PDA

View Full Version : Fat goalies and world class sprinters in baseball.

Stillriledup
10-15-2013, 06:04 PM
What do you think of an NHL team getting the fattest man on earth and plopping him in front of the net in Hockey? Wouldnt he block the entire net?

how about finding the fastest man on the planet and just have him on the team as a pinch runner and designated base stealer. I know Hollywood Herb Washington was a "pinch runner" many years ago, in fact, i believe his baseball card had his position as pinch runner, he didnt play the field i don't think.

notoutofpounds
10-15-2013, 07:04 PM
Herb Washington, wow what a blast from the past. Zero career At Bats. The problem with this strategy is that he lacks the baseball sense that a player playing high level baseball all his life would have.

Remember the 1974 California World Series when Kinesiology guru Mike Marshall picked him off of first ? That was awesome.

TJDave
10-15-2013, 07:15 PM
Billy Barty bats leadoff.

Dave Schwartz
10-15-2013, 11:58 PM
On the other hand, Bob Hayes comes to mind.

Then, on the original hand, we have that baseball academy that Charlie Finley set up with gifted athletes. As I recall it only produced two major league players: Frank White... and somebody else. (Obviously not very memorable.)

TJDave
10-16-2013, 12:20 AM
Then, on the original hand, we have that baseball academy that Charlie Finley set up with gifted athletes.

Charlie was an innovator but when compared to Bill Veeck, a rank amateur.

Valuist
10-16-2013, 10:04 AM
The Niners signed Renaldo Nehemiah to play wide receiver but it doesn't work when a guy with 4.3 speed has 5.0 hands and 6.0 route running ability.

ldiatone
10-16-2013, 05:01 PM
whos the kid from the reds who was the designated pinch runner?
and i don't think that a person "who can't control their weight" would not last more than 1 game because of conditioning and that person would have to be very large to cover the whole net. the players in the NHL are too good

rastajenk
10-16-2013, 08:17 PM
Billy Hamilton. It worked well for about 10 days, then the other batters slumped and his effectiveness was restrained. Could have been an effective weapon in these tight, well-pitched playoff games had the Reds just won an extra game or two in the last week.

RaceBookJoe
10-16-2013, 09:30 PM
I always wondered why NHL teams didn't sign huge goalies also. I do remember that the Redskins, back in the early/mid 1970's attempted to sign Andre the Giant to block field goals/extra points.

Steve 'StatMan'
10-16-2013, 10:45 PM
I've pondered the goalile issue a few times. 4' high by 6' wide IRRC. Don't know if anyone that heavy is heavy in those dimensions. Might have to lay sideways on the cold ice. Use free arm to block the rare hole. Don't think people that big can move their arm or leg that fast. Plus there will be vulnerable spots in the padding that will hurt on the very hard slap shots. And of course, there is the gamesmanship, with crashing into the goalie, and shooting shots near the head/mask. Anybody that big would likely not have the mental stamina or the tolerance for the pain that would come by the unapreciative opposition. I don't think they last the whole game before they quit, or the rules are changed.

Robert Goren
10-16-2013, 11:12 PM
On the other hand, Bob Hayes comes to mind.

Then, on the original hand, we have that baseball academy that Charlie Finley set up with gifted athletes. As I recall it only produced two major league players: Frank White... and somebody else. (Obviously not very memorable.)The other was SS Ron Washington who played off and on the majors from 1970 to 1990. He is currently the manager of the Texas Rangers.

PhantomOnTour
10-16-2013, 11:17 PM
No one is gonna just sit there and eat slapshots all night.
They really hurt, dontcha know.

Fat goalie idea is good in theory, but not practical.

menifee
10-16-2013, 11:45 PM
No one is gonna just sit there and eat slapshots all night.
They really hurt, dontcha know.

Fat goalie idea is good in theory, but not practical.

Watch the Youtube video on this link:

Fat goalie would never work:

http://www.theatlantic.com/daily-dish/archive/2011/04/could-an-obese-goalie-change-hockey-ctd/173506/