PDA

View Full Version : Obama loses the Saudi's

DJofSD
10-23-2013, 12:50 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2472680/Saudi-Arabia-severs-diplomatic-ties-US-response-conflict-Syria.html

Upset at President Barack Obama's policies on Iran and Syria, members of Saudi Arabia's ruling family are threatening a rift with the United States that could take the alliance between Washington and the kingdom to its lowest point in years.

Saudi Arabia's intelligence chief is vowing that the kingdom will make a 'major shift' in relations with the United States to protest perceived American inaction over Syria's civil war as well as recent U.S. overtures to Iran, a source close to Saudi policy said on Tuesday.

Prince Bandar bin Sultan told European diplomats that the United States had failed to act effectively against Syrian President Bashar al-Assad and the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, was growing closer to Tehran, and had failed to back Saudi support for Bahrain when it crushed an anti-government revolt in 2011, the source said.

Maybe another world apology tour is in order.

Take a bow, Barack.

Saratoga_Mike
10-23-2013, 12:53 PM
I love how the Saudis believe they should be able to dictate US foreign policy. How many 9/11 highjackers were Saudis?

FantasticDan
10-23-2013, 01:18 PM
Maybe another world apology tour is in order.
http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/23/politics/fact-check-apology-tour/

Back in December, Michael Cohen, a columnist for Foreign Policy's Election 2012 Channel, called the "apology tour" claim "a lie that has been reiterated so often that it has become conventional wisdom on the right.

Naturally. :bang:

Clocker
10-23-2013, 01:19 PM
I love how the Saudis believe they should be able to dictate US foreign policy. How many 9/11 highjackers were Saudis?

The "Kingdom" is sitting on a powder keg and those in power are running scared. And probably running out of time.They have to tolerate the Islamic militants in their midst or have them turn against the ruling family and overthrow the Kingdom. And they have to have US military protection to prevent hostile action by the even crazier countries in the region.

Without the US, Saddam's invasion of Kuwait would no doubt have eventually expanded into Saudi Arabia. The Saudis feel equally threatened by Iran and Syria. But they can't be seen as complete puppets of the west, or that will bring further action from the radical Islamists. The only thing they have going for them is oil, and the US is moving closer and closer to oil independence from the Middle East. They are between a rock and a hard place, and are trying to appear to be relevant.

DJofSD
10-23-2013, 01:22 PM

Obama did indeed mention past U.S. flaws in speeches. But in those addresses, Obama never uttered an apology for the United States.

His ego would never allow him to actually utter the words. He's like a little kid, he'll dance around the issue, make you think they'll eventually say the words but when it comes right down to it, they won't.

Tom
10-23-2013, 01:29 PM

Except that we all, uh, heard it!

"You're doing a hell of a job, there, BARRY!
(Style points?)

FantasticDan
10-23-2013, 01:49 PM
Except that we all, uh, heard it!Your last pair of dungarees went up in flames a loooong time ago :lol:

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2012/oct/17/mitt-romney/mitt-romney-says-barack-obama-began/

PaceAdvantage
10-23-2013, 04:57 PM
I love how the Saudis believe they should be able to dictate US foreign policy. How many 9/11 highjackers were Saudis?Sounds like something Thaskalos should be commenting on shortly, considering his views on Israel and how he thinks they look to dictate US policy under presidents other than Obama.

But then again, maybe I misinterpreted Thask's position. If so, I apologize in advance.

Tom
10-23-2013, 07:34 PM
Your last pair of dungarees went up in flames a loooong time ago :lol:

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2012/oct/17/mitt-romney/mitt-romney-says-barack-obama-began/

That may be, but I still heard it. It was an apology. By a scum bag who is not fit to live in this country.

Robert Goren
10-23-2013, 08:34 PM
That may be, but I still heard it. It was an apology. By a scum bag who is not fit to live in this country.Who died and made you the grand potentate who is fit to live this country?

Tom
10-23-2013, 08:38 PM
I just appointed myself.
And if is Grand Poobah.

JustRalph
10-23-2013, 10:04 PM
The Saudi's lost me when gas went over a buck a gallon

fast4522
10-24-2013, 04:54 PM
Obama loses the Saudi's - From first that started the thread.

