PDA

View Full Version : Obama Tries to Put the Toothpaste Back in the Tube

Ocala Mike
11-14-2013, 01:09 PM
He loked like a wounded bird up there today. Can't see what he proposed working unless he got the insurance companies on board, and it certainly doesn't look like he did. Stay tuned!

Clocker
11-14-2013, 01:29 PM
He loked like a wounded bird up there today. Can't see what he proposed working unless he got the insurance companies on board, and it certainly doesn't look like he did. Stay tuned!

I can't imagine it would be possible for the insurance companies to completely revamp their policy structure in the few weeks left in the year. And the "old" policies would have to be priced a lot higher than they were to make up the revenue short fall from people not buying "qualified" plans as was assumed.

So the fix won't work, and Obama can blame it on the insurance companies.

Saratoga_Mike
11-14-2013, 01:32 PM
I can't imagine it would be possible for the insurance companies to completely revamp their policy structure in the few weeks left in the year. And the "old" policies would have to be priced a lot higher than they were to make up the revenue short fall from people not buying "qualified" plans as was assumed.

EXACTLY RIGHT - Obama either doesn't understand anything about the insurance industry or this is all political theater. Heck it may be both.

And wouldn't the govt shutdown have been over in all of a few days if Obama had just thrown this bone to Reps in October?

FantasticDan
11-14-2013, 01:37 PM
And wouldn't the govt shutdown have been over in all of a few days if Obama had just thrown this bone to Reps in October?As Obama said on numerous occasions, he wasn't going to throw any "bones" to the repubs in exchange for holding the govt hostage.

FantasticDan
11-14-2013, 01:41 PM
Let's see if we can make every thread on this first page of O/T an Obamacare thread! We're almost there! Who's with me?! :jump: :ThmbUp:

johnhannibalsmith
11-14-2013, 01:44 PM
Let's see if we can make every thread on this first page of O/T an Obamacare thread! We're almost there! Who's with me?! :jump: :ThmbUp:

Well, this is the civil rights fight of our generation and the greatest piece of legislation since that historic bill, so let's not trivialize its importance to humanity with sarcasm.

:D

Saratoga_Mike
11-14-2013, 01:44 PM
As Obama said on numerous occasions, he wasn't going to throw any "bones" to the repubs in exchange for holding the govt hostage.

Oh for God's sake, they weren't holding the govt hostage. There has been horse-trading around the debt ceiling and federal budgets for decades. Think for yourself.

johnhannibalsmith
11-14-2013, 01:45 PM

Of course.

Clocker
11-14-2013, 01:51 PM
Let's see if we can make every thread on this first page of O/T an Obamacare thread!

First we have to change the name, because it is blatantly obvious that Obama does not care.

Ocala Mike
11-14-2013, 01:53 PM
EXACTLY RIGHT - Obama either doesn't understand anything about the insurance industry or this is all political theater. Heck it may be both.

And wouldn't the govt shutdown have been over in all of a few days if Obama had just thrown this bone to Reps in October?

Agree with your first sentence, but not the second. The Reps wanted the WHOLE law repealed, or the WHOLE law delayed. The change he wants to implement wouldn't have been any help at that time.

Tom
11-14-2013, 02:18 PM
As Obama said on numerous occasions, he wasn't going to throw any "bones" to the repubs in exchange for holding the govt hostage.

What he said was he would not negotiate.
Pride before the nation.

Clocker
11-14-2013, 02:22 PM
The change he wants to implement is illegal. The old, crappy, worthless policies are still illegal. Obama is saying to the insurance companies that he will use selective enforcement to not prosecute them for selling illegal policies.

If you want to sell an illegal policy, you can sell an illegal policy. Period. I promise.

the White House is saying that it will use "enforcement discretion" to allow illegal health insurance plans to be able to still be sold. That is, the Obama administration will not enforce the penalty on individuals for not having eligible health insurance plans and they'll allow the insurance companies to still sell so-called bad plans -- plans they technically can't sell under Obamacare.

If you ran a business, would you violate the law based on a promise from Obama?

