PDA

View Full Version : Pooping in the Post Parade

devilsbag
10-09-2013, 04:57 PM
Something that has been debated by horsemen and horseplayers for years is whether a horse pooping in the post parade is a positive or a negative indicator.

Some say the great Man o' War pooped heavily before the 1919 Sanford (reportedly as a result of eating Hattie's fried chicken) and then lost to Upset. Others point to Secretariat, who paused during the Belmont Stakes post parade and left a large deposit near the sixteenth pole. That pile was of course freeze dried and is now on display in the National Museum of Racing.

It's a topic that I haven't seen discussed in print since an article by Ray Taulbot in the August 1957 issue of American Turf Monthly, which advertised his short lived poop calculator, the predecessor to the pace calculator.

Stillriledup
10-09-2013, 05:00 PM
I would imagine they feel better after doing "number 2" so i take it as a positive. ;)

usedtolovetvg
10-09-2013, 05:04 PM
Never bet them. They just got rid of all the stuff that makes them run fast.

wisconsin
10-09-2013, 05:08 PM
No choice for neutral?

Hoofless_Wonder
10-09-2013, 05:13 PM
In Bill Veeck's book "Thirty Tons a Day", I believe he mentions that on average horses will poop seven times a day. If true, then I'm not sure I'd buy into the "horse must feel better" argument, 'cause when I'm pooping seven times a day I feel like, well, poop. :blush:

badcompany
10-09-2013, 05:19 PM
I find it to be an appalling example of anti-social behavior :mad:

Zydeco
10-09-2013, 05:39 PM
But wouldn't the horse be carrying less weight if he let go in the post parade? :)

098poi
10-09-2013, 05:39 PM
It doesn't matter either way. Now texting and pooping is always a bad sign.

Robert Fischer
10-09-2013, 05:42 PM
Fix yourself a strong cup of coffee, and have a few cups.

See what happens.

Hajck Hillstrom
10-09-2013, 05:46 PM
... until they pass the clubhouse turn, but not particularly fond of the passage on their way to load in the gate ... I'm sure it is a healthy release, but I know I don't want to run a mile (or 5 furlongs for that matter) immediately post bowel movement, and my understanding is that the energy utilized by a horse for this process is far greater.

I won't cancel the wager, but I don't find myself enthused by the process. :rolleyes:

Dave Schwartz
10-09-2013, 05:46 PM
Do horses drink coffee?

:lol:

infrontby1
10-09-2013, 05:53 PM
I mean, think about it for a moment; if you just pooped, would you be completely up to to running a 100 meter dash? I know I would just want to hit the couch and watch some races

Robert Fischer
10-09-2013, 06:13 PM
Do horses drink coffee?

maybe Mr. Ed :p

When they get stimulated, and ready to run before a race it can have that effect.

horses4courses
10-09-2013, 07:36 PM
Never bet them. They just got rid of all the stuff that makes them run fast.

Maybe it's time to lobby the DRF for a new PP notation?

TAD = took a dump between parade ring and gate

Tom
10-09-2013, 07:43 PM
I mean, think about it for a moment; if you just pooped, would you be completely up to to running a 100 meter dash? I know I would just want to hit the couch and watch some races

I run a lot faster on my way to do the deed than coming back from it.
Just saying.

Zydeco
10-09-2013, 07:56 PM
Just saying.

Good point!

FocusWiz
10-09-2013, 07:58 PM
If you believe weight is a factor (which they really seem to focus on in the Australian races I've watched), then getting rid of some excess baggage can only help.

jk3521
10-09-2013, 08:16 PM
Just saying.
If you were running they'd have to station a porto-potty at the finish line :lol:

thespaah
10-09-2013, 08:24 PM
I find it to be an appalling example of anti-social behavior :mad:

thespaah
10-09-2013, 08:25 PM
Do horses drink coffee?

And eat bran muffins...

thespaah
10-09-2013, 08:27 PM
I was told by a couple of trainers that they don't have any cause to be concerned when their horses 'empty out on the track'.

thespaah
10-09-2013, 08:30 PM
Just saying.
Which reminds me of a joke told by a stand up comic.
Concern:..Being stuck in a traffic jam and realizing you had for breakfast, two cups of coffee and a bran muffin.
Boy, this thread really turned to shit.

devilsbag
10-09-2013, 09:26 PM
I arrived in the bathroom, tablet in hand, with the odds on my post being deleted at 3-5.

What a pleasant surprise to see a taboo subject being discussed out in the open like this.

I'd like to shake hands with every one of you, after I wash of course.

