PDA

View Full Version : Messy Horizontals at Aqueduct today.

Stillriledup
11-07-2013, 04:32 PM
So try and explain something to me. There's this thigy called weather dot com and they predict the weather. I go onto this website last night and i see rain for Ozone Park ny.

How come there isnt the ability to take all the races off the turf the night before? Why not have their twitter feed tweet out "no turf racing in NY tomorrow".

Would that have killed them?

The way it stands now, you literally have to handicap by the seat of your pants at the last second. And, you have them starting the pick 5 and THEN, scratching some MTOs for the 5th leg after all bets are in....there's no reason to have all these changes and scratches when you had the weather forecast the night before.

Saratoga_Mike
11-07-2013, 05:05 PM
The way it stands now, you literally have to handicap by the seat of your pants at the last second. And, you have them starting the pick 5 and THEN, scratching some MTOs for the 5th leg after all bets are in....there's no reason to have all these changes and scratches when you had the weather forecast the night before.

Three yrs ago, you told us some could handicap the weather and should be rewarded for it...

"What if you 'handicapped' the weather forecast and keyed dirt horses in the last leg? Should that person get punished for correctly prognosticating the last surface change? Thunderstorms happen in Florida, its not like this was Del Mar in July."

Stillriledup
11-07-2013, 05:12 PM
Three yrs ago, you told us some could handicap the weather and should be rewarded for it...

"What if you 'handicapped' the weather forecast and keyed dirt horses in the last leg? Should that person get punished for correctly prognosticating the last surface change? Thunderstorms happen in Florida, its not like this was Del Mar in July."

Im all for handicapping the weather, but they dont even let you do that. They pay off to "all". The people who handicapped the weather and singled Scotus and took a shot that the race would come off the turf didnt get rewarded.

davew
11-07-2013, 06:40 PM
weather reports are not always correct

and even if it was raining - 0.02 inch in the last 24 hours may not have removed from turf

what would they say to trainers/owners if it was just overcast and the night before they changed turf to dirt ? we got to keep our gamblers happy ?

Stillriledup
11-07-2013, 06:45 PM
weather reports are not always correct

and even if it was raining - 0.02 inch in the last 24 hours may not have removed from turf

what would they say to trainers/owners if it was just overcast and the night before they changed turf to dirt ? we got to keep our gamblers happy ?

The races are run for the bettors, without the bettors, there's no game. If the weather is wrong one time out of 100, than oops. But, the other 99 times you have bettors betting into the pick anythings and their money is going onto random horses that they don't want. Betting pools suffer if you have uncertainty. If they announced no turf racing, or if they announced 1 turf race and all the others are off before the first race of the day ran, their betting handle would be higher.

Lower betting handles hurt the horsemen and hurt the bettors, it hurts everyone.

Mineshaft
11-07-2013, 07:13 PM
The races are run for the bettors, without the bettors, there's no game. If the weather is wrong one time out of 100, than oops. But, the other 99 times you have bettors betting into the pick anythings and their money is going onto random horses that they don't want. Betting pools suffer if you have uncertainty. If they announced no turf racing, or if they announced 1 turf race and all the others are off before the first race of the day ran, their betting handle would be higher.

Lower betting handles hurt the horsemen and hurt the bettors, it hurts everyone.

Did you bitch about everything?

davew
11-07-2013, 09:30 PM

That is odd, it seems to me the races are run for 1) track ownership 2) horse owners 3) trainers and bettors are just rubes needed to keep the thing going. But maybe that is why racing is declining in North America # How many bettors are involved with coming up with new bets? I remember in the last couple years the 'head to head' started in California - great way to rape the bettors (so much easier - just decide between 2)

Stillriledup
11-07-2013, 09:36 PM
That is odd, it seems to me the races are run for 1) track ownership 2) horse owners 3) trainers and bettors are just rubes needed to keep the thing going. But maybe that is why racing is declining in North America # How many bettors are involved with coming up with new bets? I remember in the last couple years the 'head to head' started in California - great way to rape the bettors (so much easier - just decide between 2)

I agree, the horsemen are always put first, their wishes and whims are all track mgmt cares about. Maybe they just assume that bettors don't really work hard and don't really have financial risk, so it doesnt really matter to them if they wait till the very last second to switch surfaces even though they have weather reports and they see the rain starting before the first race even runs.