Article here. (http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/fairy-tale-continues-obama-proposes-extralegal-obamacare-fix_767089.html)

Saratoga_Mike
11-14-2013, 02:24 PM
Agree with your first sentence, but not the second. The Reps wanted the WHOLE law repealed, or the WHOLE law delayed. The change he wants to implement wouldn't have been any help at that time.

By day 2 or 3 of the shutdown, Reps wanted any face-saving bone possible.

JustRalph
11-14-2013, 02:36 PM
Just heard two insurance execs on the radio here in Dallas who say it's too late. They won't "destabilize the market" to re-activate old policies that were canceled.

A day late and a dollar short.........as usual ........

Clocker
11-14-2013, 02:46 PM
Just heard two insurance execs on the radio here in Dallas who say it's too late. They won't "destabilize the market" to re-activate old policies that were canceled.

A day late and a dollar short.........as usual ........

They couldn't do it if they wanted to. You can't revamp your entire product line in a couple of weeks. That's what happens when you have an entire administration totally devoid of private sector experience. A hot dog stand couldn't make a change of that degree in that time, let alone an insurance company.

Tom
11-14-2013, 02:47 PM
The insurance companies need to send letters to everyone who has had a policy cancelled, explaining in great detail that the president lied today, and that the LAW will not allow them do as he suggested.

ArlJim78
11-14-2013, 03:52 PM
oh my god what a clusterF. now he waltzs out and by executive fiat waves his magic wand trying to to placate people through another election cycle.
the idiocy is staggering, that ship has sailed guy.
this man has no clue how business or the economy works.

all the GOP asked for was either to delay the IM one year, or to have O'care apply to congress, but no we had to go through shutdown theatre for two weeks. now democrats are tripping over each other to make one kind of change or the other to the plan.

LottaKash
11-14-2013, 04:11 PM
They couldn't do it if they wanted to. You can't revamp your entire product line in a couple of weeks. That's what happens when you have an entire administration totally devoid of private sector experience. A hot dog stand couldn't make a change of that degree in that time, let alone an insurance company.

I'll have two with sauerkraut and mustard...:jump:

Clocker
11-14-2013, 04:17 PM
I'll have two with sauerkraut and mustard...:jump:

What did the Buddhist say to the hot dog vendor?

Make me one with everything.

Tom
11-15-2013, 02:00 PM
Every time something goes wrong, Obama had no idea, was not told, etc,etc....how can one guy be so oblivious to EVERYTHING?

Remember the whining here about that stupid memo Bush supposedly didn't read in the August before 9/11? How about you lefties using the same standards with your boy.........yeah, right! :lol::lol::lol:

ArlJim78
11-15-2013, 04:54 PM
I'm reading the actual transcript of what he said yesterday. to think this is the president of the United States. how embarrassingly pathethic this is. Here are some of the comments with my snark added;

Obama: On the Web site, I was not informed directly that the Web site would not be working as — the way it was supposed to. Had I been informed, I wouldn’t be going out saying, boy, this is going to be great. You know, I’m accused of a lot of things, but I don’t think I’m stupid enough to go around saying, this is going to be like shopping on Amazon or Travelocity, a week before the Web site opens, if I thought that it wasn’t going to work.

ME: Umm, no that is not good enough. It's your "signature achievement", you're in charge, if you weren't informed that is your fault.

Obama: With respect to the pledge I made that if you like your plan you can keep it, I think — you know, and I’ve said in interviews — that there is no doubt that the way I put that forward unequivocally ended up not being accurate.

ME: No it didn't end up being inaccurate, it was a lie when you first said it over and over hundreds of times, emphatically mading that bogus claim. You owe an apology to the other side for chastising them for correctly pointing out your "inaccurate statements" from the beginning.

Obama: You know, the Web site itself is doing a lot of stuff
Obama: And you know, I am very frustrated, but I’m also somebody who, if I fumble the ball, you know, I’m going to wait until I get the next play, and then I’m going to try to run as hard as I can and do right by the team.

Me: No comment neccessary. Just embarrassed that we have such a simpleton in charge.

