PDA

View Full Version : Scariest Things You Have Seen @ a Track

chrisforbes
10-19-2013, 09:07 AM
What are some of the scariest things you have ever seen at a track. One memory I will never forget was when I was working at Garden State Parx and we had a horrific jockey spill and I went out onto the track and several jockeys were involved in a nasty spill and not seeing several of them not moving whatsoever for several minutes was downright scary while waiting for help to arrive.

All the jocks involved had numerous injuries, but thankfully nobody got paralyzed, but just being actually on the track and being meer feet from several of the downed jockeys is something I will never forget that is for sure

chris forbes

Robert Goren
10-19-2013, 09:27 AM
I look in the mirror once while visiting the track facilities.
I did see a race where 6 of 8 horses went down.

wiffleball whizz
10-19-2013, 10:20 AM
Parking attendants and admission gates.....

turninforhome10
10-19-2013, 10:27 AM
Horses on the verge of a heat stroke. They get wild and have no regard for their handlers and can hurt themselves or anyone in the general vicinty, flipping and jumping wildly. It is a helpless and scary feeling.

Tom
10-19-2013, 11:06 AM
The prices at the concession stand! :eek:

wiffleball whizz
10-19-2013, 11:10 AM

YESSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!

magwell
10-19-2013, 11:57 AM
Men's bathroom at Calder, .........:rolleyes:

PoloUK6108
10-19-2013, 12:06 PM
Derby 2013...girl standing right in front of me, probably 20-23, in an epic struggle just to stand in one spot. Once she got her balance (if you want to call it that) she then proceeded to urinate on herself in the middle of the crowded paddock. :D

Was also at Keeneland once when 2 or 3 horses broke down in the stretch. This hardly ever happens there, and workers rushed out on the track with those giant shades to shield the view of the audience. Joe Rocco Jr. took a bad spill and lay motionless the whole time, scary afternoon.

Jeff P
10-19-2013, 12:12 PM
Thoroughbred Owners of California (TOC) still believing that increasing the exacta takeout from 20.68% to 22.68% was the right move to make.

California Exacta Takeout Compared to Other Major Tracks:
18.50% - NYRA (AQU-BEL-SAR)
19.00% - Kentucky (CDX-KEE)
19.00% - DEL-MTH
20.00% - GPX
20.50% - APX-FGX-HAW-TAM-WOX
22.68% - DMR-HOL-SAX

-jp

wiffleball whizz
10-19-2013, 12:14 PM
Oh forgot one

Seeing a bookmaker I used to owe money too Rolling through the grandstand after a bad week of football.....enough to shake up even the strongest minded individuals!!!

Luckily this hasn't happened in last 10 years!!

JustRalph
10-19-2013, 12:15 PM
saw a driver get killed at Scioto Downs when I was about 15. Flew through the air and landed right in front of me near the fence. He hit a fence post head first without a helmet...... his helmet had come off.......

Ocala Mike
10-19-2013, 01:30 PM
The two hatchet men (we nicknamed them Rosencrantz and Guildenstern) sent down from the Human Resources Dept. in Albany to give us the bad news that our Tax Audit unit at the track was disbanded (1991), and we were all laid off.

I landed on my feet, though.

wiffleball whizz
10-19-2013, 01:46 PM
saw a driver get killed at Scioto Downs when I was about 15. Flew through the air and landed right in front of me near the fence. He hit a fence post head first without a helmet...... his helmet had come off.......

That can't be beat

Stillriledup
10-19-2013, 02:12 PM
Looking in my pocket and seeing the lint at the bottom. Nothing more scary to me than walking out with "Rabbit ears".

thespaah
10-19-2013, 02:17 PM
And the sh!tty food.

thespaah
10-19-2013, 02:20 PM
A loose horse at Meadowlands being chased by the outrider, wheel around and head back toward the field which was at the top of the stretch. Luckily the horse was caught before a head on collision was possible.

wiffleball whizz
10-19-2013, 02:58 PM
Looking in my pocket and seeing the lint at the bottom. Nothing more scary to me than walking out with "Rabbit ears".

Me and my friend call it dog ears :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: and it is a scary thought

PoloUK6108
10-19-2013, 03:05 PM
Also have seen several breakdowns where the horse tries to get back up and their leg has snapped and just dangles around like rubber..Horrifying sight, and you always know what's to follow, which is tragic. Still, it's the humane thing to do for the animal :(

Stillriledup
10-19-2013, 03:17 PM
Me and my friend call it dog ears :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: and it is a scary thought

:lol: I knew it was some kind of ears!!! :lol:

jballscalls
10-19-2013, 03:20 PM
Thoroughbred Owners of California (TOC) still believing that increasing the exacta takeout from 20.68% to 22.68% was the right move to make.

