that go along with that, we'll produce better kids. Then some of these discussions will be less relevant. That's a better approach than figuring out how to maximize the efficiency of prisons so we can keep all these maladjusted people from harming the rest of us.

TJDave
11-18-2013, 01:03 PM
European justice systems produced better results and wasted fewer resources."

The only 'results' I care about is doing a good job in punishing those who deserve it. Repeat offenders should be punished even better. The mark of a good justice system is that people should be scared ****less about being in it.

OTOH, I believe that once you've done your time...that's it. Records should be sealed. Punishment should end when you leave prison.