PDA

View Full Version : What's your fondest racing memory?

shouldacoulda
11-09-2013, 07:38 AM
Reading Vic Stauffers' recollection of his first visit to Hollywood brought back some memories. What is your fondest racing memory? Not just a big score or win streak, but one that warms your heart or makes you laugh when you think of it.

For me it was a cold blustery day in the early 80's. My father was disabled and could no longer drive. I had off Wednesdays and would usually go somewhere with him when I wasn't golfing. We decided to fishing this cold day in November. When we got to the beach the wind was howling and a few stray drops of rain found us. To make it worse the fish weren't bighting. I looked at him and he at me and he said "this stinks, what time is it"? I knew right away what he was thinking. I asked "you want to go to OTB"? He reeled in his line and we were out f there in a flash. We picked up some coffee and a racing form. He wanted to pay for the coffee and I told him no, so he gave me a dollar and said take it for luck. It must have worked because we weren't there more than an hour when I hit an $85 exacta. I will never forget it. The horses names were Burn and an Argentina shipper named Doney. I still have that dollar and keep it in my wallet. Every time I see that dollar it reminds me of him and that day.

Augenj
11-09-2013, 09:11 AM
That's a great story. I don't have a poignant one like yours but this one got me hooked on horse racing forever and it took place at Hollywood Park in the early 70's.

I was doing horse racing analysis on a mainframe computer where I worked, something that would be treated with extreme prejudice today. Even back then, I had to get off until the 80's when certain people came around looking for the user who had been burning up all of their precious CPU cycles.

Anyhow, my program was a simple one that looked only at past speed ratings, finish positions, and number of horses in a race to get a "relative" finish position. I was betting a $5 exacta box that day and was present to watch the race. The program had picked 15-1 and 20-1 shots to finish 1st and 2nd. The main weakness of the program was that it overrated sprinters and I was well aware of that. These two were stretching out and had the same trainer but not coupled.

Feeling a bit disheartened, I watched them break on top, side by side, knowing they would fade towards the end. They led by several lengths in the far turn when the favorite, ridden by Laffit Pincay, started his run on them. Amazingly, he started slowing down and eventually stopped on the track as the others went by.

My two were suddenly in the stretch, side by side, and pulling away by about 15 lengths as Harry Henson called the race. I was going to win no matter which one finished first or second as long as neither one had a problem. They hit the line nose and nose, not even head bobbing. I couldn't call it but hoped the slightly longer shot was on top.

He was and after an anxious few moments to make it official, it paid $1,327.50, an amount I remember to this day and an amount that was big for its day for me. It also turned me into a horse racing degenerate for the rest of my life. :)

I wish I had a story like yours but this is all I could come up with. Sorry.

shouldacoulda
11-09-2013, 10:23 AM
Great story. That's a big payday today too.

jballscalls
11-09-2013, 10:36 AM
When my dad was sick, I would drive down from college each weekend and we'd go to Emerald Downs. As the cancer got worse, his mobility decreased, so we would just sit in the bar by the entrance. The last week he was alive we went to EmD Friday, Saturday and Sunday. I'll never forget the Sunday, my dad's sister, who he wasn't particularly fond of, came with us and got drunk and hit a huge trifecta. She was babbling all excitedly and my dad wasn't picking any winners. She went to cash her ticket and my dad looked at me, took the tubes from his oxygen tank and wrapped them around his throat and lifted his hand like he was hanging himself. He said "Death has to be better than dealing with her hitting signers" I still smile when I think of him still having his sense of humor. He died two days later. That was my last memory with him at the track, after spending years going to longacres, yakima meadows, portland meadows and then Emerald with him. He's buried on a cemetery that sits on a hill above Emerald, so from his plot, you can see the track.

So many of the races, gambling wins and losses aren't nearly as ingrained in my head as those simple times with him are.

098poi
11-09-2013, 11:08 AM
When I think of my racing memories the word fond does not usually come into it. After reading your post I am reminded too of my father. In 2008 I was home in Massachusetts and my Dad was in Florida. I called him on the phone and we watched the Big Brown Belmont together. His TV feed was a bit faster than mine and he was on the phone saying something like, "He's not going to do it, something's wrong". I said no don't say that, trying to make my TV be the right one where Big Brown wins the Triple Crown.

A year later my Dad was in the hospital in Florida and I was there with my family. We watched the Belmont again in the hospital but my Dad had fallen asleep. He saw some of the coverage after and I was impressed that he knew that Kent D. was the same jockey who lost the year before and now he won on Summer Bird. My Dad passed away 4 or 5 days later and I feel fortunate that I was there with him.

That is a fond racing memory.

deathandgravity
11-09-2013, 11:27 AM
First time visiting the track! Way back in the mid-70’s my Dad took me to the closing day of Turf Paradise. They use to run a marathon turf race back then on the final day. Old guy sitting next to us told me to bet on “Claim The Thrown”, said something about him being bred to go long (had no idea what he meant back then)…. my Dad scoffed @ him, but against my Dads wishes I had him put $2 to win. First time around he was dead last @ about 15 lengths back. My Dad looked @ me & said “that was a waste of $2”

of course… in the stretch he came out of the clouds to win going away. Only paid about $12-14, but I went on to see Claim The Thrown win several more of those closing races over the years. :jump:

classhandicapper
11-09-2013, 11:54 AM
Affirmed vs. Seattle Slew

It was kind of like Ali vs. Frazier for racing fans.

Track Phantom
11-09-2013, 12:04 PM
Like many here, my best memories of racing involve the time my dad and I spent together in the late 80's learning and playing the game at Canterbury.

I have many great stories and it's hard to find just one.

I remember one day in particular. It was the last race of the day on 9-27-87. I had talked up a longshot (15-1 ML), Diablo Royale, all day. My dad, myself and a good friend, were one of very few outside in the stands waiting for this race. We all bet more on him then we normally did (don't recall the amounts). I remember this runner (see below) at nearly 9-1 take command at the top of the lane and win easily.