Shelby
10-09-2013, 10:34 PM
WARNING TMI:

When I get really nervous, I have to do the run to the toilet....so....I take it a positive when a horse goes before the race. I can run much faster when I don't have to poo.

KidCapper
10-09-2013, 10:38 PM
I throw out the horse right behind the pooper in the post parade if they parade in a straight line......I never run well if there is poop on my feet...

Steve 'StatMan'
10-09-2013, 10:57 PM
I rememer a horse in Chicago from about 10 or so years ago named Wayne's Classy Girl. She pooped while running down the home stretch. Saw her do it twice during victories while leading by daylight.

Zaf
10-09-2013, 11:45 PM
Vernon Downs, a long long time ago, remember the horse number :2: and the driver (Dan Daley) was right on the fence and his charge decided to stop and take a dump right in front of me. Said to my buddy that must be some kind of sign, headed to window and bet $10 to win. Won paid $22 :lol:

Z

Some_One
10-09-2013, 11:46 PM
Treve did it at the gate before the Arc.

duncan04
10-10-2013, 04:09 AM
Depends on the consistency of it. If its solid it could be good and if its runny probably not so good :p

shouldacoulda
10-10-2013, 04:22 AM
Depends on the consistency of it. If its solid it could be good and if its runny probably not so good :p

Wouldn't want to be behind a "runny" one. :lol:

I was looking at past performances once and saw a horse that did not finish a race. I thought it got vanned off until I read the comments "emptied out". Didn't understand it at first. Pooping during the race is never a good thing. At least not for the bettors. I'm sure it's great if you're the horse.

iceknight
10-10-2013, 04:23 AM
What a pleasant surprise to see a taboo subject being discussed out in the open like this. I have always wondered about this topic and also about the other side of it. Do horses try to eat the grass on the turf course?

HUSKER55
10-10-2013, 04:40 AM
have you ever tried to do anything when you need to potty.

here is a check from publishers clearing house

and you really need to go :lol:

PICSIX
10-10-2013, 06:56 AM
Complete Guide to Claiming Thoroughbreds

"If your horse is warmed up enough before a race, he'll urinate and defecate, dropping five to fifteen pounds from his body before he goes into the gate. If he's warmed up properly, he'll inject enough red cells into his bloodstream to effectively double his oxygen carrying capacity. At rest, some 92% of his blood vessels are shut down and a long, vigorous warm up is necessary to open them all. Exceedingly few Thoroughbreds get a proper per-race warmup."

This is known as spleen dumping.

Valuist
10-10-2013, 08:23 AM
Its been years since I saw Joe Takach's DVD on horse body language. I seem to remember he addressed this briefly (shall I say he "poo poo'd it?). From my purely anecdotal evidence, I see it not necessarily as a problem but potentially a symptom of a problem. If the horse has shown signs of skittishness, difficult to saddle, fighting the groom in the walking ring, or kidney sweat, the dump can be further evidence the horse is nervous. If it happens when the horse is just walking in the saddling area, it probably means nothing. And somebody mentioned earlier, if its not solid, definitely not a good sign.

The post above mine is interesting, although toward the end it states "exceeding ly few thoroughbreds get a proper pre race warmup". That may explain why we don't see that many horses dumping right before the race. I wouldn't say its rare but certainly doesn't happen every race. I had felt that the closer toward the race it occurred, the more likely it was from nervousness.

BIG HIT
10-10-2013, 10:16 AM
When i was young man a old man said when they are in post parade don't bet them.Because they just ate.Can't say ever seen one win in 30 yrs playing horse.But can't remenber sh* t for last well don't remenber that ethier lol

thespaah
10-10-2013, 11:07 AM
I arrived in the bathroom, tablet in hand, with the odds on my post being deleted at 3-5.

What a pleasant surprise to see a taboo subject being discussed out in the open like this.

I'd like to shake hands with every one of you, after I wash of course.
Yes, please do.. Wash that is....

chadk66
10-11-2013, 09:05 AM
I think it needs to be a national rule that the track announcer has to announce if a horse craps in the post parade. After all it is information that any good handicapper should have access to.;)

Tom
10-11-2013, 09:09 AM
I think it needs to be a national rule that the track announcer has to announce if a horse craps in the post parade. After all it is information that any good handicapper should have access to.;)

And it must be weighed and reported.

brivolta
10-11-2013, 10:22 AM

On the other hand, I can't continue walking while I poop. So maybe it doesn't take as much energy for them as it does for us.

BIG49010
10-11-2013, 12:46 PM
For what it's worth in Jack VanBerg's book he talks about making them pee, before exercise, to prevent tie-ups. So perhaps good pee positive, big shit negative?

