PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Breeders Cup Post Mortem.

Stillriledup
11-02-2013, 09:00 PM
May my money rest in peace. :D

(as it usually does).

Which horses "flopped" for no reason other than the "Detention barn" Maybe we can get a list of horses who now look bad on paper, but will come back when the security isnt so strict.

Who were the most impressive horses and who were the most disappointing.

Fire away.

cutchemist42
11-02-2013, 09:05 PM
Justin Philip in the sprint for disappointment for me. Saw no sign of life from him.

shouldacoulda
11-02-2013, 09:06 PM
After intensely handicapping these 2 days I feel like my brain has been through a blender. Did okay in the contest but lost money in reality. Played the 5th race at Mtn first after the BC and the jockey fell off out of the gate. It's a sign to stop playing. Tomorrow's another day.

TheEdge07
11-02-2013, 09:09 PM
Beholder most impressive

Smith and Stevens getting better with age

Wise Dan all racehorse

Game On Dude finally faced some real runners

Euros dominated turf

Enjoy retirment Royal Delta,Mizdirection,Verrazano

Irish Boy
11-02-2013, 09:11 PM
Great BC Classic, and unlike some years, I feel like we came out of it with some real closure. Will Take Charge has to be 3yo champ (and he'll be a lot of fun to watch next year if he comes back), and you figure Wise Dan becomes two time horse of the year now.

A stinker of a weekend for me parimutuelly but the course played fair on Saturday and you can't ask for much better than those last few races.

CincyHorseplayer
11-02-2013, 09:13 PM
My brain is in the blender too.With family in town and 2 big days of racing I was about as unprepared as it gets for either but have enjoyed both while feeling guilty for splitting my heart up!That said I went 4 for 9(Both Juvenile Turf's,Juvenile,and Classic).Not attempting to be a jerk gloater.I missed you guys and gals this weekend but I handicapped by the seat of my pants and barely had time to bet much less post an analysis!Hope you all had fun and made money.I thought the coverage was great except for they need me on there to talk more about handicapping.I think I could blow up the event as long as I didn't curse,HAHA!Anyway off to my Aunt's birthday party.Hope they're not dead yet because I'm fired the hell up!:)

wiffleball whizz
11-02-2013, 09:16 PM
I'm just wondering if I'm signing papers at laurel or pimlico.....already told my father don't answer the phone tmrw :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: couldn't bare blowing a horse score

olddaddy
11-02-2013, 09:20 PM
A Great BC for euros, thats forsure. Hope more come next year and maybe declaration of war will bring in more for the dirt.

Stillriledup
11-02-2013, 09:28 PM
Beholder most impressive

Wise Dan all racehorse

Euros dominated turf

I really needed that grey horse to hold on, he got the jump on daniel but was just no late match, juicy 18-1 would have made the pick anything much juicier.

raybo
11-02-2013, 09:46 PM
Beholder most impressive

Wise Dan all racehorse

Euros dominated turf

Yup!!

raybo
11-02-2013, 09:54 PM
My brain is in the blender too.With family in town and 2 big days of racing I was about as unprepared as it gets for either but have enjoyed both while feeling guilty for splitting my heart up!That said I went 4 for 9(Both Juvenile Turf's,Juvenile,and Classic).Not attempting to be a jerk gloater.I missed you guys and gals this weekend but I handicapped by the seat of my pants and barely had time to bet much less post an analysis!Hope you all had fun and made money.I thought the coverage was great except for they need me on there to talk more about handicapping.I think I could blow up the event as long as I didn't curse,HAHA!Anyway off to my Aunt's birthday party.Hope they're not dead yet because I'm fired the hell up!:)

Went 1 for 10, with the cold exacta and tri, and the super, in the 10th on Day 1, almost cold super too except the 4th finisher ranked 5th (did not even have the 2 favs ranked in the top 3 in that race), and 9 for 12 on Day 2, including the $66 winner in race 4. Ended up in the black "several" bucks for the 2 days with a couple of decent supers and that big winner.

nijinski
11-03-2013, 12:03 AM
London Bridge , the New York bred , races overseas , comes over to
test our dirt and wins the Marathon . His conditioner , Jo Hughes ,one of
the two female conditioners to win in this series .

Kathy Ritvo , what can I say but that I am thrilled for her ! So I threw some money elsewhere but still happy with the outcome .

