PDA

View Full Version : 1963 World Series.

Stillriledup
10-28-2013, 04:00 PM
50 years ago this month, the Dodgers beat the Yanks in the world series in a 4 game sweep. The Dodgers, led by Sandy Koufax, only gave up FOUR runs in the entire series. Four.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1963_World_Series

cj
10-28-2013, 04:02 PM
50 years ago this month, the Dodgers beat the Yanks in the world series in a 4 game sweep. The Dodgers, led by Sandy Koufax, only gave up FOUR runs in the entire series. Four.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1963_World_Series

Three years later, the Dodgers were swept by the O's! (I was -1 at the time)

Zydeco
10-28-2013, 04:52 PM
I'm a Dodger fan and was 8 when the O's swept them in the '66 world series. The next year, in the Topp's baseball card packs they had a 4 card set that was a card for each game. The one I remember most was "Moe mows'em down" with a pic of Moe Drabowsky. Threw every one of them away!!! :lol:

NJ Stinks
10-28-2013, 11:49 PM
I went to Game 1 of the 1963 World Series in New York with my Dad. Here's what I remember for those who were fans at the time:

First inning Frank Howard hit a line drive over Whitey Ford's head. The ball kept rising (like a tee shot) and landed out by the monuments in center field.

Johnny Roseboro's homer to right.

Willie Davis on first. Base hit to right towards the line. Roger Maris fields and throws a laser to third base. Only a guy like Davis could outrun that throw.

Bottom of the 8th Sandy Koufax strikes out a Yankee to tie the WS record for most strikeouts (14th K I think). Public address announcer tells the crowd about the record. While everybody is on their feet saluting Koufax, Sandy pitches and Tom Tresh hits a 2 run homer! Koufax breaks the k record in the 9th inning and the Dodgers win 5-2.

I could be wrong about some of the facts above. After all, it was 50 years ago. But you got to admit, dear old Dad took me to a great game.

Oh yea. Week day game time was around 1:00pm so the game was played in brilliant September sunshine. :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: