PDA

View Full Version : What didn't you like........Breeders Cup 2013?

JustRalph
11-02-2013, 10:45 PM
The opposite of the "What did you like?" thread........

1. Not a big fan of Billy Bush or Donna B. Brothers. Battaglia ? Why ?

2. Euros aren't exactly friendly in interviews. I know, it's a cultural thing.

3. The connections for the horse that got put up in the DQ, screaming "Holy Shit!" a hundred times on TV. Dancing around like crazy fools...... I am sure the Euros would not have acted that way. I believe they still see the game in a much more formal way than we do here. I know.....it's a cultural thing. I complain about Euros on one hand for not opening up a little, and bitch about goofy American connections with the other.........is there a mid way point? I hope so.

TheEdge07
11-02-2013, 10:47 PM

3. The connections for the horse that got put up in the DQ, screaming "Holy Shit!" a hundred times on TV. Dancing around like crazy fools...... I am sure the Euros would not have acted that way. I believe they still see the game in a much more formal way than we do here. I know.....it's a cultural thing. I complain about Euros on one hand for not opening up a little, and bitch about goofy American connections with the other.........is there a mid way point? I hope so.

Fridays highway

Mineshaft
11-02-2013, 10:55 PM
NBC showed way too many aerial shots while the race was running.

Mizdirections race they showed the first half of the race from the sky freakin ridiculous

Grits
Having a winning day yesterday, and then giving it back today.
I don't like it when this happens.

And I agree with you, J.R. about all the holy s*** in the winners' circle. That was real, real bad form. :lol:

nearco
Kind of depends on the Euros............
Frankie Dettori, doesn't get anymore charismatic than that.
John Gosden is one of the most articulate and camera friendly trainers you will ever see interviewed.
Willie Carson, owner of the BC Juvy Fillies turf, was pretty goofy in the winner's circle yesterday, probably too goofy.

Augenj
11-02-2013, 10:56 PM

I've seen American connections that were a class act during Triple Crown interviews, neither cold nor brash. However, they were of a different age group and from a time when politeness and common respect ruled. ;)

Quagmire
11-02-2013, 10:58 PM

Mizdirections race they showed the first half of the race from the sky freakin ridiculous

Agree 100%. The aerial shots are nice to show during the replay of a race but are totally unnecessary during the live running.

Quagmire
11-02-2013, 11:01 PM

Battaglia ? Why ?

I have been wondering why for every network broadcast of the last 20 years. He adds nothing to the broadcast.

nijinski
11-02-2013, 11:02 PM
[QUOTE=JustRalph]The opposite of the "What did you like?" thread........

3. The connections for the horse that got put up in the DQ, screaming "Holy Shit!" a hundred times on TV. Dancing around like crazy fools...... I am sure the Euros would not have acted that way. I believe they still see the game in a much more formal way than we do here. I know.....it's a cultural thing. I complain about Euros on one hand for not opening up a little, and bitch about goofy American connections with the other.........is there a mid way point? I hope so.[/QUOTE

I wonder what Sir Stoute thought . :lol: :lol:
Yes we are a lot less formal and in many ways !

Irish Boy
11-02-2013, 11:06 PM
No more live singing. It is never not painful.

Augenj
11-02-2013, 11:07 PM
:lol:

Track Phantom
11-03-2013, 12:10 AM
The speed bias made the racing unwatchable. Has nothing to do with the wagering, just the pure enjoyment of the racing experience. It was disgusting.

It so favored speed horses that it was unfair. It would be like allowing some pro golfers to tee off from the lady's box. Hated every minute of this weekend.

GMB@BP
11-03-2013, 01:09 AM
The speed bias made the racing unwatchable. Has nothing to do with the wagering, just the pure enjoyment of the racing experience. It was disgusting.

It so favored speed horses that it was unfair. It would be like allowing some pro golfers to tee off from the lady's box. Hated every minute of this weekend.

You thought today was speed biased?

CincyHorseplayer
11-03-2013, 01:43 AM
Hearing the hole in people's face open up expressing their discontent because they are a bunch of self imposed miserable f**ks and lose wholeheartedly!:cool:

CincyHorseplayer
11-03-2013, 01:47 AM

You are the worst horseplayer alive if you can spot a bias and not act accordingly.Total idiot.

shouldacoulda
11-03-2013, 01:51 AM
Call to post should be played on a trumpet and not an electric guitar. If Hendrix was playing it though it probably would have been cool but that ain't gonna happen.

greyblur
11-03-2013, 06:02 AM
You are the worst horseplayer alive if you can spot a bias and not act accordingly.Total idiot.

Yes, Fridays bias was obvious and one can adjust.
But it was the Breeders Cup and while I love making money of this game, on these days it is best to have the best horses win. No one was able to make any ground on Friday and the track was unfair.

Robert Goren
11-03-2013, 06:38 AM
By far and away the worst thing about this Breeder's Cup was all the bitching and crying about how unfair it was to have an early speed bias. Give me break. Horse racing including the Breeder's Cup is about gambling. Gambling is about finding an edge. It is not about what is or isn't fair to the horses. I think most of bitching had more to do with Santa Anita hosting the Cup than anything else. It just kills some people that an east coast track doesn't host the Breeder's Cup every year. If the Breeder's Cup had been at Belmont and it had the same speed-inside bias that it had all fall would there have so much griping? I don't think so.

Robert Goren
11-03-2013, 06:42 AM
You are the worst horseplayer alive if you can spot a bias and not act accordingly.Total idiot.Agreed! What gets me is that some of the loudest griping has come from people who wouldn't bet a closer if their life depended on it.

Aerocraft67
11-03-2013, 07:40 AM
That the chalk won all the races run mainly by mature American runners Saturday (i.e., two exceptions with the Juvenile and the Euro-loaded turf race). No conspiracy or sour grapes or anything, but would have been nice to see an upset or two. Hard to get excited about Mucho Macho Man paying $10 in that regard.

lamboguy
11-03-2013, 07:43 AM
i offered for the 2 days. but had the greatest time

FrankieFigs
11-03-2013, 08:19 AM
Secret Compass' breakdown and Johnny V's emergency surgery.

dkithore
11-03-2013, 08:22 AM
Agreed! What gets me is that some of the loudest griping has come from people who wouldn't bet a closer if their life depended on it.
Congratulations for being a top scorer in a the Overlay contest.

Track Phantom
11-03-2013, 08:50 AM

Speaking of total idiot....How about re-reading my post? I said "nothing to do with the wagering".

soupman2
11-03-2013, 09:11 AM
Having a winning day yesterday, and then giving it back today.
I don't like it when this happens.

And I agree with you, J.R. about all the holy s*** in the winners' circle. That was real, real bad form. :lol:

Totally agree with your first part. The second part, what would you expect him to do? What did he lose by that call $200k immediately and how much in breeding money? I have no problem with the display.

alhattab
11-03-2013, 09:20 AM

That was truly awful. It was unwatchable I had to turn it off. I only put in back on because the hockey game I flipped to was equally putrid.

jerry-g
11-03-2013, 09:21 AM
I had break through bleeding early on and had to hit the stop button to
engage my fail-safe. By the time I had it figured out, it was all over but
the shouting. I hated the common-taters talking so loudly and over the
announcer trying to tell us the order of loading. Sort of reminded me of
a bar where everyone is talking loudly but no one listens. Their drinks may
have been spiked with frog juice.

Beachbabe
11-03-2013, 09:40 AM
The "prime time" version, where they switched to NBC for an hour long blah-fest before the Classic.
200 yr old Joan Rivers complaining about the lighting, then giving her well thought out pick.........OY VAY!! Who cares?

I think it was around that time that I also screamed "holy s**t.

ponyplayerdotca
11-03-2013, 09:43 AM
NBC has far too much emphasis on the "entertainment" angle on these broadcasts. How about filling about half of the time wasted on meaningless interviews with Cat Sadler with actual foresight on the upcoming races?

They have far too many analysts who are nothing more than glorified interviewers, none of whom offer anything to the viewing (or betting) public. There are plenty of specific horse stories that could be analyzed getting the viewer prepared for the race they are about to see, and not just the usual trainer and owner profiles (Bob Baffert, Gary Stevens, Ken and Sarah Ramsey - we KNOW who they are - you tell us every time there is a horse racing broadcast. What horses are in the effin' race?!).

And the mismanagement of air time again. One hour booked in prime time and yet they have no time but 60 seconds at 8:58pm ET to present the BREEDERS' CUP CLASSIC trophy and a few words from the connections so they can get off the air because they don't have ENOUGH TIME?

It happened on WGN with the Arlington Million earlier this summer (and it's not a rare occurence for some reason).

I know it will never change because the producers that work at these big networks keep regurgitating the same tired formula so they don't have to actually be innovative anymore.

Bennie
11-03-2013, 10:15 AM
Just a few things I didn't like about this years Breeder Cup-

Taken place at Santa Anita- not just the track but the "local celebs" attending allow for the awful entertainment they provided.
Horsemen and fans from the backwoods of good old Kentucky have more class then they do. And if this was ever run in the Mideast, they would have cut off the fingers of the person playing the guitar and cut out the tongue of the person singing.
This is supposed to be the grand stage of horse racing not the stage at some Hollywood Studio.
The racing surface I adjusted to the best I could. Saturday was better than Friday by my opinion and although I lost a little I totally enjoyed the Mile Turf and Classic races.

Shelby
11-03-2013, 10:20 AM
I like for the venue to be switched. I think it's at SA again next year. Why or how did they get it 3 years in a row? Or is it always there from now on?

speed
11-03-2013, 10:27 AM
I like for the venue to be switched. I think it's at SA again next year. Why or how did they get it 3 years in a row? Or is it always there from now on?
They kept playing the movie 10, over and over until the board members of the breeders cup had no blood left in their brains. It had moved to another body part, then they voted on the venue. :D[/QUOTE]

delayjf
11-03-2013, 10:34 AM
The "prime time" version, where they switched to NBC for an hour long blah-fest before the Classic.

An hour between races is too long. Especially if your at the track (which I was). That hour really dragged.

wiffleball whizz
11-03-2013, 10:36 AM
An hour between races is too long. Especially if your at the track (which I was). That hour really dragged.

Tons of other things to bet on.....8-9 on a Saturday night is as good as it gets

johnhannibalsmith
11-03-2013, 10:50 AM
Getting a TVG style "stretch run" of the turf sprint.

The aerial shots are nifty and yes, the Santa Anita turf course, is peculiar and pretty to look at. But, really? From the gate to the quarter pole from the camera on the surface of Neptune? And as if the idea wasn't bad enough, all the various overlays on the screen obscured half of the horses - if you could make them out in the first place.

I've gotten used to all the wacky angles during the race. I can cope. But come on now with the "ant cam" view for almost the entire running. That was simply a horrendous decision by whatever braniac it is that makes such decisions.

Mineshaft
11-03-2013, 10:54 AM
Its time for another track to host the Breeders Cup. The last 2-3 years the Cali trainers and owners have an advantage running out there own backyard. They don't have to ship at all that is unfair to the other East Coast, Midwest, and Southern trainers and owners. Let the Cali horses have to ship every once in a while.

olddaddy
11-03-2013, 11:14 AM
I never liked SA as the location for BC but was hoping that eventually maybe some aussie and asian horses would make the trip, thats not happening. Being in cali hurts the # of euros coming in. When the BC started it was suppose to be world championships, that never materialized. Dubai took that over.

Mineshaft
11-03-2013, 11:19 AM
SA is fine to host the Breeders Cup but 3 years in a row possibly 4 that's ridiculous

PaceAdvantage
11-03-2013, 11:24 AM
If they want to continue the Classic in prime time (and I think they do), nobody else but Churchill can host at the moment, as they have lights. Belmont has no lights, and neither do any of the other hosts that have a shot in hell of ever getting the BC again.

Grits
11-03-2013, 11:30 AM
According to Privman's piece posted on "Handle rising", 4 of the last 6 Breeders' Cups have been at Santa Anita. * This is wrong.*

Churchill being well lit now has no problem with the Classic, or any race that's to be run later on the card. This is not a matter of "we're not ready for prime time."

Louisville may not be in the 80s the first of November, but still, this is unfair, year after year, to all horseman, and to all jocks, nationwide, and to those traveling from Europe. Its unfair to bettors and fans, as well.

Edit to add: *in my opinion*--this is wrong, not that Jay Privman's reporting is wrong.

ManU918
11-03-2013, 11:33 AM
If they want to continue the Classic in prime time (and I think they do), nobody else but Churchill can host at the moment, as they have lights. Belmont has no lights, and neither do any of the other hosts that have a shot in hell of ever getting the BC again.

It's been at Santa Anita or Churchill for the last 7 years. Doesn't Woodbine have lights?

PaceAdvantage
11-03-2013, 11:34 AM
If they want to continue the Classic in prime time (and I think they do), nobody else but Churchill can host at the moment, as they have lights. Belmont has no lights, and neither do any of the other hosts that have a shot in hell of ever getting the BC again.I take this back. Woodbine has lights.

PaceAdvantage
11-03-2013, 11:34 AM
It's been at Santa Anita or Churchill for the last 7 years. Doesn't Woodbine have lights?You beat me to it...but I posted before I saw this...lol

ManU918
11-03-2013, 11:36 AM
You beat me to it...but I posted before I saw this...lol

hahaha... No worries... I wouldn't mind seeing it back at Woodbine... eh

Shelby
11-03-2013, 11:37 AM
I never liked SA as the location for BC but was hoping that eventually maybe some aussie and asian horses would make the trip, thats not happening. Being in cali hurts the # of euros coming in. When the BC started it was suppose to be world championships, that never materialized. Dubai took that over.

I wonder why no Australians or Asians come over?

Shelby
11-03-2013, 11:39 AM
I always forget about the lights.

Remington Park has lights..... lol

magwell
11-03-2013, 11:46 AM
I hope it stays at S.A. from now on, IMO that is where it belongs.......:cool:

Shelby
11-03-2013, 11:54 AM
I hope it stays at S.A. from now on, IMO that is where it belongs.......:cool:

I get it. The weather is usually perfect and it's a beautiful track. I just think it would be more fair to move it around.

Didn't Lone Star host it a few years ago? Do they not have lights? I've never been there.

Saratoga_Mike
11-03-2013, 11:55 AM
I take this back. Woodbine has lights.

What about Charles Town?

PaceAdvantage
11-03-2013, 11:55 AM
Didn't Lone Star host it a few years ago? Do they not have lights? I've never been there.Yes, but I qualified my statement with "tracks that have a shot in hell of ever getting it again."

Which Lone Star, rightly or wrongly, lights or no lights, does not.

PaceAdvantage
11-03-2013, 11:56 AM
What about Charles Town?Again, I limited myself to tracks that actually have a chance of getting the BC, lights or no lights...you really think Charles Town has a shot in hell of sniffing a BC?

Beachbabe
11-03-2013, 11:57 AM
Penn National. :jump:

Shelby
11-03-2013, 11:59 AM
Yes, but I qualified my statement with "tracks that have a shot in hell of ever getting it again."

I know I must have watched that BC, but I sure as hell don't remember it. I take it Lone Star wasn't the optimum place lol.

Saratoga_Mike
11-03-2013, 12:03 PM
What didn't you like about the NBC Sports/NBC broadcast?

1) Billy Bush. First, who is he? I'm told he's on Access Hollywood? He detracted from the entire program. Would a network use him as a major player in broadcasting the Super Bowl? Never.

2) The racing feed. Why not just show the track's live feed? Can the track not provide it b/c of some contractual deal with off-track betting partners? The network's footage (no matter who it is) is always inferior to the live track feed.

