10-10-2013, 09:52 PM
Hello All! For Friday, 10/11, here are the tracks and races on Slew's mind:
Belmont - 1,2,3,4,6,7,9
SantaAnita - 3,4,6,7,8
Keeneland - 2,4,5,6,7,9
Woodbine - 2,3,5,7
Calder - 1
Meadowlands - 2,5

Today's comments will be graphic in nature, so the week knee'd amongst you should avert your eyes. Don't say I didn't warn you.

When I saw today's listing, I thought of socks. Or more accurately, sanitaries. As one who played baseball most of my life...I finally gave it up in my early 40's, some 20 years ago...I came across the requisite number of superstitious characters. So when I saw our two key horses for Friday, I thought of my junior year on the baseball diamond, when everything was in slow motion and the ball looked like a watermelon, just hanging in the air waiting to be smacked around. It was early on that a teammate...I sincerely hope he has recovered by now...suggested that I not wash my sanitaries until my hot streak was over.

Now, for those of you who think that baseball players always looked like they were wearing pajamas that drag in the dirt, think again. There was a time when you wore the uniform smartly & properly, amature and professional alike. In fact, each year the first lesson of the spring was how to properly dress yourself for the contest. This included the correct way to fold your sanitaries into your stirrups so they stayed in place. Oh...the sanitary was a thin white sock that you wore under your colored stirrup. Just look at some old footage, when men were men, and you will see what I'm talking about. Slobs were not tolerated like they are today. But I digress...

Well, as my hot streak dragged on, I would have to smack my sanitaries hard against my locker to break up the hardened dirt...caked mud when mixed with my sweat...to loosen the socks enough so I could put them on. Don't say I didn't warn you! On or about week 7...after so many games and practices...one of the sanitaries just simply broke into pieces. Unthinkable. After a leadoff single, I was promptly picked off. The spell was broken. The watermelon became a golf ball.

That brings us to our Key Horses for Friday:

Lily the Pink - KEE ( 7) SAR 09/01/12 # 4
Madame Giry - KEE ( 9) KEE 10/12/12 # 9

So what's the connection between mud caked sanitaries and these two horses? Everything. Check the results at Keeneland on 10/12/2012. They run in the exact same races, same race numbers, same stake, same track, same race day (10/12/2012 & 10/11/2013). Lucky for me I'm not superstitious. If the guy who suggested I not wash my socks saw this: his head would explode!

Lily has had a fruitful summer campaign, traveling from Keeneland to Arlington to Canterbury to Kentucky Downs with a win, two places and a show. While she has only won 3 races lifetime out of 18 starts, she is running well and "drops" into allowance company after two stakes starts. Can she win her 4th? Of course she can.

Madame Giry is no stranger to this space. She was the love of my life last year. This year, she has not shown the turn of foot that took her to 5 wins in a row last year, but her last two hint at a return to form as she won the Smart and Fancy Stake in Saratoga and the Jameela Stake at Laurel as the odds-on.

I'm hoping she hasn't washed her socks!

OK, so if you checked the results from last year, you see why my old sanitaries are relevant. As Key Horses last year, I singled Lily and the Madame, and used the all button in the middle. I broke my rule of not betting while I am working and for my trouble, I received $2163.40. American.

Can history repeat itself? It does in Washington. Every year. Why not Keeneland? And yes, the entire mess is one huge long shot. But do I have a choice?

I mean, this is one time that if it came in without being covered....my head might explode!

Enjoy the Friday racing...good luck and good 'capping! -