PDA

View Full Version : NY Pick 6 rule

aaron
11-07-2013, 04:29 PM
Am my the only one or do other players think the Pick 6 rule that occurred today is simply not right. You take races off the turf and make them an all,that is fine.Then you pay out only 25 % of the pool. Doesn't make sense to me.

Stillriledup
11-07-2013, 04:35 PM
Scotus was a "barred" horse in the finale, he couldnt lose and yet, people who bet on horses who lost by 29 lengths got the same amount in their pick 6. Nice day for people who picked winners and put in huge tickets and got back 142 bucks.

Just another slap in the face to the players, but is anyone really surprised at the incompetence?

andtheyreoff
11-07-2013, 04:48 PM
Scotus was a "barred" horse in the finale, he couldnt lose and yet, people who bet on horses who lost by 29 lengths got the same amount in their pick 6. Nice day for people who picked winners and put in huge tickets and got back 142 bucks.

Just another slap in the face to the players, but is anyone really surprised at the incompetence?

What would have been preferrable, sticking people with horses who they picked assuming this would be a turf race?

Having an "ALL" for these races isn't ideal, but it would be a lot more unfair if you went with the alternatives.

aaron
11-07-2013, 04:56 PM
What would have been preferrable, sticking people with horses who they picked assuming this would be a turf race?

Having an "ALL" for these races isn't ideal, but it would be a lot more unfair if you went with the alternatives.
I think the preferable way to handle this is to pay out the whole Pick 6 to the bettors while making the turf races an all. At least that way,the bettors who picked all the winners would have got paid.Why carryover the pick 6 when it was it ?

Stillriledup
11-07-2013, 05:11 PM

The alternative is to figure out how to use the internet and look up the weather forecast the night before and make the appropriate changes well in advance.

andtheyreoff
11-07-2013, 05:34 PM
The alternative is to figure out how to use the internet and look up the weather forecast the night before and make the appropriate changes well in advance.

Do you know how many times the weather forecast the night before said it would rain, only for it not to rain a drop the next day? Many times, I'd figure.

If they called off grass racing the night before, and it wound up not raining, there would've been way more controversy than there is now. And, of course, the fifth race wouldn't have been run on the grass.

Stillriledup
11-07-2013, 05:46 PM
Do you know how many times the weather forecast the night before said it would rain, only for it not to rain a drop the next day? Many times, I'd figure.

If they called off grass racing the night before, and it wound up not raining, there would've been way more controversy than there is now. And, of course, the fifth race wouldn't have been run on the grass.

More controversy? The bettors wouldnt care, it would just be dirt races with MTO horses getting into the body with a fast track if somehow the weather forecast doesnt work out as planned.

So, your suggestion is to never trust the weather report, even though its accurate most of the time just on the off chance it doesnt rain?

Show me an example of a weather forecast that said rain, during the month of november, in ozone park, NY, where there was .000 precipitation.

Do you have an example, you know, since it happens 'many times'?

andtheyreoff
11-07-2013, 06:03 PM
More controversy? The bettors wouldnt care, it would just be dirt races with MTO horses getting into the body with a fast track if somehow the weather forecast doesnt work out as planned.

Are you kidding me? You really think that if a race was taken off the turf with no rain, and it got scratched down from 12 to 5 or 6, the bettors would say, "oh, that's OK, we totally understand!"? Get real.

So, your suggestion is to never trust the weather report, even though its accurate most of the time just on the off chance it doesnt rain?

Show me an example of a weather forecast that said rain, during the month of november, in ozone park, NY, where there was .000 precipitation.

Do you have an example, you know, since it happens 'many times'?

Belmont, October 11. I remember it because it was forecasted to rain buckets that day, and I thought the pick 6 was very hittable if it was on dirt. So I was all prepared to punch a $72 play in, only for it never to rain. The track was fast and firm that day.

I'm sure there are tons of other examples throughout history of the weather forecast being wrong.

Stillriledup
11-07-2013, 06:08 PM
Are you kidding me? You really think that if a race was taken off the turf with no rain, and it got scratched down from 12 to 5 or 6, the bettors would say, "oh, that's OK, we totally understand!"? Get real.

Belmont, October 11. I remember it because it was forecasted to rain buckets that day, and I thought the pick 6 was very hittable if it was on dirt. So I was all prepared to punch a $72 play in, only for it never to rain. The track was fast and firm that day.

I'm sure there are tons of other examples throughout history of the weather forecast being wrong.

Im asking for a specific November forecast that was wrong. Sometimes summer "showers" won't hit the exact spot, but there are different types of forecasts, when there's 100 Pct humidity in November and they say rain, i tend to think that might be more accurate than a south florida-type of forecast that says "showers".

Also, it started raining before Race 1, the track was labeled good and the turf was good...so the idea that the forecast might not be accurate is poppycock. They saw the physical rain before Race 1 and yet waited till all the pick 5s were in before they did anything about it.

andtheyreoff
11-07-2013, 06:15 PM
Im asking for a specific November forecast that was wrong. Sometimes summer "showers" won't hit the exact spot, but there are different types of forecasts, when there's 100 Pct humidity in November and they say rain, i tend to think that might be more accurate than a south florida-type of forecast that says "showers".