We all left the track up quite a bit and the excitement seeing that runner validate our opinion was really a great feeling.

My dad has passed now, so these memories mean even more now, 26 years later.
http://i968.photobucket.com/albums/ae169/valento07/DiabloRoyale_zpsc9c3ed98.jpg">

Track Phantom
11-09-2013, 12:20 PM
...came with us and got drunk and hit a huge trifecta...
Your story is a great one. One point in your story reminded me of a story, too.

It was roughly 1990 or so. It was a Saturday and my dad and I were at the track. A friend of my dads would come out there every so often. He was a great guy but a terrible handicapper. What makes matters worse, he would drink and not have a clue if he won a race or not.

On this day, he was late arriving to the track. He walked in just as the horses were loading for the 3rd race. He thought he made it in time for the 2nd race. The 2nd race was a 5 horse field with two big favorite (#1 at 3-5 and #5 at 8-5). He ran to the window and just got in a $20 exacta box on the 1 and 5.

He walks up to us as the runners were on the backstretch. He keeps looking at his program and finally realizes he bet the wrong race. The 3rd race was a 12 horse field and he had boxed a 10-1 and 12-1. Of course, it was a 4 horse blanket finish and the 1 and 5 ran 1st and 2nd. He won 4k on the race.

Funniest part....he would have lost the bet if he got it in on the 2nd race. A longer price got in the exacta.

Made me want to burn my racing form and play colors and horse names. :bang:

CincyHorseplayer
11-09-2013, 12:49 PM
May 10,1996.I had only been into racing for a few months.I was 23yrs old and a young,proud father of a 3yo daughter.It was a Friday night and my turn to take the baby for the weekend.I was in between biweekly checks and literally had a roll of quarters and a $5 bill to my name but I liked a speed horse who had ran very fast early on muddy tracks and was catching a speed favoring track and a fast track for the first time in nearly 2 months.His name was Maybe On Monday and 22-1.Grabbed my daughter and off we went!His only rival was a 10yo named Tropical Ice who was the best claiming sprinter in probably the stae.Even so on top of the longshot it was paying $100.I bet a $3 exacta box and $4 each on top of 2 horses.They ran 1-2 with a tight duel down the strethch.My quarters were up over $150!

http://www.equibase.com/premium/eqbPDFChartPlus.cfm?RACE=13&BorP=P&TID=RD&CTRY=USA&DT=05/10/1996&DAY=D&STYLE=EQB

Amazingly the very next race I liked another longshot Beat The Press at 25-1.I didn't bet to win back then so I hooked him top and bottom to 4 other horses and $3 on top of 2 of them including the favorite.Sure enough he won by a neck over the favorite and I collected another $350.So $11 in quarters became $500!I was thrilled and it was the first time I had won like that.I really was hooked.

http://www.equibase.com/premium/eqbPDFChartPlus.cfm?RACE=14&BorP=P&TID=TDN&CTRY=USA&DT=05/10/1996&DAY=D&STYLE=EQB

And being a good catholic boy I took my grandma out to dinner.She hated that I loved the horses as one of her great loves had been a gambler in Vegas and disappeared under shady circumstances never to be heard from again.So everytime I won I took her out to eat.I think she was surprised that it happened more than once!Anyway it was a great weekend and a great summer.I still feel that way every time I play!

Ocala Mike
11-09-2013, 12:53 PM
Being at Belmont on the day that Secretariat won the TC. Still got the uncashed $2 win ticket to remind me.

Fingal
11-09-2013, 01:09 PM
Not just a big score or win streak, but one that warms your heart or makes you laugh when you think of it.

1980, first time I went to opening day at Santa Anita by myself- 9th race, just a Cal-Bred nx1 Alw but there was this future stakes horse named Eleven Stitches for Gary Jones. As he pulls away coming down the stretch there's this guy next to me who starts doing a jig & singing
" Eleven Stitches in my britches, Eleven Stitches in my britches. "

He must have had a wad on that horse. :D

mountainman
11-09-2013, 01:24 PM
My mom had been diagnosed with an aggressive oat-cell cancer and I moved in with her, not because the disease had yet taken hold -in fact, she would visit my sister in san diego, enter an elevator with Mother Teresa coincidentally onboard, receive a smile and kind pat, and see the cancer recede for 7 years (but that's another story), but simply that she was frightened at night with nobody in the house.

I was hustling picks and handicapping for some bad dudes who came by their funding in (er ,ah) creative and pro-active ways, and we were slumping-seriously slumping. With mom and I perilously behind on bills, I headed to the races one night when she happened to be sick-and despondent-in bed.

My backers and I hit the first race, and the second, and the third..etc etc etc etc etc..a string of winners mostly at good odds. These were bold, well-heeled guys who liked to let fly on gimmicks. Consequently, as the night progressed, a pile of money stacked between us (in neat $500 wrappers) on the bleachers grew and grew.

Meanwhile, unbeknownst to my backers, a considerable sum of my own was bulging in my pockets. (If you told those dudes you were scoring on your own
you ran an excellent chance of getting screwed out of your cut.)

Jubilant and feeling magnanimous at the end of the evening, they invited me to stuff as much as I could into my already bursting pockets. Luckily, it was chilly and I'd worn a jacket, which I simply unzipped and shoved dozens of those stacks into.

My voice trembled when I got home and called for mom to come out. "I think our problems are over for now" was all I got out before we both began to sob.

No words for how much I miss her.

Robert Fischer
11-09-2013, 01:52 PM
It was pouring down rain, and my father hit a trifecta for several thousand and afterwards bought me one of the "gold glove series" baseball gloves.

Augenj
11-09-2013, 01:56 PM
Being at Belmont on the day that Secretariat won the TC. Still got the uncashed $2 win ticket to remind me.
That was a race of perfection. Wish I had been there.
Secretariat at Belmont (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=k-KvaeuIIsw)

dnlgfnk
11-09-2013, 02:34 PM
11/8/80 (the anniversary was yesterday).

I had initial success in the late '70's grinding out a small profit after slavishly following Beyer's checklist in the last chapter of "Picking Winners", but I was becoming frustrated with the figures usually pointing to the oft-disappointing favorites.

When "My 50k Year" mentioned the success of trip 'capper "Charlie", I was fascinated. As Beyer occasionally described Charlie's exploits in the WaPo throughout 1980, I became obsessed with what I thought at the time was trip handicapping's ideal situation... lone speed and saving ground on the turns.

That evening at Fairmount Park, I invested $60 in a straight "J'Hawker" (7-1) and "Promise Me Wine" (50-1) daily double. They both wired their fields easily. As Promise Me Wine passed the eighth pole, I was surprised at how expectantly calm I began walking to the window. The mutuel clerk (a dead ringer for Jack Lemmon) said, "You're gonna need a wheelbarrow, fella".

Staying a race or two longer to insure my surroundings, I walked quickly to my car, and laughed all the way home to the St. Louis burbs. A few years later, Cardinal's pitcher Bob Forsch stated that when he thought about winning the '82 series while driving around, he would bust out laughing. I knew what he meant.

JustRalph
11-09-2013, 02:48 PM
1980, first time I went to opening day at Santa Anita by myself- 9th race, just a Cal-Bred nx1 Alw but there was this future stakes horse named Eleven Stitches for Gary Jones. As he pulls away coming down the stretch there's this guy next to me who starts doing a jig & singing
" Eleven Stitches in my britches, Eleven Stitches in my britches. "

He must have had a wad on that horse. :D

That was me. I had a vasectomy the day before............

andtheyreoff
11-09-2013, 03:56 PM
Rachel Alexandra's Woodward in 2009.

Nothing could top that, IMO- not even being there for a Triple Crown.

Jeff P
11-09-2013, 05:06 PM
Early to mid 1980's...

I was a college student at ASU. My grandparents had driven their mid-1960's Chrysler Newport (a 'boat' if there ever was one) on a cross country road trip and had stopped in Phoenix to visit my parents. That weekend I came home from college (laundry and all.) My grandfather was a character (he owned a dive bar in Atlantic City NJ) and I recall him reading the sports section of the AZ Republic that Sunday morning. Upon seeing Saturday's charts for Turf Paradise, he addressed me by name.

"Jeffrey," he said, his eyes peering over the top of the paper, "I assume your father raised you right and you've been to the races?"

I took in his expression and saw he had realized there was a race track in this town. "As a matter of fact my father did raise me right," I said, smiling.

My mother and grandmother exchanged glances.

Before either could speak my grandfather said "Good. You and I are going to the races today."

-----------------

3.5 hrs later...

"Are you going to bet?" my grandfather asked. "Or are you just going to sit there all day playing with that calculator?"

I had finished with races 1-6 and was about halfway through race 7. Punching the keys as fast as I could - I was using a pocket calculator to work up my own numbers for each of the horses... a class rating combining earnings per start and average purse value... and a pace calculation that gave me velocity in feet per second on the turn.

"Haven't spotted anything worth betting yet," I said without looking up.

"Suit yourself, he said and then stood up. "I'm going to bet the 4 horse. He's 9/2 and both Sweeps and the Trackman have him as their second choice."

-----------------

90 minutes later...

"How much are you down?" I asked, standing up intent on heading to the window for the first time that afternoon.

"About $20.00 give or take," my grandfather said. "Why?"

"The #3 horse Mountain Marine," I said, pointing at my numbers scribbled next to his name on the racing form. "He's faster than the others and he outclasses them." I looked up at the tote board. "Right now he's 10-1," I added.

"Yeah?" he asked.

"Yeah," I said.

"Strong opinion?" he asked.

"Strong opinion," I said.

"How strong?" he asked.

I opened my wallet and thumbed through the bills. I counted $42.00. I knew I needed at least $30.00 of that for the coming week.

"$30.00" I said.

"On the nose?" he asked.

I had been thinking more along the lines of $10 win and $20 place, but detected something in his voice that told me I was being tested.

"On the nose." I said evenly.

Now that I'm in my fifties and looking back as I type this... I realize I MISS doing that kind of math from my twenties!

He looked me directly in the eye, testing to see if I would waiver. When I didn't flinch, he opened his wallet and handed me $30.00.

"On the nose," he said. "Same as you."

-----------------

A few minutes later...

The gate opened and the horse settled just in behind the leaders, getting one of those pocket trips along the temp rail on the turf. Midway around the far turn, the rider tipped out for room and the horse began his run in earnest. By mid stretch he was rallying down the outside and mowing them down. He swept by the leader at the sixteenth pole and won going away by about two lengths.

Walking to the car in the parking lot after the last race my grandfather asked me "And that was the only horse you bet today?"

"That was the only one that came up," I answered.

-----------------

A few minutes later... upon returning to my parent's house.

"How'd we do today?" my grandmother asked. "Did we win any money?"

"Brutal day," my grandfather said, shaking his head. "Just brutal. ALL DAY LONG, nothing but favorites. And you KNOW I NEVER BET FAVORITES."

-jp

Overlay
11-09-2013, 06:09 PM
Being at Belmont Park to watch Forego, carrying Bill Shoemaker and 137 pounds, run down Honest Pleasure to win the Marlboro Cup on 2 October 1976 (a month before I moved away from New York).

aMJjiWXCM3s

shouldacoulda
11-09-2013, 09:44 PM
I envy you. I remember watching that with my dad on a little black and white TV. He was going nuts. He thought Turcotte was going to kill the horse. He was as stunned as the rest of the racing world when he crossed the wire. I tried to explain the enormity of that athletic feat by Secretariat to a younger kid who wasn't even born yet when it happened. He didn't, and still doesn't have a clue. Sometimes I watch the replay on youtube. As many times as I've seen it I am still amazed.

onefast99
11-10-2013, 10:06 AM
10 years ago November 9th 2003 we ran our 1st horse at Aqueduct, Aspenflower. Not only was this our first race ever but we were the favorite and JR Valasquez was in the saddle. I listened intently as the trainer told John what he wanted him to do in the race where he should be headed for home and not to get the horse buried on the rail and in a flash they headed out of the paddock towards the main track. As nervous as I was I still calmly made my bets and walked back to the clubhouse with my trainer to watch the race. My trainer told me we would get claimed as Mike Micelli was looking real hard at us all the way to the gate, and that left me feeling sick as I felt, not knowing any better at that time, that our horse was like a family pet who we visited three or four times a week and our entire family got mentally attached to her let alone the numerous carrots and apple slices she ate from our hands and the love we had for her. The race was what one would expect from a popular horse in the claim box, aspenflower made a huge move in the stretch only to come up a half length short to Private Port. That is my fondest memory of the track the race was over in moments but the memories for me and my family will last a lifetime!

tampahorseplayer
11-10-2013, 09:37 PM
My dad passed away last month, its been hard but the memories together at the track stick the most. He worked every day in his life until 82 years of age. About 15 years ago his work truck broke down, and when it was in the shop I drove him to the track, first few times just dropped him off, racing didn't interest me much. One time I had nothing to do and was bored so I went on in with him. I knew nothing about betting and I had a single dollar bill in my pocket along with a hundred, I asked dad what the best bet was and he said trifecta. Tampa was running live and I remember it was a 12 horse race. I bet 413 str8 for 1.00. It comes in for 800 something. It was the most exciting thing Ive ever experienced. As I was getting my money and signing for the irs, I noticed a simulcast dog race, I asked the teller if I could do a 1.00 str8 tri, she said no can do its 2.00 minimum. I bet the Tampa area code 813, it comes in and Im pretty sure I took the whole pool down for like 3k. I left right after getting my money and I threw dad 3 Benjamin's, he was just stunned. All these years later I cant believe the luck I had that day, I cant hit a str8 tri in a 3 horse field lol. I miss you pops, keep the cribbage board warmed up for me.

judd
11-11-2013, 05:24 AM
was a meadows harness track in the 80s, looked at board and played $2 trifecta box on my license plate 4 2 7 -came in 742--paid over $5,000:)

so much for handicapping:D

limit2
11-11-2013, 06:55 AM
For me, was the day I realized that I could design and develop racetrack systems on a par with the experts of the game. Very little handicapping and a lot of money management strategies. This all happened recently after many years of play and a lot of losing. The main tenet of play is a reversal of criteria where the race becomes more important than the horses within the race. This idea gave rise to a Race Selection Matrix in which the quality of the race matched with the number of entries as primary. Now, all that is required is consistency and discipline to follow the rules, monitor the progress and build a portfolio on a step-by-step process.

Stillriledup
01-21-2015, 06:29 PM
Like many here, my best memories of racing involve the time my dad and I spent together in the late 80's learning and playing the game at Canterbury.

I have many great stories and it's hard to find just one.

I remember one day in particular. It was the last race of the day on 9-27-87. I had talked up a longshot (15-1 ML), Diablo Royale, all day. My dad, myself and a good friend, were one of very few outside in the stands waiting for this race. We all bet more on him then we normally did (don't recall the amounts). I remember this runner (see below) at nearly 9-1 take command at the top of the lane and win easily.

We all left the track up quite a bit and the excitement seeing that runner validate our opinion was really a great feeling.

My dad has passed now, so these memories mean even more now, 26 years later.
http://i968.photobucket.com/albums/ae169/valento07/DiabloRoyale_zpsc9c3ed98.jpg">

I've never seen PPs where the horse was "26" that's awesome you were able to dig up that PP of an obscure horse.

Great topic was worth bumping. ;)

lamboguy
01-21-2015, 07:10 PM
my favorite race was the Pa. Derby when BROAD BRUSH bolted to the outside rail and Angel Cordero kept the horse together and he wound up winning the race.

elhelmete
01-21-2015, 07:16 PM
Just so happened my dad was visiting (from Boston to LA) on a weekend when a horse that I had a share of was running. Ended up winning and setting a track record, and dad joined us in the win pic. On top of that it was probably the best betting day I've seen my dad have...ever. Wheelbarrow type of day.

Inner Dirt
01-21-2015, 08:02 PM
I had a friend who would go to Santa Anita with be from time to time I believe it was the mid 80's and my max wager was $100. My friend gambled but liked the NFL and the NBA mostly betting with bookmakers. He would bet $100 on a football game but never went over $20 on a horse race. The feature was the San Juan Capistrano 1 3/4 miles on turf. Prince True, the only closer in a field loaded with speed was the 3-2 favorite. I talked my friend into joining me betting $100, he reluctantly went with me. Past the stands the first time Prince True was dead last but at least he wasn't gaping. Heading into the backstretch he was still last, but the second to last horse was 5+ lengths in front of him. Greg was calling me every name in the book. The pace was insane, Prince True was already picking off the back markers before entering the far turn and had a head in front turning for home. He won easily by a half dozen lengths or so, all of a sudden I was Greg's best friend.

Stillriledup
01-21-2015, 08:37 PM
my favorite race was the Pa. Derby when BROAD BRUSH bolted to the outside rail and Angel Cordero kept the horse together and he wound up winning the race.

tmg5pOSBEEE

thespaah
01-21-2015, 08:57 PM
tmg5pOSBEEE
I was there!

thespaah
01-21-2015, 09:06 PM
Aug 27th, 1977.. Saratoga....Affirmed vs Alydar.....Round one....In the Hopeful..
Still have the program.

Stillriledup
01-21-2015, 09:12 PM
Now that Spaah mentions being at a very rainy Pa Derby w Broad Brush, Some of my most fond memories are being at tracks when its pouring rain and other elements, snow, sleet and whatnut. I love being there live when the conditions are horrible....i've had some "fond" memories of being at icy cold and or rainy tracks.

Ocala Mike
01-21-2015, 09:55 PM
Nothing will ever compare to being at Belmont Park on the top floor of the grandstand on June 9, 1973 for the 8th race.

The :2: horse won by 31 lengths.

