PDA

View Full Version : Kudos to Santa Anita racing secretary.

Stillriledup
10-13-2013, 08:08 PM
14 horse field in the finale with a NON slots purse. I have to admit, there's zero chance i'd run a horse that i owned at a non slots track in a 14 horse field. I know there are a few owners and trainers, would you ever run in a 14 horse field at a non slots track? Does that make ANY sense at all?

Mineshaft
10-13-2013, 08:20 PM
What difference does it make if its a slot track or non-slots track? You have me confused. Owners have to run to make money they cant make money in the stall. Maiden Claiming 20K running for a 20K purse is the norm at SA.

Stillriledup
10-13-2013, 08:40 PM
Because if you're an owner, why would you run at a non slots track? That's the question i was asking.

Mineshaft
10-13-2013, 09:03 PM
Because if you're an owner, why would you run at a non slots track? That's the question i was asking.

why would you not run at a non-slots track?

I don't care if its slots or not if I can win the race im putting my horse in.

Stillriledup
10-13-2013, 09:07 PM
why would you not run at a non-slots track?

I don't care if its slots or not if I can win the race im putting my horse in.

Ok, fair enough.

duncan04
10-13-2013, 09:09 PM

California racing would be dead if that was the case

Stillriledup
10-13-2013, 09:12 PM
California racing would be dead if that was the case

Its amazing to me how many Calif owners are essentially taking it on the chin financially just to keep this sport alive on the west coast. Racing in Cali would be exploding if they got slots, my god, it would be incredible. Hopefully one day they can get them.

gheuks
10-13-2013, 09:21 PM
I think loyalty to the track may come into play at times. Im not sure how Maryland racing survived over the years being surrounded by tracks with slots????

andtheyreoff
10-13-2013, 09:27 PM
Its amazing to me how many Calif owners are essentially taking it on the chin financially just to keep this sport alive on the west coast. Racing in Cali would be exploding if they got slots, my god, it would be incredible. Hopefully one day they can get them.

Come on, it's not like Santa Anita offers peanuts, especially when compared to its neighbors.

A non-winners of one other than allowance in SoCal, for example, goes for $51,000. The same race at Turf Paradise goes for $13,600. An OPEN allowance at Portland Meadows goes for less than $10,000. So they're not exactly taking it on the chin so much as they are taking advantage of purses that are way, way, bigger than anywhere else nearby.

plainolebill
10-14-2013, 12:05 AM
65k tri, dime super paid 32k :faint: