PDA

View Full Version : Illinois racing

Irish Boy
11-08-2013, 09:41 PM
I've relocated to Minneapolis to work so I'm out of the loop here, but just so I'm straight on this:

http://www.drf.com/news/illinois-legislature-takes-no-action-address-funding-2014-racing

Hawthorne, et al., are willing to destroy racing in Illinois (including their own interests) if they don't get an extra half percent from all OTB wagers and one percent from ADW wagers.

Not another dime from me. Absolutely terrible.

Al Gobbi
11-08-2013, 10:04 PM
I wonder how many people would miss Hawthorne if it closed? Not many I would think.

olddaddy
11-08-2013, 11:28 PM
I have boycotted Illinois racing since the last debacle. I lost the use of my ADW for a half of last year and didnt forget that. Im to the point where I really dont care anymore, let them close the tracks and close down the ADWs, Ill find another interest.

thaskalos
11-09-2013, 12:52 AM
I would much rather bet Hawthorne than Arlington.

illinoisbred
11-09-2013, 07:16 AM
Illinois racing is all I know and have played since 1982. I've always fretted about these continual games of High Noon and the fact the 2 remaining tracks just don't get along or are ever willing to cooperate to resolve these ongoing issues. I'm to the point that I just don't care any longer..whatever will be,will be. Seriously thinking about abandoning my comfort zone and taking my play elsewhere.

forced89
11-09-2013, 09:16 AM
I love Tuesday afternoons at Fairmount Park!

therussmeister
11-09-2013, 11:36 AM
I would much rather bet Hawthorne than Arlington.
When I was playing Chicago tracks regularly, I would too. I think when some people think of Hawthorne they think mainly of the spring meet, which pales in comparison to their fall meet.

Hoofless_Wonder
11-09-2013, 07:39 PM
Moved last month from Illinois to Washington State. :jump:

Have boycotted Illinois racing for several years now, when they suspended wagering online just as Saratoga and Del Mar opened up. When they cut off ADW for the first five months of this year, it just made me look more seriously at moving out of state. If there was an emoticon with an extended middle finger, I'd post it here.

It's a crying shame for many, as Arlington is an awesome venue.

thaskalos
11-09-2013, 09:48 PM
I am saving a bottle of my favorite champagne for the day when horse racing shuts down in this miserable state.

Irish Boy
11-09-2013, 09:50 PM
I don't think it's good for the long-term health of the sport for it to disappear from the third-largest market in the country.

Valuist
11-10-2013, 02:42 PM
I enjoy the fall Hawthorne meet but the field sizes aren't as good as back in the 90s. The spring meet is a disaster; one 5 horse field after another.

BIG49010
11-11-2013, 10:22 AM
If Hawthorne shut down, I doubt anyone other than the horseman, would shed a tear. Arlington is a different story, but as greedy as these bastards at Churchill / Twinspries are, I doubt I would shed a tear if it closed either.

cnollfan
11-11-2013, 05:57 PM
I like Hawthorne's fall meet, though this year it is not as appealing as it has been previously.