PDA

View Full Version : New $ONE MILLION$ Televised Handicapping Tournament

Turfday
03-19-2004, 09:33 PM
I just heard that the Orleans Hotel in Las Vegas will be putting on a $ONE MILLION$ handicapping tournament next January that will be televised. Santa Anita/Gulfstream/etc.

These are the only details that I know.

LOU M.
03-20-2004, 06:32 AM
What possible excitement could be generated by a camera panning across a room full of people poring over reams of paper or looking at computer screens then filling out a slip of paper and turning it in? The commentary ought to be interesting, trying to describe the thought process of a handicapper as he makes his selections. Could you imagine broadcasting your picks in front of the world before the race goes off so everyone knows what your doing?At least airing the poker tournaments you can see the strategy unfold without it affecting the game and determine what you would do as well as learn a few things.This must be from the same people who put on the Iron Chef competition.:D

cato
03-20-2004, 11:31 AM
And I'm sure the critics of the poker tournaments said

"What possible excitement could be generated by a camera panning across a room full of old fat white guys staring at their cards and making faces for what seems like an eternity before they decide to make a bet?"

Of course, its in the production and the commentary and the presentation. ANd you know what, for a chnace to win 1 Million$, I'd take a few minutes to explain my bet and let p[eople know what I was doing...although that would either have to be delayed or otherwise structured so tha other players did not know what I was doing--same problem they have now broadcasting everyone's cards to the world during a game.

Where do I sign up?

Cato:D

LOU M.
03-21-2004, 10:25 AM
First off, why the derrogatorycomment? Reread my post as to why broadcasting poker is popular.There is no problem. It does not affect the odds or outcome of the hand.As far as the handicapping tournament if you can't do it in real time where's the excitement? Maybe a two hour show about red boarding?Guys on this site wont give out a $2 horse could you imagine Beyer, Ragozin et al doing it with big money on the lineand then watching the odds plummet as everyone watching in the OTBs bet them! Then when they tank they have to get up and explain why their figures sucked!Great way to sell more forms and sheets,etc. there just isn't any upside.As much of a fan of horse racing as I am horse racing can only dream of the influx of young players that the poker rooms are experiencing. Racing is on life support and I doubt this is the answer.Hope I'm wrong.

cato
03-21-2004, 11:00 PM
LouM --I did not mean to make a negative comment. I just disagreed with your analysis; and I apologize if I said anything that was offensive--no offense was meant

I think it would be relatively easy to do something with handicapping that is similar to whay TV is doing with the poker thing, BUT it would involve betting several/many races over a 30-60 minute period (easily done) and, I think, it would require handicappers to discuss their picks and rationale behind the picks...so it might have to be a show that was on a small time delay. If someone said to me: "I'm going to revolutionize the game and possibly pay you a lot of money" then I think most players would say, "okay, I'll talk to you about my picks"

If people decided it had to be "live" (at least the first time it was shown) then you have the possibility that the public would bet down those horses.

But is that really a prolem? First, if you have a bunch of different handicappers on the show you are going to get several horses and to bet on them you are going to have to be watching the TV and be ready with a computer or a phone to immediately and blindly call in a bet because your favorite handicaper (who is now a star because of the show) said he is betting on horse X in the contest.

I would be surprised if anything like this would happen, but I think it could be done. If anyone wants to give me some money and TV time, I'll do it asap.

The next question is: would anyone watch it?

Take care, Cato

Brian Flewwelling
03-22-2004, 12:43 PM
What's this requirement of being live?

I watch the Poker and it's not live when i see itl

With good production values these shows could be delayed months. The main audience would have no idea of the outcome while the show is running even if the charts are available on Equibase. Looking those up might add to my interest.

i think it would be a great way to add 'fans' to the sport!

Brian

Macdiarmadillo
03-22-2004, 05:19 PM
It is incredible just how popular poker has become; it's no advertising BS that it's that show that's fueling it. People from 20-somethings up come out of the woodwork to tell you that they play poker, ask your favorite game, want to talk strategy, etc. Obviously, a lot of people played before, but I've never seen this as an active topic in public conversation. If they can do this with the horses, I'm for it. Hope they can do it "right", whatever that may be be.

If it's live (and there's still prohibitions against live racing in some places), I'll want that phone by my side so I have the chance to go against the tide if I want. Betfair types will love this if it's live.

Doubt it would be just well-known racing media figures mugging for the cameras but I would hope for the same mix of pros, amateurs and celebrities presented for poker.

LOU M.
03-22-2004, 09:08 PM
The success in broadcasting any competition is showing the competition.Even showing poker tournaments is showing the performers in the competition who are actually performing the act the competition is based on.Look at the NCAA tournament going on right now. Who cares who picked what team in what bracket (except the competing schools and the selection board). If you had all the "experts" in Vegas bracketing all the teams etc. for a million dollar prize and broadcast it a week after it was over who would care?Even if you could learn something ,next year would present different players , different schools,different matchups etc.(heard that before).People in handicapping tournaments aren't actually running in the race they're picking horse. Even the public is wrong 67% of the time,real exciting.I've been a fan of racing for 35 years and this is not the answer, hope I'm wrong.Pull the plug the patient is dead.

hurrikane
03-22-2004, 11:04 PM
anytime people are going to play for a million..people will watch.

Macdiarmadillo
03-23-2004, 12:29 AM
Could we guess The Orleans has cooked up some format to make the tourney more telegenic? "American Turf Idol"?:p

Turfday
03-23-2004, 02:56 AM
YEP, that's it, MAC !

Simon, Paula and Randy are going to be "critiquing" all the picks made by the handicappers! Can you just imagine ?

America is going to VOTE who made the savviest picks before each race is run.

JustRalph
03-23-2004, 05:05 AM
Originally posted by Turfday
YEP, that's it, MAC ! Simon, Paula and Randy are going to be "critiquing" all the picks made by the handicappers! Can you just imagine ? America is going to VOTE who made the savviest picks before each race is run.

Go Baby Go! in the key of "G" and we are going to have to dance to win!

andicap
03-23-2004, 08:10 AM
we're doing some checking on this and hope to have an answer by Friday.

Since I write about television, I'm very interested in this story.

hurrikane
03-23-2004, 11:34 AM
andi,
hope you hear different but from what I hear it is all just gossip.

I'll be at the Orleans tomorrow and if I hear different I'll post or email you...

maxwell
03-23-2004, 04:53 PM
How boring would the PGA be on the tube if they didn't surf shots every 15 seconds?

With all the action of multi-tracks and characters to surf, it would probably go over well.

JimG
03-25-2004, 03:40 PM
The latest skinny on this:

http://www.racing.saratoga.ny.us/posts/59560.html

JimG

Turfday
03-25-2004, 04:36 PM
And, Andy.......I hope this leads to a good story for you. Glad I was able to be the purveyor of such interesting news.