Obama: What we’re discovering is that part of the problem has been technology, hardware and software, and that’s being upgraded.

ME: Oh really? Please tell us more Mr. Science.

Obama: But even if we get the — the hardware and software working exactly the way it’s supposed to with relatively minor glitches, what we’re also discovering is that insurance is complicated to buy.

Me: and the moneyshot. Priceless. He has recently discovered that insurance is complicated to buy. Well that is just swell. There are just so many things he is only now discovering, it's almost as if he knew nothing at all in the first place, but that can't be can it? anyone?

Obama: You know, I — I’ve got to say I meet with an awful lot of folks, and I talk to an awful lot of folks every day. And I have lunches with CEOs and IT venture capitalists and labor leaders and, you know, pretty much folks from all walks of life on a whole bunch of topics. And if you looked at my schedule on any given day, we’re interacting with a whole lot of people.

Me: Wow, so you have lunch with people? No wonder you're so smart.

Obama: And one of the — you know, when I do some Monday morning quarterbacking on myself, one of the things that I do recognize is since I know that the federal government has not been good at this stuff in the past, two years ago as we were thinking about this, you know, we might have done more to make sure that we were breaking the mold on how we were going to be setting this up. But that doesn’t help us now. We got to move forward.

Me: Government hasn't been good at this in the past, you don't say? sounds like you're starting to learn something at long last. Here's a tip. GOVERNMENT IS NOT GOOD AT IT NOW EITHER, AND NEVER WILL BE.

Obama: And, you know, I think I said early on when I was running, I am not a perfect man and I will not be a perfect president, but I’ll wake up every single day working as hard as I can on behalf of Americans out there from every walk of life who are working hard, meeting their responsibilities but sometimes are struggling because the way the system works isn’t giving them a fair shot.

Me: "With that said, which way to the first tee?"

Show Me the Wire
11-15-2013, 05:35 PM
Obama is not familiar with the philosophy the buck stops here when it comes to Presidential responsibilities.

Hopefully, this will be a teachable hour (moment is not descriptive enough) of what happens when you elect a leader who blames everyone and everything else for failures.

Clocker
11-15-2013, 05:36 PM
Obama: With respect to the pledge I made that if you like your plan you can keep it, I think — you know, and I’ve said in interviews — that there is no doubt that the way I put that forward unequivocally ended up not being accurate.

ME: No it didn't end up being inaccurate, it was a lie when you first said it over and over hundreds of times, emphatically mading that bogus claim. You owe an apology to the other side for chastising them for correctly pointing out your "inaccurate statements" from the beginning.

You apparently missed the very reasonable explanation for this misunderstanding. Obama said if you like your plan, you can keep your plan. Period.

Obama's top medical adviser, Dr. Zeke Emanuel (Rahm's brother) explained on a news show that the qualifier on that statement, the part about "unless it charges, or unless you bought it after 2010", is the fine print. And everyone knows that you don't put the small print in political speeches.

See, no problem.

ArlJim78
11-15-2013, 05:54 PM
You apparently missed the very reasonable explanation for this misunderstanding. Obama said if you like your plan, you can keep your plan. Period.

Obama's top medical adviser, Dr. Zeke Emanuel (Rahm's brother) explained on a news show that the qualifier on that statement, the part about "unless it charges, or unless you bought it after 2010", is the fine print. And everyone knows that you don't put the small print in political speeches.

See, no problem.
oh right, so very reasonable to add the fine print a few years later.

The latest one I heard was from Steny Hoyer, he said that Americans interpreted Obama's statements "expansively". In other words to mean whatever they now say they mean.

The NYT's also invented a new one calling them "incorrect promises".
That was after they got lambasted for saying that he misspoke.

What a laugh riot these people are. zero credibility and they're proud of it.

Clocker
11-15-2013, 06:09 PM
What a laugh riot these people are. zero credibility and they're proud of it.

A couple more classics from Pelosi:

"There is nothing in the Affordable Care Act that said that your insurance company should cancel you," said Minority Leader Pelosi.