Stillriledup
11-03-2013, 01:00 AM
What did we learn?

We learned that if you love a heavy favorite, you can get 4 dollars or more in most occasions and not 2.20 or 2.40.

Stillriledup
11-03-2013, 01:02 AM
Amazing training job by Dick Mandella to have Beholder in peak shape, she looked phenominal in the post parade, she was behaving perfectly and she hasnt always been a great student.

CincyHorseplayer
11-03-2013, 01:59 AM
Went 1 for 10, with the cold exacta and tri, and the super, in the 10th on Day 1, almost cold super too except the 4th finisher ranked 5th (did not even have the 2 favs ranked in the top 3 in that race), and 9 for 12 on Day 2, including the $66 winner in race 4. Ended up in the black "several" bucks for the 2 days with a couple of decent supers and that big winner.

You were definitely tops on my list to yack at bro.It literally was not feasible.Except for the races I was not on the internet for 3 days.We had a phone changeover and I freaking out,then get half the family rolling in.You know I'm getting obsessed with young horses,turf races,and Euro shippers.I'm sorry I couldn't share it.I've had the greatest time with my family the last few days but a hardcore German family on get togethers means beer til dawn!It's been fun and rough.I was literally piecing races together today,but the Juvenile,total top class pedigree on both sides and stamina enough,I bet against 2yo favorites even if they look great.You had a horse going synthetic to dirt with Mr Prospector over Northern Dancer families whose pedigree ranking were both 1's.I had a complete hardon for this horse.Unfortunately I literally got my homework done during the post parade or I would have told you brother.The Juvenile Turf's?I am so glad they instituted these races.They are a cash cow and most think they are Passovers.Proud to say I'm 4-3-1-0 last 2 years!I'm going to start a pedigree analysis of the 2yo prep winners on your site.I only started noticing this stuff bigtime this year and really since the Iriquois.Lot into it.In the Juvenile and Classic(near miss) you have the most winning pedigree cross there is=Mr Prospector/Northern Dancer.People think it's common knowledge like ice cream that's white tastes like vanilla but it's not.There are very few of these top crosses that end up fast.I count 6 in this 3yo crop and they have dominated most of the classics.Will almost won today and while I thought he was too slow he would be in the right position.Giant MF almost took the whole sack of beans!:D

CincyHorseplayer
11-03-2013, 01:10 AM
London Bridge , the New York bred , races overseas , comes over to
test our dirt and wins the Marathon . His conditioner , Jo Hughes ,one of
the two female conditioners to win in this series .

Kathy Ritvo , what can I say but that I am thrilled for her ! So I threw some money elsewhere but still happy with the outcome .

Hey this says everything about women who are pro "WOMAN".They bet elsewhere when it counts and wrongly!:lol:

Just messin with you Nij,you know I love ya.

CincyHorseplayer
11-03-2013, 01:17 AM
Amazing training job by Dick Mandella to have Beholder in peak shape, she looked phenominal in the post parade, she was behaving perfectly and she hasnt always been a great student.

If were talking physical appearance winner I'm talking Wise Dan.He looked totally awesome and I hate and choose those words judiciously.He looked like a painting of a horse.My soul absorbed everything out of his display today.I second with Will Take Charge.Giant man of a horse that literall is getting better.Wayne keeps talking about it and I chalked it up to old man gone batty!This horse just keeps coming.Man I hope they race him next year.

Stillriledup
11-03-2013, 01:18 AM
So, speed is unbeatable....until I walk to the front with Lulu...than, magically, speed stops.

:bang:

raybo
11-03-2013, 04:51 AM
You were definitely tops on my list to yack at bro.It literally was not feasible.Except for the races I was not on the internet for 3 days.We had a phone changeover and I freaking out,then get half the family rolling in.You know I'm getting obsessed with young horses,turf races,and Euro shippers.I'm sorry I couldn't share it.I've had the greatest time with my family the last few days but a hardcore German family on get togethers means beer til dawn!It's been fun and rough.I was literally piecing races together today,but the Juvenile,total top class pedigree on both sides and stamina enough,I bet against 2yo favorites even if they look great.You had a horse going synthetic to dirt with Mr Prospector over Northern Dancer families whose pedigree ranking were both 1's.I had a complete hardon for this horse.Unfortunately I literally got my homework done during the post parade or I would have told you brother.The Juvenile Turf's?I am so glad they instituted these races.They are a cash cow and most think they are Passovers.Proud to say I'm 4-3-1-0 last 2 years!I'm going to start a pedigree analysis of the 2yo prep winners on your site.I only started noticing this stuff bigtime this year and really since the Iriquois.Lot into it.In the Juvenile and Classic(near miss) you have the most winning pedigree cross there is=Mr Prospector/Northern Dancer.People think it's common knowledge like ice cream that's white tastes like vanilla but it's not.There are very few of these top crosses that end up fast.I count 6 in this 3yo crop and they have dominated most of the classics.Will almost won today and while I thought he was too slow he would be in the right position.Giant MF almost took the whole sack of beans!:D

No problem Rod. I can certainly understand your hectic schedule with family coming in. I noticed that WTC was 3rd ranked in HDW "dist ped" but decided to go with other methods. Wouldn't have had the winner anyway. That race was so wide open it was between half the field or more. I guessed the way the race would run and was still wrong because the early pace wasn't as fast as I thought it would be. Dang man, I had 5 win contenders and still missed the winner - LOL. But, that isn't necessarily anything new in big races is it? Everybody brings the best they got and sometimes it just doesn't work.

I passed most of the 2yo races, and Samara got hung up and didn't get her pedigree stuff ironed out in time to use it. Looking forward to you addressing the babies ped stuff!! Glad you had a profitable 2 days!!

greyblur
11-03-2013, 05:50 AM
Hi everyone.
First of all I must say that I lurked this forum for years and learned a lot from you all.

Saturday was great, even though I lost a bit of $. She's a Tiger DQ hurt as it killed a few of my picks. I thought the classic was a good one, the track was less speed favoring than last year and the best horses were right there at the end.
I had a lot of fun,the breeederscup.com feed was good also with the mig and Serling most of the races.

Robert Goren
11-03-2013, 07:00 AM
First time Lasix with a European horse is a powerful weapon in the handicapper's tool box. There were either 5 or 6 horses with it (I am too lazy to go back check for sure). 2 won paying $20 and $27.00. My only 2 winners in the BC races.

sammy the sage
11-03-2013, 07:05 AM
Do NOT play EARLY dirt races on ANY card til you see THE bias...

Fri. vs Sat. was like night and day...

of course in NY they change late card w/water...ie...at Belmont...so :lol:

raybo
11-03-2013, 07:37 AM
Do NOT play EARLY dirt races on ANY card til you see THE bias...

Fri. vs Sat. was like night and day...

of course in NY they change late card w/water...ie...at Belmont...so :lol:

That doesn't explain why late horses were all of a sudden running early, a fast surface doesn't normally cause that to happen, that is usually due to the trainer/jockey making a pre-race decision to go for it early, IMO.

JohnGalt1
11-03-2013, 08:33 AM
Friday I made 4 win bets with one winner in the first race.

I played the dollar tri 2 horses over 4 over 5 horses. Of course the fifth horse in the third slot was the 34-1 that finished second. A $950 payout I missed. That was the way I wanted to structure my ticket so I can live with it.

Saturday I made win bets in 10 races which surprised me since I pass so many races, even on big days.

Five won and in the 6th Groupie Doll beat my win bet Judy the Beauty so I had the exacta.

The two races I skipped were the second and 11th because I liked Flashback and Wise Dan.

I still lost money because the wrong Euro's bumped out of my 50 cent pick threes, and the other Baffert horse won the juvenal.

I'm satisfied with a great day of watching races and because the bets I made were the way I meant to make them.
While watching the early races Saturday I decided to handicap Hawthorne's races for Sunday.

Going from all Grade 1 races to 5k NW2 races is like eating at Morton's steak house one day then the next day eating at McDonald's. :)

NY BRED
11-03-2013, 11:43 AM

Fire away.[/QUOTE]

ManU918
11-03-2013, 11:49 AM
It's pretty simple for me... I got my ass handed to me... No other way to put it.

Saratoga_Mike
11-03-2013, 11:51 AM

I'm intrigued by your approach to win betting - it's very unique, or at least it seems that way to me. Was the 9 for 12 on win betting? If so, did you post the selections somewhere? I'd like to study your picks...too many BC threads to find everyone's selections. Thank you.