California Exacta Takeout Compared to Other Major Tracks:
18.50% - NYRA (AQU-BEL-SAR)
19.00% - Kentucky (CDX-KEE)
19.00% - DEL-MTH
20.00% - GPX
20.50% - APX-FGX-HAW-TAM-WOX
22.68% - DMR-HOL-SAX

-jp

Only took 9 posts to get takeout mentioned. Line was at 13.5 and I took over. Damnit!

thespaah
10-19-2013, 03:22 PM
going into pocket to find voucher missing! :eek: :(

dilanesp
10-19-2013, 03:31 PM
I don't know about scary but the one that still haunts me is the 1990 Breeders' Cup Distaff. I flew out to New York that year and I had a seat at the 1/16th pole right where it happened. I wasn't even really a fan of Go For Wand (I bet Bayakoa and felt sick cashing the ticket), but it happened literally right in front of me and as soon as I saw it I knew she was going to be put down on the track. I don't ever want to describe exactly what I saw, but you can imagine.

Stillriledup
10-19-2013, 03:33 PM
I don't know about scary but the one that still haunts me is the 1990 Breeders' Cup Distaff. I flew out to New York that year and I had a seat at the 1/16th pole right where it happened. I wasn't even really a fan of Go For Wand (I bet Bayakoa and felt sick cashing the ticket), but it happened literally right in front of me and as soon as I saw it I knew she was going to be put down on the track. I don't ever want to describe exactly what I saw, but you can imagine.

I was there too. That was very tragic.

Stillriledup
10-19-2013, 03:34 PM
going into pocket to find voucher missing! :eek: :(

Or, picking a winner and fishing for a ticket and you find out the guy gave you the wrong numbers! :eek:

wiffleball whizz
10-19-2013, 03:37 PM
Only took 9 posts to get takeout mentioned. Line was at 13.5 and I took over. Damnit!

Takeout talk is out of control here!!!!!!

When will it get mentioned in the religion thread

LottaKash
10-19-2013, 03:40 PM
Back in the mid 70's, I got scared a bit, when at Liberty Bell Park, I was up like $600 bucks, on $10 & $20 wagers, and I got carried away and celebrated a bit too much on the nite, and got a strange feeling when I woke up on the throne in the mens room at 7am....I found myself locked in the building, as well as the parking lot....I got a lot of laughs from the security guard who let me out, when he said " I was wonderin' when you were going to come out of your hiding spot"...:jump: Back then $600 was a scad of kash for a working man...especially for a recently divorced one, at that...:cool:

Shemp Howard
10-19-2013, 03:52 PM
The bleach blonde Trixie after a couple of bourbon and ginger's at the clubhouse bar.

CincyHorseplayer
10-19-2013, 04:14 PM
Midsummer at River Downs,pasty white chick about 5'6,190 lbs,half shirt with totally sloppy spare tire hanging out looking like dripping wax.When she leaned over the rail she had so much cottage cheese on the back of her legs it looked like wool.And you had to notice because she was right at the finish line!She was havin a blast though,god love her!:D

Dan Montilion
10-19-2013, 04:20 PM
Watching a possible 6 figure pick-6 score nailed on the money by a professional maiden (that chose this day to beak through) trained by a 1 for 172 trainer. Then having to endure the a$$#@%e in the next box tell everybody within in ear shot that he KNEW the horse would win and 4-1 was a great price.

Dan Montilion
10-19-2013, 04:22 PM
Midsummer at River Downs,pasty white chick about 5'6,190 lbs,half shirt with totally sloppy spare tire hanging out looking like dripping wax.When she leaned over the rail she had so much cottage cheese on the back of her legs it looked like wool.And you had to notice because she was right at the finish line!She was havin a blast though,god love her!:D
Everyman's ex...

jballscalls
10-19-2013, 05:03 PM
Takeout talk is out of control here!!!!!!

When will it get mentioned in the religion thread

I think someone mentioned the Tithing rate going up at their church, back on like page 25 of that thread :)

jballscalls
10-19-2013, 05:04 PM
Couple of years ago walked into the restroom after the last race and a guy was in cardiac arrest on the floor. One of our trainers performed CPR and the guy actually was still alive for a couple of days, but passed away at the hospital. Never seen a human that color, was really tough to see.

