PDA

View Full Version : Richard Migliore, Hall of Famer?

Stillriledup
11-04-2013, 03:55 PM
Does he deserve to be in? I'm watching a tv show on MSG about the Mig, hosted by Fran Healy and that's the question they're asking.

While we are on the HOF, are there any jocks, trainers or anyone else who should be in, who arent?

LottaKash
11-04-2013, 04:02 PM
The Mig is in, imo.....I can't say how many times that I have seen his name in lights before....He should get in just on that score alone, imo....The guy had real-time relationships with his mounts, and he had a way of getting so much out of them, right to the wire.... :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

TheEdge07
11-04-2013, 04:14 PM
The Mig is in, imo.....I can't say how many times that I have seen his name in lights before....He should get in just on that score alone, imo....The guy had real-time relationships with his mounts, and he had a way of getting so much out of them, right to the wire.... :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

If your asking.....then hes not..

Stillriledup
11-04-2013, 04:15 PM
He's got about 4,400 wins and almost all those wins were on the toughest circuits in America......if he rode his entire career at a B or C track, he would have twice as many wins or at least 6k i would imagine.

Not too many tougher guys with more heart than this fellow, all the injuries he's had, he said he missed 39 months of his career due to injury.

TheEdge07
11-04-2013, 04:24 PM
He's got about 4,400 wins and almost all those wins were on the toughest circuits in America......if he rode his entire career at a B or C track, he would have twice as many wins or at least 6k i would imagine.

Not too many tougher guys with more heart than this fellow, all the injuries he's had, he said he missed 39 months of his career due to injury.

Agree tough as nails had some bad spilss remarkable comebacks

Stillriledup
11-04-2013, 04:52 PM
Mig is currently 43rd all time in races won. There are at least 40 riders who have LESS wins than he does who are in the HOF for what its worth.

He is about 22nd all time in money won...which again, means there are 40 to 60 HOFers who have won less money who are IN the HOF.

For what its worth.

TheEdge07
11-04-2013, 04:58 PM
Mig is currently 43rd all time in races won. There are at least 40 riders who have LESS wins than he does who are in the HOF for what its worth.

He is about 22nd all time in money won...which again, means there are 40 to 60 HOFers who have won less money who are IN the HOF.

For what its worth.

Baze leads in wins..all time top ten?

cj
11-04-2013, 04:58 PM

For what its worth.

Racing is different these days. It is year round, and there are many more places to ride. It is also easier to travel. Total wins isn't a good measure, and money won is even worse. Did he win a Triple Crown race? I think he won one Breeder's Cup race despite being around for 25 of them.

I like the guy, think he was a very good rider. I just don't see Hall of Fame. Then again Calvin Borel is in, so why not?

Stillriledup
11-04-2013, 05:29 PM
Racing is different these days. It is year round, and there are many more places to ride. It is also easier to travel. Total wins isn't a good measure, and money won is even worse. Did he win a Triple Crown race? I think he won one Breeder's Cup race despite being around for 25 of them.

I like the guy, think he was a very good rider. I just don't see Hall of Fame. Then again Calvin Borel is in, so why not?

I think the HOF is defined by its weakest member and isnt defined by some "holy grail standard'. If there is one rider who is weaker statistically, or weaker in some other way who's in the HOF, i think you have to put everyone in who is better than the worst rider who is in.

Whether travel is easier, or money won is meaningless, you have to use some sort of benchmark. People say in baseball, if you get 3,000 hits or 300 wins as a pitcher, its an "automatic" inclusion...but what's really a hit or a win? You can say the same thing about baseball, there needs to be some measuring stick, if you dont measure wins or money, what do you measure?

NJ Stinks
11-04-2013, 06:42 PM
If Mario Pino, Rick Wilson, Robbie Davis, and Craig Perret can't get in, neither can Richard IMO. I may as well add Chris Antley since he's not in either.

reckless
11-04-2013, 07:53 PM
While we are on the HOF, are there any jocks, trainers or anyone else who should be in, who arent?

There is one trainer who most definitely belongs in the Hall of Fame and that trainer is--the late great Johnny Campo.

There are a few trainers in there that I feel do not belong, but Campo's omission into the Hall is a travesty, and is politically motivated.

