PDA

View Full Version : Looks like I might be back betting harness racing

RaceTrackDaddy
11-03-2013, 07:24 PM
I know I should have never stated that I would never be back to betting harness racing; but with the rebates offered in harness racing, I am tempted greatly to get back into it.

With greyhounds, the rebates on the tracks I like most are average around 8 percent while I just learned that betting Trifecta wagers at the Meadows grants me 17 percent rebates. Instead of waiting a month to get them, they are posted every Monday morning from the wagers on the previous week.

Even with the 35 percent retention at the Meadows on their trifecta wagers, a 17 percent return on wagers is an angle I cannot resist.

I guess I will be buying my trackmaster programs monthly again looking for some value.

Just a Fan
11-03-2013, 07:45 PM
Not sure if you would be betting into the track pools or offshore, but I wouldn't want to support any track that takes 35%. That's just greedy, particularly for a track that doesn't really rely on the commission from handle to support their purse structure or racetrack operation.

Its up to you if the math of the takeout minus the rebate makes it worthwhile. In my state I don't have the ability to shop around for the best rebates, but I thought generally you could do quite a bit better than the scenario you described. I get a whopping .2% rebate. Think how much time it takes to bet 500 races. For every 500 races, I get my money back on one. Awesome.

Just out of curiosity, what does a successful greyhound handicapper do to get an edge? Do you calculate a daily track variant, or is there really such a thing as a "fast" or "slow" night? Or is there too much chaos to really calculate an accurate nightly track variant? Do you do trip notes? The sheer volume of races at some of the dog tracks would make it tough to keep up with all that.

Good luck.

wiffleball whizz
11-03-2013, 09:07 PM
I know I should have never stated that I would never be back to betting harness racing; but with the rebates offered in harness racing, I am tempted greatly to get back into it.

With greyhounds, the rebates on the tracks I like most are average around 8 percent while I just learned that betting Trifecta wagers at the Meadows grants me 17 percent rebates. Instead of waiting a month to get them, they are posted every Monday morning from the wagers on the previous week.

Even with the 35 percent retention at the Meadows on their trifecta wagers, a 17 percent return on wagers is an angle I cannot resist.

I guess I will be buying my trackmaster programs monthly again looking for some value.

MBFN!!!!!!!!!!!

LottaKash
11-03-2013, 09:18 PM

RTD, I knew it, and you knew I knew it....

Glad to see you come back to your senses....Welcome back home, bud...

Harness is your "mistress" and your "true love", and she always will be...

I am glad of it, we need all the soldiers that we can still muster, before it all goes away....

wiffleball whizz
11-03-2013, 09:27 PM

I am glad of it, we need all the soldiers that we can still muster, before it all goes away....

Harness racing urinates on tbreds

LottaKash
11-03-2013, 10:04 PM
Harness racing urinates on tbreds

Without a doubt Whizz !!!....

I have played both, a lot....

I would never go back....bunch of "No Stamina Fragile Sissies" nowadays, imo...

RaceTrackDaddy
11-03-2013, 10:12 PM
Not sure if you would be betting into the track pools or offshore, but I wouldn't want to support any track that takes 35%. That's just greedy, particularly for a track that doesn't really rely on the commission from handle to support their purse structure or racetrack operation..

I have been boycotting the Meadows trifecta pool since 2010 when they moved it from 29% to 35%. My mom only bets the Meadows so in a way my boycott is not working too well. This way I can at least save a little of the money my mom is betting. I noticed that I can get 22.5% from Pocono Downs trifecta wagers so that might be a better option until they shut down for the winter.

This is the best rates that I have seen to date. I was invited to a betting site that one needs to be referred to be accepted to join. They are said to offer more in rebates but a better wagering platform. I could not go into the site without joining it so I told my referrer that I do not buy a car without kicking the tire so I will have to miss out on this site.

[QUOTE=Just out of curiosity, what does a successful greyhound handicapper do to get an edge? Do you calculate a daily track variant, or is there really such a thing as a "fast" or "slow" night? Or is there too much chaos to really calculate an accurate nightly track variant? Do you do trip notes? The sheer volume of races at some of the dog tracks would make it tough to keep up with all that.

