PDA

View Full Version : Cheating the system

lamboguy
11-02-2013, 06:30 AM
a good friend has a body scan every 6 months. i guess its like an MRI for the whole body. it cost about $2000 to do. the past scan he had about 6 weeks ago showed a tumor developing in his kidney. his doctor ordered a biopsy and it came up stage 2 cancer. he wound up having the kidney removed and is doing just fine now. most of the time this form of cancer is like having a death sentence, but his oncologist was very upbeat in thinking that he got it in time.before it spreads.

my friend has been getting this scan every 6 months for the past 10 years because his family has a history of developing cancer early.

the bad news about the scan is that insurance company's don't pay for it, and most people can't afford to put it in their budget's. its a luxury to do for most.

PaceAdvantage
11-02-2013, 12:43 PM
A part of me wonders if all these scans might have caused his tumor to develop. A full body MRI every 6 months is kind of extreme. I know the MRI is a low risk type of scan, compared to say a CT scan, which is off the charts in terms of harmful radiation, but still...

You don't sound sure whether it was an MRI or some other type of scan. I would be interested to know exactly what kind of scan he was getting.