PDA

View Full Version : NHL shootouts

Valuist
10-18-2013, 10:12 AM
I realize they generate excitement, but c'mon, settling a game with basically a skills competition? It doesn't seem right. Imagine if the Heat and Bulls were tied after 4 quarters. Let's have Lebron and Derrick Rose come out and play 1 on 1 and decide things......no, I don't think so. Imagine MLB. Game is tied after 9 innings so you settle things with home run derby. Yeah, right. College football is bad enough, eliminating special teams but at least its closer to a game situation than the NHL.

Simple solution. Expand the overtime period from 5 to 10 minutes or even 20 minutes. And if you are still tied, its a tie.

notoutofpounds
10-18-2013, 10:34 AM
Shootouts are so wrong, it is like having a pass,punt and kick contest to settle an NFL game or a slam dunk contest for an NBA tie-breaker.

The worst thing about these is that these games are worth 3 points instead of 2 for a regulation win. Close games are suddenly 50% more valuable :bang:

The NHL Standings are messy looking too with all the extra categories, it should just be W / L / T etc.

Greyfox
10-18-2013, 10:42 AM
I like shootouts.
Both teams are getting at least 1 point anyways.
Most teams have to play either the next night or two days later.
Hockey is an exhausting sport and long overtimes are too tough on players expected to recover for battle in a couple of days.
Hell, even one N.F.L. player was griping about Thursday night football giving enough recovery time for players after a Sunday game.
Hockey players are expected to recover faster than that.

Keep the shootouts.

wisconsin
10-18-2013, 11:23 AM
Never was a fan of shootouts. One team that was not good enough to win still gets 2 points for the game just the same as a team that was good enough to win a regulation game in 60 minutes. How does that make sense?

Jay Trotter
10-18-2013, 01:38 PM
Not a huge fan of shootouts. The 5 minute overtime is sufficient and shouldn't be longer due to the strain of the schedule.

My suggestion would be to make Regulation/OT Wins worth 3 points; and Shootout Wins worth 2 points with the loser getting 1 point. The Shootout Win shouldn't be worth the same as the Regulation/OT Win. And that's all I got to say about that...

ldiatone
10-18-2013, 04:37 PM
i like shootouts!
? whats the difference between a "triangle" and the Flyers?

MutuelClerk
10-18-2013, 05:59 PM
Not a big fan of shootouts either. Even a lesser fan of three point games. Games should be worth two points. If you have to have OT and can't live with a tie. The winner should get two points. The loser zip.....

notoutofpounds
10-18-2013, 06:25 PM
A: Triangles have :3: points ?!

horses4courses
10-18-2013, 06:35 PM
What's wrong with a league gaming ending in a tie?

elysiantraveller
10-18-2013, 07:53 PM
Not a huge fan of shootouts. The 5 minute overtime is sufficient and shouldn't be longer due to the strain of the schedule.

My suggestion would be to make Regulation/OT Wins worth 3 points; and Shootout Wins worth 2 points with the loser getting 1 point. The Shootout Win shouldn't be worth the same as the Regulation/OT Win. And that's all I got to say about that...

:ThmbUp:

I agree with this OR go to a 10 Minute 5 on 5 sudden death and allow ties.

ldiatone
10-19-2013, 05:22 PM
A: Triangles have :3: points ?!
yea baby! and 6 days to think about 1-7.

notoutofpounds
10-19-2013, 06:05 PM
yea baby! and 6 days to think about 1-7.

Could be awhile before Coach Berube :lol: :lol: :lol: gets a win.

St. Louis 3
Winnipeg 4 Shootout

Shootouts are awesome :lol: :lol: :lol:

I like being in this Central Division, it is much better than a steady diet of Canes, Cats, and Caps.

Two defenseman lead the Jets in scoring Buff & Enstrom with :7: each.

How is your team idiatone ?

Leafs, do us a favor and beat the Hawks tonight.

Jay Trotter
10-19-2013, 06:15 PM
Leafs, do us a favor and beat the Hawks tonight.NOP, you really need to get a grip, the LEAFS are the enemy -- they must LOSE at all cost!

Rookies
10-19-2013, 08:42 PM
Shootouts are ridiculous copouts for the world's toughest players. Absolutely absurd and not worthy of the game.

Especially, since it takes it's cue from that effeminate game played by people in shorts!

Imagine a Gold Medal World Championship decided with Penalty Kicks, rather than playing the sport until there is a Goal! Repulsive. :ThmbDown:

HoofedInTheChest
10-20-2013, 05:36 PM
NOP, you really need to get a grip, the LEAFS are the enemy -- they must LOSE at all cost!
Hey Captain Canuck, what's with the makeover?

I thought for sure you were a Euro-lover, or did i give you a complex?

Only Trotsky would want a team from his own division to beat the Leafs, at least NOOP is smart enough to realize the big picture. I was watching the Wings/Yotes game last night, rooting for the Yotes of course after the Buds layed an egg, and the Yotes did us a big favor by steamrolling the Wings in the 3rd..... now if those Pens would just stop winning.

Shootouts, i'm not a fan of deciding a game over a shootout, except when Toews lit it up at the world jr's. But if your team is a bubble team, these 3 point games are your best friend, it keeps the standings nice and tight.

MutuelClerk
10-20-2013, 05:54 PM
Road trip. Going to see the Toronto Maple Leafs Friday against the Blue Jackets.

ldiatone
10-20-2013, 08:09 PM
come on guys....get into the 21 century....forget all those back days. too much money spent on salaries for these players and the owners do not want them hurt. less playing time for more OT means less chance for injury. and why did the league do this??? for the fans! now playoffs....GREAT-SUDDEN DEATH!

MutuelClerk
10-21-2013, 09:07 AM
If you don't want them hurt, why even put them on the ice? Tie game, one point each. No five minute OT. No shootout. Sixty minutes of speed and violence should be enough.

Greyfox
10-21-2013, 10:25 AM
Ties are usually referred to "like kissing your sister."
The fans want a winner and a loser.
A night in a pro Hockey rink can be an expensive outing for a hubby and wife.
Ties make one wonder, why they even played the game.
Sudden death OT has to be the way in playoffs.
In the regular season, 4 on 4 five minute overtimes are just fine.
The shootouts add a different element of excitement.
The skill sets of shooters and goalies are brought under the magnifying glass.
Most fans are on the edge of their seats during them.

They aren't and shouldn't be going anywhere.

HoofedInTheChest
10-23-2013, 05:24 PM
Road trip. Going to see the Toronto Maple Leafs Friday against the Blue Jackets.
There is a large contingent from Mimico heading down to Columbus to watch Wendel Clarkson's debut, should be a good game and i wish i was going, enjoy the game. :ThmbUp:

We have yet to see the actual line-up this season, and by this time next week the bonecrushers should be back in the line-up, then the real fun begins.

MutuelClerk
10-24-2013, 07:09 PM
Thanks. I will enjoy for sure. Will be nice to see Clarkson. Just hope he can take the pressure of that contract. He's one of those guys that does more than shows on the stat sheet. I'm excited to see the game tomorrow. GO LEAFS GO!!!!

Track Collector
10-24-2013, 11:13 PM
Never been a fan of the shoot-out.

I would rather have 4 on 4 overtime for 20 minute periods until someone scores.

I like the idea of:
3 pts for regulation win
2 pts for overtime win
1 pt for overtime loss
0 pts for regulation loss

wisconsin
10-25-2013, 10:18 AM
Never been a fan of the shoot-out.

I would rather have 4 on 4 overtime for 20 minute periods until someone scores.

I like the idea of:
3 pts for regulation win
2 pts for overtime win
1 pt for overtime loss
0 pts for regulation loss

What he said :ThmbUp:

therussmeister
10-25-2013, 03:04 PM
I think instead of shootouts, they do a couples ice-dancing competition.