PDA

View Full Version : sugar ray vs duran 30-30 on espn

precocity
10-15-2013, 08:37 PM
very interesting?

tucker6
10-15-2013, 09:28 PM
I wished that I had remembered to watch. So why did Duran quit anyway?

ronsmac
10-15-2013, 09:28 PM
very interesting?
As a kid, only Bert Jones was a bigger sports idol to me than Sugar Ray Leonard. Ray made me want to be a pro boxer when I grew up, luckily I didn't have his talent and realized that would be a dumb move.

precocity
10-15-2013, 10:42 PM
I wished that I had remembered to watch. So why did Duran quit anyway?
said after the first fight he partied too much in new york city and gained too much weight. and had to have shot to lose weight to fight ray 5 months later? :rolleyes:

johnhannibalsmith
10-15-2013, 11:46 PM
Watched this a little while ago. Good stuff indeed.

precocity
10-16-2013, 12:01 AM
Watched this a little while ago. Good stuff indeed.
have to admit it kept you glued to what really happened?

cj
10-16-2013, 01:09 AM
I'll check it out tomorrow. My Dad took my brother and I to see Sugar Ray's first pro fight at the Baltimore Civic Center, was a huge fan if his.

precocity
10-16-2013, 01:20 AM
I'll check it out tomorrow. My Dad took my brother and I to see Sugar Ray's first pro fight at the Baltimore Civic Center, was a huge fan if his.
CJ you will post about it when you see it! truly captivating for a boxing fan.

cj
10-16-2013, 01:23 AM
CJ you will post about it when you see it! truly captivating for a boxing fan.

Sure, have it DVRed, had Thunder game tonight. KD scored 36 in 22 minutes.

ronsmac
10-16-2013, 01:26 AM
I remember that fight, though I didn't go, I remember Ray getting an unheard of sum at the time for a pro debut. I remember spending the night at my best friends house and watching him knockout Davey boy Green at the Cap center on abc the same night Larry Holmes beat Leroy Jones in las vegas.

Dahoss2002
10-16-2013, 02:25 AM
I remember the fight. Duran was my favorite fighter. Arguably the best lightweight fighter ever, twice avenging his lone loss to Esteban De Jesus. As much as I wanted him to win the rematch with Leonard, Sugar Ray was pitching a shutout, winning every round, dancing and taunting him. Duran couldn't land a punch. I really think frustration coupled with embarrassment caused him to quit.

Dahoss2002
10-16-2013, 02:35 AM
youtube clip of the highlights. Guess I did not remember that well. I forgot all about Howie calling the fight LMAO.http://youtu.be/HZGbERQLc_A

JustRalph
10-16-2013, 02:55 AM
My wife got to know Sugar Ray a little when we lived in California. He was very very nice to her in person. He used to come into her restaurant in Brentwood all the time. Very good with the staff and always willing to talk to a fan.

johnhannibalsmith
10-16-2013, 11:05 AM
have to admit it kept you glued to what really happened?

I just enjoy those sort of documentaries in general, particularly the boxing ones for whatever reasons, and even though I loathe ESPN - their films like this are always fantastic.

Really, I wasn't surprised by the lack of a surprise. Aside from the fact that had Duran given some mea culpa that made a world of sense, we probably would have heard it by now (before the airing, I mean) - but the speculation and confusion and mystery is as much a part of the lore as the actual event is. And as a cynic, Duran has one last chip to cash in if he needs a few bucks to get by and he may as well hang on to that last story until he needs it most.

I did like that he claimed that Cosell made up "no mas" and that he never said that at all. Maybe that's something he's said in the past, but it was the first time I heard it.

tucker6
10-16-2013, 12:34 PM
I just enjoy those sort of documentaries in general, particularly the boxing ones for whatever reasons, and even though I loathe ESPN - their films like this are always fantastic.

Really, I wasn't surprised by the lack of a surprise. Aside from the fact that had Duran given some mea culpa that made a world of sense, we probably would have heard it by now (before the airing, I mean) - but the speculation and confusion and mystery is as much a part of the lore as the actual event is. And as a cynic, Duran has one last chip to cash in if he needs a few bucks to get by and he may as well hang on to that last story until he needs it most.

I did like that he claimed that Cosell made up "no mas" and that he never said that at all. Maybe that's something he's said in the past, but it was the first time I heard it.
whatever Cosell was, he was a good listener and no liar. He was a fairly straight shooter of what was said and by whom. He was a union lawyer, so was good at remembering things said.

TJDave
10-16-2013, 02:42 PM
I remember the fight. Duran was my favorite fighter. Arguably the best lightweight fighter ever, twice avenging his lone loss to Esteban De Jesus. As much as I wanted him to win the rematch with Leonard, Sugar Ray was pitching a shutout, winning every round, dancing and taunting him. Duran couldn't land a punch. I really think frustration coupled with embarrassment caused him to quit.

Leonard/Duran II was a repeat of Clay/Liston. Sonny thought he was the baddest man on the planet until Ali explained it to him.