3) Celebrity interviews/selections. See #1. Who cares what they think.

Saratoga_Mike
11-03-2013, 12:05 PM
Again, I limited myself to tracks that actually have a chance of getting the BC, lights or no lights...you really think Charles Town has a shot in hell of sniffing a BC?

....maybe if they increase the track size and add a turf course...so probably not.

Saratoga_Mike
11-03-2013, 12:07 PM
Yes, but I qualified my statement with "tracks that have a shot in hell of ever getting it again."

Lone Star hosted the BC in 2004.

PaceAdvantage
11-03-2013, 12:17 PM
Lone Star hosted the BC in 2004.I'm not getting you. Is this some sort of shtick?

Jeff P
11-03-2013, 12:18 PM
Speaking strictly for myself...

I LOVED the original idea of the BC being held at a different venue each year.

From Wikipedia:
Past and FutureBreeders' Cup sites: (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breeders%27_Cup)

2014 - Santa Anita Park
2013 – Santa Anita Park[7]
2012 – Santa Anita Park
2011 – Churchill Downs
2010 – Churchill Downs
2009 – Santa Anita Park
2008 – Santa Anita Park
2007 – Monmouth Park
2006 – Churchill Downs
2005 – Belmont Park
2004 – Lone Star Park
2003 – Santa Anita Park
2002 – Arlington Park
2001 – Belmont Park
2000 – Churchill Downs
1999 – Gulfstream Park
1998 – Churchill Downs
1997 – Hollywood Park
1996 – Woodbine
1995 – Belmont Park
1994 – Churchill Downs
1993 – Santa Anita Park
1992 – Gulfstream Park
1991 – Churchill Downs
1990 – Belmont Park
1989 – Gulfstream Park
1988 – Churchill Downs
1987 – Hollywood Park
1986 – Santa Anita Park
1985 – Aqueduct
1984 – Hollywood Park

Other than Lone Star (which in my opinion was a bit of a stretch) I'd like to see the BC give the original idea a little more emphasis than they have.

-jp

Shelby
11-03-2013, 12:21 PM
I'm not getting you. Is this some sort of shtick?

:lol:

Cut some slack, twas a big day yesterday.

salty
11-03-2013, 12:22 PM
My best bet getting DQ'd. Shes a tiger gets taken down, yet they have no action on the 9 swerving in front of the 1. Two problems in the same race stretch run, I don't think that the bump did anything to change the outcome of the race, mostly due to the fact that the jockey didn't even react like he got hit. I don't know how to blow up the video big enough to see the contact but you see what the jock on the 1 did when the 9 flew in and see the lack of any reaction of the jock on the 5. If someone throws in that argument that it was because the race was worth so much money, why didn't they put the 9 behind the 1?

Anyways... I have never walked around cursing to myself like that through a casino before. I'm just going to stay away from the breeders cup next year.

:bang: :mad: :bang: :mad: :bang:

One other thing i don't like is that the euros are allowed to have no published workouts?

Saratoga_Mike
11-03-2013, 12:24 PM
I'm not getting you. Is this some sort of shtick?

I was obviously joking with you about CT, but why are you ruling out LS? I know they brought in temporary seating in 2004. Was it a disaster? I don't remember. I realize LS has lost a lot of luster in the past 10 yrs due to the change in ownership.

Robert Goren
11-03-2013, 12:24 PM
What would have happen if Belmont would have had the BC last year? It would have gone the way of the NY marathon, Canceled! The last thing racing needs is another MTH fiasco. I could care less about what is fair to the horsemen. Horse racing needs to be fair to its bettors. SA had very good couple days for the bettors. It always has when it hosted the BC. The same can't said for the other tracks that have hosted it. It is roll of the dice when it goes east. Sorry, but a mudfest on horse racing biggest day is a very bad thing.

Robert Goren
11-03-2013, 12:26 PM
I was obviously joking with you about CT, but why are you ruling out LS? I know they brought in temporary seating in 2004. Was it a disaster? I don't remember. I realize LS has lost a lot of luster in the past 10 yrs due to the change in ownership. You're kidding right?

PaceAdvantage
11-03-2013, 12:27 PM
What would have happen if Belmont would have had the BC last year? It would have gone the way of the NY marathon, Canceled! The last thing racing needs is another MTH fiasco. I could care less about what is fair to the horsemen. Horse racing needs to be fair to its bettors. SA had very good couple days for the bettors. It always has when it hosted the BC. The same can't said for the other tracks that have hosted it. It is roll of the dice when it goes east. Sorry, but a mudfest on horse racing biggest day is a very bad thing.This is about as stupid as saying it shouldn't be held at Santa Anita because of the very real possibility of earthquakes / wild fires.

Let me ask you. What is the chance of another major hurricane knocking Belmont compared to the chance of an earthquake/wild fire having a negative impact at Santa Anita?

I'd say the chances are about equal. So let's cross them both off the list.

Next.

Saratoga_Mike
11-03-2013, 12:27 PM
You're kidding right?

Look, do I think it's going to happen next yr? No. Would I rule it out in the next ten yrs? No. Was I kidding about CT? Obviously - they don't have a freaking turf course and it's a bull ring.

Inglewood Flamingo
11-03-2013, 12:37 PM
You are right PA, wild fires are certainly a reoccurring possibility just like in 2003 at SA because of the Southern California Santa Ana winds. I remember there being plenty of press that the horses on the backside were having repository problems due to the smoke. That couldn't be good for an equine athlete. I'll take my chances with the risk of mud to enjoy a change of scenery and handicapping challenges.

Stillriledup
11-03-2013, 12:38 PM
My best bet getting DQ'd. Shes a tiger gets taken down, yet they have no action on the 9 swerving in front of the 1. Two problems in the same race stretch run, I don't think that the bump did anything to change the outcome of the race, mostly due to the fact that the jockey didn't even react like he got hit. I don't know how to blow up the video big enough to see the contact but you see what the jock on the 1 did when the 9 flew in and see the lack of any reaction of the jock on the 5. If someone throws in that argument that it was because the race was worth so much money, why didn't they put the 9 behind the 1?

Anyways... I have never walked around cursing to myself like that through a casino before. I'm just going to stay away from the breeders cup next year.

:bang: :mad: :bang: :mad: :bang:

One other thing i don't like is that the euros are allowed to have no published workouts?

Ever hear of SRU downs? :D

Stillriledup
11-03-2013, 12:39 PM
BC on Polytrack in 2015 at a "new" venue?

;)

speed
11-03-2013, 12:42 PM
I believe GP had plans to build seating for 50,000 or so in order to be able to host the Breeders cup again.

Inglewood Flamingo
11-03-2013, 12:50 PM
Del Mar is supposed to be preparing for hosting the BC sometime in the near future.

olddaddy
11-03-2013, 01:24 PM

There is so much money out there is probably the main reason. The aussie and asian horses go to dubai to strut their stuff, I dont think they look at BC as much of a championship meet.

mountainman
11-03-2013, 01:58 PM
Arrogant foreigners being referred to as "sir so and so" even as they turn their backs on the interviewer. I wish Privman had called him "dude" 3 or 4 times.

delayjf
11-03-2013, 02:26 PM
Del Mar is supposed to be preparing for hosting the BC sometime in the near future.

Why not Saratoga as well.

wiffleball whizz
11-03-2013, 02:51 PM
Just got word the 2017 BC is gonna be at pimlico.....I heard it from great sources....also are these the people that are betting late?!?

GMB@BP
11-03-2013, 02:58 PM

Belmont probably wont get it until they have lights.

JustRalph
11-03-2013, 03:23 PM
200 yr old Joan Rivers complaining about the lighting, then giving her well thought out pick.........OY VAY!! Who cares?

I think it was around that time that I also screamed "holy s**t.

You had to be a "Joan Ranger" to get the joke. I love that she gets better as she gets older. The wife DVR's her cable show "Fashion" something. Funny as hell.

She has a show/podcast on Apple TV "In Bed with Joan" that's starting to get legs too. No holds barred interviews with comedians. Off beat to say the least.

JustRalph
11-03-2013, 03:37 PM
I don't want another Monmouth no matter what. Ruined what could have been a great day.

When they announced it was going to Monmouth I raised hell about the possibility of bad weather and was excoriated by users on the board here, for being everything but a nice little horseplayer.

I think after the Monmouth debacle, it's hard to look at the east coast again.

The memory will fade though. I am betting Belmont gets it again.

nijinski
11-03-2013, 03:44 PM

They were here as owners Friday / An Australian partnership purchased London Bridge about a month ago .Read they got a great price ,

The Irish , British and French seem up to it , it's a huge change of climate and conditions . IMO The British and Irish horses are better . They
have the Aga Khan, Arab money and all the other big breeding operations and training facilities .
BTW Ian Wilkes was born in Australia .

Grits
11-03-2013, 04:16 PM
I think after the Monmouth debacle, it's hard to look at the east coast again.

Still, this is a poor reason not to give a track like Churchill a rotation. Very poor. The probability of better weather in SoCal is true, but its not absolute. And again, why should all have to ship there, year after year, particularly to tolerate over inflated prices on everything one comes in contact with. This was never the plan when BC World Championships came into being by its founder, Kentuckian, John Gaines.

Shelby
11-03-2013, 04:26 PM
Still, this is a poor reason not to give a track like Churchill a rotation. Very poor. The probability of better weather in SoCal is true, but its not absolute. And again, why should all have to ship there, year after year, particularly to tolerate over inflated prices on everything one comes in contact with. This was never the plan when BC World Championships came into being by its founder, Kentuckian, John Gaines.

Amen to that.

nijinski
11-03-2013, 04:29 PM
Arrogant foreigners being referred to as "sir so and so" even as they turn their backs on the interviewer. I wish Privman had called him "dude" 3 or 4 times.

They should have their horses Knighted for coming on to the track
unescorted ;)

Irish Boy
11-03-2013, 04:33 PM
Shocking that this page is on page six and the mirror "what did you like" thread is on page two. :lol:

Grits
11-03-2013, 04:38 PM
Shocking that this page is on page six and the mirror "what did you like" thread is on page two. :lol:

You kidding? You know its not shocking... Heck, it'll probably double in the next 24 hours. When those that haven't spoken up leave for work Monday morning and realize they don't have even $5 bucks for lunch.

nijinski
11-03-2013, 04:39 PM

True , but not all here is critical of the BC , we even defend some .
But we are always up to the debate :)

Shelby
11-03-2013, 04:43 PM
I don't like that Gary Stevens got suspended for 3 days for his ride on She's A Tiger.

Irish Boy
11-03-2013, 04:46 PM
I don't like that Gary Stevens got suspended for 3 days for his ride on She's A Tiger.
What? That's ridiculous. I thought the DQ was justified but that's crazy.

mountainman
11-03-2013, 05:51 PM
They should have their horses Knighted for coming on to the track
unescorted ;)

Why not? They sure aren't stingy with that particular title.

Shelby
11-03-2013, 05:52 PM
Yep, totally ridiculous.

From Twitter:
Steve Andersen ‏@DRFAndersen 2h
Jockey Gary Stevens has received a 3-day suspension for causing interference on DQ'd She's a Tiger in Saturday's BC Juv Fillies. #santaanita

Irish Boy
11-03-2013, 06:01 PM
Yep, totally ridiculous.

From Twitter:
Steve Andersen ‏@DRFAndersen 2h
Jockey Gary Stevens has received a 3-day suspension for causing interference on DQ'd She's a Tiger in Saturday's BC Juv Fillies. #santaanita
Well, on the bright side, it gives Gary a couple of days to work on his golf game. Won't hurt him the way it would hurt most other jockeys. He doesn't need the mount fees.

PaceAdvantage
11-03-2013, 06:36 PM
Just got word the 2017 BC is gonna be at pimlico.....I heard it from great sources....also are these the people that are betting late?!?Was that a shot from the simulcast pavilion on the Titanic?

Irish Boy
11-03-2013, 06:39 PM
I went to Canterbury Saturday morning and the place was packed (relatively speaking). At least 1,500 there, maybe 2,000 or more. Not bad for a dark day in a state that allows advance-deposit wagering. Plus, as a 27 year old, I was not out of place. Lots of younger people there. Very encouraging to see.

PaceAdvantage
11-03-2013, 06:39 PM
When they announced it was going to Monmouth I raised hell about the possibility of bad weather and was excoriated by users on the board here, for being everything but a nice little horseplayer. As well you should have been! I don't understand this kind of thinking.

If this was such a horrible idea, why did it work so well for the majority of the Breeders' Cup's existence? Why do the majority of players want to see a return of some sort of regular rotation?

The weather here in NY has been relatively dry as a bone...there hasn't been any heavy rain to speak of the last month or so...temps have been in the 60s consistently lately during the day...of course, at Belmont, that means it's going to feel like 40, but that's another story for another day... :lol:

wiffleball whizz
11-03-2013, 06:41 PM
I went to Canterbury Saturday morning and the place was packed (relatively speaking). At least 1,500 there, maybe 2,000 or more. Not bad for a dark day in a state that allows advance-deposit wagering. Plus, as a 27 year old, I was not out of place. Lots of younger people there. Very encouraging to see.

I'd like to go there one day

Fingal
11-03-2013, 06:44 PM

After standing down at the paddock for almost an hour waiting for the classic horses, we walk out trackside to hear this screeching chick.

G Stevens was on one of the local racing shows here in S Cal this morning & said it made his ears hurt during the post parade.

Irish Boy
11-03-2013, 06:47 PM
I'd like to go there one day
It's a nice enough track. Its not Saratoga or Santa Anita or anything, but for a low/mid level track it compares very well to Prairie Meadows, Hawthorne, etc. in terms of facilities.

wiffleball whizz
11-03-2013, 06:54 PM
It's a nice enough track. Its not Saratoga or Santa Anita or anything, but for a low/mid level track it compares very well to Prairie Meadows, Hawthorne, etc. in terms of facilities.

Would love to do a twin game and a gopher game one weekend with a little cby

tanner12oz
11-03-2013, 06:59 PM
Didn't like the Friday bias...still hate the 2 day format...don't like that NBC sports network isn't on whatever tv platform I have...don't like that the audio wasn't synced up with the video on hrtv which made it look like a bad Godzilla movie...

wiffleball whizz
11-03-2013, 07:06 PM
Guys nothing for nothing if you don't like the NBC commentary/feed/angles or whatever go to the track it's that easy

FiveWide
11-03-2013, 10:00 PM
Guys nothing for nothing if you don't like the NBC commentary/feed/angles or whatever go to the track it's that easy

Agreed. What NBC is doing is providing entertainment which is exactly what the sport needs to grow. Commentaries, cool horse/owner/trainer/jockey stories fits that agenda very well. If you want the hard nose details of the game hit up TVG or HRTV. I honestly like them both and flip between the two. It's w/e suits your fancy.

-Five

thespaah
11-03-2013, 11:41 PM

Friday's track bias and ludicrous race times threatened the integrity of the sport and the BC. Fortunately it appeared the track maintenance staff got to work and straightened it out.
Though I steered clear of NBC's coverage in favor of HRTV( they did an admirable job. Also good to see TLG getting some well deserved TV time) I had to switch to NBC for the BC CLassic.
NBC had severe audio problems. Collmus call was inaudible once the horses neared the top of the stretch.

thespaah
11-03-2013, 11:43 PM

That was a good angle for the replays. Although they could have used a telestrator or a method to highlight the horses(s) being discussed.

thespaah
11-03-2013, 11:45 PM
I agree. Totally unnecessary.

JustRalph
11-04-2013, 01:26 AM
Predicting the weather. A year in advance is impossible.

