PDA

View Full Version : Columbus Day

jballscalls
10-14-2013, 11:42 AM
It seems in recent years, Columbus Day has been a rallying cry for my left friends to scream about what a genocidal murderer he was.

Has this been the case for a long time or is it a recent thing? I remember growing up celebrating Columbus, but I think Howard Zinn's book among other things turned the tide.

Just curious if any older posters remember this going on before the past decade or two?

rastajenk
10-14-2013, 11:56 AM
Liberal self-loathing isn't new, but I'm sure the echo chambers of the internet have helped bump it up several notches.

Robert Goren
10-14-2013, 12:06 PM
It seems in recent years, Columbus Day has been a rallying cry for my left friends to scream about what a genocidal murderer he was.

Has this been the case for a long time or is it a recent thing? I remember growing up celebrating Columbus, but I think Howard Zinn's book among other things turned the tide.

Just curious if any older posters remember this going on before the past decade or two? It has been around for many, many years to some extent. Certainly it has picked up some in the last few years. Actually it is close to a "nobody cares" issue as there is, even today. It get mention a few times on TV today and tomorrow it will be out of mind until next year. So it Goes.

FantasticDan
10-14-2013, 12:24 PM
Excellent NPR article:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/codeswitch/2013/10/14/232120128/how-columbus-sailed-into-u-s-history-thanks-to-italians

LottaKash
10-14-2013, 12:36 PM
When I was a kid, it was always good for a "day off" from school....I loved that Columbus for it...:jump:

DJofSD
10-14-2013, 12:40 PM
In another generation, Columbus will just be another name in history class.

classhandicapper
10-14-2013, 01:18 PM
In another generation, Columbus will just be another name in history class.

He'll be out of the history books or shown to be an example of what's wrong with American......unless of course the historical record reveals that he was gay. Then he'll be a national hero deserving of a parade and national holiday again. :lol:

DJofSD
10-14-2013, 01:20 PM
I like it -- who know, ol' Chris was gay!

TJDave
10-14-2013, 02:39 PM
I used to think poorly of Chris Columbus but John Gotti explained it to me.

FantasticDan
10-14-2013, 03:15 PM
I used to think poorly of Chris Columbus but John Gotti explained it to me.
jBD61skoMk8

ManU918
10-14-2013, 04:50 PM
jBD61skoMk8

That clip brings back some great memories. One of if not the greatest show of all time.

BlueShoe
10-14-2013, 05:24 PM
He'll be out of the history books or shown to be an example of what's wrong with American......unless of course the historical record reveals that he was gay. Then he'll be a national hero deserving of a parade and national holiday again. :lol:
But of course, along with most of our Founding Fathers and historical heros if the Left has it's way. According to them, most of them were evil, mainly because they happened to be male, white, and straight. In the last few years liberals have savaged Thomas Jefferson over the slavery issue, for one example. Liberals are incapable of viewing history objectively, they are revisionists. They apply 21st century PC standards to historical figures and events. It matters not what the era was, or the fact that standards were very different at that time, according to the libs, unless they were 21st century PC, that person, event or nation was bad.

FantasticDan
10-14-2013, 05:46 PM
But of course, along with most of our Founding Fathers and historical heros if the Left has it's way. According to them, most of them were evil, mainly because they happened to be male, white, and straight.Agreed. :ThmbUp: This is also why libs hate famous old time sports teams such as the 1928 Yankees, as well as the cast of Cheers, MASH, and Seinfeld, just to name a few. Altho methinks they don't hate George Costanza quite as much, since he's on record saying he thought it moved during a massage by a man. :blush: :ThmbDown:

Stillriledup
10-14-2013, 05:59 PM
When I was a kid, it was always good for a "day off" from school....I loved that Columbus for it...:jump:

Thank you. Nobody cares whether its Columbus day or Bolumbus day, they just know its a day off, its essentially an excuse to have a 3 day weekend for some.

FantasticDan
10-14-2013, 06:19 PM
Columbo deserves a day much more than Columbus :p

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/12/16/article-1095443-01BE3BBC0000044D-934_468x382.jpg

DJofSD
10-15-2013, 10:31 AM
Thank you. Nobody cares whether its Columbus day or Bolumbus day, they just know its a day off, its essentially an excuse to have a 3 day weekend for some.
Yes, I would imagine that is true. But, it seems inappropriate. Why let employees have a day off when no one believes the honoree should be honored?

Remove the day from the list of annual holidays and replace it with, oh, I don't know, mushroom day?

thaskalos
10-15-2013, 03:37 PM
Count me among those who favor abolishing this holiday...and my reasoning has nothing to do with the fact that the honoree happened to be "male, white, and straight" -- as our resident historian here has suggested.

Stillriledup
10-15-2013, 03:46 PM
Yes, I would imagine that is true. But, it seems inappropriate. Why let employees have a day off when no one believes the honoree should be honored?

Remove the day from the list of annual holidays and replace it with, oh, I don't know, mushroom day?

Big Business in America "celebrates" holidays by shoving overpriced products in your face and telling you that if you don't purchase gifts for friends and family, that you are "Scrooge" or some other bad words. We are all about hallmark holidays, the real "celebration" is big business celebrating November and December and knowing that those are the months that make or break their years financially, especially December.

Saratoga_Mike
10-15-2013, 03:47 PM
Big Business in America "celebrates" holidays by shoving overpriced products in your face and telling you that if you don't purchase gifts for friends and family, that you are "Scrooge" or some other bad words.

True, I received a ton of great Columbus Day gifts. I hope you made out well, too!

Stillriledup
10-15-2013, 03:54 PM
True, I received a ton of great Columbus Day gifts. I hope you made out well, too!

:D

Good one Michael!

Tom
10-15-2013, 04:12 PM
Columbo stood upon his ship,
it was a double-decker.
The Queen she waved her handkerchief,
Columbo waved his........too.