PDA

View Full Version : Jacksoville Jaguars to London ?

cj's dad
10-29-2013, 07:17 AM
There has been talk that the NFL wants to establish an NFL team in London. Jacksonville is most often mentioned. It really doesn;t matter which team it might be. Sundays game between SF and Jax started at 1 PM in London. In the US it was 5 PM EDT. When we set our clocks back this Sunday the time difference will be 5 hours from the UK to the eastern time zone.

If there were a franchise in London, the team could not play a Thursday, Sunday or Monday night game. To be featured on those nights, the games would have to start at 3:30 PM, hardly a night game there. Sunday games if played at 1 PM there would air at either 6-7-8-9 PM depending on the US time zone. And what about the 8 teams that would have to travel to the UK once a year? Could those teams be scheduled for a Thursday night game 4 days later? Furthermore, the London team would have to travel distances ranging from 5000 to 8000 miles 8 times a year and this does not include exhibition games.

On second thought, this London idea is so dumb the NFL will probably approve the move.

ManU918
10-29-2013, 08:03 AM
I don't know how a league like the NFL could put a team in London. Time and time again the NFL show's up with a team of lawyers in Philadelphia during federal court hearings to not allow states to legally bet on games in their league. They were successful in 2009 with Delaware (Who were not allowed single game wagering) and successful again this year with New Jersey. Moving a team to London would be similar to moving a team to Las Vegas... Something no professional team would do. It amazes me that they even have games in London...Considering that there are more betting shops in one borough in London then in the entire United States.

lamboguy
10-29-2013, 08:39 AM
I don't know how a league like the NFL could put a team in London. Time and time again the NFL show's up with a team of lawyers in Philadelphia during federal court hearings to not allow states to legally bet on games in their league. They were successful in 2009 with Delaware (Who were not allowed single game wagering) and successful again this year with New Jersey. Moving a team to London would be similar to moving a team to Las Vegas... Something no professional team would do. It amazes me that they even have games in London...Considering that there are more betting shops in one borough in London then in the entire United States.good points, i would love to know how big the NFL would be today if there was no such thing as betting on their games.

Valuist
10-29-2013, 08:49 AM
good points, i would love to know how big the NFL would be today if there was no such thing as betting on their games.

About as popular as baseball now. People would still watch their local teams, and that would be about it.

Quagmire
10-29-2013, 08:57 AM
The Jags have been rumored to be moving since they were sold a few years ago. They have a lease in Jacksonville until 2030 and it will cost them quite a bit to move before then. The novelty of having an NFL team in Jax has definitely worn off and I wouldn't be surprised if they moved before then. LA is more likely than London though for the reasons mentioned above.

Striker
10-29-2013, 02:26 PM
Jaguars are slated to play another game in London against Dallas next year. What I don't understand is if you are trying to showcase the NFL and draw a solid turnout to the game, then why on earth would you want this team playing there?

proximity
10-29-2013, 04:49 PM
On second thought, this London idea is so dumb the NFL will probably approve the move.

this.

having regular season games there is hokey enough without having a whole team there.

the 32 team league/16 game schedule they have now is about perfect and all this goofy commissioner has to do is stay out of the way.

RaceBookJoe
10-29-2013, 06:42 PM
I think this is Goodell's idea, I really cant stand him.

tucker6
10-29-2013, 09:04 PM
I would love to see the Jaguars move for no other reason than they are currently my TV market team, and I get to watch them 16 times a year. There's gotta be a law against having to watch that garbage 16 times a year.

cj
10-29-2013, 09:53 PM
Sunday games if played at 1 PM there would air at either 6-7-8-9 PM depending on the US time zone.

You have it backwards. A game played at 1 PM in London would be played at 8-7-6-5 AM in the US.

To have a Thursday/Sunday/Monday night game, it would have to played at midnight to air at 7pm ET.

I have much expertise in watching US sports in the middle of the night in Europe. Americans got the day after the Super Bowl off in NATO!

cj's dad
10-30-2013, 12:28 AM
Whatever! No matter how one cuts it, it wont work. Correct your old man via PM

.You have it backwards. A game played at 1 PM in London would be played at 8-7-6-5 AM in the US.

To have a Thursday/Sunday/Monday night game, it would have to played at midnight to air at 7pm ET.

I have much expertise in watching US sports in the middle of the night in Europe. Americans got the day after the Super Bowl off in NATO!

wiffleball whizz
10-30-2013, 12:36 AM
Whatever! No matter how one cuts it, it wont work. Correct your old man via PM

HAHAHAHAHAHA everybody is open game here to correction!!!

cj's dad
10-30-2013, 12:57 AM
Whiz- you working tomorrow night WS game 6

cj's dad
10-30-2013, 01:00 AM
You have it backwards. A game played at 1 PM in London would be played at 8-7-6-5 AM in the US.

Now I am correcting you. The time difference is 5 hours

cj
10-30-2013, 01:04 AM
Now I am correcting you. The time difference is 5 hours

Midnight to 7 is 5 hours since we are behind them. I only noticed the first time because I still screw it up all the time!

Stillriledup
10-30-2013, 02:02 AM
good points, i would love to know how big the NFL would be today if there was no such thing as betting on their games.

It would be bigger because the NFL feels that gambling is "hurting" their brand, that's why they're suing the state of NJ to block sports betting. Stadiums would be overflowing, super bowl commercials would be fetching 2 mil a pop if there was no betting at all and no way the fans can "interact" financially....because you see Sir Lambo, all people really care about, all the NFL's fans really care about is the financial successes of the participants. NFL fans party in the streets when their teams win because they get so much joy out of watching other people win money, that they just have to drink themselves into a stupor that Bob Kraft and Tom Brady can purchase another hot tub to smoke their victory cigars in. :rolleyes:

cj's dad
10-30-2013, 10:59 AM
Midnight to 7 is 5 hours since we are behind them. I only noticed the first time because I still screw it up all the time!

I give up. I can't believe I did this; me who watches the BPL every sat and sunday morning. Oh well, senility is kicking in.

tucker6
10-30-2013, 01:55 PM
Of course in a few weeks, we will only be 4 hours behind when the time changes.

wiffleball whizz
10-30-2013, 02:29 PM
Whiz- you working tomorrow night WS game 6

I'll be home by 6:30.....or 11:30 London time;)

Bigger game on then the WS.......Memphis cincy is the game of the night.....Memphis will crush them

cj
10-30-2013, 03:26 PM
Of course in a few weeks, we will only be 4 hours behind when the time changes.

Pretty sure they already changed time, and when we do, it will move to 6 hours, not 4. We are never closer than 5 behind.

cj
10-30-2013, 03:29 PM
One thing I've learned in this thread is that if sports times were listed in GMT, 90% of the people in the US would have no idea when to turn on the television!

tucker6
10-30-2013, 03:39 PM
Pretty sure they already changed time, and when we do, it will move to 6 hours, not 4. We are never closer than 5 behind.
We are currently only 4 hours from GMT. We move to 5 in a couple weeks.

cj
10-30-2013, 03:51 PM
We are currently only 4 hours from GMT. We move to 5 in a couple weeks.

Gotcha. See, I wouldn't know when to tune in either. We both had parts wrong. And I lived in Europe for five years. I was confusing it with the difference to my time in the Central Zone. Plus, I lived in Belgium, which was another hour ahead.

tucker6
10-30-2013, 04:21 PM
Gotcha. See, I wouldn't know when to tune in either. We both had parts wrong. And I lived in Europe for five years. I was confusing it with the difference to my time in the Central Zone. Plus, I lived in Belgium, which was another hour ahead.
I know what you mean. I've traveled extensively in Europe, and time zones are not as intuitive as one might think. As course from your time zone, your statement was correct. I forget that you are in OK sometimes.