PDA

View Full Version : Sports Illustrated Article re Jeff Lukas

VeryOldMan
10-30-2013, 12:05 PM
Excellent long-form piece about Jeff Lukas, Wayne's son who was badly injured by a horse back in 1993.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/longform/lukas/?sct=hp_t11_a2&eref=sihp

Ocala Mike
10-30-2013, 12:17 PM
He was a frequent visitor at the OBS ITW when he was down here at Padua. My wife, selling programs at the ITW at the time, struck up many conversations with him.

wisconsin
10-30-2013, 12:48 PM
Thanks for sharing this-sad yet heartwarming. Glad to hear he is in a happy place with his life.

Shelby
10-30-2013, 01:29 PM
Thanks, VOM for sharing this.

PaceAdvantage
10-30-2013, 01:33 PM
Yes thanks for sharing this...I haven't read it all...just skimmed for now...love the way they do these types of pieces on the web nowadays...

DeanT
10-30-2013, 01:35 PM
Great read. Thanks for posting.

Grits
10-30-2013, 02:54 PM
VOM, thank you so much for sharing the story.

There are so many blessings in this incredible journey of Jeff Lukas' life. David Burrage, former manager for Lukas Racing Stables is Jeff's greatest gift. He knew and recognized what many did not. .... Its that way sometime when our lives are abruptly changed by accident, or circumstance. Each beyond our control.

"During a September interview at his bank office, Burrage became emotional while talking about Jeff. People rushed ahead with their lives, and all of it was often just too hurried for Lukas. “In all of this,” Burrage said, “there has to be a place for Jeff. And this is that place.” :( (Bless this man.)

Dave Schwartz
10-30-2013, 03:42 PM
This is quite a story.

Thanks for posting it.

classhandicapper
10-30-2013, 04:19 PM
For years I've been wondering what happened to him and how he was doing. I have very mixed feelings. I want to come away from it feeling happy that he's happy with his new life, but part of me thinks that if you choose that life it's different than if you are forced into it. The whole thing hits home a little for me too because I'm aware of what can happen to people that have had brain injuries and surgeries. The balance and focus issues, trouble with crowds and too much visual stimulation etc.. are very common.

Exotic1
10-30-2013, 04:55 PM
VOM, thank you so much for sharing the story.

There are so many blessings in this incredible journey of Jeff Lukas' life. David Burrage, former manager for Lukas Racing Stables is Jeff's greatest gift. He knew and recognized what many did not. .... Its that way sometime when our lives are abruptly changed by accident, or circumstance. Each beyond our control.

"During a September interview at his bank office, Burrage became emotional while talking about Jeff. People rushed ahead with their lives, and all of it was often just too hurried for Lukas. “In all of this,” Burrage said, “there has to be a place for Jeff. And this is that place.” :( (Bless this man.)

Amen, Bless the man.

SandyW
10-30-2013, 05:19 PM
Thank you for posting and sharing this with all of us.

God bless Jeff and his family and all of the people in his life.

johnhannibalsmith
10-30-2013, 06:28 PM
"What happened to Jeff Lukas?" is one of those questions that seems to come up from time to time on a regular basis - probably around the time of the big races, I suppose. So, thanks for linking this. I've already sent it to a few people. Great piece.

nijinski
10-30-2013, 08:36 PM
Jeff was highly praised by his Dad in the 80's for the incredible training
of some of the stables finest fillys .

How about Open Mind , Life's Magic , Winning Colors , Safely Kept to name
a few . Always an integral part of the training operation and IMO amazing with the fillys .

Those of us who followed the sport before the accident with Tabasco Cat
took place will never forget how hard he worked and how much his Dad
shared this with the press .

Details of Jeff's life struggles after the injury surfaced from time to time but this article really goes deep. Thank You for sharing !

Valuist
10-31-2013, 10:48 AM
Great article.

How about that picture of Pletcher with Jeff and D. Wayne? Hardly recognize him.

usedtolovetvg
10-31-2013, 11:29 AM
Nice to read an article that goes deep and tells a real good story. In this day and age of twitter and superficial reporting, this is a throwback to the days of meaningful storytelling. A bittersweet story that tugged my heart.

Pigpen
10-31-2013, 11:56 AM
great article, thanks for posting the link.

BIG49010
10-31-2013, 12:30 PM
Having lived with a wife that had 4 stokes - 10 years ago, I know how drastic the changes are to your life. The article gives many details that you learn about overtime, but nobody really experiences unless you are on the front lines of one of these. I am sure this is an eye opener for many.

Grits
10-31-2013, 01:43 PM
Nice to read an article that goes deep and tells a real good story. In this day and age of twitter and superficial reporting, this is a throwback to the days of meaningful storytelling. A bittersweet story that tugged my heart.

Yes, it is, I believe very much what you are saying. There's no skill to social media, none whatsoever.