PDA

View Full Version : What the police say vs what the private camera says

iceknight
10-28-2013, 02:54 AM
Dallas area police (in reality the city/state is irrelevant) officers responded to a call and then shot a guy, then file a report saying he approached them with a knife, arms raised etc.

Neighbor's surveillance video pointed at street says something else.

http://www.cnn.com/video/?/video/us/2013/10/24/erin-dnt-lah-dallas-police-fired-in-shooting-mentally-ill-man.cnn&hpt=hp_t2&from_homepage=yes

Makes you wonder how often police officers report the truth in their encounters, does nt it?

thaskalos
10-28-2013, 03:56 AM
Dallas area police (in reality the city/state is irrelevant) officers responded to a call and then shot a guy, then file a report saying he approached them with a knife, arms raised etc.

http://www.cnn.com/video/?/video/us/2013/10/24/erin-dnt-lah-dallas-police-fired-in-shooting-mentally-ill-man.cnn&hpt=hp_t2&from_homepage=yes

Makes you wonder how often police officers report the truth in their encounters, does nt it?

I would believe a politician before I believe a cop.

JustRalph
10-28-2013, 04:51 AM

that's a little much ...............

There are good cops and bad cops. Just like every other vocation.

Let's be glad these two won't be working the street anymore.

They are going to prison.

Lots of coverage about this here in Dallas.

Greyfox
10-28-2013, 07:15 AM

Wow!
You're sure stereotyping a lot of people with a negative brush with that statement.
The vast majority of police are basically honest and doing dangerous jobs.
I'm thankful for there service in our community.

Robert Fischer
10-28-2013, 08:43 AM

I don't like grouping all police together, and bashing all police, because of a specific incident (I haven't watched the video or spent time outside of this response investigating this specific issue, I am answering what appears to be the spirit of the post, rather than my opinion of this specific story).

However, humans in general do this kind of stuff, and abuse power all the time.

Police are on the same level as the general public on average, and wield more power, giving them more opportunities to abuse power than the average citizen.

ManU918
10-28-2013, 09:15 AM
I think the biggest crime in this whole situation is that the district judge said he did not see enough to charge the shooting police officer with aggravated assault. If that's not aggravated assault then I don't know what is.

ManU918
10-28-2013, 09:17 AM

There are good cops and bad cops. Just like every other vocation.

Let's be glad these two won't be working the street anymore.

They are going to prison.

Lots of coverage about this here in Dallas.

I don't think its fair to say "just like every other vocation there are good cops and bad cops". They are cops, they should all be good. But that's very far from the truth.

Only one cop got fired.... And you can see my other post regarding the other cop... The district judge said he did not see enough to charge the cop who did the shooting with aggravated assault. It's going to go to a higher court but who knows what will happen.

johnhannibalsmith
10-28-2013, 10:42 AM

Maybe, and this incident is at the extreme end of the spectrum.

But, I'd be a little surprised if you came and told us honestly that Thask is really that far off base when it comes to the more ordinary things - the notion that the "ends justify the means" when it comes to getting the job done and the perception that justice has been served as effectively as possible. I won't rip on cops the way some will because I know it's a fairly thankless job, but I actually would almost have to say that in the big picture, I only disagree with Thask a little bit if you remove the statement from this particular context.

HUSKER55
10-28-2013, 11:15 AM
evidently thask does not know very many politicians :D

iceknight
10-28-2013, 12:37 PM
There are good cops and bad cops. Just like every other vocation. Except they wield a LOT more power over every other citizen than in any other vocation.

The big question always is, DO good cops call out the bad cops? They don't in most occasions. In this case, there happened to be video evidence - not recorded by police dashcams - but one recorded by a street camera of a civilian citizen and then the truth comes out. A lot of police errors/intentional violations are swept under the rug of brotherhood. Police usually seem to have zero tolerance for any traffic offenses they catch and now everything is getting automated too, so they can "catch" any violation of law eventually through continuous monitoring. In such a scenario, if the police act within the law themselves, then it would be appreciated. We do not need "good" cops and bad cops. Good and bad are moral definitions anyway. We just need precise law enforcement officers. I will stop here as I am beginning to sound idealistic and that does not happen in real world :lol:

Just to add, we do have some "good cops" too, like the nypd (male) officer who bought shoes for a homeless guy or the florida (female) officer who bought groceries to a poor single mom who was caught shoplifting (1st time offense- officer did charge the woman with a misdemeanor than some other elevated charge)

response to thask: come one.. most politicians use cops for their protection and they would throw them under the bus when needed. I disagree with your off the cuff remark. and I present a youtube clip about policitians here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crCp1nA-G6M&feature=youtu.be&t=14s

thaskalos
10-28-2013, 01:52 PM
Except they wield a LOT more power over every other citizen than in any other vocation.

The big question always is, DO good cops call out the bad cops? They don't in most occasions. In this case, there happened to be video evidence - not recorded by police dashcams - but one recorded by a street camera of a civilian citizen and then the truth comes out. A lot of police errors/intentional violations are swept under the rug of brotherhood. Police usually seem to have zero tolerance for any traffic offenses they catch and now everything is getting automated too, so they can "catch" any violation of law eventually through continuous monitoring. In such a scenario, if the police act within the law themselves, then it would be appreciated. We do not need "good" cops and bad cops. Good and bad are moral definitions anyway. We just need precise law enforcement officers. I will stop here as I am beginning to sound idealistic and that does not happen in real world :lol:

Just to add, we do have some "good cops" too, like the nypd (male) officer who bought shoes for a homeless guy or the florida (female) officer who bought groceries to a poor single mom who was caught shoplifting (1st time offense- officer did charge the woman with a misdemeanor than some other elevated charge)

response to thask: come one.. most politicians use cops for their protection and they would throw them under the bus when needed. I disagree with your off the cuff remark. and I present a youtube clip about policitians here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crCp1nA-G6M&feature=youtu.be&t=14s

My "off-the-cuff remark" was made in jest. In reality...I distrust cops and politicians equally.

Here is what I really think:

Being a policeman cannot be considered just another vocation, where both good and bad guys are to be found...and I'll tell you why:

When a criminal shoots a police officer...then the shooting becomes a much bigger deal than if just your average guy got shot. The police department is out in force trying to find the shooter, because "one of their own" has gotten shot...and a message needs to be sent out.

What's the message?

The message is that you don't shoot cops...because then the entire structure of our concept of "Law and Order" breaks down. The cop is out there to "protect and serve"...and he cannot be made the target of shootings himself. Shooting a cop is the worst thing a criminal can do...and that's how it should be.

But what if the cop himself becomes the criminal...and he starts terrorizing the very citizens that he is supposed to "protect and serve"?

Well...then his "preferred status" must now be turned against him.

His uniform beckons the public's trust...and people run to him for help at times of dire need. His job puts him in a position where it is easier for him to cross over to the "dark side" if he so chooses...and he is already "armed and dangerous".

So...just as the entire police department is out in force to catch the cop-shooter because "you can't shoot a cop"...the police department should also be out in full-force to arrest these cops when they "go bad"...putting out the message that "we didn't hand you guns and shields so you can take your frustrations out on innocent people whom you are paid to protect and serve".

A few questions to ponder:

Do any of you think that this is the first wrongful shooting incident that this Dallas cop has ever been involved in?

Why was he still carrying a gun?

Do you suppose that there are other rogue cops like him out there?

Do we need thoughtful neighbors with video cameras before we can catch them all?

Just another vocation, my ass...

iceknight
10-28-2013, 02:26 PM
My "off-the-cuff remark" was made in jest.
A few questions to ponder:

Do any of you think that this is the first wrongful shooting incident that this Dallas cop has ever been involved in?

Why was he still carrying a gun?

Do you suppose that there are other rogue cops like him out there?

Do we need thoughtful neighbors with video cameras before we can catch them all?

Just another vocation, my ass... Good questions. I was more concerned with my typo of "come on" and hoping the mosty or someone didnt catch it :blush:

Greyfox
10-28-2013, 03:21 PM
Just to go on record, let me say that during a brief Police strike in Halifax, Nova Scotia in 1981, hooligans ran wild.
Storefront windows were smashed, looting took place, idiots spun wheelies with their cars in mainstreet, and several near riots occured.
It was an ugly scene.
God forbid that your city, wherever you live, has to undergo that anarchy.

iceknight
10-28-2013, 04:19 PM
Just to go on record, let me say that during a brief Police strike in Halifax, Nova Scotia in 1981, hooligans ran wild.
Storefront windows were smashed, looting took place, idiots spun wheelies with their cars in mainstreet, and several near riots occured.
It was an ugly scene.
God forbid that your city, wherever you live, has to undergo that anarchy. Civil disobedience by the police.. 'nuff said.

Greyfox
10-28-2013, 05:51 PM
Civil disobedience by the police.. 'nuff said.

B.S. It was thugs.

JustRalph
10-28-2013, 09:20 PM
I never said it was "just another vocation".

I said it was just like other vocations, there are good and bad. Just like other vocations

Christ Thask! you authored a nice little post. But it has nothing to do with my comment. It's a whole different screed. Nor does it relate to my point.

No matter how you twist it. We are talking about two different things.

Btw, thanks for recognizing cops should be held to a higher standard. It's true.

thaskalos
10-28-2013, 10:46 PM
I never said it was "just another vocation".

I said it was just like other vocations, there are good and bad. Just like other vocations

Christ Thask! you authored a nice little post. But it has nothing to do with my comment. It's a whole different screed. Nor does it relate to my point.

No matter how you twist it. We are talking about two different things.

Btw, thanks for recognizing cops should be held to a higher standard. It's true.

I owe you an apology, JR. I know that it seemed like it, but my "just another vocation, my ass..." remark was not directed at you. I know that your point was entirely different...and the gracious manner with which you handle yourself here does not deserve snide remarks of this sort in return.

It's just that I've heard that argument before...and I just can't agree with it.

JustRalph
10-28-2013, 10:54 PM
I owe you an apology, JR. I know that it seemed like it, but my "just another vocation, my ass..." remark was not directed at you. I know that your point was entirely different...and the gracious manner with which you handle yourself here does not deserve snide remarks of this sort in return.

It's just that I've heard that argument before...and I just can't agree with it.

Gracious? :lol:

No sweat....... :ThmbUp:

TJDave
10-28-2013, 11:08 PM

These bad apples don't realize their behavior is display? Cops are supposed to be smart enough to understand that most every bystander has a cell phone with video capability.

JustRalph
10-28-2013, 11:29 PM
These bad apples don't realize their behavior is display? Cops are supposed to be smart enough to understand that most every bystander has a cell phone with video capability.

If you do the right thing, you don't have to worry.........ever.

I had a wired digital recorder (audio only) that i wore. The mic was plainly visible on my uniform. Saved my butt a few times.

Camera cars were just coming into vogue when I left the business

tucker6
10-29-2013, 06:27 AM
cars were just coming into vogue when I left the business
Really!! How old are you again??? :lol: