PDA

View Full Version : PK3 consolations - I'm out of touch

horses4courses
10-13-2013, 10:54 PM
Today, I liked a horse in the 6th at SA.
I don't play many horizontal wagers, but when I have a key horse at potentially higher than 3-1 odds, I often will try to play a low cost PK3 if my horse is in the 2nd, or 3rd, leg. The horse will always get a straight win play from me, but sometimes having it live in a PK3 (or a DD if it is 6-1 or better) can be money well spent.

The 4th race at SA appeared to present an opportunity for a PK3 single played to 3 horses in the 5th, and finishing with my key single in the 6th. Doug O'Neill's :9: in the 4th ran like the support he got at the windows, closing like gangbusters on the downhill course for a nice win. The 5th had 3 horses ( :5: :6: :7: ) that appeared to be the serious contenders. My $5 PK3 could get me a couple hundred for a low risk.

Five minutes, or so, to post until the 6th race, the :5: was scratched.
I assumed, incorrectly as it turned out, that all bets on the :5: in the PK3 would move onto the :6: , who was now a clear favorite.
The race resulted in a win for the :9: . No big deal.
In the 6th, I bet my :7: horse for $30 to win.
I was lucky enough to have him close up the rail under Talamo to win going away, paying $16.20.

When I later checked my a/c balance, I was pleasantly surprised to have another $51.50 in payoff for a PK3 consolation. I haven't been in that situation before with a late scratch, so I had no idea how it happened.

Can anyone tell me how long California has been paying PK3 conso's for a late scratch, and what other states do the same?

tanner12oz
10-14-2013, 06:43 AM
I've been playing for about 10 years and its still a mystery when I get a consol or I get the post time favorite...