Stillriledup
01-21-2015, 10:22 PM
Nothing will ever compare to being at Belmont Park on the top floor of the grandstand on June 9, 1973 for the 8th race.

The :2: horse won by 31 lengths.

Cmon, you weren't there.

Were you? :confused:

jahura2
01-21-2015, 10:51 PM
Ky. Oaks day about 10-12 years ago. I had been given 2 tickets to an infield clubhouse box at Churchill from a friend at Fasig-Tipton. I took my daughter who was graduating from college that year, seats right on the finish line of the turf course,open bar, buffet and I was seated with some pretty wealthy people and as Trotter would say "I was having a very good day" touted them on a 50-1 shot in the turf sprint and it won in a blanket finish. Had a nice exacta and across the board bets and a lot of the wealthy novices cashed tickets also on the same horse. The fact that I was right in front of the horsey set meant more than the winnings actually. This was my "Let it Ride Day"
Fond memory 1A, also at Churchill, in the clubhouse at the finish line when Personal Ensign ran down Winning Colors in the slop at Churchills 1st Breeders Cup.

Stillriledup
01-21-2015, 11:17 PM
Ky. Oaks day about 10-12 years ago. I had been given 2 tickets to an infield clubhouse box at Churchill from a friend at Fasig-Tipton. I took my daughter who was graduating from college that year, seats right on the finish line of the turf course,open bar, buffet and I was seated with some pretty wealthy people and as Trotter would say "I was having a very good day" touted them on a 50-1 shot in the turf sprint and it won in a blanket finish. Had a nice exacta and across the board bets and a lot of the wealthy novices cashed tickets also on the same horse. The fact that I was right in front of the horsey set meant more than the winnings actually. This was my "Let it Ride Day"
Fond memory 1A, also at Churchill, in the clubhouse at the finish line when Personal Ensign ran down Winning Colors in the slop at Churchills 1st Breeders Cup.

That's an incredible feeling when you get the money yourself and help someone else make cash....they're eternally grateful and you get to bask in the glow of being a "genius" nothing better than that!

RacingFan1992
01-22-2015, 12:32 AM
This is a memory I will never forget but I am not fond of it. I was waiting to watch the Breeders' Cup 2010 to see this undefeated horse I saw on 60 minutes to see if she could extend her streak. Joe Paterno and Penn State were playing. I was flipping through the channels and I could not find it then as Joe Paterno was being celebrated for his 400 wins I began to curse him, wishing bad stuff would happen because I thought the game ran long and I missed it. I was mad because I missed it and because in the sports ticker at the bottom it read that Zenyatta lost her final race which really pissed me off. I held a grudge for a while against Paterno and Penn State then the whole incident with Sandusky occurred I came to find out the race was on ESPN instead of the local channels like NBC, CBS, or ABC. Be careful what you wish for I can just say that much.

Track Phantom
01-22-2015, 02:36 AM
Here's a story I never forgot....

It was around 1989. I was 21 and would go out to the bars with friends basically every night during the summer when home from college. On this Friday Night, I got home from the bar around 2:30 AM and decided to handicap a few of the races for Saturday. I only got through the first two races before I had to shut it down...nearly passed out. I had an 8-1 ML runner in the first leg I liked a lot (believe his name was Native Act).

The races started at 1:00 PM on Saturday and it was a 45 minute drive. I woke up late, at noon, and was all out to throw myself together and get out the door. I grabbed my stuff, dove into the car, squealed out of the driveway and I was on my way. It was going to be very close if I would make it for the first race.

I was glancing at my form, driving on two wheels as I passed cars and opened it up to 90 wherever I could. Not exactly safe. But, luckily, I made it at 12:50, parked, ran to the back entrance, flashed my free admission badge and ran up the stairs to the outside betting windows. I glanced to the track and noticed it was 4 minutes to post. Whew....I had made it.

I checked out my horse in the first race. He was on the board at 6-1. I decided to wheel him with 4 horses in the second race in the daily double for $5 and put $60 to win on him. I was an absolute $2 player in those days so this was really stepping out. (I don't recall exactly but it may have been the largest bet I had made up to that point).

I walked up to the window, reached for my wallet and.....nothing!!?!?! In my haste, I grabbed everything but my wallet. I didn't have a nickle on me. The deflation in my body was palpable. I was in utter shock and just turned around, walked to the seat in the top left corner outside and sat down. More like sulked down. The last couple of horses were loading.

Of course I didn't even need to watch the race. Any longtime horse player knows the outcome in this scenario. While he was a legitimate 6-1 chance if I had my wallet, he was now a 1-9 shot. There has never been a more sure thing.

The race unfolded as I expected with him sitting just behind the speed, rolling up on the outside and already had the lead at the top of the stretch. I had this weird battle in my mind. I wanted him to win to validate my opinion but wanted him to lose so I wouldn't throw up on the way home.

He won.

I actually waited for the 2nd race. Not sure why I was putting myself through this but I felt I needed to see the race. One of my four runners won the 2nd race and to my recollection, I cost myself a bit over $700 profit by forgetting my wallet.

The game can be cruel. I think it's just part of the equation. It took a while, but now it makes me laugh.

Stillriledup
01-22-2015, 03:19 AM

It was around 1989. I was 21 and would go out to the bars with friends basically every night during the summer when home from college. On this Friday Night, I got home from the bar around 2:30 AM and decided to handicap a few of the races for Saturday. I only got through the first two races before I had to shut it down...nearly passed out. I had an 8-1 ML runner in the first leg I liked a lot (believe his name was Native Act).

The races started at 1:00 PM on Saturday and it was a 45 minute drive. I woke up late, at noon, and was all out to throw myself together and get out the door. I grabbed my stuff, dove into the car, squealed out of the driveway and I was on my way. It was going to be very close if I would make it for the first race.

I was glancing at my form, driving on two wheels as I passed cars and opened it up to 90 wherever I could. Not exactly safe. But, luckily, I made it at 12:50, parked, ran to the back entrance, flashed my free admission badge and ran up the stairs to the outside betting windows. I glanced to the track and noticed it was 4 minutes to post. Whew....I had made it.