Vinnie
10-11-2013, 12:58 PM
When i was young man a old man said when they are in post parade don't bet them.Because they just ate.Can't say ever seen one win in 30 yrs playing horse.But can't remenber sh* t for last well don't remenber that ethier lol

I really must agree with BIG HIT! :) I have only been following racing for about the last 18 years and personally I have only once witnessed as I recall one horse win that evacuated his goods just before entering the gate... :) I know if I am watching a race with my wife, I normally say, uh oh, this is not good!!!

Very interesting topic.

chadk66
10-11-2013, 01:58 PM
absolutely. and the moisture content revealed at that time also.

Beachbabe
10-11-2013, 04:18 PM
This thread stinks. :faint:

Valuist
10-11-2013, 04:57 PM

And drug tested.

shouldacoulda
10-12-2013, 04:28 PM
Race 7 at Keenland today. I liked the :6: Watching them go in the gate I see the tail up on the :9: . Sure enough, half way into the gate he starts emptying out. I always thought it was a positive sign but I'm thinking it's too close to the race. Who beats me at the wire? The :9: of course, who is now a few pounds lighter with one thing less on her mind. :bang:

cordep17
10-12-2013, 07:18 PM
I've read that dogs will only poop/pee if they feel confortable with their surroundings.
Aside from them both being animals, I don't know why I think that trait is the same for horses, but I do.

jballscalls
10-12-2013, 07:31 PM
I have always wondered about this topic and also about the other side of it. Do horses try to eat the grass on the turf course?

I think with the ring or "bit" in their mouth, eating would be darn difficult.

PICSIX
10-13-2013, 08:36 AM

Also, most wear tongue ties.

Valuist
10-13-2013, 10:45 AM
Best advice about pooping during the post parade: go before you go to the track. Racetrack restrooms aren't the cleanest.

classhandicapper
10-13-2013, 11:49 AM
For guys that takes weight shifts literally enough to adjust their figures for 1 pound, I can't see why they wouldn't think a dump would win them the bob in a tight finish. ;)

iceknight
10-14-2013, 11:47 AM
thx.
Also, most wear tongue ties. yes, I think I am one of those guys who would not know the tail from the nose.. :blush:

jk3521
10-19-2013, 01:27 PM
Wired Bryan crapped in the gate! :)

thespaah
10-19-2013, 02:14 PM
Best advice about pooping during the post parade: go before you go to the track. Racetrack restrooms aren't the cleanest.
No lie there.

zerosky
05-17-2014, 03:58 AM
Geoffrey Hutson's book 'Watching Racehorses provides the following stats
where the variable is 'Dumping' :)

Number of starters 636, number of winners 52

With bigger fields in Australia it equates to an Impact value 0.97

It also states that a racehorse will shift about 40lbs per day plus around 2 gallons of liquid

horses4courses
05-17-2014, 08:37 AM
I try to stay on a morning routine myself. :p

BlueChip@DRF
05-17-2014, 09:30 AM
Something that has been debated by horsemen and horseplayers for years is whether a horse pooping in the post parade is a positive or a negative indicator.

Some say the great Man o' War pooped heavily before the 1919 Sanford (reportedly as a result of eating Hattie's fried chicken) and then lost to Upset. Others point to Secretariat, who paused during the Belmont Stakes post parade and left a large deposit near the sixteenth pole. That pile was of course freeze dried and is now on display in the National Museum of Racing.

It's a topic that I haven't seen discussed in print since an article by Ray Taulbot in the August 1957 issue of American Turf Monthly, which advertised his short lived poop calculator, the predecessor to the pace calculator.

I did that once and got thrown out.

BlueChip@DRF
05-17-2014, 09:32 AM
I've read that dogs will only poop/pee if they feel confortable with their surroundings.
Aside from them both being animals, I don't know why I think that trait is the same for horses, but I do.

Maybe the "alpha" is marking his territory?

magwell
05-17-2014, 11:23 AM
57 people voted.........:lol::lol:

jk3521
05-17-2014, 03:23 PM
:lol: :lol: 57 people voted.........:lol::lol:

therussmeister
05-17-2014, 05:17 PM
Whenever I'm asked about betting a horse that takes a dump before the race, I always reply, I prefer to bet a horse that gives a dump.

But, when I'm asked they don't use the term "dump."

olddaddy
05-17-2014, 05:21 PM
Thats an angle when I play the dogs, horses not really.