Stillriledup
11-04-2013, 08:01 PM
If Mario Pino, Rick Wilson, Robbie Davis, and Craig Perret can't get in, neither can Richard IMO. I may as well add Chris Antley since he's not in either.

I think the 64 dollar question is probably this: What is the criteria or formula to make it?? I agree with Antley, and while we're at it, P Val is a HOFer also, he's one of the all time greatest jocks, we all know how good P Val is at full power.

Stillriledup
01-31-2015, 04:27 AM
Migliore is an incredible analyst. He's saying some amazing things on the Aqu insider show, just really detailed things about riding and he explains them so well, he talked about something on the downhill course at santa Anita that i had never thought of before and he talked about something i thought was true but never knew for sure, but now i know what i thought was correct. Learning a lot listening to him.

jk3521
01-31-2015, 07:42 AM
Migliore is an incredible analyst. He's saying some amazing things on the Aqu insider show, just really detailed things about riding and he explains them so well, he talked about something on the downhill course at santa Anita that i had never thought of before and he talked about something i thought was true but never knew for sure, but now i know what i thought was correct. Learning a lot listening to him.
Would you be touting him for HOF if he had retired to became an accountant and long forgotten or is it maybe because he still is in the public eye as a race analyst?

MJC922
01-31-2015, 07:43 AM
It's a tough call, is the hall about great riders or the greatest ever?
Maple is in the hall. Maple was not a greatest ever rider IMO, I'd take Cruguet over Maple any day. Mig was great for my money. Mig rode against the very best in NY and made the most of his opportunities, he was a sender in NY where IMO that colony typically just doesn't 'get' that part of it. I never saw Santos send anything to steal a race in his whole career and he's in there. What's remarkable about Mig is he broke his neck and came back to ride at a high level, given his total wins and that kind of injury to me HOF is well deserved. Now the subjective and critical part if people don't mind my saying so, the hands could've been better, I never considered Mig to be a soft touch on the bit the way guys like Pat Day or Chris Antley were. Chris should be in the HOF, he's the only guy I ever saw outsmart Angel in a race (... just once but that's enough) :) To me Angel was the greatest I've seen and I'd put JB in for second best, underneath those two I see a lot of great riders like Antley, and I have no problem with Mig being in that group of let's say the top dozen greatest over the past 40 years. Seems to me more of these riders should be inducted, they've had remarkable careers and it deserves formal recognition.

castaway01
01-31-2015, 11:00 AM
Migliore is an incredible analyst. He's saying some amazing things on the Aqu insider show, just really detailed things about riding and he explains them so well, he talked about something on the downhill course at santa Anita that i had never thought of before and he talked about something i thought was true but never knew for sure, but now i know what i thought was correct. Learning a lot listening to him.\

17,800 posts and I finally agree with you.

RacingFan1992
01-31-2015, 11:01 AM
What I find odd is every horse who won the Triple Crown is in the HOF but there are still 3 jocks (Will Saunders, Warren Merthens, and Jean Crugeut) as well as 3 trainers (Don Cameron, Bill Turner, and George Conway) who have yet to be inducted. We consider the Triple Crown as being the toughest thing to win in sports and yet we induct people who have failed to win the Triple Crown instead of those who have. Sure these people are might not be like Eddie Arcaro or Ben Jones but they did win what everybody else is striving for today which I think that should count for something.

cj
01-31-2015, 11:56 AM
What I find odd is every horse who won the Triple Crown is in the HOF but there are still 3 jocks (Will Saunders, Warren Merthens, and Jean Crugeut) as well as 3 trainers (Don Cameron, Bill Turner, and George Conway) who have yet to be inducted. We consider the Triple Crown as being the toughest thing to win in sports and yet we induct people who have failed to win the Triple Crown instead of those who have. Sure these people are might not be like Eddie Arcaro or Ben Jones but they did win what everybody else is striving for today which I think that should count for something.

It is the toughest thing for one horse to do, not necessarily for a trainer to get lucky and have that horse. I don't know enough about the others, but Billy Turner is not a guy I think is remotely close to a Hall of Fame trainer, and neither is Jean Cruguet as a rider.

Stillriledup
01-31-2015, 01:49 PM
\

17,800 posts and I finally agree with you.

You know this is going on my wall in a frame, right? :D