PDA

View Full Version : American National, Matron, and Beyond

cmp92
11-08-2013, 05:23 PM
There's some big racing coming up over the next few weekends. Tomorrow, of course, the American National races will be held at Balmoral. Captaintreacherous, Bee A Magician, I Luv the Nitelife, Foiled Again, and Pet Rock headline the action tomorrow. HoY implications? I don't really see any change happening. If Magician loses and the Captain wins, maybe the first place vote will tighten back up? I expect both to win, so I don't see this scenario playing out. Anything can happen, though.

The Matron begins Sunday at Dover. Plenty of big names there, as well. The New Meadowlands will open up in a few weekends. Bee A Magician will make her next and final start of the season in the Moni Maker. I Luv the Nitelife is heading there for a race November 30. The Captain might make an appearance in the TVG FFA championship. How likely is this? I think if the connections WANT to win HoY, then they would enter. If they stick to their plan of carefully managing the horse, then I think they have to watch his start at Balmoral closely and see how he recovers from some blood issues that hampered him at Hoosier. With that in mind, I might be inclined to think that the chance of the Captain going after older horses this year has been diminished.

Also, the connections of I Luv the Nitelife challenged Captaintreacherous to a match race on November 23 at the Big M. I haven't seen an official response from the Captain's camp, so I believe this is still possible. The Young family, owners of Nitelife, have proposed the match race for charity. Do you think the Captain's owners accept? I don't, but I would love to see it happen. Nitelife, if she were to win, can make a strong case for HoY, and if she loses, then she really doesn't lose anything. If the Captain lost, he would probably lose HoY too, and there isn't much upside to winning; I think he'd probably be favored in a match race.

Thoughts?

Definitely looking forward to the next few weeks!

mrroyboy
11-08-2013, 06:22 PM
Yes Good racing coming up. Good for the fans and good for the sport!!!

LottaKash
11-08-2013, 09:06 PM
The "Captain" looked a little worse for seasonal wear in his last....and certainly with good reason tho...
Still, what a "head bangin" campaign he had this year....

One of the gamiest I have ever seen.... He was trying his heart out in every one of his races...There just wasn't any quit in any of em...

I still give him HOY, just on guts alone...:jump:

cmp92
11-08-2013, 09:55 PM
The "Captain" looked a little worse for seasonal wear in his last....and certainly with good reason tho...
Still, what a "head bangin" campaign he had this year....

One of the gamiest I have ever seen.... He was trying his heart out in every one of his races...There just wasn't any quit in any of em...

I still give him HOY, just on guts alone...:jump:
Agreed, I've made time to watch every one of his races this year. Even as they came down the stretch at Hoosier, I was still confident he'd win. Any other horse I'd say they're finished, but not him. I know Tetrick has remarked a few times that he's nervous driving him, but he knows that the Captain won't let him down.

While he's no slouch, Bee A Magician has been just as stellar. She's done some amazing things as well and she makes it look easy. It is a very tough decision to make between the two.

cmp92
11-09-2013, 09:24 PM
Tough Rose wins the American National 2yr old filly pace, pays over $250 to win. Southwind Silence was 1-5 and didn't hit the board. Rough night for favorites so far.

cmp92
11-09-2013, 09:54 PM
Track favoring the closers. None of these horses are really running fast fractions, but they're getting swallowed up in the stretch.

cmp92
11-09-2013, 10:22 PM
First favorite of the night, Market Share, prevails after a first over trip. Maven was stubborn down the stretch, but eventually gave way and finished second. I'm sure her connections have to be happy with this!

cmp92
11-09-2013, 10:35 PM
Charisma Hanover upsets I Luv the Nitelife. Nitelife found herself parked every step of the way and lost by a nose. Charisma Hanover was parked too, but she was able to follow Nitelife's cover. Track record of 1:49.0. Big effort from both horses :ThmbUp:

cmp92
11-09-2013, 10:56 PM
Bee A Magician scoots up the rail to keep her streak alive.

cmp92
11-09-2013, 11:23 PM
The Captain looks Lucan Hanover in the eye and refused to let him by. 1:49.0. Myron Bell says they're looking at the TVG/FFA at the Meadowlands at the end of the month.

nijinski
11-09-2013, 11:31 PM
Tetrick really needs to get some hefty punishment for the kicking . Poor Captain .

wiffleball whizz
11-09-2013, 11:44 PM
Tetrick really needs to get some hefty punishment for the kicking . Poor Captain .

Didn't know you are/were a harness fan :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

nijinski
11-09-2013, 11:48 PM
Didn't know you are/were a harness fan :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

Dad and the brothers took me there first to keep me well rounded . :lol:

1GCFAN
11-10-2013, 11:46 PM
Pet Rock parked the trip rolls up to nip Foiled Again in setting a new track record.