Tom
05-17-2014, 06:02 PM
Pooping in the Post Parade

OK if the horse does, but not the jockey!

bcgreg
05-17-2014, 06:49 PM
What about a boner in PP. Cal Chrome was at full staff at beginning of PP. Oh I forgot...Ria Antonia was nearby.

olddaddy
05-17-2014, 07:18 PM
What about a boner in PP. Cal Chrome was at full staff at beginning of PP. Oh I forgot...Ria Antonia was nearby.

Maybe Bo Derek?

tucker6
05-17-2014, 07:23 PM
CC was taking on all comers. (pun intended)

cj
05-11-2020, 05:29 PM
I remember this being addressed in Joe Takach videos. Anyone remember him?

His take was to watch out if it was runny, but otherwise a non-factor.

46zilzal
05-11-2020, 05:35 PM
It doesn't matter either way. Now texting and pooping is always a bad sign.

yes

BIG RED
05-11-2020, 07:47 PM
this is an oldy brought out of retirement .

My dear mother used to bet names when we went to the track together. If she saw a horse doing his duty before the gate, she would always bet them. She would have a good laugh :D
No, I didn't keep stats on how her poopy picks did. I believe in 'morning constitutions' myself, not right before I show up to work lol!

airford1
05-12-2020, 12:54 PM
Maybe Bo Derek?

Not even 6 years ago, you need new glasses

Tee
05-12-2020, 11:55 PM
Did ya see Maximum Security loading into the gate @ the Saudi Cup? ;)

Psychotic Parakeet
05-18-2020, 04:17 PM
I remember Stormello defecated stringy, watery yellow piles in the paddock prior to running in the Best Pal Stakes. He did it twice before heading out to the track. I took it as a negative sign, and placed a win wager instead on Principle Secret. Stormello held onto third place in that race. Something was definitely not going right in that gut of his, and it was ironic that colic did him in a couple years later.

Dan Montilion
05-19-2020, 12:14 PM
I'm not sure about horses releasing their bowels in the post parade. However, I have felt the need at times watching some rides and trips I have received.

Speedster449
01-24-2021, 09:32 PM
Once, many years ago at Oaklawn, I was going to bet a certain horse. I don't remember his name. He went, or should I say squirted, in the paddock. I thought that he must be sick so I bet my second choice to win. The sick horse won going away. Now I think that it must have been the food that he was being fed or the drugs that he was being given.

devilsbag
01-26-2021, 09:36 PM
Seeing this is like someone digging up your high school yearbook photo and posting it online.

airford1
01-28-2021, 05:28 PM
I remember this being addressed in Joe Takach videos. Anyone remember him?

His take was to watch out if it was runny, but otherwise a non-factor.

I Believe Joe is still working in the industry.

classhandicapper
02-23-2021, 09:17 AM
I'm not sure about pooping, but I'm pretty convinced there's a LOT of value in competent visual observation of horses in the paddock and on the track before a race. Unfortunately, I'm not competent at it and with no fans at the track it's a lot tougher on TV.

They are rare, but occasionally I see a horse that looks so ridiculously full of controlled energy it screams that the horse is going to run a huge race. I can't help but make a mental note of it when I see one. They seem to win WAY more often than their PPs suggest and often run lifetime tops. I don't have enough confidence in what I am doing yet to bet them. I bet only 1 so far (I think it was $4 to win lol), but the horse paid around $50. I saw one on Saturday and briefly considered making a small bet, but the horse seemed overmatched. He ran a new top and paid over $40. I can't believe what I am seeing has been random. I just don't have the skills to see anything other than the extremes.

Dave Schwartz
03-04-2024, 06:50 PM
OMG!
Stop the poll!

I mean, we've got enough bots to get this thread pooping... I mean popping again!

racenomics
03-04-2024, 08:09 PM
OMG!
Stop the poll!

I mean, we've got enough bots to get this thread pooping... I mean popping again!

Im sorry, the pool appeared, and ya know I just couldn’t help but vote

therussmeister
03-04-2024, 10:49 PM
I try and wait until after the post parade.

Dave Schwartz
03-04-2024, 11:20 PM
Im sorry, the pool appeared, and ya know I just couldn’t help but vote

So, you're a compulsive pollster?

Inner Dirt
03-04-2024, 11:57 PM
What I really want to know was the butt cover on the harness horse a reactive or proactive invention?

Tom
03-05-2024, 10:22 AM
I try and wait until after the post parade.

And security thanks you for that!
(TVG, too)

PaceAdvantage
03-05-2024, 11:13 AM
OMG!
Stop the poll!

I mean, we've got enough bots to get this thread pooping... I mean popping again!I recently was able to drastically cut down the number of bots...we'll see if they find a workaround...

I also closed the poll.

It's amazing how those bots NEVER SEEM TO CLICK ON ANY ADS...LMAO