PDA

View Full Version : the ultimate insult in racing

lamboguy
10-28-2013, 05:10 PM
i just got the biggest kick in the face that i have ever seen in racing ever at Western Fair.

i bet $40 win on the the winner in the 3rd race. my horse won, the track declared a "tote malfunction" and refunded me my winning ticket. that is a new one. if they ever pulled that in New York, they would have a first class riot on their hands.

horses4courses
10-28-2013, 05:26 PM
i just got the biggest kick in the face that i have ever seen in racing ever at Western Fair.

i bet $40 win on the the winner in the 3rd race. my horse won, the track declared a "tote malfunction" and refunded me my winning ticket. that is a new one. if they ever pulled that in New York, they would have a first class riot on their hands.

That's about as bad as it can get in this game.
Makes losing attractive :ThmbDown:

menifee
10-28-2013, 05:29 PM
$40 win at Western Fair on any horse probably crashed the system.

lamboguy
10-28-2013, 05:31 PM
$40 win at Western Fair on any horse probably crashed the system.they have $5000 win pools

menifee
10-28-2013, 05:35 PM
they have $5000 win pools

More like $1800-$3000.

lamboguy
10-28-2013, 05:37 PM
More like $1800-$3000.
take a good look at the 5th race there this afternoon

098poi
10-28-2013, 05:37 PM
$40 win at Western Fair on any horse probably crashed the system.

Good one.

menifee
10-28-2013, 05:44 PM
take a good look at the 5th race there this afternoon

$1873 in the win pool in race 5. I was just making a joke - I sympathize with you.

098poi
10-28-2013, 06:03 PM
Never saw this before

banacek
10-28-2013, 06:06 PM
I feel your pain..brings back a bad memory. 30+ years ago I had $120 spread on doubles on a 4-1 shot with almost everything in the 2nd race. After my horse crosses the wire in front, the announcer says there was a daily double tote malfunction...they paid everything else, just not the doubles. One of my keys in the 2nd wins at 5-1 ($40 double bet).

I, of course, only get my $120 back instead of likely 4 figures. I went to try to talk to whoever was in charge and they didn't care...I sure did, but they said their hands were tied. If they were literally tied I might have found another use for the rope. Only time that's ever happened to me and it couldn't have been when I had the loser?

lamboguy
10-28-2013, 06:25 PM
I feel your pain..brings back a bad memory. 30+ years ago I had $120 spread on doubles on a 4-1 shot with almost everything in the 2nd race. After my horse crosses the wire in front, the announcer says there was a daily double tote malfunction...they paid everything else, just not the doubles. One of my keys in the 2nd wins at 5-1 ($40 double bet).

I, of course, only get my $120 back instead of likely 4 figures. I went to try to talk to whoever was in charge and they didn't care...I sure did, but they said their hands were tied. If they were literally tied I might have found another use for the rope. Only time that's ever happened to me and it couldn't have been when I had the loser?that is even worse than what happened today

i once had a double going at a night time track and one of the poles that had the lights on got knocked down. i back wheeled the double and caught a $50 horse in the first race. before the second race they declared the race is going to be run for purse money only. my horse was 7-1 on the morning line and wound up winning and i just got a consolation double but at least i had no beef, i knew ahead of time.

Dave Schwartz
10-28-2013, 08:03 PM
I saw this happen at both SA and HOL in the 1980s. One time I was a big loser (for me) and took a huge shot in the 9th race. I lost.

As I am walking out the door WITH MY TICKETS (you just never can tell), I hear the announcement that the tote has malfunctioned and it will be a few minutes.

LOL - You should have seen the crowd just turn around. I mean like 20% of the people just immediately changed direction and headed back inside.

There were more stoopers in the clubhouse than I have ever seen before.

After about 20 minutes they announced that all tickets would be refunded. I got back about $175 and felt like I'd had a big winning day.

lamboguy
10-28-2013, 08:14 PM
you just made me feel good Dave, i never knew that there was a precedent for this.

years ago when Vegas was parimutuel, if you bet the daily double and no matter the result in the first race, and your horse in the second got scratched you got an automatic refund without a consolation double.

Stillriledup
10-28-2013, 09:48 PM

Wow, that's horrendous, they need to make good on the winners bets as well as refund all the losers. But, its racing, they're not ever in the business of "doing the right thing" and then they wonder "gee, where are all the customers"

If this happened to me i would hit the roof, i wonder if you can sue them for the money?

Sea Biscuit
10-28-2013, 09:54 PM
you just made me feel good Dave, i never knew that there was a precedent for this.

years ago when Vegas was parimutuel, if you bet the daily double and no matter the result in the first race, and your horse in the second got scratched you got an automatic refund without a consolation double.

Lambo these things happen now and then in hoss racing. The tote malfunction could easily have gone in your favor but this time it didn't.

This was either at Woodbine or Mohawk. I don't remember which.

I once bet a horse at 3-1 heavily who was leading at the 3/4 pole by a comfortable margin. Then suddenly the lights went out. I could still see that my horse crossed the finish line first.

They declared the race null and void and the moneys refunded.

ronsmac
10-30-2013, 12:16 PM
This happened at Charles Town in the early 90's when they first started simulcasting Hollywood. I was standing next to a teller when I hear an anouncement telling all the tellers that there was a tote malfunction on the hollywood race and all tickets will be refunded. Of course they didn't make this announcement over the public address system until 10 or so minutes later.

melman
10-30-2013, 12:40 PM
Lambo these things happen now and then in hoss racing. The tote malfunction could easily have gone in your favor but this time it didn't.

This was either at Woodbine or Mohawk. I don't remember which.

I once bet a horse at 3-1 heavily who was leading at the 3/4 pole by a comfortable margin. Then suddenly the lights went out. I could still see that my horse crossed the finish line first.

They declared the race null and void and the moneys refunded.
I remember that race at Woodbine biscuit. Felt bad for the people who had the winner but what can you do> It's not like it was planed that way. I feel bad for Lambo also but things happen. Remember there where a lot of people who "lost" and got there money back. Once long ago when I first started there was an 8 horse field at Liberty Bell. Right at the start there was a spill with 5 horses scarttered over the track and one hopelessly behind. My two where far in front and the one other horse who still was at least moving early got third. I got paid for the win, the exacta, and the tri. There where a lot of people saying that the stewards should have declared it a "non-contest" and refunded the pool.

lamboguy
10-30-2013, 01:11 PM
the main reason i posted this is to confirm to anyone that might not have know that the unexpected happens in racing all the time. some type of money management is the most important skill that you can bring to the table.

i'm not the least bit mad about what happened, and until i just read this thread, i had forgotten about it.