What's the difference if it's October or November? Do you expect me to memorize the weather forecasts from previous years?

You know, this is gonna be my last post to you, because you post so many ludicrous things that you're either trolling or a dimwit. The point is, weather forecasts aren't perfect. You're better off waiting until the day of the race to make a decision, lest the forecast not pan out and you're left with an unappetizing program. And, for what it's worth, race 5 stayed on the grass, so the pick 5 was unaffected.

That being said, I do like aaron's idea of having no five of six payout in a situation like this. It's like having a consolation three of four payout in a pick 4.

Stillriledup
11-07-2013, 06:27 PM
What's the difference if it's October or November? Do you expect me to memorize the weather forecasts from previous years?

You know, this is gonna be my last post to you, because you post so many ludicrous things that you're either trolling or a dimwit. The point is, weather forecasts aren't perfect. You're better off waiting until the day of the race to make a decision, lest the forecast not pan out and you're left with an unappetizing program. And, for what it's worth, race 5 stayed on the grass, so the pick 5 was unaffected.

That being said, I do like aaron's idea of having no five of six payout in a situation like this. It's like having a consolation three of four payout in a pick 4.

The pick 5 was massively affected when the 1 horse, who was a major contender, was scratched. So anyone who used that horse got stuck on the favorite.

Im not expecting anything from you, but if you make a statement that there are a lot of "wrong" forecasts, i'm just asking for a specific example, don't shoot me because i want proof of a point that you made.

As far as the name calling and personal shots go, you're better than that. I'll let it slide this time, but you were the one who took the personal shot, not me. I don't very much want to debate stuff with posters who throw the T word around, especially to a hall of fame nominee.

cj
11-07-2013, 06:32 PM

Stop being ridiculous. Can we please now get back on topic?

Is it fair that NYRA only pays out 1/4 of the pool? I know I don't think so. Pretty sure this came up already earlier in the year.

the little guy
11-07-2013, 06:34 PM

Is it fair that NYRA only pays out 1/4 of the pool? I know I don't think so. Pretty sure this came up already earlier in the year.

I would love to discuss this, but I refuse to post in threads where SRU posts. Not worth it. He kills even the possibility of constructive conversation here.

Stillriledup
11-07-2013, 06:42 PM

I think they ought to be able to make weather related scratches before the first leg of the pick 5, especially when the raindrops are falling and the forecast is known to be a wet one.

johnhannibalsmith
11-07-2013, 07:06 PM
... especially to a hall of fame nominee.

:lol: :lol:

You sure know how to put the exclamation point on a whole barrage of silliness.

aaron
11-07-2013, 07:07 PM

That's really the unfair thing. The pick 6 should be paid out. People who bet the pick 6 are not expecting to be paid 1/4 of the pool. The Pick Six should be paid out just like a normal day.The people who it six[including the all races]should be paid. The people who it 5 should be paid. It is a greedy move carrying over money from bettors who hit the bet.

sammy the sage
11-07-2013, 07:10 PM

Actually couple years back...everybody agreed it's total BS...so if weather might be a factor...you don't play...pretty simple way to avoid theft of one's wagering dollars...

and that's WHAT it is...straight up THEFT!

Stillriledup
11-07-2013, 07:18 PM
Actually couple years back...everybody agreed it's total BS...so if weather might be a factor...you don't play...pretty simple way to avoid theft of one's wagering dollars...

and that's WHAT it is...straight up THEFT!

I think the key is that the track wants you to play, they don't want you to skip. But, the way they work it, they give us no other choice but to just skip days that have shaky weather in the forecast. There is a better way to do things.

Stillriledup
11-07-2013, 07:19 PM
:lol: :lol:

You sure know how to put the exclamation point on a whole barrage of silliness.

:D

That was for you (and Andy of course), hope you liked it.

Robert Goren
11-07-2013, 09:12 PM
If you think weather reports are accurate, why did you bet it like it was coming off the turf or just not bet it at all?

shouldacoulda
11-07-2013, 09:28 PM

Maybe a data base guy could recall it. :lol:

Seriously it was muddy from Delta downs to Hawthorne yesterday. When I left for work this morning in NY it was already quite wet and rained most of the day. Unless you check the weather and handicap for wet and dry you're flying blind. Giving a pass for all on a race moved off the turf and paying out 25% of pool doesn't sound right. I don't know what it should be but I would feel slighted if it was me.

aaron
11-08-2013, 08:53 AM
The simple solution to all this is to make a decision before the Pick 6 starts. Either decide to run the races on the turf or take them off. Yesterday's races probably could have been run on the turf. I understand there will be instances where severe and unexpected circumstances will force a change after the start of the Pick 6. Yesterday was not one of those days. The weather report was consistent and either the races should have been taken off before the Pick 6 or have been run on the turf. With that said,the law currently in place is a joke,as is the rule for a horse to run for purse only. A couple of weeks ago this rule caused havoc.If the powers that be had common sense these problems would not occur.Another rule is no super perfecta in races with entries. I guess the wagering board doesn't think bettors can figure on the actual finish for super perfecta's.