PDA

View Full Version : Conan O'Brien called race at Santa Anita today

tzipi
10-25-2013, 04:40 PM
Anyone have the call?

moneyandland
10-25-2013, 04:41 PM
dont waste your time looking for it, it was a farce, total mockery of racing, I'm a Conan fan for his comedy this had none...

elhelmete
10-25-2013, 04:47 PM
dont waste your time looking for it, it was a farce, total mockery of racing, I'm a Conan fan for his comedy this had none...

This x100.

There would have been much more humor if he took a serious stab at it and peppered out some jokes sparingly.

Chuy Bravo could have done better.

tzipi
10-25-2013, 05:05 PM
Damn, was looking forward to it. Guessing from posts it wasn't too good. :D

Show Me the Wire
10-25-2013, 05:09 PM
Damn, was looking forward to it. Guessing from posts it wasn't too good. :D

Used a fake British accent, said all the horses looked the same, called a wrong horse into the stretch, etc. Was a disservice to anyone who wagered money on the race. :ThmbDown:

iceknight
10-25-2013, 05:21 PM
dont waste your time looking for it, it was a farce, total mockery of racing, I'm a Conan fan for his comedy this had none... Hmm.. he must be really trying to promote his brand. has it been falling down in ratings? Recently he also joined and posted on LinkedIn for the first time.. (as an influencer), in a sense, to mock that concept (http://www.linkedin.com/today/post/article/20131020183000-288872202-hello-linkedin?trk=prof-post) .... There were mixed reviews on that.

Robert Fischer
10-25-2013, 05:24 PM
Used a fake British accent, said all the horses looked the same, called a wrong horse into the stretch, etc. Was a disservice to anyone who wagered money on the race. :ThmbDown:

Now I want to hear it. :D

It was race 2.
Was actually somewhat funny if you like his brand of humor.

I don't know if you guys expected him to give a serious race call or what...

ManU918
10-25-2013, 05:33 PM
I think this is Conan at his best....

http://youtu.be/R2r-otOnGeU

PhantomOnTour
10-25-2013, 05:44 PM
There are few things more annoying than the guest racecaller.
But just a few.

precocity
10-25-2013, 05:46 PM
:lol: tell you grandma to cook some fajitas :lol:
he was funny to me at the end!

FantasticDan
10-25-2013, 05:50 PM
I haven't heard it yet, but when I saw it publicized on Bloodhorse earlier this week, I figured he'd use his favorite old-time carnival barker/ 1920s gangster accent :p

devilsbag
10-25-2013, 07:06 PM
Here was the behind the scenes prep:

Denman: "If the horse is far in front, say they'd have to sprout wings to catch him."
O'Brien: "What if the finish is close?"
Denman: "Wings are out. Fajitas are in."

Don't knock it. When he plays this on his show and his 19 viewers hear him praise the track and how beautiful it was and what a fun day he had, maybe one of them will actually stop and watch some racing coverage as they flip through to find college football.

tundral
10-25-2013, 08:02 PM
Conan stinks !!!

ManU918
10-25-2013, 08:09 PM
Don't knock it. When he plays this on his show and his 19 viewers hear him praise the track and how beautiful it was and what a fun day he had, maybe one of them will actually stop and watch some racing coverage as they flip through to find college football.

Conan was recently renewed for 3 more years so I'm sure TBS and the sponsors are happy with how many people are watching.

JustRalph
10-25-2013, 08:11 PM
Conan was recently renewed for 3 more years so I'm sure ratings wise he is doing fine.

you're kidding? .............<FP>FACEPALM</fp>

ManU918
10-25-2013, 08:15 PM
you're kidding? .............<FP>FACEPALM</fp>

From what I read he was renewed...

jballscalls
10-25-2013, 08:50 PM
From what I read he was renewed...

his ratings are terrible, but his internet presence is quite good. Look up his youtube channel, lots of the clips have millions of views.

letswastemoney
10-25-2013, 09:01 PM
I like Conan. His jokes seem more unique than Leno.

duncan04
10-25-2013, 09:54 PM

If that was the case why would anyone bet on the race knowing it had someone other than the track announcer? Please... :rolleyes:

Shelby
10-25-2013, 09:58 PM
It was terrible. I cringed in embarrassment for him. Very awkward.

tzipi
10-25-2013, 09:59 PM
I always don't need the race caller. I just watch the race. Decades ago with no TV and packed tracks, I can see not having a celebrity or non professional call the race. :D

Mineshaft
10-25-2013, 10:01 PM
that was brutal Santa Anita should be embarrassed

PoloUK6108
10-25-2013, 10:25 PM
He was there an hour before the races started, he defintely could've done a much better job w/ little preparation unless he's just a complete idiot. I've had college presentations that were harder to wing than that would be, he just sounded like he couldn't see what was going on and didn't even look at the program. Especially SA with their short fields, I thought it'd be better. The finish was kind of funny though, and his Denman impression was pretty good as far as sound. For a split second at the beginning of the race I thought he changed his mind and gave the mic back to Trevor.

098poi
10-25-2013, 10:35 PM
Here is the link. Look for "video". I agree it was very disrespectful to the jockeys and those that wagered but I was laughing after they cross the finish line. He kind of freaks out. Still making a mockery of racing is not too cool.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/81599/obrien-provides-unique-call-at-santa-anita?source=rss

nijinski
10-25-2013, 10:57 PM
I don't think it's that easy to call a race . Doubt I could do it with an hour
to prep .
I don't think it's that big a deal ,if he botched it ,the outcome is still the same .If you didn't have the winner , a guest caller didn't make you lose .

Besides , it's still exposure , like it or not .

FantasticDan
10-25-2013, 11:16 PM
I haven't heard it yet, but when I saw it publicized on Bloodhorse earlier this week, I figured he'd use his favorite old-time carnival barker/ 1920s gangster accent :p
And that's what he did use essentially :D

I'm a big Conan fan, so I enjoyed it. You don't ask a silly comedian to call a race and expect something other than silliness. :p

TravisVOX
10-25-2013, 11:20 PM
I'm going to go way out on a limb and say he didn't do it as an audition to potentially call the Breeders' Cup Classic. It was for laughs and now horse racing and the Breeders' Cup will get some airtime on his TV show. I'm willing to give-up Trevor for one race in exchange for that.

iceknight
10-25-2013, 11:27 PM
I like Conan. His jokes seem more unique than Leno. eh.. yeah if you compare him to Leno... but if it is exposure for racing, it is a good thing even if Conan didnt do a good job. If it is Conan doing this to increase his own ratings.. I'm not sure it helps.

v j stauffer
10-25-2013, 11:41 PM
If one person watches Conan then in turn becomes a player by watching the Breeders Cup it was worth it.

PhantomOnTour
10-25-2013, 11:50 PM
If one person watches Conan then in turn becomes a player by watching the Breeders Cup it was worth it.
Is this what racing has come to?

Stillriledup
10-26-2013, 12:05 AM

The mockery in racing is the drug cheats, the trainers who kill horses and have their high powered buddies sweep it all under the rug, the past posting, the bad disqualifications and the high takeouts among other things, but THIS...this was a great moment, it had a famous celebrity call a race and he did it brilliantly, he didnt make any "mockery" of racing, it was fun and he made the call exciting, it was awesome if you ask me, we need more celebs calling races, we need to brand "calling a race" as equivalent to throwing out the first pitch at an MLB game.

This was a great moment.

MNslappy
10-26-2013, 12:05 AM
"total mockery of racing"
"Santa Anita should be embarrassed"

Are people really THIS sensitive and THIS easily insulted? I swear in this day and age, people in this country go OUT OF THEIR WAY TO FIND THINGS THAT BOTHER THEM.

Geez, lighten up people, you'll live longer!

Stillriledup
10-26-2013, 12:09 AM
It was terrible. I cringed in embarrassment for him. Very awkward.

If you were looking for a polished racecall, you came to the wrong place. I cringe with embarrassment at all the pool manipulations, bad DQs, mysterious horse deaths being swept under the rug, and the cheating supertrainers who are ruining the game...THAT is what's embarrassing. THAT is what is awkward. And THAT is what is terrible.

You think its terrible that Conan might have introduced a different audience to horse racing?

Is it bad when horse racing gets a "free plug" from a celeb?

The call was fantastic, it was energetic, funny and brilliant. It was a great moment for horse racing.

tzipi
10-26-2013, 12:45 AM
Ended up watching it and thought it was a good job by Conan. It was just a little fun during a horse race. What's the harm.

v j stauffer
10-26-2013, 02:06 AM
Is this what racing has come to?

Competition for customers is more intense than ever. Racing must fight for every one no matter what it takes.

Midnight Cruiser
10-26-2013, 02:43 AM

Plenty of comedians out there champ. This guy is no comedian...

shouldacoulda
10-26-2013, 05:43 AM
It was horrible. As the horses were walking to the gate he kept saying "this is exciting". I had no idea it was him and thought to myself, where's the regular guy? It would be more exciting if you SHUT THE F*&@ UP. I played the race and had Knucklebuster. Halfway down the stretch he was still calling the wrong horse. Only said two names the whole race. I was watching the race on my iphone. Finally I said to the phone "it's knucklebuster you a$$hole". Most annoying win I ever had. Turned it off when he went crazy after the race. Calling a good race is an art. Why they get these people to stand in is beyond me. Most fail miserably. I'm sure I would too.

You think its terrible that Conan might have introduced a different audience to horse racing? Is it bad when horse racing gets a "free plug" from a celeb? The call was fantastic, it was energetic, funny and brilliant. It was a great moment for horse racing.

I don't think it will bring any long term players too the game but may drive some away. Maybe I'm just getting old and cranky too.

The guy from night court at Turfway actually got pretty good by the end of the meet.

holmmd
10-26-2013, 08:10 AM
I thought it was hilarious. Couldn't stop laughing. Guess I'm no purist.

duncan04
10-26-2013, 08:17 AM
"total mockery of racing"
"Santa Anita should be embarrassed"

Are people really THIS sensitive and THIS easily insulted? I swear in this day and age, people in this country go OUT OF THEIR WAY TO FIND THINGS THAT BOTHER THEM.

Geez, lighten up people, you'll live longer!

I'm surprised that no one said it was going to be the downfall of racing. Seems like everything else is sending racing that way. :rolleyes:

maclr11
10-26-2013, 08:58 AM
Here's the thing, there are millions of Conan fans, if he advertised on his show and twitter hey this is what im doing
People go to the track, check it out, or watch on tv and all of a sudden a few of them say hey this is really cool
The whole goal of things like this is to get people to take a look at the game in the door, and to sell them on a product. A day at Santa Anita isn't exactly a bad place to spend the day even if your just going for some sun and some drinks.
If they get people in the door and some of them will get hooked
So how many conan fans came to racing for the first time, and how many will come back?

tzipi
10-26-2013, 10:35 AM
I don't think it will bring any long term players too the game but may drive some away. Maybe I'm just getting old and cranky too.

:D . If people leave the game because a comedian called a race, this game is in trouble for one reason then.

precocity
10-26-2013, 11:09 AM
The mockery in racing is the drug cheats, the trainers who kill horses and have their high powered buddies sweep it all under the rug, the past posting, the bad disqualifications and the high takeouts among other things, but THIS...this was a great moment, it had a famous celebrity call a race and he did it brilliantly, he didnt make any "mockery" of racing, it was fun and he made the call exciting, it was awesome if you ask me, we need more celebs calling races, we need to brand "calling a race" as equivalent to throwing out the first pitch at an MLB game.

This was a great moment.
agreed!!!!!!!!

conan was just having a little fun? did he change the out come of the race?
lamo because he kept saying the name of the :1: and :5: :D

Robert Fischer
10-26-2013, 11:12 AM
Here's the thing, there are millions of Conan fans, if he advertised on his show and twitter hey this is what im doing
People go to the track, check it out, or watch on tv and all of a sudden a few of them say hey this is really cool
The whole goal of things like this is to get people to take a look at the game in the door, and to sell them on a product. A day at Santa Anita isn't exactly a bad place to spend the day even if your just going for some sun and some drinks.
If they get people in the door and some of them will get hooked
So how many conan fans came to racing for the first time, and how many will come back?

well said. :ThmbUp:

FantasticDan
10-26-2013, 11:14 AM
The whole goal of things like this is to get people to take a look at the game in the door, and to sell them on a product. A day at Santa Anita isn't exactly a bad place to spend the day even if your just going for some sun and some drinks.I'm sure next week his "day at Santa Anita" will be featured on his show, so that ain't nuthin. ;)

Robert Fischer
10-26-2013, 11:15 AM
I'm going to go way out on a limb and say he didn't do it as an audition to potentially call the Breeders' Cup Classic. It was for laughs ...
YES! :D

I don't know how much I can stress this, fellow PA members, but I am quite sure his slap-stick approach to the call was intentional! :lol::lol:

I'm sure next week his "day at Santa Anita" will be featured on his show, so that ain't nuthin. ;)
Lets hope so. Good publicity.

PS - If you are taking the racing purist perspective - I can respect that as well. :ThmbUp:

shouldacoulda
10-26-2013, 12:03 PM
:D . If people leave the game because a comedian called a race, this game is in trouble for one reason then.
Yes. Old and cranky patrons like me. :) Maybe if I liked Conan I would feel differently. Now if Sophia Vergara were to call the race....

Track Phantom
10-26-2013, 12:17 PM
Competition for customers is more intense than ever. Racing must fight for every one no matter what it takes.

Yawn....

If this is true, why not have female paddock hosts in their underwear. Have to find other ways....this is not it.

v j stauffer
10-26-2013, 12:41 PM
Yawn....

If this is true, why not have female paddock hosts in their underwear. Have to find other ways....this is not it.

Ok. We'll try to find something else. Any input you have will be much appreciated.

LottaKash
10-26-2013, 01:57 PM
I always don't need the race caller. I just watch the race. Decades ago with no TV and packed tracks, I can see not having a celebrity or non professional call the race. :D

That's how it is with me, as well....When I put the races on, I tune in to Internet Radio, or play a good Cd that is run thru a quality amp and speakers, and just "watch" the races...I know what I see, is all, and I don't need the illusion of excitement that the callers try to intimate, just the watching is good for me...Except of course, on the biggest race days of the year...

That is how I watch sports events as well....with my eyes :rolleyes: ....

tzipi
10-26-2013, 03:43 PM
Yawn....

I don't think racing was trying to do this to find a way to get new fans. Bobby Flay called a race at Saratoga couple years ago. Comedians/actors have called half innings of baseball games in the booths for years. Football, etc. No one complained there. I think it was just a fun thing to do for one race.

Stillriledup
10-26-2013, 03:54 PM
No one complains when a celeb who can't sing goes to Wrigley field and belts out some take me out to the ball game.

Whether or not Conan's appearance will "Create" new fans, well, that's certainly arguable, but i think the one thing we know is that 0 fans will quit the sport because of his bad racecall....so, its probably worth a shot to get some free pub, free pub never killed anyone.

Show Me the Wire
10-26-2013, 04:58 PM
I don't think racing was trying to do this to find a way to get new fans. Bobby Flay called a race at Saratoga couple years ago. Comedians/actors have called half innings of baseball games in the booths for years. Football, etc. No one complained there. I think it was just a fun thing to do for one race.

At least Flay tried as he knew people wagered on the race. As far as the other sporting events the majority of the fans in the stands don't have wagers and the guest announcers are helped by the regular announcers to give accurate information and don't give the wrong score until the last minute of the game.

The fault more than likely lies at the feet of Santa Anita. They probably did not emphasis the importance of calling the correct horse on or near the lead and people care about their wagers.

I did not expect Conan to call the race like a professional, and we expected some levity in the call. However to allow him to call the winner the wrong horse for the whole race was a farce. It was a farce because it gave the impression Conan had no respect for the sport and Santa Anita's lack of respect by not having someone whisper in Conan's ear the correct name of the horse.

And yes, usually these guest announcers in other sports seem to have at least some respect for the respective sport, which I did not get from Conan.

tzipi
10-26-2013, 05:12 PM
At least Flay tried as he knew people wagered on the race. As far as the other sporting events the majority of the fans in the stands don't have wagers and the guest announcers are helped by the regular announcers to give accurate information and don't give the wrong score until the last minute of the game.

The fault more than likely lies at the feet of Santa Anita. They probably did not emphasis the importance of calling the correct horse on or near the lead and people care about their wagers.

I did not expect Conan to call the race like a professional, and we expected some levity in the call. However to allow him to call the winner the wrong horse for the whole race was a farce. It was a farce because it gave the impression Conan had no respect for the sport and Santa Anita's lack of respect by not having someone whisper in Conan's ear the correct name of the horse.

And yes, usually these guest announcers in other sports seem to have at least some respect for the respective sport, which I did not get from Conan.

I just don't think Conan was out to "disrespect" the sport at all. I think he was just having fun. No way was he was out to ruin it or disrespect it.

" It was a farce because it gave the impression Conan had no respect for the sport and Santa Anita's lack of respect by not having someone whisper in Conan's ear the correct name of the horse".

Bobby Flay called the wrong horses too a bit at Saratoga. Also if you watch the call, someone did tell Conan the correct horse during the race. He even says in the call, "Someone just told me it's Knucklebuster."

Sorry, I just don't think this ruined racing or that people will walk away from the sport because of it. So many TV's at the track and on the infield, so even with the wrong call you know who your horses were. Just not sure how this ruined anyones "wagers". JMO

Show Me the Wire
10-26-2013, 05:17 PM
I just don't think Conan was out to "disrespect" the sport at all. I think he was just having fun. No way was he was out to ruin it or disrespect it.

But that is how it came off, like he didn't care. And I am sure he doesn't care about the sport.

" It was a farce because it gave the impression Conan had no respect for the sport and Santa Anita's lack of respect by not having someone whisper in Conan's ear the correct name of the horse".

Yes way too late. They could have told him the correct name on the backstretch. As I said it the fault lies with Santa Anita.

tzipi
10-26-2013, 05:28 PM
But that is how it came off, like he didn't care. And I am sure he doesn't care about the sport.

Yes way too late. They could have told him the correct name on the backstretch. As I said it the fault lies with Santa Anita.

I don't think he came off like that at all. Just a comedian doing what he does. Why hire a comedian to give a normal call? Just my opinion. Never crossed my mind he was out to disrespect the sport.

I just said the told him because you said no one whispered in his ear the right horse at all. Not sure how it was too late or how it ruined people's wagers. There are TV's all over the track, on the infield, and at OTB that people are watching. If it was 1920 or even 1970 or something, I might agree. Different opinions.

FantasticDan
11-08-2013, 08:36 PM
I'm sure next week his "day at Santa Anita" will be featured on his show, so that ain't nuthin. ;)
An here it is! Good stuff :D :ThmbUp:

http://teamcoco.com/video/73086/conan-calls-a-santa-anita-horse-race

PIC6SIX
11-11-2013, 02:16 AM
I was at SA for that race. Sometimes I used to say to myself that going to the track is like going to an "Insane Asylum" because of all the crazy things that we do as bettors and things that seem to happen on any given racing day Well SA was an "Insane Asylum for that race and if you were there and heard the race call you would swear there was a crazed man in the press box. It was NOT FUNNY and in no way is Connan O'Brien funny. It was a disaster and a disgrace to SA and any devoted racing fan.

Hosshead
11-11-2013, 04:13 AM
You can't expect his race calling to be any better than his talk show.

Does he have any respect for horse racing ? Of course not. But he's like that with everything.
Same thing on his talk show. Constantly interrupting his guests to try and be funny. Sometimes they can't finish a sentence without him butting in several times and attempting to make another lame joke.
He thinks everything is about him, and the guests are just "props" for his incredibly funny self. Everything with Conan is about "Self".

In contrast to Johnny Carson who believed his guests were the show and he was the straight man.

Tom
11-11-2013, 12:18 PM
It was a 7 horse field, but there were 8 horse's asses there for it!

FantasticDan
11-11-2013, 01:21 PM
Oh c'mon, I think "pancakes on the griddle" is a great starting call :ThmbUp: :D

Loved the look on Conan's face when he was told his call would be heard all over the world and not just the track :eek: :blush:

PoloUK6108
11-11-2013, 04:40 PM
Yawn....

Jill Byrne is struck on herself enough, she might do it! :rolleyes: