PDA

View Full Version : Los Al and Mountaineer, running in unison.

Stillriledup
10-20-2013, 09:53 PM
There are basically TWO tracks running (not counting Balmoral) and they are The Mountain and Los Al.

Los Al ran their 3rd race at the same exact time as Mountain ran their 7th. Now, i see both tracks are on top of each other again, both have 10 MTP listed.

:D Im not sure what to think anymore about this stuff.

Mineshaft
10-20-2013, 11:22 PM
There are basically TWO tracks running (not counting Balmoral) and they are The Mountain and Los Al.

Los Al ran their 3rd race at the same exact time as Mountain ran their 7th. Now, i see both tracks are on top of each other again, both have 10 MTP listed.

:D Im not sure what to think anymore about this stuff.

Overkill.......

Stillriledup
10-20-2013, 11:43 PM
Overkill.......

It can never be enough, we can never talk about this too much.

JustRalph
10-21-2013, 12:32 AM
It would be such an easy adjustment, they must think they are serving two different markets.

thaskalos
10-21-2013, 01:57 AM
It occurs to me that the only players who would be terribly bothered by this phenomenon would be the ones who are betting every race on the card.

Just a Fan
10-21-2013, 02:34 AM
If Mountaineer is paying TVG to televise their races, and they know that Los Al gets precedence on TVG, then the onus is on Mountaineer to find a way to stay off of the Los Al post times. The casual bettor who will bet ANY track that shows 3 minutes to post is going to pass on Mountaineer if he doesn't get that visual cue on his TV screen of the horses approaching the gate.

SharpCat
10-21-2013, 03:30 AM
If Mountaineer is paying TVG to televise their races, and they know that Los Al gets precedence on TVG, then the onus is on Mountaineer to find a way to stay off of the Los Al post times. The casual bettor who will bet ANY track that shows 3 minutes to post is going to pass on Mountaineer if he doesn't get that visual cue on his TV screen of the horses approaching the gate.

I don't think Mountaineer is to worried about TVG. Actually if I was Los Alamitos I would want to stay off Mountaineer post times. Mountaineer's handle is significantly bigger than Los Alamitos and there signal goes out to more locations than Los Alamitos. If they have to choose between races going off simultaneously it's my opinion more will play Mountaineer than Los Alamitos.

tanner12oz
10-21-2013, 07:53 AM
These are bottom tier crap tracks that aren't even running the same form of racing...no offense but there are far better things to complain about

jk3521
10-21-2013, 08:10 AM
Of course they might have the same post time ,but the races may actually go off minutes apart.

Mineshaft
10-21-2013, 09:16 AM
These are bottom tier crap tracks that aren't even running the same form of racing...no offense but there are far better things to complain about

Bingo we have a winner........

rastajenk
10-21-2013, 10:41 AM
Consider the source...

:p

Just a Fan
10-21-2013, 01:49 PM
I don't think Mountaineer is to worried about TVG. Actually if I was Los Alamitos I would want to stay off Mountaineer post times. Mountaineer's handle is significantly bigger than Los Alamitos and there signal goes out to more locations than Los Alamitos. If they have to choose between races going off simultaneously it's my opinion more will play Mountaineer than Los Alamitos.

The total handle betwen the 2 tracks is about dead even actually, although the Los Al total handle is inflated a bit by the two big pick 4 pools. Other than that, Mountaineer's pools are a little bigger. I guess my point is this - why would you pay TVG to televise your races, and then proceed to run your races at times that they can't be shown live on TVG? If you think its worth the investment to get the races on TVG, you might as well make an effort to try to slot your races to get maximum exposure. Having your races shown on tape delay doesn't seem worth the investment.

Meadowlands harness, for example, seems to do a good job of finding windows to run their races, to get the live broadcast on TVG as often as possible.

Stillriledup
10-21-2013, 01:54 PM
Of course they might have the same post time ,but the races may actually go off minutes apart.

In this specific case, they went off within seconds of each other. Since the LA races were less than 20 seconds in length, i think the LA horses were galloping out as the MTN race was starting.

Stillriledup
10-21-2013, 01:59 PM
It occurs to me that the only players who would be terribly bothered by this phenomenon would be the ones who are betting every race on the card.

I dont think this is true, bettors want to be able to closely follow along and if you can't follow along, how is a bettor to know if a great opportunity is presenting itself? I wasnt betting LA last night because i dont bet quarter horses, but they do have 4.5 races on occasion and those races often have shippers from the major so cal tracks in there, so that can present an edge if you have an opinion on one of them.

Maybe people don't watch warmups, but i make a lot of decisions based on what the horse looks like 0 and 1 MTP and if 2 tracks are running on top of each other, i have to pick and choose. Luckily for me, I wasnt betting 300 yard races at Los Al, but some people might have wanted to follow along both places.

The only 2 signals running shouldnt be running at the same exact time, this probably cost one or both of them some kind of handle, even if it was only a few bucks.

Im not even saying that one of those places has to delay their races for 5 mins, just even one minute is better than running at the exact same time. A bettor should be able to look at one race, and when that race is over, flip to the other signal and have at least a minute to watch the horses walk to the gate, see late odds fluctuations and whatnut.

Stillriledup
11-23-2013, 09:09 PM
CT 5 and MTN 6, running at the same time.

To the second.

:bang:

Al Gobbi
11-24-2013, 10:09 PM
With the Mountain cancelled tonight, looks like the bridgejumpers have taken their action to Los Al tonight.

horses4courses
11-24-2013, 10:21 PM

Exactly.
And, these are the type of players that should be encouraged to bet into pools.
There is not enough "casual money" wagered these days, especially at small tracks. If a track can increase their all-sources handle even slightly by adjusting their post times 10-15 minutes, why wouldn't they welcome the chance?

cj
11-24-2013, 10:36 PM

I don't think that is true at all. Isn't it possible that someone is MONITORING all tracks for possible bets and likes to wait until the last second, particularly at small tracks with big odds swings? No need to answer, because of course it is possible.

duncan04
11-24-2013, 10:40 PM
I don't think that is true at all. Isn't it possible that someone is MONITORING all tracks for possible bets and likes to wait until the last second, particularly at small tracks with big odds swings? No need to answer, because of course it is possible.

But honestly how many TB players play the Quarterhorses? So in this example of Los Alamitos and MNR don't think its that big of a deal.

cj
11-24-2013, 11:02 PM
But honestly how many TB players play the Quarterhorses? So in this example of Los Alamitos and MNR don't think its that big of a deal.

LA does run some t-breds, but to be honest I haven't looked to see if the race in question was a thoroughbred race. That said, the post I quoted wasn't talking about a specific example, just the part about races going off at the same time.