PDA

View Full Version : Single-Ticket Winners

antigeekess
11-14-2013, 12:05 PM
Does anybody here bother to play those? Seems like you'd just have to make a completely nonsensical bet & hope for chaos, due to the obvious fact that a result making ANY kind of sense on paper using ANY system is going to be covered by somebody somewhere (most likely by a frequenter of PaceAdvantage.com). ;)

But if anybody's interested and hasn't noticed, Woodbine...

On November 15th (Friday), Woodbine will have a $229,729.00 Jackpot High-5 carryover.

thaskalos
11-14-2013, 01:53 PM
When you say "single-ticket winner"...do you mean selecting a single horse for every leg of the wager?

Ocala Mike
11-14-2013, 01:56 PM
I think he means taking down an entire huge pool as the single winner. Obviously, it's no more likely to be done (in fact far less likely) when there's a multi-day carryover (syndicates and all), but you certainly have a huge jackpot to shoot for.

1st time lasix
11-14-2013, 01:58 PM
I prefer to play multi-race carryovers...but i do not play "jackpot" pools of any kind until they are forced out

thaskalos
11-14-2013, 02:02 PM
I think he means taking down an entire huge pool as the single winner. Obviously, it's no more likely to be done (in fact far less likely) when there's a multi-day carryover (syndicates and all), but you certainly have a huge jackpot to shoot for.
That's what I initially thought too...but then I saw his first sentence, which asks: "Does anyone here bother to play those?" This question makes no sense when it is applied to single winners taking down the whole pool...because "those" situations cannot be determined prior to playing them.

Ocala Mike
11-14-2013, 03:44 PM
OK, thas, now I see you're probably right. He seems to be referring to "jackpot" payoffs where you MUST have the only winning ticket to take down the prize.
I personally never play those; happy to share my winnings with all those who can hit a nice 8/1 shot to win once in a while!

Stillriledup
11-14-2013, 03:57 PM
In my entire betting life, i've played a "jackpot" carryover once, it was at Hawthorne a year or 2 ago, the Penta got whittled down to a 6 or 7 horse field, the favorite couldnt lose, the 2nd choice was most likely going to finish 2nd, so i put in a nice sized ticket with the favorite on top, with the 2nd choice 2nd and a small packet of horses in 3rd and 4th and i singled the worst horse in the race for 5th and was hoping he can pass the 2nd worst horse in the race for that last spot(s). I thought there might be value in the 'logical' combinations since the object of the bet is to specifically bet on horses who have 'no chance', i thought that even though a large portion of the pool goes to the next days' carrover, the thing still might pay ok because lets face it, who was betting on the favorite in there? I can't imagine too many people were betting the fave over the 2nd fave.

antigeekess
11-15-2013, 02:02 AM
OK, thas, now I see you're probably right. He seems to be referring to "jackpot" payoffs where you MUST have the only winning ticket to take down the prize.
I personally never play those; happy to share my winnings with all those who can hit a nice 8/1 shot to win once in a while!

You got it, Ocala. That's what I meant. Just seems to me like the result would have to be so unpredictable that only dumb luck could catch it, otherwise multiple players would always have "would be" winning tickets.

I haven't really looked into any of those payouts to evaluate this, though. I can't believe any of them could appear easy, even in hindsight.

Stillriledup
11-15-2013, 03:00 AM
When does Woodbine pay out that big carryover, anyone know?

Pensacola Pete
11-15-2013, 04:33 AM
I've played exactly one rainbow carryover, when Gulfstream had a mandatory payout earlier this year.

I play a lot of force-outs at the greyhounds (twin-tri, tri-super), though, and a good number of pick 6s in SoCal when they have a double carryover.

raybo
11-15-2013, 12:02 PM
Don't have any knowledge of these bet types, but on the surface of it, if you have to have the only winning ticket to win any money at all, then the bet is probably akin to hitting the lottery as the only winner, a million to one odds or higher (but even in the lottery they have consolation prizes so your odds may be better with the lottery).

antigeekess
11-15-2013, 12:20 PM
Don't have any knowledge of these bet types, but on the surface of it, if you have to have the only winning ticket to win any money at all, then the bet is probably akin to hitting the lottery as the only winner, a million to one odds or higher (but even in the lottery they have consolation prizes so your odds may be better with the lottery).

That's what I think, Raybo. A "lottery shot." Tempting to spend a couple bucks on a squirrelly play for the heck of it, though. Ya know, send up a flare just in case Luck has a search party out looking. ;)

raybo
11-15-2013, 12:28 PM
That's what I think, Raybo. A "lottery shot." Tempting to spend a couple bucks on a squirrelly play for the heck of it, though. Ya know, send up a flare just in case Luck has a search party out looking. ;)

Heck man, I've played a few straight superfectas (1w1w1w1) in my day (very small sample size, agreed) and can't remember every hitting one, even in a short field the odds are just too high. You might choose the right horses occasionally, but probably not in the right order. And regarding the lottery, I've NEVER played the lottery in my life, and never will, just common sense, IMO.

rrpic6
11-15-2013, 06:29 PM
Someone got it at Woodbine!

antigeekess
11-15-2013, 07:30 PM

I see that. Never woulda gotten it in a million years. Wonder how much s/he spent on the ticket/s?

raybo
11-15-2013, 10:36 PM

Someone eventually wins the lottery and several have been single tickets. That still does not change the astronomical odds against you in playing such a wager type. If 1/9 favorites only won .01% of the time would you ever play a 1/9 favorite? I wouldn't. Heck, I don't ever play them and they win over 50% of the time.

rrpic6
11-16-2013, 02:07 AM
Someone eventually wins the lottery and several have been single tickets. That still does not change the astronomical odds against you in playing such a wager type. If 1/9 favorites only won .01% of the time would you ever play a 1/9 favorite? I wouldn't. Heck, I don't ever play them and they win over 50% of the time.

I've actually have been in a group ticket that won a lottery, albeit a small one, about 100K, the Ohio Lottery "Kicker". I've also had the only ticket that scooped the pool in a few wagers in my life, so I know its possible to do this. Todays' last race had 10 horses, with 4 of the 5 longest shots running 1 thru 4. It only costs $6048 for a 20cent hi-five box, all-all-all-all-all. Or a little more than $3600 if you throw out the longest shot....or the favorite if you had the stones. I tip my cap to the sole winner today!

RR