The United States and the Saudi's have had close but complex relationship, many a President & Vice President have talked face to face with their King and various Royals throughout the years. So complex that both sides would not want to disclose much of what was talked about. For the King and his royal family a balance is maintained because of their people and religion. It seems strange to us that religion has any part of the equation but our leaders have to consider this in the secret part of the talks. The Saudi's are not in the stone age, the are coming along and building some big things from the moneys they get from the oil. Some of us remember the seventy's and the price per gallon and think completely negative without factoring in the rate of inflation over the years. Help with that may suggest to jog ones memory what was the cost of a gallon of milk in the seventy's, nothing goes down in price right ? You really don't think we took out Saddam Hussein just because of WMD's do you ? The Saudi's wanted that monster gone just as bad as both President's Bush did, that you can count on. We are on thin ice as far as stability in the region goes. You really don't think that you can bow to a few royals and they will believe everything your sorry incompetent mouth is saying do you ? The best possible outcome would be no new conflicts during the remainder of his term.

delayjf
10-24-2013, 08:43 PM
The Saudi's lost me when gas went over a buck a gallon

Wow, 1979 - I remember it well. It would be interesting to see how other countries economies would take a hit if the US ever did become oil independent.

Clocker
10-24-2013, 10:27 PM
I just appointed myself.
And if is Grand Poobah.

Did you clear this with the King of Off Topic? ;)

DJofSD
10-24-2013, 10:28 PM
He has my permission.

Robert Goren
10-25-2013, 01:57 AM
Wow, 1979 - I remember it well. It would be interesting to see how other countries economies would take a hit if the US ever did become oil independent. Again in 2000. How quickly we forget gas was below a buck a gallon just 15 years ago. And in the middle of an economic up swing to boot.

JustRalph
10-25-2013, 12:04 PM
http://charts.gasbuddy.com/ch.gaschart?Country=Canada&Crude=f&Period=132&Areas=USA%20Average,,&Unit=US%20$/G

just a chart............ on gas prices.........and another. I have no idea what Texas Super Unleaded is........? seems about right though......if my memory is working

http://www.randomuseless.info/gasprice/gasprice.png

Clocker
10-25-2013, 01:01 PM
Again in 2000. How quickly we forget gas was below a buck a gallon just 15 years ago.

And under two bucks when Obama took office.

DJofSD
10-25-2013, 01:03 PM
I'm lazy: what about diesel fuel?

PaceAdvantage
10-25-2013, 01:14 PM
And under two bucks when Obama took office.I think we can still blame Bush and his big oil cronies, can't we? I mean, they were to blame when Bush was actually in office. All the rage around here was how Bush was doing things to DELIBERATELY inflate the price of gas/oil so his rich OIL BUDDIES could become even RICHER....

OK...if you bought that theory back then, what's your theory NOW?

I know...still Bush...supposedly the dumbest prez ever, but at the same time, one of the most manipulative and cunning... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

DJofSD
10-25-2013, 01:32 PM
Oh, come now, Mike. We know that not everything is totally good or bad -- it's the yin and yang thing, ya know?

So, there's gotta to be at least one thing nice that can be said about Bush.

Here, I'll start: I like his beans.

PaceAdvantage
10-25-2013, 02:02 PM
He's much loved in Africa because of all the US aid he sent over there to combat the spread of HIV...

Which is kind of surprising since George W. Bush is indeed a rich old whitey Republican, who according to our left-leaning friends on here, means he is also a hard-core racist who should have been happy just to let as many people die of Aids in Africa as possible, since Africa is an overwhelmingly non-white continent...

Kind of strange, don't you think?

Clocker
10-25-2013, 02:10 PM
I know...still Bush...supposedly the dumbest prez ever, but at the same time, one of the most manipulative and cunning...

He's too cunning for me. I'm still trying to figure out how he could drive up the price of oil for his rich buddies by lifting the ban on off shore drilling, thus increasing the supply.

That evil Cheney had to have a hand in it somehow.

PaceAdvantage
10-25-2013, 02:17 PM
Right...I totally forgot about Cheney being the puppet master. When I say Bush, I really mean Cheney.

So I guess we're all in agreement that Cheney is the one in charge of the "Shadow Government" and probably has been the REAL President of the United States going on something like 20 years now? :lol:

Tom
10-25-2013, 02:43 PM
...still Bush...supposedly the dumbest prez ever, but at the same time, one of the most manipulative and cunning... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Don't forget, he built a hurricane machine and a "Black Folks "detector to guide it through the Gulf!

Clocker
10-25-2013, 03:26 PM
Don't forget, he built a hurricane machine and a "Black Folks "detector to guide it through the Gulf!

Cheney built that while he was still CEO of Halliburton. Then he got Bush to give him the VP slot on the ticket so that Halliburton could turn on the hurricane machine and Cheney could make sure Halliburton got rich on the clean up. That wasn't enough for the greedy bastages, so Cheney invaded Iraq so Halliburton could get even richer as the major supplier of troop support.