JustRalph
11-03-2013, 02:19 PM
It's pretty simple for me... I got my ass handed to me... No other way to put it.

Up a ton on day 1. Checking Craig's list for my ass on day two. I do it every year......if it weren't for that 96 dollar horse.......I would be in real deep

Onward and upward

raybo
11-03-2013, 03:02 PM

Fire away.

Most impressive to me? Wise Dan, Beholder, Goldencents, Chriselliam

Most disappointing to me? It wasn't Game On Dude that's for sure. He has never impressed me. Probably Little Mike, Paynter, Flat Out, Varrazano, Justin Phillip, Bobby's Kitten

raybo
11-03-2013, 03:06 PM
I'm intrigued by your approach to win betting - it's very unique, or at least it seems that way to me. Was the 9 for 12 on win betting? If so, did you post the selections somewhere? I'd like to study your picks...too many BC threads to find everyone's selections. Thank you.

Yes, and they were linked in the Selections forum in the "Ultimate Selectors Live" thread (page 5). Keep in mind I bet multiple contenders to win, not a single pick, so yes, my method is a bit different than most.

iceknight
11-03-2013, 03:20 PM
I was mighty impressed with Will Take Charge's performance as well Declaration of War. I had WTC 2nd in some online contest.

I was also MOST impressed with Mizdirection & Dank

I am very thrilled for the gritty MMM (especially after his issues in the Belmont 2 yrs back when I first started following the sport) and his trainer Kathy Ritvo, but then his price was not great so i didnt want to bet him.

Wise Dan - I expected him to win.

I am very saddened by JV's injury and pray for a good recovery for this very classy guy.

I lost *all* the money I bet on BC this weekend, except for cashing a Show bet (on a PS bet) on Alterite and getting the final time for the Classic close enough (cheap thrill in online contest). The euros definitely dominated most of the turf races.

I was least impressed with myself for working too much over the weekend and leading up to the weekend that I missed Beholder's race, forgot about the PA contest I signed up for and also missing the BC dirt mile

plainolebill
11-04-2013, 03:15 AM
Most impressive to me? Wise Dan, Beholder, Goldencents, Chriselliam

Most disappointing to me? It wasn't Game On Dude that's for sure. He has never impressed me. Probably Little Mike, Paynter, Flat Out, Varrazano, Justin Phillip, Bobby's Kitten

Justin Phillip was up against it from the rail - a really bad post in SA sprints. Maybe next start he'll be a price.

judd
11-04-2013, 05:49 AM
anybody have any big tickets (winning)

Valuist
11-04-2013, 01:56 PM
I thought I had time traveled back to 2012. Mizdirection, Beholder, Groupie Doll and Wise Dan all won again, and Mucho Macho Man almost won the 2012 Classic.

PoloUK6108
11-08-2013, 02:48 AM
Beholder most impressive

Wise Dan all racehorse

Euros dominated turf

Well said :ThmbUp:

PoloUK6108
11-08-2013, 03:03 AM
Put a blind win bet on Beholder (i liked her in the Oaks, ALOT) as i was leaving a dismal BC Friday at Churchill, and put her with Flat Out in a Distaff/Classic double. Checked the replay and to my delight she glided home, so I was anticipating the Classic all day Saturday.

Saturday, I got going real well betting Churchill/BC simultaneously. Wise Dan did not disappoint, and ultimately made my day..absolute textbook horse race, he's amazing. Period. 3rd time since Derby day he's been alone on top of my tri with huge bombs closing behind him (which i obliged with my $$). Flat Out didn't exactly cap my day off, but G.O.D. dropping way back and MMM edging out WTC for Gary's first Classic helped!!

open_question
11-08-2013, 03:56 AM
Most disappointing race: Artemis Agrotera and Untapable in the Juvy Fillies. Lasix or no lasix, their runs were pitiful.

Most impressive race: Secret Circle in the Sprint. After being off a year and a half, with one tune-up in an allowance optional claiming event at Santa Anita, he showed the rest of the field the form that won the Rebel, the Southwest, and the BC Juvy Sprint two years ago. Amazing.

classhandicapper
11-08-2013, 02:17 PM
I thought Beholder, Mizdirection, and Groupie Doll were the most impressive.

I have to throw Mizdirection in because she's one of those horses that always fires, keeps winning, and it's hard to tell what is really in the tank. Plus, she beat me for the second year in a row.