PDA

View Full Version : A "non starter" in PA is a DQ in NY.

Stillriledup
10-25-2013, 09:37 PM
Race 8 at Penn National (oct 25) the 2 got a "head start" and if you bet her, you got refunded. In NY, if a horse gets a head start, she's DQd and placed last.

Robert Fischer
10-25-2013, 09:40 PM
good to know

thx

wiffleball whizz
10-25-2013, 09:55 PM
Race 8 at Penn National (oct 25) the 2 got a "head start" and if you bet her, you got refunded. In NY, if a horse gets a head start, she's DQd and placed last.

That's a disgrace in ny.......stone disgrace why bury the bettors

At least PA gives you money back so you can re-churn that 33 percent take

Stillriledup
10-26-2013, 12:19 AM
That's a disgrace in ny.......stone disgrace why bury the bettors

At least PA gives you money back so you can re-churn that 33 percent take

There was a graded turf race in NY last year (i think it was last year) and the horse broke thru the gate, lost about 10 lengths at the start, made an amazing move and hit the board, but got placed last...so the horse raced brilliant and the bettors who had her keyed in the tri, didnt get a refund.

I dont remember the race, it was a route on the turf, maybe the horse was magical something or other.

At any rate, i dont know which "rule" i agree with, im not a fan of refunding horses after the fact and the reason i dont like that the people who bet on the horse who "messed up" get their money back while everyone else gets stuck with bets on horses they may not have wanted either. What if the horse who gets refunded was a horse that a bettor specifically bet against?

SharpCat
10-26-2013, 02:03 AM
It was the 2012 Sheepshead Bay at Belmont Park. I tried to load the youtube video but it came up blank.

Robert Goren
10-26-2013, 08:44 AM
It was the 2012 Sheepshead Bay at Belmont Park. I tried to load the youtube video but it came up blank.

BHIpzn-aFWs

cj
10-26-2013, 11:43 AM
I would swear I remember Relaxed Gesture breaking through the gate early and winning and not be DQed in New York. Pretty sure another horse was scratched but paid purse money for finishing second, also in NY. Seems like it is a judgement call, not automatic.

cj
10-26-2013, 11:44 AM
www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20049

Cannon shell
10-26-2013, 09:10 PM
Turned my 7-1 shot into a 3-1 shot. I felt bad for the trainer /owner of the horse declared a nonstarter as the gate that opened a split second before the rest of them, his horses head was turned and didn't break that alertly and she finished in the exact position that she would have had the gate not opened. They wind up with no purse money despite a decent run and it isn't like you can take the effort back that the horse put in. Understand the rule though and cant disagree with it.

Stillriledup
10-26-2013, 09:24 PM
Turned my 7-1 shot into a 3-1 shot. I felt bad for the trainer /owner of the horse declared a nonstarter as the gate that opened a split second before the rest of them, his horses head was turned and didn't break that alertly and she finished in the exact position that she would have had the gate not opened. They wind up with no purse money despite a decent run and it isn't like you can take the effort back that the horse put in. Understand the rule though and cant disagree with it.

So the non starter gets zero purse money? I was thinking that she gets purse money but is just a non starter for betting. There was a horse in NY recently that was a "non starter" but they let him run and he won the race, and i'm guessing the owners got the purse, or else, why run?

Rise Over Run
10-26-2013, 09:28 PM
So the non starter gets zero purse money? I was thinking that she gets purse money but is just a non starter for betting. There was a horse in NY recently that was a "non starter" but they let him run and he won the race, and i'm guessing the owners got the purse, or else, why run?

"Running for purse only" does not equal " non starter". C'mon get your facts together.

Stillriledup
10-26-2013, 09:38 PM
"Running for purse only" does not equal " non starter". C'mon get your facts together.

Seems unfair to the owner in Pa to not get his share of the purse.

Cannon shell
10-26-2013, 09:38 PM
They ran because they didn't know the gate would malfunction beforehand. They didn't DQ/declare a non starter until after the race.

Cannon shell
10-26-2013, 09:39 PM
Seems unfair to the owner in Pa to not get his share of the purse.
Its a tough break but you cant pay money to a "non starter". Purse only horses still get purse money for obvious reasoning.

proximity
10-26-2013, 09:51 PM

i saw a really unfortunate one there at pen before where the horse broke slow (door opened late or starter still holding horse) and actually ended up hitting the board. unique situation for sure.

wiffleball whizz
10-26-2013, 11:24 PM
i saw a really unfortunate one there at pen before where the horse broke slow (door opened late or starter still holding horse) and actually ended up hitting the board. unique situation for sure.

Just another aspect of the game you have to fade to win

Imagine poker had the same intangibles as racing.........racing isn't designed for winning......

They got me today......I was so disgusted with racing I walked out of laurel with a full slate of harness action getting ready to fire

I couldn't handle getting taken down for my horse breaking ahead of people....could result in a broken tv

Imagine going to jail for smashing a tv from 1985 at Lrl?!?

Some_One
10-27-2013, 02:44 PM
Just happened here at Woodbine, the :8: in the 4th lunged, open the gate a split second before the field was released, the starter held the horse during that time. Finished 4th at 60-1 but the stewards declared the horse received an unfair start (not clear if it refered to the opening of the gate or being held by the starter) and declared a non-starter