I checked out my horse in the first race. He was on the board at 6-1. I decided to wheel him with 4 horses in the second race in the daily double for $5 and put $60 to win on him. I was an absolute $2 player in those days so this was really stepping out. (I don't recall exactly but it may have been the largest bet I had made up to that point).

I walked up to the window, reached for my wallet and.....nothing!!?!?! In my haste, I grabbed everything but my wallet. I didn't have a nickle on me. The deflation in my body was palpable. I was in utter shock and just turned around, walked to the seat in the top left corner outside and sat down. More like sulked down. The last couple of horses were loading.

Of course I didn't even need to watch the race. Any longtime horse player knows the outcome in this scenario. While he was a legitimate 6-1 chance if I had my wallet, he was now a 1-9 shot. There has never been a more sure thing.

The race unfolded as I expected with him sitting just behind the speed, rolling up on the outside and already had the lead at the top of the stretch. I had this weird battle in my mind. I wanted him to win to validate my opinion but wanted him to lose so I wouldn't throw up on the way home.

He won.

I actually waited for the 2nd race. Not sure why I was putting myself through this but I felt I needed to see the race. One of my four runners won the 2nd race and to my recollection, I cost myself a bit over $700 profit by forgetting my wallet.

The game can be cruel. I think it's just part of the equation. It took a while, but now it makes me laugh.

That's a brutal reality.....i know the feeling when something happens and you just know that there's no way in the world that horse can ever get beat. In fact, you don't even root against the horse because you know there's no use.

Look on the bright side, you could have gotten a ticket on the way to the track and not had your ID on you.

arw629
01-22-2015, 03:31 AM
Some of the funniest statements I've heard at an OTB etched in my memory forever:

Guy after losing a bet at Penn National: "I can't believe with all of the terrorists in the world they still haven't bombed Penn National."

Same guy after a few long shots came in at Hollywood Park: "I'd rather go to a crucifixion than place a bet on Hollywood."

Witty loud guy every single race in the stretch yelling at the tv: "Hit him in the nuts." --If it were fillies: "Hit her in the belly."

My drunk friend after hitting a 9-1 shot he proclaimed to the otb crowd, "Nine to one are you kidding me!?!? Shoulda been 1-9."

One of my fondest memories gambling happened this past summer. I deposited $55 into my betamerica account. I typically just play win bets with occasional double and exacta bets....here and there I'll play a pick 4 or 5 but 14 out of 15 bets i make are win bets.......anyway....I started out with $55 and hit a few winners to take me up to $155....I then put $50 on a 7-2 I liked who came in....I was off and rolling....everything I bet was coming in....before long I was up two grand.....By now I am feeling super confident and betting more than I'm accustomed to. The entire time I tried to humble myself knowing that I could not keep it up....The last race at del mar that day (august 27th, 2014) there was a first time starter named Devil's Beauty that caught my attention on paper in a race that lacked any standouts. I bet $75 to win on her at 23-1 and she rolled home. I couldn't believe it. I turned the $55 I started with that day into $4800 making strictly win bets and maybe an exacta or double or two.....Never again will I be that hot nor will I ever forget Devil's Beauty.

Track Phantom
01-22-2015, 04:48 AM
One more "funny" story....well, not so funny.

About 7-8 years ago, I come home from work at about 3PM. I had a meeting across town at 4PM and had time to pop home on my way there. It took about 15 minutes to get to the meeting so I thought I would fire up my betting account and see what races were being shown on TVG. I believe it was Delaware Park.

This was a Monday and I had a great weekend betting and had about 3500 in my account. I was feeling cocky and decided to make a bet without even looking at the form. It was a 10 horse field and, for absolutely no reason, I chose the 10. I decide to bet $20 to win on it.

I selected the denomination of $20, selected win and then, at the last second, I decide to change my mind and do a $1 trifecta 10 over 7 over ALL. I put it in and hit submit. Problem is, I forgot to change the denomination from $20 to $1 and I had just submitted a $160 bet ($20 trifecta 10 over 7 over ALL).

At this time, in order to cancel a bet, I had to call in. The horses were loading in the gate and I almost said f@*k it, I'll never get it canceled in time. But, I decided this was a stupid thing to do and I needed to at least try to cancel it.

I called in, the lady answered and I said I'd like to cancel the bet. She asked how long to post is it. I told her they were loading. She said "oh, we need at least 5 minutes". I asked her if she would at least try to cancel it. She says OK.

She asks for my information, my bet ID # or something like that and she is yelling it to someone else who must have been in position to cancel. All the while, I'm watching the last horse go in the gate and thinking, this is silly, there is no chance they'll get it canceled.

As she is yelling to this other lady, a horse starts acting up in the gate. I start thinking, they might get this canceled. So, I tee up a $1 tri 10 over 7 over all and am ready to submit if they tell me it is canceled and the runners haven't left the gate.

30 seconds more go by....horses not out of the gate. Another 15 seconds. Still waiting for her to tell me the verdict. Finally, she says, "we got it canceled". As soon as she said it, I hit submit and a big red sign appears telling me I was too late. The runners had just gone off.

I watched in paralyzed terror when the 7 had the lead turning for home and the 10 was ranging alongside. No one else was near those two. It wasn't even close to a losing bet. The 10 may have won by five lengths and the 7 was at least six to eight lengths in front of third. The finishing odds were 8-1 over 6-1 over 12-1.

I couldn't believe it when it happened, the day after it happened, a year later or even now.

I had to leave for my meeting. I got there, walked in, powered up my laptop and heard what sounded like the teacher in the Peanuts cartoons mumbling in the background. While they were talking, I was calculating how much the tri would have paid with my money in the pool. I can't recall what it paid without my $20 hit but was able to figure it would have paid $1200 (for $2) with my bet. Thus, my take would have been $12,000. The rest of that day was a complete blur.

