PDA

View Full Version : Prevent defense question

wiffleball whizz
10-20-2013, 02:22 PM
Great way to get games home for "they"......

When did this start.....I don't remember this happening in the 1990s when I started watching

Dumbest thing in world

ronsmac
10-20-2013, 03:18 PM
Great way to get games home for "they"......

When did this start.....I don't remember this happening in the 1990s when I started watching

Dumbest thing in world
the Baltimore Colts use to go into the prevent a win offense if they had to leave late in the game, all the way back in the late 70's.

ronsmac
10-20-2013, 03:19 PM
the Baltimore Colts use to go into the prevent a win offense if they had to leave late in the game, all the way back in the late 70's.
Had a lead late in the game I meant.

wiffleball whizz
10-20-2013, 03:32 PM
It's so stupid.....what are they preventing besides victory/a cover

tucker6
10-20-2013, 04:02 PM
prevent has existed at least since the mid 70's. I'm sure earlier as well.

_______
10-20-2013, 04:07 PM
It's been around a lot longer than the 90's. The idea of bringing in additional db's and essentially trading yardage for time is a no brainer for any team with a 2 score lead late in the game. It's efficacy is little more doubtful when the lead is less than 2 scores.

The quote about it "preventing winning" was in print in 1979.

I'd be concerned about integrity if I saw it wasn't being used in a situation that a team could lock up a real world win.

Stillriledup
10-20-2013, 04:31 PM
Prevent defenses prevent you from winning.

wiffleball whizz
10-20-2013, 04:34 PM
Prevent defenses prevent you from winning.

Or at least covering or keeping games under

Stillriledup
10-20-2013, 04:46 PM
Or at least covering or keeping games under
True Whizz, true. :ThmbUp:

sandpit
10-20-2013, 08:08 PM
I've always called it the "allow", since the defense is basically letting the offense drive down the field.

raybo
10-20-2013, 09:35 PM

I know the Cowboys used it in the 70's, I can remember the announcers letting everybody watching know that they were in their prevent defense. Never cared for it myself, unless it was like the last minute and we were ahead by more than 3, prevent the bomb for a TD and make them short pass the clock out.

Robert Goren
10-21-2013, 07:13 AM
The only thing dumber than the prevent defense is the so called " 4 minute offense" where the leading team attempt to kill the clock by running it. It seems like most of the time it consists of 2 running plays for no gain and 3rd and ten incomplete pass and then a punt with other team burning 2 TO and about 20 seconds coming off the clock.

Valuist
10-21-2013, 11:29 AM

Absolutely. At some point in the game, teams (in the NFL, not so much college) are willing to give up yardage and points if it burns up the clock. No style points in the NFL. They could not care less if they cover the spread.

There was a very dumb call by the Colts late in the game last night when they tried a pass with about 2 minutes to play. The pass was incomplete which was basically another time out for Denver. But the Broncos defense was so inept they were guilty of a personal foul so the Colts got a first down anyways.