PDA

View Full Version : NBC did a fine job.

Grits
11-02-2013, 09:45 PM
This was the finest racing telecast I've seen in a long while. In one hour, NBC presented the iconic event of our sport--its horses, its riders, its connections. They spent time around the barns with the horses and trainers ... but more importantly, they worked at showcasing the excitement of racing, drawing fans in.

They presented this sport as awesome, fast paced. They showed that its cool to go out to the track. Plenty of music, and shots of the crowd having loads of fun. ... Then, a race that was incredible, culminating with a winners' circle celebration for the ages. One made up of players that have beaten more odds than many of us could ever count. Great work by NBC producers!

As Andy just now said on HRTV's wrap up, "you can't walk away from that Classic, from that race, without feeling the excitement."

He's right!!

wiffleball whizz
11-02-2013, 09:53 PM
This was the finest racing telecast I've seen in a long while. In one hour, NBC presented the iconic event of our sport--its horses, its riders, its connections. They spent time around the barns with the horses and trainers ... but more importantly, they worked at showcasing the excitement of racing, drawing fans in.

They presented this sport as awesome, fast paced. They showed that its cool to go out to the track. Plenty of music, and shots of the crowd having loads of fun. ... Then, a race that was incredible, culminating with a winners' circle celebration for the ages. One made up of players that have beaten more odds than many of us could ever count. Great work by NBC producers!

As Andy just now said on HRTV's wrap up, "you can't walk away from that Classic, from that race, without feeling the excitement."

He's right!!

Agree :ThmbUp:

But now racing over till may.....5 months of nothing in public eye

wiffleball whizz
11-02-2013, 09:54 PM
Tom Hammond good people

big frank
11-02-2013, 09:58 PM
Larry Collmus did a great job on his calls today--- He actually put his neck out and called the winner of the classic... It was a nose ,,, how many times a day do we see horses win by at least a neck and the caller says it's to close to call....

nearco
11-02-2013, 09:58 PM
Were you guys watching the same telecast? It was awful.
It was full of fluff. They could have spent more time on the actual horses. They could have shown replays of some of the earlier races.

The camera work and high definition was fantastic though. Glad to see the camera angles that are used around the world are finally becoming standard in the US for top races. Nothing more boring than a pan view camera the whole way round.

wiffleball whizz
11-02-2013, 10:00 PM
Larry Collmus did a great job on his calls today--- He actually put his neck out and called the winner of the classic... It was a nose ,,, how many times a day do we see horses win by at least a neck and the caller says it's to close to call....

Wonder where Larry called from......prob was on a angle.....looked like a clear :6: ball on the wire

Shelby
11-02-2013, 10:03 PM
I agree. Great job by NBC.

I'm just sad that it's over. It's like the day after Christmas. :( Counting the days until Kentucky Derby.

Speed Figure
11-02-2013, 10:04 PM
The BC just works best in so cal! awesome weather, no off tracks, no soft turf! Santa Anita puts on the GREAT SHOW!!

Grits
11-02-2013, 10:05 PM
Nearco, I'm sorry but networks don't show race replays in PRIME TIME. The goal is to present a program that will keep the interest of many viewers. They did so. Prime time is about including that which the multitudes will find entertaining, not just a "niche". ;)

Lasix67
11-02-2013, 10:06 PM
I yhought it was an outstanding broadcast considering by HRTV, NBSsports, and NBC. Enjoyed the races, however I didn't watch the filler stuff.

soupman2
11-02-2013, 10:08 PM
Were you guys watching the same telecast? It was awful.
It was full of fluff. They could have spent more time on the actual horses. They could have shown replays of some of the earlier races.

The camera work and high definition was fantastic though. Glad to see the camera angles that are used around the world are finally becoming standard in the US for top races. Nothing more boring than a pan view camera the whole way round.

I agree that it was all fluff....for horse players. But that telecast wasn't really for us. It was for those people that really don't go to the track. I thought they did a fine job.

Bob

PhantomOnTour
11-02-2013, 10:12 PM
Love the 'ridealong' camera mounted on a jeep that circles with the runners.
Provides a very nice angle and gives a good up close in race look at the field.

rastajenk
11-02-2013, 11:13 PM
Agree here. The director made some especially nice cuts in sync with Collmus' call. Some good looks at the right times. It wasn't a handicappers continuous pan shot, it was some new looks for the casual fan. Overall, a good job by most involved.

gillenr
11-03-2013, 12:00 AM
Only watched the Classic 0n NBC - who stole Collmus's mike down the stretch?
No HD on HRTV, but no showbiz BS either.

cj's dad
11-03-2013, 12:04 AM

Baltimore boy- cj's friend, mine also - what else to expect