All of the things that had to happen for me not to cash there. The ADW rep had to be "nice enough" to try to cancel my bet in the first place, horses had to act up to delay the start and they had to get it canceled in time but not save even 2 seconds for me to hit submit on the dollar version I had tee'd up.

I think I lost the remaining 3500 that was in my account in 36 hours from missing that bet.

wisconsin
01-22-2015, 10:51 AM
One day in 1995 or 1996 I was at Dairyland (Kenosha) to play the horses. I could not do anything right, and was down about $500. There was a stakes race at Golden Gate on the grass, and I finally hit a $20 exacta that paid around $55 bucks and a $10 Quinella that paid $45.

After that, I was in the black again, and then I went on this crazy roll, starting with a super on the dogs at Dairlyland itself. Instead of heading for home, I was on fire, hitting something like 5 straight $20 exactas at Penn, Mountaineer, and I think Garden State. An then another Super in the evening dog card that was a signer, and some nice win bets. All the time, just stuffing money everywhere, never counting it.

I finally arrived home at about 11pm or so, and my then 11 year old son was up watching a movie. I laid a pile of cash in disarray on the kitchen table and we counted it together, something like $3900. It was absolutely nuts. Never had another day like it.

Stoleitbreezing
01-22-2015, 11:18 AM
One day in 1995 or 1996 I was at Dairyland (Kenosha) to play the horses. I could not do anything right, and was down about $500. There was a stakes race at Golden Gate on the grass, and I finally hit a $20 exacta that paid around $55 bucks and a $10 Quinella that paid $45.

After that, I was in the black again, and then I went on this crazy roll, starting with a super on the dogs at Dairlyland itself. Instead of heading for home, I was on fire, hitting something like 5 straight $20 exactas at Penn, Mountaineer, and I think Garden State. An then another Super in the evening dog card that was a signer, and some nice win bets. All the time, just stuffing money everywhere, never counting it.

I finally arrived home at about 11pm or so, and my then 11 year old son was up watching a movie. I laid a pile of cash in disarray on the kitchen table and we counted it together, something like $3900. It was absolutely nuts. Never had another day like it.

That's a nice story. Always amazes me how good one can be when they go on one of those heaters!

Its a shame Dairyland closed as I drive by it on occassion having relocated to Kenosha after I got married in late 2013. I'm wondering if Kenosha will ever get an OTB or the dogs again. Until then I'll have to use my ADW or travel to the Waukegan IL OTB.

Inner Dirt
01-22-2015, 11:31 AM
To add to the list of things morons say at the track. A very low skilled but loud patron of the OTB was watching his horse lose a head bob on a slow motion replay. He lost by the width of a pencil and got the absolute worst of the head bob, his horse had his head in the full up position while the winning horse had his head down. The guy then runs around screaming "The stupid jockey did not hold the horses head down at the wire." I don't think I have ever heard anything dumber than that uttered at the track or OTB.

Ocala Mike
01-22-2015, 01:37 PM
Cmon, you weren't there.

Were you? :confused:

SRU, I'm 73 years old. Wifey and I were there for it, and she still has a winning uncashed $2 win ticket on Big Red purchased at window 383. She never lets me forget that she cashed the exacta with Campo's Twice A Prince while I tore up my tickets with My Gallant.

Inner Dirt
01-22-2015, 02:00 PM
Seeing Secretariat win the Triple Crown in person, that is awesome. I did see it on TV, I was 12 and only because my grandma watched horse racing on TV.
At the time I didn't understand he should have stopped after running 6 furlongs in 1:09 and change.

My only things I saw in person of consequence were Cigar getting his winning streak snapped at Del Mar, Spectacular Bid setting the 7f track record at Santa Anita (In 1980 that still stands today) and Niatross setting a then record mile of 1:52.1 in the 1980 American Pacing Classic at Hollywood Park.

elhelmete
01-22-2015, 02:13 PM
.i've had some "fond" memories of being at icy cold and or rainy tracks.

Oddly enough, me too. That sharp smell of icy air mixed with a little diesel and horse crap and wet dirt. Rockingham and Suffolk for sure.

Stillriledup
01-22-2015, 02:29 PM
SRU, I'm 73 years old. Wifey and I were there for it, and she still has a winning uncashed $2 win ticket on Big Red purchased at window 383. She never lets me forget that she cashed the exacta with Campo's Twice A Prince while I tore up my tickets with My Gallant.

I think being there is the holy grail of horse racing for fans, amazing that you were there. Did it feel like the "holy grail" when you were there or did this race seem to take on more "mythical proportions" as time has worn on?

Stillriledup
01-22-2015, 02:35 PM
Oddly enough, me too. That sharp smell of icy air mixed with a little diesel and horse crap and wet dirt. Rockingham and Suffolk for sure.

Its really hard to explain because i'm normally one who complains about rain and cold (and a million other things :D ) so for me to feel "warm and fuzzy" about wind, rain and elements is odd for sure. I kind of like the feeling of being one of the only ones at the track...now, as a racing supporter it would be better if the granstands were packed on a daily basis, but as far as the place being 'empty' that's a great feeling knowing you kinda have run of the place.

Inner Dirt
01-22-2015, 03:25 PM
Was at the Kentucky Derby in 1999 and was watching them film this dressed up young lady that was probably doing one of those human interest stories.
When the camera was rolling she was all sweet and pleasant as soon as they yelled "cut" and said to start again she started screaming obscenities and complained about how bleeping hot it was and how stupid what she was doing was. She was like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hide.

Overlay
01-22-2015, 04:27 PM
In-person: Being at Belmont Park to see Forego with 137 pounds and Bill Shoemaker run down Honest Pleasure at the wire in the 1976 Marlboro Cup

Any race: Seeing Affirmed and Alydar duke it out in the telecast of the 1978 Belmont (which I watched in Chicago).

wisconsin
01-22-2015, 06:23 PM
That's a nice story. Always amazes me how good one can be when they go on one of those heaters!

Its a shame Dairyland closed as I drive by it on occassion having relocated to Kenosha after I got married in late 2013. I'm wondering if Kenosha will ever get an OTB or the dogs again. Until then I'll have to use my ADW or travel to the Waukegan IL OTB.