Grits
10-19-2013, 05:12 PM
Everyman's ex...

You wish.. Speak for yourself, Brad Pitt.

precocity
10-19-2013, 05:30 PM
:lol: :lol: yep know what you mean?

TheEdge07
10-19-2013, 08:45 PM
Saw a fellow curse out a 68 year old lady after he lost a photo and she had the winner.The winner paid 3.60.His horse was 12/1..She had $2 to win.

shouldacoulda
10-20-2013, 08:45 AM
This isn't a worst but a best. I bought a hot dog at Belmont once. When I went to throw the napkin in the garbage there was a crisp new $10.00 bill sitting on top of the garbage which was clean and dry with a fresh crease in it. Half the bill was standing straight up like a flag. That was when $10.00 was $10.00. Now it's only worth about $2.50. I figured the racing Gods left it there for me as I was having a losing day. :) Never look a gift horse in the mouth, right?

BlueChip@DRF
10-20-2013, 09:16 AM
I was 7 years old. It was a hot day in July at Belmont Park back in 75'. The match race was on....

Longshot6977
10-20-2013, 10:11 AM
Seeing a guy die (heart attack) in the downstairs Billy's Room at Freehold one Saturday nite after he was begging for money all nite and splitting $1 exactas with people all nite long and losing the bets. People just stepped over him on the way to the windows. He was finally removed when the medics showed up about 15 minutes later.

shouldacoulda
10-20-2013, 10:21 AM
Saw a fellow curse out a 68 year old lady after he lost a photo and she had the winner.The winner paid 3.60.His horse was 12/1..She had $2 to win.
Can't stand those types. Almost saw a fight break out at OTB because someone rooted "against" their horse. So ridiculous.

wiffleball whizz
10-20-2013, 11:15 AM
Seeing a guy die (heart attack) in the downstairs Billy's Room at Freehold one Saturday nite after he was begging for money all nite and splitting $1 exactas with people all nite long and losing the bets. People just stepped over him on the way to the windows. He was finally removed when the medics showed up about 15 minutes later.

Many scary things have happened on the corner of 33&9.........the $2 admission into Billy's room is one of them.......heart attacks are common at fhld

FocusWiz
10-20-2013, 11:28 AM
I was 7 years old. It was a hot day in July at Belmont Park back in 75'. The match race was on....Totally agree.

GallopApace
10-20-2013, 11:33 AM
Saw a young horse out for his first breeze ever on the Oklahoma Training Track. Probably about two years old, and this horse was absolutely flying out of control. Luckily he was the only horse moving on the track at the time because you could tell that he couldn't have cared less about his rider. No idea about which horse or stable, this was before I started really following racing. I only know it was his first breeze because an assistant trainer was tagging along with our tour group and knew the horse.

Mineshaft
10-20-2013, 11:35 AM
Can't stand those types. Almost saw a fight break out at OTB because someone rooted "against" their horse. So ridiculous.

that's everyday

LottaKash
10-20-2013, 11:46 AM
Many scary things have happened on the corner of 33&9.........the $2 admission into Billy's room is one of them.......heart attacks are common at fhld

But Wiffleball, ya gotta admit it tho, you used to be able to get a really good sandwich in "Billly's Room," once upon a time...:)

wiffleball whizz
10-20-2013, 12:55 PM
But Wiffleball, ya gotta admit it tho, you used to be able to get a really good sandwich in "Billly's Room," once upon a time...:)

$5.95 or $5.75......soup where u can grab all the crackers you want...people can knock Billy's room all they want but at the time the simulcast room was state of the art and the characters were priceless

If you were ever writing a book where not to take a date Billy's room would be 1

Fingal
10-20-2013, 06:54 PM
Scariest things I've seen at the track ?

Being at the Santa Anita paddock on the day that my friend John Shear was run over by a loose horse because he was willing to give his life to save that of a young girl.

The sound of breakdowns that now are too numerous to recall, except there are some images so strong they could have happened last week & not over 30 years ago.

The things I wish I could forget, but never will.

LottaKash
10-20-2013, 09:45 PM
$5.95 or $5.75......soup where u can grab all the crackers you want...people can knock Billy's room all they want but at the time the simulcast room was state of the art and the characters were priceless

If you were ever writing a book where not to take a date Billy's room would be 1

You got it Wiff....I spent many an afternoon there....In fact many's a time I would often go there in the evening for simulcast rather than up to M1, just to get a change....

I miss those days tho....Haven't been there for a good long time now...Fla is so far away from it now.. :)

wiffleball whizz
10-20-2013, 09:53 PM
You got it Wiff....I spent many an afternoon there....In fact many's a time I would often go there in the evening for simulcast rather than up to M1, just to get a change....

I miss those days tho....Haven't been there for a good long time now...Fla is so far away from it now.. :)

Nothing has changed....last time I was there was Thursday before Preakness in 2012.......remember all the TVs that hung from ceiling there all flat screens know shockingly....

In the late 90s up until 2002 I'd take billysnroom against any simulcast room at any racetrack.....

Had that distinctive smell when u walked in too

And how can u forget the blue light and invisible stamp and the hag that wouldn't part with a dime at the door and would charge the $2 till the last second

thespaah
10-20-2013, 11:48 PM
Remember back when smoking was still permitted indoors?
Billy's Room looked like that scene in "Johnny Dangerously" when Johnny's gang were all smoking while cleaning their guns....That room had ZERO ventilation.

thespaah
10-20-2013, 11:50 PM
Back in the mid 70's, I got scared a bit, when at Liberty Bell Park, I was up like $600 bucks, on $10 & $20 wagers, and I got carried away and celebrated a bit too much on the nite, and got a strange feeling when I woke up on the throne in the mens room at 7am....I found myself locked in the building, as well as the parking lot....I got a lot of laughs from the security guard who let me out, when he said " I was wonderin' when you were going to come out of your hiding spot"...:jump: Back then $600 was a scad of kash for a working man...especially for a recently divorced one, at that...:cool:
let me get this straight. You cashed for 6 sheets, got drunk in celebration and passed out in the crapper?

thespaah
10-20-2013, 11:53 PM
Entirely too much information..That visual will live with me for the rest of the week.
Thanks, you jerk.... :lol:

thespaah
10-20-2013, 11:58 PM
it could always be forgotten with a visit to Jersey Freeze..

wiffleball whizz
10-21-2013, 12:07 AM

Good harness horse Riyadh was on tough times I'm like 17 or so I bet 20 win at 9/2 at the meadowlands......horse wins I get up in the renisansee room walk to jersey freeze bring back 5 chocolate shakes....cashed for 114 felt like I was on top of the world :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

And brought in 5 shakes as it was a food night there with a $15 min....**** them

Walked all the way to j freeze and walked back in the darkness....I was walking on air

LottaKash
10-21-2013, 12:13 AM

Always stopped there, either on the way in, or out....Yumm !

thespaah
10-21-2013, 12:43 AM
Always stopped there, either on the way in, or out....Yumm !
According to this.....http://local.yahoo.com/info-10824780-jersey-freeze-freehold.....Jersey Freeze is still there.The circle is no longer there. It's a quirky interchange now.

CincyHorseplayer
10-21-2013, 08:33 AM
You guys that know me know I'm a hands on player and love it.Take one note for some of these azzholes.I hear them saying dumb crap like "Break a leg" or "lose,lose,lose".I hate these old windbags and I can't wait til their generation dies off.The funny thing is though.They think they can kick your ass!It's only happened once in my lifetime at the track but bury a bodyshot into one of these azzholes on occasion.Just to let them know that god isn't the sole provider of consequence.Misery loves company.Give it to them!

depalma113
10-21-2013, 09:10 AM
2008 Florida Derby.

Two fancy dressed people were standing inside the fence with their backs to the walking ring getting their picture taken as the horses were being lead into the ring. BB Frank spooked and jumped in the air and kicked out. To this day I don't know how he didn't take the lady's heads off.

JustRalph
10-21-2013, 12:03 PM
You guys that know me know I'm a hands on player and love it.Take one note for some of these azzholes.I hear them saying dumb crap like "Break a leg" or "lose,lose,lose".I hate these old windbags and I can't wait til their generation dies off.The funny thing is though.They think they can kick your ass!It's only happened once in my lifetime at the track but bury a bodyshot into one of these azzholes on occasion.Just to let them know that god isn't the sole provider of consequence.Misery loves company.Give it to them!

Can you clarify this? You want to punch some old guy at the OTB?

woodbinepmi
10-21-2013, 03:53 PM
One time when I was working at Retama Park, a hot walker had a child in a stall. Needless to say Child Services took the child away from her.