PDA

View Full Version : Dish or Direct?

cato
03-22-2004, 01:45 AM
I want to look into getting access to races via television instead of watching these little tiny figures move across my computer screen in fits and starts

Is TVG the only source other than Magna?

It appears that TVG is available on Direct TV or Dish TV--any advantages or disadvantages to either one of them?

Thanks in advance for your insight.

Cato

BillW
03-22-2004, 01:58 AM
Originally posted by cato
I want to look into getting access to races via television instead of watching these little tiny figures move across my computer screen in fits and starts

Is TVG the only source other than Magna?

It appears that TVG is available on Direct TV or Dish TV--any advantages or disadvantages to either one of them?

Thanks in advance for your insight.

Cato

Cato,

I've had Dish network for a few years without problem. TVG is only source of racing on that network. (Fox sometimes simulcasts TVG sigs. but of course that is redundant).

Bill

Bill

ceejay
03-22-2004, 09:18 AM
Cato,

I have DISH for TVG. It is a little cheaper than Direct, and in their $25 plan (which gets a little cheaper if you buy the whole year in advance). The biggest negative is that sometimes in moderate rains I lose signal. It is not as bad as the Cox commericals imply, but it can be annoying.

Note, I did keep Cox as well. I've been asking them for TVG for years.

levinmpa
03-22-2004, 09:35 AM
I've never had Dish Network, but I've been a Directv subscriber for 6 years and I can tell that it blows cable away in both price and quality. The picture is crystal clear unlike cable with it's shadows and grainy picture. I mainly went to Directv for the sports programming. Mainly the NFL Sunday Ticket and the Major League Baseball package. These are available exclusively on Directv. TVG has been a nice addition. My only complaint with TVG is that they don't cover all of the tracks I like to play. Of course this is due to restrictions from Magna and others. If you have no other options, I would definitely go with Directv for you TVG access. You won't be disappointed.

ML

JustRalph
03-22-2004, 10:28 AM
If you don't mind spending some bucks....this is a good offer...from Dish Network

here is a link to it from Techtv's site

http://www.techtv.com/freshgear/products/story/0,23008,3625741,00.html

cato
03-22-2004, 12:00 PM
Ceejay wrote:

"Note, I did keep Cox as well. I've been asking them for TVG for years."

So, Ceejay, do you think if I call Cox, that will put them over the edge?

Thanks, everyone.

Cato

cj
03-22-2004, 02:15 PM
cato,

When I was in Moore, I had Dish Network and never had a problem, even in bad weather. Originally, Direct TV had TVG in a tier you had to pay extra for, but I don't know if that is still the case. I know DN has TVG in all the packages, even the most basic.

ceejay,

Why do you keep Cox? Just curious, I'm assuming you get the local channels through the Dish if you want them. I had Cox internet and phone, but no cable.

ceejay
03-22-2004, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by cjmilkowski
cato,

Why do you keep Cox? Just curious, I'm assuming you get the local channels through the Dish if you want them. I had Cox internet and phone, but no cable.

Three reasons:
1. I want to keep the locals in HD (without a seperate tuner, antenna and AB switch). The downside of this is that the analog channels are horrible on my HD set.
2. The dish drops out too often in bad weather.
3. I like to be able to plug in TV's for analog without a converter box.

ceejay
03-22-2004, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by cato

So, Ceejay, do you think if I call Cox, that will put them over the edge?

Maybe you have a little more pull than I do!

The Hawk
03-22-2004, 04:04 PM
One benefit of Directv is you get the Fox channels if you subscribe to the Sports Package, and the Fox Pittsburgh channel occasionally (might even say rarely, like a few times a month) will show the HRTV races on a given afternoon. That may be the case with Dish also, though I don't know, since I never had it.

TRM
03-22-2004, 06:32 PM
Hey Cato,

We just recently moved and hooked-up with Dish Network. It does have TVG on the regular channels, I believe it's the top 100 package. You will need to pay extra to get your local channels. (per TV) You can get the DVR feature, which is exactly like Tivo. Therefore you can replay all the races you want, or record whatever shows that interest you. It will run you about $60.00 a month or so....depending if you want HBO, Max, Showtime and how many receivers/rooms that you want furnished.

We have had Dish at our previous residence (5yrs) and had no problems with it, even in stormy weather.

Hope that helps a little!!

sq764
03-22-2004, 09:48 PM
TRM, do you miss TRM like I do???

TRM
03-23-2004, 08:18 AM
Absolutely Sq764. That was a great little track. I'm partial to playing small tracks especially TRM since it was in my backyard. I was hoping that a management company was going to buy it and turn it into a class 2 or even a training ground, but Lone Star put an end to that real quick. Oh Well.....there's still EVD and DeD..
:D

JimG
03-23-2004, 10:02 AM
I've owned DirecTv since November and have been thrilled with it. I enjoy sports so the Fox channels have been nice as well. Absolutely no problems with "rain fade" or bad weather interrupting the signal thus far. A big tree in the neighbors yard messes me up on local channels via satellite:mad:

Otherwise, I'm thrilled with it for TVG and replays from GP.:)

Jim

fouroneone
03-23-2004, 02:01 PM
Does anyone here live in NYC and get TVG?

How does it compare to Channels 71 and 73? Is it worth the extra $$ when the city already shows 10-15 tracks a day anyway?

Does TVG show Australia, S. Africa, or Europe?

Thanks for the help!

(PS - I would check the website, but it is blocked by my company)

BillW
03-23-2004, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by fouroneone
Does anyone here live in NYC and get TVG?

How does it compare to Channels 71 and 73? Is it worth the extra $$ when the city already shows 10-15 tracks a day anyway?

Does TVG show Australia, S. Africa, or Europe?

Thanks for the help!

(PS - I would check the website, but it is blocked by my company)

If you get Fox Sports NY, TVG simulcasts a few days a week there. You can get a sample for yourself.

Bill

fouroneone
03-23-2004, 02:50 PM
so then that must be TVG that does the Aqueduct/Meadowlands replay every night at 12am on Fox Sports NY.

ICIC!

BillW
03-23-2004, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by fouroneone
so then that must be TVG that does the Aqueduct/Meadowlands replay every night at 12am on Fox Sports NY.

ICIC!

Replays are typically independent productions, but the live stuff when AQU is running is TVG.

socantra
03-23-2004, 08:24 PM
According to their current promo, TVG is still a premium on Direct TV, though it looks like you do get it with the sports package.

It is a basic channel on Dish Network.

socantra.......

ranchwest
03-27-2004, 10:21 AM
I've had Dish Network for about three years and during that time I've seen about 3 outages for only a few minutes during severe storms.

I've got an antenna in my attic for local stations.

Dish has a package similar to Direct for the Fox regions plus MSG and Empire and maybe a few others.

I'm strongly considering getting that HDTV package from Dish.