PDA

View Full Version : The incomparable Kelso

Grits
10-15-2013, 08:47 AM
A photographer's champion, five time HOY, Kelso.

http://thisishorseracing.com/news/index.php/from-behind-the-lens/entry/the-30th-anniversary-of-my-favorite-photo

Ocala Mike
10-15-2013, 11:11 AM
What a horse; NY players loved him throughout the early 60's when I first got into racing. Banana nose Eddie Arcaro fit him like a glove.

BlueShoe
10-15-2013, 12:21 PM
So many great old geldings, the kind that we rarely see anymore. Besides Kelso, there was Forgo, John Henry, Native Diver, Best Pal, Ancient Title, and several more very good ones that I could have mentioned.

thaskalos
10-15-2013, 05:20 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGIgh3uEFSE

What a void these great horses have left...

DeltaLover
10-15-2013, 07:02 PM
So many great old geldings, the kind that we rarely see anymore. Besides Kelso, there was Forgo, John Henry, Native Diver, Best Pal, Ancient Title, and several more very good ones that I could have mentioned.

Although these are top race horses, that anyone of them would have crash
any contemporary field, it is also truth that KELSO belongs to a different
league, consisting of the mythical names of Man o' War, Secretariat, Doctor,
Slew and Citation and of cource the top horse of all time RIBOT.

It is really unfortunate that today's thoroughbred has declined to the point we
all know today.

LottaKash
10-16-2013, 12:07 AM
I have been blessed to see so many of the great ones race during my lifetime...One of the biggest disappointments for me, was Kelso losing to Mongo in the Monmouth Stakes, when it was still a great race to be in...Our whole neighborhood chose sides as to who would win that race that year...What a hoss racin' buzz about it....Of course that was when racing was in it's best years.... I miss those days and those champs...Nowadays all I see are a bunch of sissies that couldn't get close to any of those all time greats, and yet they win so much more money than those oldies....
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The March 19, 1966 issue of The Blood-Horse carried the retirement announcement:"Kelso demonstrated the durability of class. No horse in our time was so good, so long. His was mature greatness."

Kelso's Race Record

YearStartsWinsSecondsThirdsEarningsLifetime 63 39 2 $1,977,896
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In John Henry's first race, a maiden special weight at Jefferson Downs, he actually walked out of the starting gate when the doors flew open, making his lack of racing experience obvious. The gelding made up for it, however, catching the leader in the homestretch to win by a nose. (imo, that race was a harbringer of things to come for this champ...He was the toughest horse I have ever seen, and for so long a time too...)(perhaps not the best of all time or the swiftest, but the toughest and bravest of them all, imo and I have seen so many of the great ones in my time)

John Henry's Race Record

YearStartsWinsSecondsThirdsEarningsLifetime 83 39 9 $6,591,860

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Forego was voted Horse of the Year three times, in 1974, 1975, and 1976, winning thirty four races and almost two million dollars. In fourteen major races, he hauled a burden of 130 pounds or more to victory. Forego spent his retirement as a pensioner at Kentucky Horse Park in Lexington, where thousands of tourists visited him every year.

Forego's Race Record

YearStartsWinsSecondsThirdsEarningsLifetime 57 34 7$1,938,957

:cool:

Rex Phinney
10-16-2013, 01:12 AM
He won twice carrying 136 pounds? Jesus Christ!

Being a relative newbie (I'm 33) there is so much to many of these horses I never knew. Thanks for sharing.

Cratos
10-16-2013, 06:59 PM
He won twice carrying 136 pounds? Jesus Christ!

Being a relative newbie (I'm 33) there is so much to many of these horses I never knew. Thanks for sharing.

Take look at Dr. Fager's last 3 races; it just doesn't get any better than the Doctor.