PDA

View Full Version : Buddha, we have seen it all

penguinfan
03-21-2004, 08:58 AM
I'm sure you knew what this thread is about before you even opened it. Our boy Billy Wilson had one more win than me last night. Rough part is I really did like that 6 horse and thought he had a shot on a sloppy track and if ANYONE else was on him I swear I would have bet him, but I just can't bring myself to bet on a horse ridden by a jockey who has 3 wins in his last 1000 rides, I wonder who showed him the way to the winners circle after the race, I am sure he needed a map and a compass to find it.

$90.00 winner for Billy Wilson.

Penguinfan

Buddha
03-21-2004, 10:17 AM
yea, I knew exactly what it was about :)

I too did like the horse a little, and had actually bet the horse before. They took billy off and put freddy hernandez on, and as sad as it is to say, i wish billy had stayed on :) had a decent race 8 days ago, and then finally won again last night. I guess billy is about done for the year now :)

Also, I think $90 is a little underlaid on Billy . Should have been near $120+

TDown Time Travele
03-24-2008, 02:21 PM
Whew...I just searched for his name, and found so many negative posts, I have to respond. I guess none of you are old enough to remember very much of his career that spans almost five decades. He had more ability in his little finger than most riders WISH they had.

A few bad spills, and battles with weight when he was younger -- I watched him ride at the beginning of his career, and it was more-than-exciting to see him carry a horse across the finish line. Bet on him today? You bet I would...he doesn't give up, despite not having the best horse in the race.

Figman
03-24-2008, 04:36 PM
Billy M Wilson
"I wasn't going to bring her back this year," said Vuyosevich, who started Can't You See seven times as an eight-year-old through August 31. "I was going to make a show horse out of her. I was going to breed her [and] show her until she was seven months in foal because she jumps beautifully. We brought Billy [Wilson] back on her to get [him] fit, and I figured if we get lucky, we get lucky."

The 50-year-old Wilson suffered a stroke in August 2005 during a morning gallop at Louisiana Downs. A good portion of Wilson's physical therapy was galloping Can't You See every day since March. Wilson is now about 90% recovered.

toetoe
03-24-2008, 05:12 PM
TDown, come on, man. I considered Lillian Gish a hot dish in her day. Would I get down on her now ? You bet I would ... oops, I mean NO ! EEW ! :eek:

TDown Time Travele
03-24-2008, 07:24 PM
Billy M Wilson
"The 50-year-old Wilson suffered a stroke in August 2005 during a morning gallop at Louisiana Downs. A good portion of Wilson's physical therapy was galloping Can't You See every day since March. Wilson is now about 90% recovered.

FIFTY? I think not. He's beeing riding since before 1960, so that would have made him 10 when he started...must be a different Billy Wilson who had the stroke. I really think I would have heard about it.

And to Toeman who said...TDown, come on, man. I considered Lillian Gish a hot dish in her day. Would I get down on her now ? You bet I would ... oops, I mean NO ! EEW !

So -- if Marilyn Monroe were around today, you'd pass her up for Britney Spears? Older and classier is always better.

Hate to argue with you guys, but it's in my blood.

toetoe
03-24-2008, 07:39 PM
As a dedicated pinhead basher, I still must object to the analogy between a rider that can stay aboard a horse and Miss Spears.

I guess we agree that if Billy Wilson "were around" today, he'd be bettable. :)

TDown Time Travele
03-25-2008, 07:52 AM
As a dedicated pinhead basher, I still must object to the analogy between a rider that can stay aboard a horse and Miss Spears.

I guess we agree that if Billy Wilson "were around" today, he'd be bettable. :)

Okay, my last thought on this matter -- I'm a dedicated pinhead defender, only because I've seen and heard thousands of people stand on the fence bellowing at riders who couldn't force a horse to win, all to win a $2 bet. Most of them are riding because it's their passion and they need to make a living. I can't think of many other professions that are as open to constant ridicule and criticism -- with little protection from livid fans.

Billy Wilson may not be your idea of the ideal rider (today), but he still gives it his all, and has to get some credit for doing so.

toetoe
03-27-2008, 12:20 PM
Agreed, all credit is due. Just not necessarily financial backing. :)

mountainman
03-27-2008, 03:04 PM
Horrible mounts account largely for Wilson's low percentage. He sends well and, except for an inability to whip, doesn't look all that bad on a horse. He's also brave out there and rarely checks. I'll take Billy anyday over a jock like Bennie Marcial who rides in constant fear. I do wonder how Wilson sees where he is going. He looks straight at the ground during a race.

toetoe
03-27-2008, 03:19 PM
Bennie is one of the hardscrabble reinsmen I highlight in my forthcoming worstseller, entitled:

'They Ride in Fear:
Noble Pinheads in a Giant's Cold World.'