Good luck.
My process in handicapping the puppies involves a little speed handicapping, a lot of breeding by sire and dams, previous litters per se. But the most important thing to look for in each race is in what direction the dog will break. Trip handicapping will permit you to wager on the dog with the best trip and avoid betting the fastest dog that is surely going to get into road trouble. What I do for a few friends is to write a daily column that I email out. If you like, I can copy and paste what transpired today and tomorrow's sheet (whole card at Palm Beach). Can't recall if my email addy is here or not, so if you want, email me at bobbyzpicks@verizon.net and I will send it right out. It is more of my thoughts of the race going in (black font) and my comments after the race (blue font) plus if they hit the board I copy the prices..on every results page I send out, I attach a current ROI update and breakdown.

wiffleball whizz
11-03-2013, 10:18 PM
To clarify MBFN means Must Be ****ing Nice

As in getting monster rebates......what am I doing wrong

RaceTrackDaddy
11-03-2013, 10:33 PM

Thank you Kash. I started out with harness then went to harness and greyhounds when Wheeling switch over to the dogs in 1976. Added flat racing to my list in 1992 with simulcasting. Became a big fan of Dehere and Holy Bull when they broke their maidens at Saratoga (Spa) NY. Then when I had enough of animals being controlled by men (either in the bike or in the saddle) I went to the puppies. They each have their good and bad points. I just wish they all could better themselves by looking at their competition.

For instance. Flats versus Harness
The triple crown is run in three races in five weeks. Harness races them from Labor Day to AFTER the Breeders Crown.
I would change the dates of the Triple Crown (at the least if not the track that hosts the event). Try to match that five weeks that the whole sport is concentrating on the top three years as they go at it in earnest. Some like myself would like to start it at the N A Cup and the second leg at Meadowlands Pace but move it to the beginning of the month and then end it at the LBJ moving that date from third week in September to mid July. With the slot money coming in, Delaware Co Fair can rent mutual equipment if not buy it so they can extend their meet to a full week and if they want, shut down ScD for a week. By then we will have a triple crown campion or not and all the other venues can kick in like the Art Rooney, Adios, etc until the Breeders. Having the Messenger after the Breeders sucked.

Flats/Harness Breeders versus Greyhounds Breeders
Greyhound racing needs a national Breeders stake races as now they just have individual state Breeders Championships. Iowa is the largest with two. One is at Duquoin for 200k final and Bluffs Run is the largest with 500k final. The average lifetime for a dog running is not that long at all as most start racing at the age of 18 months and once they reach 4 years old most of them have been retired with over 100 races under their belt. They do not have breeding seasons like horses as a puppy can have two litters in the same year so with that being said, the greyhounds always a lot of new puppies starting out their careers every month or so. If they could in a way have two crops they might be able to have a senior and junior divisions of the two year olds and the same for all older puppies nation wide. But like all other states, they do not like to give up their power and I see this as not a possiblity.

Forgot to mention that the best track, the Meadowlands of greyhound racing gets near to nothing bet on its win/place/show pools as most of the cash is in the exotics. The pay the highest prices per point (with 11 kennels there have been past the million dollar mark )at Southland Park in Arkansas. Each race has a predetermined point of value based on class and distance. The dog accumlates points. The purse for the week is a set amount and they take the total points divide into the purse to get the price per point. It is $300+ per point. It took me a long time to understand their reasoning but there are a lot of things I still don't understand. Thanks again Kash.

RaceTrackDaddy
11-03-2013, 10:37 PM

LOL I actually googled it...yes it is..I used to get like 0.5 percent with Twin Spires,,,The Meadows on track rewards is 1 percent...so when I moved to Bet America and got 3 percent on their bonus tracks I was happy. Now, I am moving into a new ADW and hope I can get my problems fixed. I screwed up my first deposit by forgetting my three digit code on the back of the card. That alerted my bank and it is currently blocking all transactions until early next week. I guess it is better to be overly protected than not.

baconswitchfarm
11-03-2013, 10:48 PM

Bet more. Where are you betting now ?