"Did I ever tell my constituents that if they liked their plan they could keep it?" Pelosi asked. "I would have if I'd ever met anybody who liked his or her plan. But that was not my experience."

witchdoctor
11-15-2013, 06:13 PM
More food for thought

http://americanoverlook.com/romneys-insanely-accurate-predictions-of-obamas-second-term/106582

TJDave
11-15-2013, 06:33 PM
More food for thought

It's not difficult to be a seer when you are the leader of the party of No. :lol:

witchdoctor
11-15-2013, 06:36 PM
It's not difficult to be a seer when you are the leader of the party of No. :lol:

I have learned from being a parent that telling my 18 year old son No is usually not a bad thing. :ThmbUp:

TJDave
11-15-2013, 06:42 PM
I have learned from being a parent that telling my 18 year old son No is usually not a bad thing. :ThmbUp:

You have an exceptionable child.

When I said no it was for plausible deniability. :lol:

fast4522
11-15-2013, 07:11 PM
For starters get one thing straight, it was intended to fail and was part of the plan. What was not part of the plan was for it to fail at this juncture, but further down the road when we went too far. The math suggests that there is no way no matter what that it is feasible to work in its current structure. Math does not lie, and even if everyone were to be perfect doobies for this health care system it will still fail. That having been said, I do not see a gush of cooperation coming from across this country and would remind you all that we are a republic who needs to contact our elected representatives. The time is right as in now to express yourselves to your congress and continue doing so for a year, and not just the once. Participate at some level now instead of saying burnt again down the road.

ArlJim78
11-15-2013, 07:49 PM
More food for thought

http://americanoverlook.com/romneys-insanely-accurate-predictions-of-obamas-second-term/106582
yes it is, lets have a look.

0A1UQbW1UB8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0A1UQbW1UB8

ArlJim78
11-15-2013, 08:08 PM
The incomparable Mark Steyn.

Thus Spake Obama (http://m.nationalreview.com/article/364093/thus-spake-obama-mark-steyn)
The incompetence of our neo-monarchy

Still, as historian Michael Beschloss pronounced the day after his election,
he’s “probably the smartest guy ever to become president.” Naturally, Obama shares this assessment. As he assured us five years ago, “I know more about policies on any particular issue than my policy directors.” Well, apart from his signature health-care policy. That’s a mystery to him. “I was not informed directly that the website would not be working,” he told us. The buck stops with something called “the executive branch,” which is apparently nothing to do with him. As evidence that he was entirely out of the loop, he offered this:

Had I been I informed, I wouldn’t be going out saying, “Boy, this is going to be great.” You know, I’m accused of a lot of things, but I don’t think I’m stupid enough to go around saying, “This is going to be like shopping on Amazon or Travelocity,” a week before the website opens, if I thought that it wasn’t going to work.

Ooooo-kay. So, if I follow correctly, the smartest president ever is not smart enough to ensure that his website works; he’s not smart enough to inquire of others as to whether his website works; he’s not smart enough to check that his website works before he goes out and tells people what a great website experience they’re in for. But he is smart enough to know that he’s not stupid enough to go around bragging about how well it works if he’d already been informed that it doesn’t work. So he’s smart enough to know that if he’d known what he didn’t know he’d know enough not to let it be known that he knew nothing. The country’s in the very best of hands.

The guy who brags that he knows more about policy than his policy advisors also just told us that he recently discovered that shopping for insurance is difficult.

PaceAdvantage
11-15-2013, 09:06 PM
yes it is, lets have a look.

0A1UQbW1UB8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0A1UQbW1UB8How the hell did Romney lose to this clown? People said and continue to say what a terrible candidate Romney was...I didn't see it then, and I don't see it now.

Something is terribly wrong when a guy like Romney can't beat a guy like Obama for President of the United States.

Tom
11-15-2013, 10:27 PM
Obama is not familiar with the philosophy the buck stops here when it comes to Presidential responsibilities.

Hopefully, this will be a teachable hour (moment is not descriptive enough) of what happens when you elect a leader who blames everyone and everything else for failures.

With Obama, the buck STARTS here.

fast4522
11-16-2013, 05:09 PM
Mike,

In the general election for President of these United States things are different for what is needed from the candidates as follows:

To win as a republican two requirement,

1.) People believe you.
2.) People also believe in you.

To win as a democrat only one requirement,

1.) People must believe the democrat candidate will stick the bill to someone else.

Absolutely nothing else matters, I posted this before.

tucker6
11-16-2013, 05:29 PM
where is the lefty defense of Obama in this thread? Busy on the website buying health insurance?

Ocala Mike
11-16-2013, 06:03 PM
Don't look at me; I started the thread. My position is that health care and health insurance are two different things, and the basic problem with the law is that it's about insurance, not care. We're either going to wind up with a Medicare for All single-payer system, or a free emergency room for all system, because very few will be able to afford meaningful insurance policies after the ACA shakes out.

Tom
11-18-2013, 01:34 PM
The Obamabots are saying that is they have 80% successful sign ups on the website by the end of November, that will be a victory.

Where else would anyone call a 20% failure rate a success? :D
(other than DRF, of course!)

Hey mostie, if the USPS failed to deliver 20% of the letters the receive every day, how many pieces of mail would not be delivered?
If your computer didn't work 1 out of 5 times, would you be happy?

20% failure is a good thing.........to a loser! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

BlueShoe
11-18-2013, 03:38 PM
We're either going to wind up with a Medicare for All single-payer system, or a free emergency room for all system .
But we already have a free emergency care system. All you have to do to take advantage of it is to be an illegal alien. :rolleyes: :mad: The fact that is has caused many ERs to close because of unsustainable costs seems to have been overlooked by far left Democrats pandering for votes. When fiscally responsible persons protest this situation, the left screams and calls such persons "racists."

Ocala Mike
11-18-2013, 05:32 PM
Where else would anyone call a 20% failure rate a success?

I know, baseball! There's never been an .800 hitter.

NJ Stinks
11-18-2013, 05:40 PM
The Obamabots are saying that is they have 80% successful sign ups on the website by the end of November, that will be a victory.

Where else would anyone call a 20% failure rate a success? :D
(other than DRF, of course!)

Hey mostie, if the USPS failed to deliver 20% of the letters the receive every day, how many pieces of mail would not be delivered?
If your computer didn't work 1 out of 5 times, would you be happy?

20% failure is a good thing.........to a loser! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

If you were 80% right in your handicapping, you'd be delirious, Delirium.

TJDave
11-18-2013, 05:43 PM
I know, baseball! There's never been an .800 hitter.

We nearly had one in the series. ;)

classhandicapper
11-18-2013, 06:32 PM
How the hell did Romney lose to this clown? People said and continue to say what a terrible candidate Romney was...I didn't see it then, and I don't see it now.

Something is terribly wrong when a guy like Romney can't beat a guy like Obama for President of the United States.

I wasn't a huge Romney fan because I'm more of a Ron Paul libertarian. He's not my ideal candidate on a few issues. But from a pragmatic point of view, IMO he was probably the best candidate we've had from either party in decades. He's intelligent, a decent man, and competent in business and economics. It's almost a catastrophe that he did not win.

It's easy to know why Obama won.

White people are pretty much split down the middle politically, with a cluster right in the middle that can go either way depending on the quality of the candidate and their priorities in that specific election. A lot of white people voted for Obama, but they preferred Romney.

Minorities, especially blacks, are heavily democrat, but blacks as a group got especially passionate about a candidate with the same color skin.

Which brings us to immigration policy. The more minorities we allow in the country the more likely we will elect democrats, at least until they move up the economic ladder, understand business and economics better, understand the shortcomings of government better, and get tired of carrying the weight of people capable of more while struggling themselves.

When my family came here from Italy about 90-100 years ago they all voted democrat and they all remained democrats for decades. Then a few started succeeding or having children that succeeded. So they started seeing the impacts of left wing policy on their lives, small businesses etc... One by one they converted, even some of the ones that came off the boat to Ellis Island eventually converted. Now there are way more republicans that democrats. The few remaining democrats are young and freshly brainwashed out of college. I give them another 10 years and they'll be venting to me about how the democrats are economic idiots.

