PDA

View Full Version : "Old" Sartin Followers

Rpd
03-20-2004, 08:54 PM
Just curious, how many of PA's members have belonged to the Sartin group and/or bought his programs.

I was one, kept up until and including Thoromation and then designed my own software program. Personally, I think his "Energy" program was the best.

Loved his seminars and "Follow Up", especially when Dick was involved.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Tom
03-20-2004, 09:17 PM
Me

TRM
03-20-2004, 09:50 PM
Me Too!!

Started out with the Doc using Phase III, then Synergism. I think I've still got that old yellow manual laying around someplace. I also purchased Bradshaw's The Match-Up, which had this neat little algorithm, EMBL-SMBL, which was based off the Early / Late match-up. Any horse that had the same number generated on the EMBL-SMBL was usually a horse that would be in the money next out. I had contacted Jim B and asked if they were going to put that in any of the newer programs from the Doc and he said No! just use Total Energy. Sounded like a standard reply......Don't get me wrong....I liked Doc's stuff....it gave me a good start to this game.

acorn54
03-20-2004, 10:33 PM
had fun using howard's program/methodology, back when i had the timex-sinclair computer, i bought for 40 bucks.(1983)
never was able to turn a profit though.

Dick Schmidt
03-21-2004, 04:12 AM
Rpd,

Sartin. The name does ring a bell, I'm sure I've heard of him somewhere. They were some good times. Won a lot of money and more importantly made a lot of friends.

Though the Timex-Sinclair computer was a temperamental POS, back then if you understood pace, you didn't win money, you stole it. I remember when I thought a 15 race winning streak was normal and that horses with a full second advantage at the second call paid $12.

Dick

Who remembers the good old days.

Binder
03-21-2004, 09:32 AM
I am too

I started with PL4 then Synthesis then Val 1 , 2 and now Val 3
using Val3 for the last 2 weeks

If you don't know There is a Sartin Alum
group on yahoo I am a member. Its a nice place to talk about
all the programs and share Ideas

Binder

cryptic1
03-21-2004, 09:34 AM
I still have every copy of the follow-up, at least the last time
I cleaned my storage room. I miss getting the monthly, it
was always interesting to speculate on the next name to
disappear.

cryptic1

Rpd
03-21-2004, 10:45 AM
Dick,

I think you said it perfectly. Probably never will see days like those again but the friends I made still hold today.

Thanks,
Steve

Tom
03-21-2004, 11:15 AM
I started with Phase3, went to Energy, the Thoromation. Along the way, KGen, ContenderScan, and Deceleration.
KGen was my favorite for getting contenders that I would not pick by eye. Then I went with TPR and Handicapping Magic.
Once I got MPH, I stopped following the Sartin evolution becasue, plainly, MPH was THAT good. It eventually led me to HTR, whose father, Ken Massa also wrote MPH.
I attended the seminars at Saratoga and Baltimore for years. Maybe some of us have met in a previous life?
I remember Dick Schmidt with a brief case full of different programs on cassete tapes for the old Sharp Handhelds. I thought, gee, this is high tech stuff here!

Rpd
03-21-2004, 11:23 AM
Tom,

Maybe we ran into each other at Saratoga. I also went to NJ seminars.

I can remember Jim Bradshaw standing in the door with Tom B. behind him (should say towering over him) and everyone asking them who will win, lol.

I think Jim gave us every horse in the race but as he was leaving smiled and said don't forget Thunder Rumble. I think that one won, lol

I went from Sartin to my own program but I find my time is spent refining, tweaking, changing.

Tom
03-21-2004, 11:34 AM
I was there for the Thunder Rumble gift.

JimL
03-21-2004, 12:31 PM
Started with Contender Scan and still use Phase 3 procedures today. Say what you want about Doc Sartin, however I believe he is the only man that could possible keep Brohamer, Pizzolla, Bradshaw, Hambleton, Schmidt, together as long as he did. All of these men including Doc were helpful and giving of their time. JimL

analyzer
03-21-2004, 02:24 PM
Count me in this group also. I bet Dick can tell some stories about conversations and brain storming sessions that would really be interesting. I still have the old workbook type explainers in storage somewhere. Pretty neat to know how many were involved. I suppose we are dating ourselves and path as "Old". It was as we say, The Cats Ass of handicapping in those days.

witchdoctor
03-21-2004, 03:17 PM
I was a member too.

MarylandPaul@HSH
03-21-2004, 04:19 PM
I answered an ad in the DRF for a seminar in Monmouth. After that, I attended seminars in Albany, New Orleans, and Baltimore.

For any of you that were in Baltimore (the "fire alarm" seminar), I was the dummy that was given a race to work for the group, since I was local. Got handed an ugly claiming race on the turf, with no good turf runners. There was a single sprinter in the race who looked to have a completely unmolested lead, so I went with him. He must have opened up 15 lengths on the field, then stopped at the 2nd call like he was shot. Guess he figured he ran 6f, the race was over :)

I played full time for awhile using Energy, adjusting pacelines with my own handmade varients. Shared a table in the Laurel sports palace with Glenn Connely, who some of you may know. Did well....not well enough to keep going full time, but it was a good first shot, and an incredible learning experience.

Tom
03-21-2004, 05:15 PM
The Fire alarm seminar!
I set a world class record for going down stairs and not touching them. Iwas on floor 7. When I heard the alram, I looked out the window and saw everyone standing in the steet!
I SWEAR Dick Schmidt waved at me! Lol

Was that the same one where is was like 110 degrees in the room upstairs? William Scott talked and gave us a contender election method that I used for years.