I lived for some time on the east side of Milwaukee. It was a long ride all the way down to Cicero, especially on a weekday. When Intertrack came to be, only had to go to Arlington (before the fire). They first used the 2nd floor and then finally opened the 3rd floor area.

Then, Waukegan opened up. Not too bad of a ride, but when Dairyland opened, that was sweet. Then, moved out to Mukwonago and Richmond, IL opend. That was nicer. Then, Geneva Lakes Kennel Club began to simulcast. 20 minute ride for me! But they, too, closed.

Potawatomi is about 25 minutes, but not a big fan. AWD mostly for me.

Ocala Mike
01-23-2015, 12:54 AM
Did it feel like the "holy grail" when you were there or did this race seem to take on more "mythical proportions" as time has worn on?

The latter, for sure.

burnsy
01-23-2015, 08:35 AM
There's a few and none of them have to do with cashing or losing, its the reasons I love being at the track. The horses: when I was 16, I went to the Travers.....Affirmed vs. Alydar. There were special bleachers put up on the apron to accommodate the huge crowd. It was so exciting and after that I was hooked on thoroughbred horse racing.

Working at the track on the backstretch in the morning. I was a hot walker while I went to college and more recently I did a security guard stint for NYRA during the Saratoga meet........5am-1pm shift, just in time to change and be in the track by the second race. Seeing all the work that goes on, the horses, the people...I would of done that shit for free.

The people: When my grandparents got older, my dad built a house with an in-law apartment. They lived on Long Island but were having trouble getting around. So my folks moved them to Saratoga. That summer my grandfather would go to the track with me. It wasn't about gambling, it was about hanging with him and having beer, shooting the shit. One day we left the track and I was driving him home in his car. We got home, my parents only lived about 8 blocks from the track. Grandpa got out of the car and told me to keep the keys, the car was mine. I came to the realization that he would not be around much longer and he wasn't. As I age myself, I now know there are times like that you never get back. Life is short, soak it up, do what you want and love to do, with the people that are closest to you.

Johnny V
01-23-2015, 09:33 AM
I think being there is the holy grail of horse racing for fans, amazing that you were there. Did it feel like the "holy grail" when you were there or did this race seem to take on more "mythical proportions" as time has worn on?
I was there and I feel the same way as Ocala Mike; it took on more mythical proportions as time went on. The general mood that day was that Secretariat was going to do it and I was expecting to see my first TC winner. While the fans were excited during the race and watching Secretariat come home like he did to cheers and applause it was nothing like the noise level and excitement during Affirmed's Belmont. Not even close IMO.

Stillriledup
01-23-2015, 03:36 PM
I was there and I feel the same way as Ocala Mike; it took on more mythical proportions as time went on. The general mood that day was that Secretariat was going to do it and I was expecting to see my first TC winner. While the fans were excited during the race and watching Secretariat come home like he did to cheers and applause it was nothing like the noise level and excitement during Affirmed's Belmont. Not even close IMO.

Interesting perpsective on the noise levels. Maybe the extra noise had to do with the close finish and that "Excites" people more than a 31 length win, even if the 31 length win is an epic racing situation.

Ocala Mike
01-23-2015, 04:08 PM
As I age myself, I now know there are times like that you never get back. Life is short, soak it up, do what you want and love to do, with the people that are closest to you.

Truly, words to live by! :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

whodoyoulike
01-23-2015, 06:17 PM
I always enjoyed going to the paddock area especially when one of the major stake races was running. Observing what classy horses looked like and eating popcorn while looking over the PP's. I think those were the best of times.

thespaah
01-23-2015, 11:50 PM
Now that Spaah mentions being at a very rainy Pa Derby w Broad Brush, Some of my most fond memories are being at tracks when its pouring rain and other elements, snow, sleet and whatnut. I love being there live when the conditions are horrible....i've had some "fond" memories of being at icy cold and or rainy tracks.
Ya know what....I have had more successful days on off tracks than unsuccessful....Maybe I just concentrate more on my handicapping. Maybe I just have a better eye for horses that like the off going....
Maybe I just get lucky.....
We drove down from Northern NJ at like 9 am or maybe 10....It was just cloudy. As we got to about half way, the sky started letting us know it was boss.
One of the guys I was with wanted to head home. He was out voted.

thespaah
01-23-2015, 11:55 PM

He won.

Jesus Christ.....

thespaah
01-24-2015, 12:05 AM
Some of the funniest statements I've heard at an OTB etched in my memory forever:

Guy after losing a bet at Penn National: "I can't believe with all of the terrorists in the world they still haven't bombed Penn National."

Same guy after a few long shots came in at Hollywood Park: "I'd rather go to a crucifixion than place a bet on Hollywood."

Witty loud guy every single race in the stretch yelling at the tv: "Hit him in the nuts." --If it were fillies: "Hit her in the belly."

My drunk friend after hitting a 9-1 shot he proclaimed to the otb crowd, "Nine to one are you kidding me!?!? Shoulda been 1-9."

One of my fondest memories gambling happened this past summer. I deposited $55 into my betamerica account. I typically just play win bets with occasional double and exacta bets....here and there I'll play a pick 4 or 5 but 14 out of 15 bets i make are win bets.......anyway....I started out with $55 and hit a few winners to take me up to $155....I then put $50 on a 7-2 I liked who came in....I was off and rolling....everything I bet was coming in....before long I was up two grand.....By now I am feeling super confident and betting more than I'm accustomed to. The entire time I tried to humble myself knowing that I could not keep it up....The last race at del mar that day (august 27th, 2014) there was a first time starter named Devil's Beauty that caught my attention on paper in a race that lacked any standouts. I bet $75 to win on her at 23-1 and she rolled home. I couldn't believe it. I turned the $55 I started with that day into $4800 making strictly win bets and maybe an exacta or double or two.....Never again will I be that hot nor will I ever forget Devil's Beauty.
Now THAT is a " Jay Trotter".....