That's why democrats are not so anxious to protect the borders, enforce existing laws, deport illegals etc.. and are very anxious for amnesty. It will grow their voting block.

woodtoo
11-18-2013, 06:38 PM
I wasn't a huge Romney fan because I'm more of a Ron Paul libertarian. He's not my ideal candidate on a few issues. But from a pragmatic point of view, IMO he was probably the best candidate we've had from either party in decades. He's intelligent, a decent man, and competent in business and economics. It's almost a catastrophe that he did not win.

It's easy to know why Obama won.

White people are pretty much split down the middle politically, with a cluster right in the middle that can go either way depending on the quality of the candidate and their priorities in that specific election. A lot of white people voted for Obama, but they preferred Romney.

Minorities, especially blacks, are heavily democrat, but blacks as a group got especially passionate about a candidate with the same color skin.

Which brings us to immigration policy. The more minorities we allow in the country the more likely we will elect democrats, at least until they move up the economic ladder, understand business and economics better, understand the shortcomings of government better, and get tired of carrying the weight of people capable of more while struggling themselves.

When my family came here from Italy about 90-100 years ago they all voted democrat and they all remained democrats for decades. Then a few started succeeding or having children that succeeded. So they started seeing the impacts of left wing policy on their lives, small businesses etc... One by one they converted, even some of the ones that came off the boat to Ellis Island eventually converted. Now there are way more republicans that democrats. The few remaining democrats are young and freshly brainwashed out of college. I give them another 10 years and they'll be venting to me about how the democrats are economic idiots.

That's why democrats are not so anxious to protect the borders, enforce existing laws, deport illegals etc.. and are very anxious for amnesty. It will grow their voting block.

Well said,it is all about their base.

PaceAdvantage
11-18-2013, 07:49 PM
But from a pragmatic point of view, IMO he was probably the best candidate we've had from either party in decades. He's intelligent, a decent man, and competent in business and economics. It's almost a catastrophe that he did not win.Pretty much the way I saw it as well.

BlueShoe
11-19-2013, 01:35 PM
If you were 80% right in your handicapping, you'd be delirious, Delirium.
But that is so very easy to do, 80% hit rate. Just bet every odds on favorite to show. You will be right at least 80% of the time, and cash lots and lots of tickets before you finally go broke. And this seems to be the fate of Obamacare, be right 4 times out of 5 if we are very patient, and very lucky, but then it will crash and burn.

JustRalph
11-21-2013, 12:46 AM
7 States say no......to the toothpaste going back

On Tuesday, New York became the largest state to reject the proposal. Gov. Andrew Cuomo, a Democrat, told reporters during a press conference that he doesn’t think the President’s fix is necessary for New York.

“We haven’t had the kind of issues in New York in our exchange that they’ve had nationwide,” Cuomo said. “Our program has actually been working well, the website has been working well, and we’ve had actually very good success with our program so we don’t see any reason to change it now `because we’re not having those types of issues.”

New York joins Washington, Rhode Island, Vermont, Massachusetts, Minnesota and Indiana in rejecting the President’s proposal.

Before making his decision, Democratic Gov. Mark Dayton of Minnesota received a letter from the executive director of the Minnesota Council of Health Plans, who told him that the President’s fix “comes too late” and “will destabilize the market and result in higher premiums for Minnesotans.”

PaceAdvantage
11-21-2013, 12:49 AM
Before making his decision, Democratic Gov. Mark Dayton of Minnesota received a letter from the executive director of the Minnesota Council of Health Plans, who told him that the President’s fix “comes too late” and “will destabilize the market and result in higher premiums for Minnesotans.”Obama should be grilled for even proposing such nonsense. It further exposes him as a non-thinker, as opposed to the great intelligent soul he is made out to be by his supporters and the media.

This was a dumb-ass thing to propose, and I hope he is taking a lot of heat in the media for doing such. I haven't been paying a lot of attention...has there been an appropriate media backlash against his moronic "fix?"