David McKenzie
03-21-2004, 05:26 PM
If you've got one of these, you're old! :>)

THE FOLLOW UP

ADVANCED HANDICAPPING MANUAL FOR
SPECIAL ACCESS GROUP ONLY

FACTOR ANALYSIS
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

PART I

by

HOWARD G. SARTIN, Ph.D

in association with

PIRCO

PARIMUTUEL INFORMATION AND RESEARCH COMPANY

Rpd
03-21-2004, 05:32 PM
MarylandPaul,

Glenn seemed to see things and handicap with ease. I know it probably wasn't that way but that is how it appeared. :)

David,

I think you will find most of us as "old" :)

Tom
03-21-2004, 05:49 PM
I'm old. lol

Glenn Connely?
Nice guy, great teacher,got lots of good ideas from him.
He put a lot of the techniques I use with raw times and DRF SR+TV into motion.

Secretariat
03-21-2004, 07:20 PM
Was a follower of Doc from Follow Up 35 through about 71. Got a lot of good ideas from the PIRCO and from Doc. Enjoyed talking to Doc and Jim Bradshaw very much. Doc always answered my letters and tried to help me.

Not sure there's been anything like those two since. It'll take a new direction other than pace to get there I think.

Tom
03-21-2004, 07:37 PM
I have every issue of the FU and still refer to them from time to time. Doc, Dick, Tom B, Mikey P, and Glenn C helped me a lot.

Ace thePAce - the guy from Canada whose goal was to win 100% - he did some races using only runnig styles and raw times and was impressive. Did a whole workshop at Woodbine and hit a lot of races using raw times and RS.

cato
03-21-2004, 10:44 PM
Count me among the many who learned from Dr. Sartin and company. I joined the group just as Energy and KGEN were coming out. I still think that Energy may be the best program I've worked with (at least in the fog of the passage of time and nostalgia, it sometimes seems that way)

Doc had a few cards up his sleeve but I loved his approach, the talented group of handicappers/teachers, the seminars and the Follow Up (thanks Dick S).

I can still hear Doc claiming that downloading was bad and that staying up all night typing in pace lines was good (at least until he was able to develop a program that downloaded...)
;)

Cheers, Cato

Rpd
03-21-2004, 11:56 PM
Tom,

I can't remember his first name but his last name was Owens. He was indeed impressive. His technique was to get you to predict the 1st call around 90% then do the same for the 2nd and so on.

I want to say his first name was Gary but I don't think so. I still have his business card somewhere in my stacks of racing stuff

delayjf
03-22-2004, 11:34 AM
I got started with Doc in 92. I bought Synergetic Match Up II and Doc gave me Entophy. At that time most of the major players were gone except Bradshaw. Attended one seminar in Vegas where somebody dressed like a banana crashed the seminar raising hell. Met some great people there that I'm still friends with.

I wish I could have used Energy, I remember claims of 70% winners (two horse). What ever happened to that program??

Dick Schmidt
03-22-2004, 04:48 PM
It was indeed Gary Owens, same as a radio personality here in SoCal.

The "fire alarm" seminar is still fresh in my mind, as I arranged it. Got it all set up and then when we arrived, the hotel had been sold and no one was expecting us! What a complete disaster. It was about 100 degrees outside, 99% humidity and the meeting room wasn't much better.

As for the fire alarms that went off all night, when the first one went off I turned to Tom Brohamer, who I was rooming with, and we discussed if we should go downstairs. Finally found our shoes and began to stroll down the stairs. Suddenly met two firemen in full outfit charging up the stairs. After that, we set a new land speed record for going down stairs. Of course, after the third or fourth alarm we stopped trekking down, but it was not a restful night.

That must have been the worst seminar in history. Certainly the worst the PIRCO group ever did.

Dick

Who's still very sorry.

PSTfredk
03-22-2004, 05:08 PM
is he still around i never heard of him

cryptic1
03-22-2004, 07:31 PM
I remember meeting gary at a small seminar he held in
Toronto. He and his wife were very pleasant, however they
moved to California soon after. It was noted derogatively in the
follow up that they were sellling fire alarms in Calif. for what its
worth.

Tom, I've wondered if this was you. In the early 90's a
Sunday night at the Desmond bar after a day spent at
Saratoga with the Sartin group. Seated to my left was a
bearded Finger Lakes man, to my right 2 seats over the Doc.
Every one at the bar bought a round as we celebrated a
successful day at the track. It was one of those days that will
stay with me forever.

cryptic1

Tom
03-22-2004, 10:12 PM
The bearded man was not me, but my neighbor. I was at a table probably behind you. I remember winning big that day and drinking heavily that night <g>
After a soaking hot day at toga, that beer was mighty fine.
The Desmond was a great place for a seminar. That big theater room was just perfect for meetings.

raybo
03-22-2004, 10:59 PM
Gosh, I really feel bad, now. I am old too but I missed all the fun you guys are talking about. I, unfortunately, learned everything I know about racing and handicapping the hard way. I wish I'd had more faith in the opinions of others early on. I undoubtably would have saved myself many years of anguish.

Dave Schwartz
03-23-2004, 01:33 AM
Can't believe I missed this thread.

I remember the first time I came into contact with Sartin's stuff. I was recovering from a car accident and bought phase 3. Never used the program but wrote my own version. Decided to quit my job and play full time.

Okay, so it was tougher than I thought but I did quite well and made a really poor living at it. <G> I guess everything is relative.

Couldn't have done it without Sartin's stuff.

Dave

Lefty
03-23-2004, 10:33 PM
I started with Ultra Scan, then had Synergism 2, then I think, Energy. Then Energy became Thoromation.
I still have Validator 2 and I surely do miss the Follow Up.

thelyingthief
05-20-2004, 07:01 PM
does anyone have the "synthesis" program? either for sale or trade?

by the way, i have energy if anyone wants a copy.

paceace
05-21-2004, 12:03 PM
i was a sartin guy, they made me a winner.
paceace