They are just playing the odds.

As well you should have been! I don't understand this kind of thinking.

If this was such a horrible idea, why did it work so well for the majority of the Breeders' Cup's existence? Why do the majority of players want to see a return of some sort of regular rotation?

The weather here in NY has been relatively dry as a bone...there hasn't been any heavy rain to speak of the last month or so...temps have been in the 60s consistently lately during the day...of course, at Belmont, that means it's going to feel like 40, but that's another story for another day... :lol:

tanner12oz
11-04-2013, 05:28 AM
I'm waiting for the overseas breeders cup which I know is being floated and probably coming soon

ManU918
11-04-2013, 07:30 AM
I'm waiting for the overseas breeders cup which I know is being floated and probably coming soon

Never gonna happen.

jahura2
11-04-2013, 08:50 AM
I dont mind Santa Anita at all, just dont have the Cup there EVERY year!
In arguments against SA I dont buy in to the bias argument because if there is a bias it is up to me to recognize it and adapt.
In arguments for SA I dont buy the weather argument because racing isnt meant to have perfect sunny skies and temps every day, its not like that for most of us. I absolutely do not care about the celebrities so spare me there mindless observations. Just give me racing people and handicappers and I would be happy.
Other than Churchill if the other eastern and midwest tracks want the cup, they better step up their game and install lighting (Belmont,Gulfstream) and more seating (Gulfstream).
I would be OK with Woodbine, or Arlington getting in to the rotation , just not sure if they would allow it to be run on sythetics any more.
Give Del Mar a shot too.
Just please go back to the original plan and rotate.

Capper Al
11-04-2013, 09:18 AM
Losing money. Why i play the Bleeders' Cup, I don't know.

mountainman
11-04-2013, 09:44 AM
Wes Welker making one feeble grab for a mike easily secured by sure-handed Jay Privman. The pundits maintain possesion.

mountainman
11-04-2013, 09:56 AM
The desk crew not quite giving donna barton props for tabbing Groupie Doll. Narcissism, thy name is racing analyst.

breezing
11-04-2013, 10:11 AM
Give Del Mar a shot too.

being from the area i haven't a clue as to why people want the BC to go to Del Mar. in fact, i don't know a single person who actually goes to Del Mar (other than employees) who want or will go to a BC held there. it's a claustrophobic track with a view of 5 freeway, if you crane your neck you may catch the ocean. the new, small, train platform planned may help but it's still a pain in the behind to get to and, imho, one of the most over-rated tracks in the country (unless you just like to stare at drunken 20-somethings all day).

cutchemist42
11-04-2013, 10:28 AM
I really only disliked the aerials during the race, I actually love the view during a replay. While I knew the horse's position during the aerial, people watching with me forget to count out the gate positions and had no clue where their rooting horse was.

Track Phantom
11-04-2013, 11:25 AM
You had to be a "Joan Ranger" to get the joke. I love that she gets better as she gets older. The wife DVR's her cable show "Fashion" something. Funny as hell.

She has a show/podcast on Apple TV "In Bed with Joan" that's starting to get legs too. No holds barred interviews with comedians. Off beat to say the least.

You have to turn in your man card.

mountainman
11-04-2013, 11:39 AM
unless you just like to stare at drunken 20-somethings all day).

Which gender?

thespaah
11-04-2013, 12:03 PM
I dont mind Santa Anita at all, just dont have the Cup there EVERY year!
In arguments against SA I dont buy in to the bias argument because if there is a bias it is up to me to recognize it and adapt.
In arguments for SA I dont buy the weather argument because racing isnt meant to have perfect sunny skies and temps every day, its not like that for most of us. I absolutely do not care about the celebrities so spare me there mindless observations. Just give me racing people and handicappers and I would be happy.
Other than Churchill if the other eastern and midwest tracks want the cup, they better step up their game and install lighting (Belmont,Gulfstream) and more seating (Gulfstream).
I would be OK with Woodbine, or Arlington getting in to the rotation , just not sure if they would allow it to be run on sythetics any more.
Give Del Mar a shot too.
Just please go back to the original plan and rotate.
The biggest fear among the BC management is the threat of cold or rainy weather cutting back on track attendance and handle.
I would like to see Bel, AP, Wo back in the rotation. But I also believe there would be a need for a radical schedule change. That would most likely be something along the lines of moving the BC up three weeks. Perhaps to the second or even first weekend in October.
Of course this would throw a monkey wrench into the gear work of Fall Stakes schedules....Imagine the JH Turf Classic, JCGC being shifted to the first week in September? What then happens to the Woodward and farther back, the Whitney?
That's just NY....Keeneland's stakes calendar would be thrown for a loop as well.

dilanesp
11-04-2013, 12:37 PM
On Dave Johnson's Sirius radio show, he interviewed the head of the Breeders' Cup, and I heard the interview on the way out to Santa Anita.

He said a lot of tracks who tell the press they want the BC don't actually submit bids, and that Santa Anita was the only track that has actually been bidding. He specifically said NYRA has not been bidding.

