PDA

View Full Version : Doped Horses on a Juiced Track - Breeders' Cup Lacks Integrity

Blenheim
11-02-2013, 03:25 AM
Sixty percent of horses running in the Breeders' Cup will be running on Furosemide. Horses injected with the drug "raced faster, earned more money, and were more likely to win or finish in the top 3 positions than horses that did not. Horses receiving furosemide had an estimated 6-furlong race time that ranged from 0.56 seconds to 1.09 seconds less than that for horses not receiving furosemide, a difference equivalent to 3 to 5.5 lengths" (Gross, Morley, Hincliff). Next year, the Breeders' Cup committee, in its infinite wisdom, will allow all horses to run on the drug.

Why move in the opposite direction - why allow more doping? What professional sport allows and encourages their top athletes to run on performance enhancing drugs? How can horse racing survive with such a distorted set of values, particularly in an environment where fans detest drug use by pro athletes. Where is the integrity? How can reasonable minds allow such madness?

To compound matters is the racing surface at Santa Anita Park. One would think with all the science, technology and world class equipment the racetrack surface managers would get it right - a level playing surface, a neutral track or as close to neutral as possible. A review of the racing surface statistics shows a 76% speed bias for the meet. From what I've read, racetrack management has supplemented the surface with differing types of sand in an effort to level the playing field, but jockeys are complaining that the kick back from the new "sand" stings and causes some horses to back out and run wide in an effort to avoid the discomfort from the kickback. Review of video replays confirms their statements.

Doped horses running on a juiced surface hurts the integrity of the sport. We need to get back to a level playing field with no drugs allowed.

shouldacoulda
11-02-2013, 09:55 AM
I don't know much about Furosemide or doping horses. What bothers me is why aren't the bettors privy to who is using it and who isn't? I don't agree with doping horses legally or not but to keep this information from to the betting public just stinks. It also explains some of the wild prices yesterday.

turninforhome10
11-02-2013, 10:01 AM
I don't know much about Furosemide or doping horses. What bothers me is why aren't the bettors privy to who is using it and who isn't? I don't agree with doping horses legally or not but to keep this information from to the betting public just stinks. It also explains some of the wild prices yesterday.
Furosemide is Lasix, it is on the form. Everyone knows who is using it. It is those pre-race meds that were given the day before that I don't like. See here http://www.gaming.ny.gov/pdf/09.26.13.JCGCVetRecords.pdf.
Having this for every horse would be the fair thing to do.
Would it not be nice to know ahead of time that Last Gunfighter is being treated for Osteoarthritis?

shouldacoulda
11-02-2013, 10:13 AM
Furosemide is Lasix, it is on the form. Everyone knows who is using it.

Learn something new everydY. Thanks and yes I agree.

davew
11-20-2013, 08:10 AM
What do you consider doping?

I watched an intersting clip on you-tube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psFUWWtp1ZE

Racing for their Lives: An In-Depth Look at Doping in the U.S. Horse....

Published on Nov 19, 2012
In this special edition of Americas Now, investigative correspondent Mike Kirsh opens the gates on the U.S. horse racing industry. He explores the staggering amount of illegal performance enhancing drugs being used to push these animals to their limits and the tragic results that occur from these truly inhumane practices.

pandy
11-20-2013, 09:09 AM
To compound matters is the racing surface at Santa Anita Park. One would think with all the science, technology and world class equipment the racetrack surface managers would get it right - a level playing surface, a neutral track or as close to neutral as possible. A review of the racing surface statistics shows a 76% speed bias for the meet. From what I've read, racetrack management has supplemented the surface with differing types of sand in an effort to level the playing field, but jockeys are complaining that the kick back from the new "sand" stings and causes some horses to back out and run wide in an effort to avoid the discomfort from the kickback. Review of video replays confirms their statements.

Doped horses running on a juiced surface hurts the integrity of the sport. We need to get back to a level playing field with no drugs allowed.

Just read your post for the first time. The kick back angle is interesting and could explain one of the reasons why the Santa Anita track was so speed favoring for the last few weeks of the meet, and the Friday B.C. card. It makes sense that speed will hold better if horses racing just behind other horses are getting stinging sand kicked into their eyes.

thaskalos
11-20-2013, 10:09 AM
What do you consider doping?

I watched an intersting clip on you-tube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psFUWWtp1ZE

Racing for their Lives: An In-Depth Look at Doping in the U.S. Horse....

Published on Nov 19, 2012
In this special edition of Americas Now, investigative correspondent Mike Kirsh opens the gates on the U.S. horse racing industry. He explores the staggering amount of illegal performance enhancing drugs being used to push these animals to their limits and the tragic results that occur from these truly inhumane practices.

How shameful it is to see a "respected" veterinarian like M. J. Martinelli react in such a manner when asked a rather simple question about the health of these beautiful animals.

Absolutely disgusting.

Rex Phinney
11-21-2013, 07:52 PM
I truly think there are 10% of trainers who are "clean"
There are also 10% who truly couldn't care less about the horses well being
The other 80% are neutral but playing all the tricks just to keep up

I really think that if the silent majority of trainers who would rather do it right would just speak up and get rid of the dirtiest of their peers, improving things wouldn't be that difficult.