PDA

View Full Version : What do Jockeys get paid?

sammy the sage
10-13-2013, 07:27 PM
to be THE man for certain trainer?

ie...give up a live mount for another trainer just to ride for the main trainer?

Reason I ask...see Jacobson has brought in a NEWBIE to NY...from Arlington...wonder if he's making a change?

cj
10-13-2013, 07:28 PM
They get paid when they win. I don't think there is a salary for being the stable jockey or anything like that.

cordep17
10-13-2013, 07:48 PM
I think a lot of jocks want to stick with that lead trainer, even if it means not getting the best horse in every race.
Having a steady stream of horses to ride is probably a lot easier to manage.

Tom
10-13-2013, 09:22 PM
If I were a jockey, I would want my pole in the pond with the most fish in it.

Greyfox
10-13-2013, 10:38 PM
They get paid when they win. I don't think there is a salary for being the stable jockey or anything like that.

I think that you probably meant, "they get paid when the horse earns an in the money finish, possibly out to fifth place."
Otherwise, they also get a stipend, some more than others, for riding a race.
They get paid when the horse earns money, not necessarily whether it wins or not.
They get paid for morning actitivity as well.

cj
10-13-2013, 10:42 PM
I think that you probably meant, "they get paid when the horse earns an in the money finish, possibly out to fifth place."
They get paid when the horse earns money, not necessarily whether it wins or not.

Yes, I did. I figured that was pretty obvious. I'm also aware they get paid a fee just for riding in a race. It wasn't really germane to the question.

onefast99
10-14-2013, 10:23 AM
On the serious side it is a very dangerous job that most wouldn't attempt to do and for that reason alone whatever they make in the long run the risk outweighs the reward.

v j stauffer
10-14-2013, 01:02 PM

1st 10% of the owners share of the purse.

2nd 5% of the owners share of the purse.

3rd 5% of the owners share of the purse.

4th thru last. Jockey mount fee. Varies around the country. Roughly $100 in So. Cal. Slightly more in stakes races.

If a horse finishes second or third in a graded stakes often times the agent will send a bill to the owner "requesting" an additional 5% of the owners share of the purse. Most times it's paid.

Jockey's receive no compensation for morning work.

maclr11
10-14-2013, 01:15 PM
Some of the trainers require kickbacks from jockeys and agents as well to ride all of their horses
There's a couple famous examples of this for sure

nearco
10-14-2013, 01:44 PM
The big stables in Europe have their jockeys on a paid retainer. Frankie Dettori was reputedly getting a guaranteed over $1.5m at the height of his prowess with Godolphin. The Coolmore retainer was probably not far behind that.

lamboguy
10-14-2013, 01:52 PM
Some of the trainers require kickbacks from jockeys and agents as well to ride all of their horses
There's a couple famous examples of this for surethat really only happens with 2nd string trainers and riders. i found out a trainer once did it to me, i took the horses away from him immediately.

i usually have the same rider every time. in New York i have had Edgar Prado almost every time for years now. At the Mountain and Presque Isles i have used only Deshawn Parker. no kickbacks with either one of those guys.

maclr11
10-14-2013, 02:02 PM
The one I think of is Asmussen with the young riders he Goes to religiously
Think Santana, contreras etc. etc.
I'm sure he was getting something back

v j stauffer
10-14-2013, 02:41 PM
There's a couple famous examples of this for sure

Any jockey good enough to be worth putting on nice horses would tell the trainer to take their kick back and stick it.

Stillriledup
10-14-2013, 02:44 PM
1st 10% of the owners share of the purse.

2nd 5% of the owners share of the purse.

3rd 5% of the owners share of the purse.

4th thru last. Jockey mount fee. Varies around the country. Roughly $100 in So. Cal. Slightly more in stakes races.

If a horse finishes second or third in a graded stakes often times the agent will send a bill to the owner "requesting" an additional 5% of the owners share of the purse. Most times it's paid.

As a bettor, i'd love to be handed a hundred bucks for finishing up the track, but unfortunately, i only get paid if i win. :(

cj
10-14-2013, 03:40 PM
As a bettor, i'd love to be handed a hundred bucks for finishing up the track, but unfortunately, i only get paid if i win. :(

I don't think you are putting yourself in any real danger placing a bet, unlike a jockey.

TheEdge07
10-14-2013, 03:48 PM
Jockeys dont get paid enough.

Stillriledup
10-14-2013, 04:04 PM
I don't think you are putting yourself in any real danger placing a bet, unlike a jockey.

That's only true if i maintain enough money to keep a roof over my head. People who lose it all, sleep on the streets, that's pretty dangerous too.

iceknight
10-14-2013, 04:19 PM
There's a couple famous examples of this for sureI think a smart jockey can make the horse give the trainer a kickback after the race.. like literally

v j stauffer
10-14-2013, 04:22 PM

Sharp post.

ronsmac
10-14-2013, 04:36 PM
Probably not enough.

ronsmac
10-14-2013, 04:37 PM
Sorry Edge, I didn't see your post.I didn't mean to be redundant.

cj
10-14-2013, 04:57 PM
That's only true if i maintain enough money to keep a roof over my head. People who lose it all, sleep on the streets, that's pretty dangerous too.

Stop being ridiculous. I hate to go back to deleting most of your posts.

VeryOldMan
10-14-2013, 05:26 PM

Please stop.

I hope there is some level of sarcasm in there (danger level of jockey versus bettor?!), but you post often enough that it is often very hard to tell.

affirmedny
10-14-2013, 07:06 PM
When Bailey rode for the Sheikh, the rumor was he got paid the winning purse whether he won or not. That's how they got him to ride their horses exclusively.

Marshall Bennett
10-14-2013, 07:27 PM
If I were one of the nation's leading riders and had been for 5 or more years, I'd quit while I was still alive or not crippled for life.

v j stauffer
10-16-2013, 02:57 PM
If I were one of the nation's leading riders and had been for 5 or more years, I'd quit while I was still alive or not crippled for life.

Me too. However I've known enough of the elite riders to say I think they'd do it for free.

Being a fat guy I can only imagine the rush that comes from winning a big race or a nose and nose battle.

Other than in the majors most jockeys could make as much or more in much safer jobs.

Forgettaboutit. They wanna win races.

redshift1
10-16-2013, 04:45 PM

Question, so the exercise riders get paid and the jockey's don't for morning works?

Striker
10-16-2013, 05:09 PM
Reason I ask...see Jacobson has brought in a NEWBIE to NY...from Arlington...wonder if he's making a change?
I liked what I saw from this kid at Arlington this summer. He has some talent and smarts, hope it works out for him in NY.

v j stauffer
10-16-2013, 05:51 PM
Question, so the exercise riders get paid and the jockey's don't for morning works?

Correct.

beatsworking
10-17-2013, 03:34 PM
Originally Posted by redshift1

v j stauffer Correct.

The jockey also earns the right to ride the horse in the race.

onefast99
10-17-2013, 03:49 PM
The jockey also earns the right to ride the horse in the race.
Or say he doesn't like the way the horse feels and tells the other jocks to beware!