I don't know if that is true, but I certainly wouldn't bet on the event going anywhere else for awhile if that is what the guy is saying.

dilanesp
11-04-2013, 12:39 PM
The biggest fear among the BC management is the threat of cold or rainy weather cutting back on track attendance and handle.
I would like to see Bel, AP, Wo back in the rotation. But I also believe there would be a need for a radical schedule change. That would most likely be something along the lines of moving the BC up three weeks. Perhaps to the second or even first weekend in October.
Of course this would throw a monkey wrench into the gear work of Fall Stakes schedules....Imagine the JH Turf Classic, JCGC being shifted to the first week in September? What then happens to the Woodward and farther back, the Whitney?
That's just NY....Keeneland's stakes calendar would be thrown for a loop as well.

NBC will not let them do this.

dilanesp
11-04-2013, 12:41 PM

NBC will not allow it. Also too many logistical nightmares.

Stillriledup
11-04-2013, 02:12 PM
Billy Bush talking horse racing today on Access Hollywood Live, so, for all the negative comments about him, he's discussing how much fun he had at the horse races to an audience to doesnt know one end of a horse from another.

So, yeah.

:D

nearco
11-04-2013, 02:14 PM

Run it the same weekend as the Arc and the associated championship races that happen that weekend?

jahura2
11-04-2013, 04:25 PM

Spaah, I definitely agree they are terrified of a bad weather day, but my favorite day at the races in my 57 years was BC 1988 at Churchill I seem to recall a few of racings greatest memories created on an awful weather day, Personal Ensign running down Winning Colors when it seemed impossible and Alysheba"Americas Horse" winning the Classic in the dark on a cold dreary day in November. I wouldnt trade that day for any I have had, but I am just small potatoes, a true racing fan and dont change their economic outlook when I wager. What am I saying they dont care too much for anyone that wagers unless you are a blue blood or a celebrity. Just flapping my gums. Its still time to get back to some sort of rotation.

dilanesp
11-04-2013, 06:03 PM
Spaah, I definitely agree they are terrified of a bad weather day, but my favorite day at the races in my 57 years was BC 1988 at Churchill I seem to recall a few of racings greatest memories created on an awful weather day, Personal Ensign running down Winning Colors when it seemed impossible and Alysheba"Americas Horse" winning the Classic in the dark on a cold dreary day in November. I wouldnt trade that day for any I have had, but I am just small potatoes, a true racing fan and dont change their economic outlook when I wager. What am I saying they dont care too much for anyone that wagers unless you are a blue blood or a celebrity. Just flapping my gums. Its still time to get back to some sort of rotation.

I thought Personal Ensign's bias-aided win was outrageous, but I agree with your general point-- 1988 shows that you can have an exciting day of racing in bad weather. Indeed, I think of bad weather as part of the game. Off tracks are interesting in all sorts of ways. And I liked the BC at Monmouth in 2007 too. (Monmouth's delicious clam chowder is the antidote to rain and cold!)

And as an additional data point, football, which is also a game that incorporates the weather, is having its first cold weather Super Bowl this year.

Having said that, however, there's also counter-arguments. It's hard to determine championships when the races are run on off tracks. (In 1988, it was fortunate that Alysheba, who is an an-time near great, won. Had he lost, there would have been a huge argument, because he hated off tracks. And they might have given HOTY to the inferior Personal Ensign, which would have been a travesty.) There can be safety issues (Aiden O'Brien was famously pissed about George Washington breaking down on the slop at Monmouth). The fans are uncomfortable.

More importantly to the BC, the corporate types whose support is crucial to making the whole thing work are very uncomfortable in wet weather. I am not sure how many people here regularly attend the BC as I do, but the BC is not just a couple of race cards-- it's a huge enterprise involving all sorts of parties, corporate hospitality, celebrities, catering, etc., all of which you see when you go to the track. That stuff is just both much more attractive for the attendees, and much easier to put on, in a place where the weather is good. I suspect the BC actually takes something of a financial bath every time they hold the thing in cold weather (because they can't put on as many events for the rich and the corporate types), and that's why so many BC's are held in Southern California (and why so many of them used to be held in Florida before Gulfstream remodeled). The Super Bowl comparison is notable here too-- there's a whole bunch of stuff the NFL does in connection with the event, from hospitality to halftime shows, that's just easier to do in Southern California or Florida, and that's why so many Super Bowls are held in those places even though they actually don't have the best stadium facilities.

At any rate, bottom line is that weather is very important to the people putting on these events.

Having said that, I suspect they have sent out the signal to other tracks that they want the thing at Santa Anita, because they say they aren't even receiving bids from other tracks these days. So expect it to be here for awhile.

thespaah
11-04-2013, 07:10 PM
Run it the same weekend as the Arc and the associated championship races that happen that weekend?
That's the issue with moving up the BC. Too many important stake races would get stepped on.
So, the BC will either have to suck it up and deal with the potential for poor weather or just admit that Santa Anita's marketing moniker is no longer the "Great Race Place" but "The Home of the Breeders Cup"..

pandy
11-04-2013, 08:02 PM
I thought last year's was one of the worst B.Cups ever, mainly due to the speed bias. This year, Friday's racing was ruined by the bias, so out of the last 4 days one was good. Saturday was a good day. But I would like to see it held at more venues. Santa Anita doesn't do a good job at track maintenance.

JustRalph
11-04-2013, 09:13 PM
You have to turn in your man card.

Secure in the fact that my man card stays in my wallet..............

jefftune
11-04-2013, 10:04 PM
What I didn't like:

-The unfair track on Friday.
-The DQ on Saturday which cost me a few $$$