PDA

View Full Version : How will driver tactics change at the new Big M?

bigeastbeast
11-02-2013, 08:11 AM
When the track re-opens in 3 weeks,horses will be going into the wind in the first and last quarters.Plus,there is the unknown factor of what the wind currents will be once the old grandstand is demolished.

pandy
11-02-2013, 09:24 AM
The drivers may have to change their tactics. My guess is that as the winter winds hit the drivers will be moving early, making wide moves around the turn the way you would on a half mile track. If they wait for the stretch and there's a head wind they will be up against it.

RaceTrackDaddy
11-03-2013, 07:27 PM
Isn't the New Giant Stadium behind the old grandstand sitting mostly at the end of the oval (left if looking out from the new grandstand OR right if looking out the old grandstand).? If so, would that huge facility have an effect on the winds?

Guess we have to keep a keen eye out on those early qualifying races to get an indication of wind effects on the different quarters.

Just a Fan
11-03-2013, 08:02 PM
[QUOTE=RaceTrackDaddy]Isn't the New Giant Stadium behind the old grandstand sitting mostly at the end of the oval (left if looking out from the new grandstand OR right if looking out the old grandstand).?

Yes.

[QUOTE=RaceTrackDaddy]If so, would that huge facility have an effect on the winds?

Not sure how much the stadium impacts things. I don't know if they intend to knock down the old grandstand, or just leave it there, but I would think that if they knock out the old grandstand it might have a much larger effect than the football stadium.

LottaKash
11-03-2013, 09:27 PM
The drivers may have to change their tactics.

They will, the best drivers on the planet, "ever" are in the NY/PHILA circuit.....They will know just what to do....As time goes on, of course...

And, I will be watching them every step of the way....

It should be a hoot, at least for awhile, to see what comes of this radical change of things....:jump:

I am up for it, especially after nodding out 2x tonite trying to get into Dover Downs opening nite....yeesh....Seems nothing has changed there for me...

wiffleball whizz
11-03-2013, 10:29 PM
Man with the old grandstand and new grandstand that has the potential of causing a huge wind tunnel......not sure but the cross winds may be brutal

On a side note I hope the 2 ladies that worked in the owners boxes are brought over to the new grandstand....patty and Helen brought A+ service every night of the 200 times I've sat there

bigeastbeast
11-06-2013, 11:09 AM
The new grandstand will be open for simulcasting on Nov.18th.They figure it'll be a dry run for the opener on the 23rd.The old grandstand will see its final action Saturday night,the 16th.After I come back from the Rutgers game,I'll stop in.I was there on Sept.1,1976-what a zoo-,and I'll be there for the last night.