PDA

View Full Version : Google sued for scanning emails

highnote
10-09-2013, 12:36 AM
Google is being sued because they scan emails and then post ads that are related to words that were scanned.

Mail2web.com also does this and I stopped using their service. You would think that email would be private, but companies can scan the contents of your email -- even when you login with your username and password - -which I always thought was somewhat secure.

I noticed that in paceadvantage.com private messaging the same thing happens. I PM'd someone and then a google ad appeared on the PA screen that was related to the message I had just sent.

PaceAdvantage
10-09-2013, 02:18 AM
I noticed that in paceadvantage.com private messaging the same thing happens. I PM'd someone and then a google ad appeared on the PA screen that was related to the message I had just sent.That's because Google tries to place relevant ads depending on what words appear on the screen.

They're good in that way...real time ads based on page content...if only racing were that efficient...

highnote
10-09-2013, 02:24 AM
That's because Google tries to place relevant ads depending on what words appear on the screen.

They're good in that way...real time ads based on page content...if only racing were that efficient...

This is also why they're being sued -- they're wiretapping without a warrant!

Think about it -- as you type on a screen they are able to scan what you are typing in a private message! Talk about invasion of privacy!

PaceAdvantage
10-09-2013, 02:27 AM

Think about it -- as you type on a screen they are able to scan what you are typing in a private message! Talk about invasion of privacy!They don't know a private message from a public message.

Their ads are placed in a template...that template loads each screen on this message board. The same template displays a private message that displays a public message.

All they are doing is reading what is on the screen and delivering what they think will be an appropriate ad for the subject matter displayed on the screen.

You are reading way too much into this.

I for one am impressed by the technology...able to analyze what will be displayed on the screen and deliver a relevant ad in the time it takes to blink your eyes...

highnote
10-09-2013, 02:34 AM
I'm not reading anything into this. I'm just saying they're being sued. Now, whether or not the suit has merit is another story. :D

I agree, the technology is impressive. However, I'm not impressed by the way in which they use it.

If their software can read the text in a private message then someone at Google can read the text. So it's not really private. So I can understand why they would be sued.

They don't know a private message from a public message.

Their ads are placed in a template...that template loads each screen on this message board. The same template displays a private message that displays a public message.

All they are doing is reading what is on the screen and delivering what they think will be an appropriate ad for the subject matter displayed on the screen.

You are reading way too much into this.

I for one am impressed by the technology...able to analyze what will be displayed on the screen and deliver a relevant ad in the time it takes to blink your eyes...

JustRalph
10-09-2013, 03:02 AM

Think about it -- as you type on a screen they are able to scan what you are typing in a private message! Talk about invasion of privacy!

That's not true. After the mail is sent through the server an algorithm is used to pick out key words and that is tacked onto your ad profile. It happens seamlessly and no human is involved in reading the email. It's an automated process. No person is reading the mail.

You agree to this in the terms of service when you enroll and activate a new account. They have been sued before for the same thing. They win every time.

PaceAdvantage
10-09-2013, 09:00 AM
If their software can read the text in a private message then someone at Google can read the text. So it's not really private. So I can understand why they would be sued.It reads the text of ANY screen on which the ads are placed on this website or any website. They don't know what they are reading is a private message or a public message.

highnote
10-09-2013, 11:23 AM
It reads the text of ANY screen on which the ads are placed on this website or any website. They don't know what they are reading is a private message or a public message.

It doesn't matter whether they know what they're reading is public or private. The fact that they are able to read a private message is the problem because this means a private message is not really private. Not that I care, but it private message is a misnomer.

highnote
10-09-2013, 11:30 AM
That's not true. After the mail is sent through the server an algorithm is used to pick out key words and that is tacked onto your ad profile. It happens seamlessly and no human is involved in reading the email. It's an automated process. No person is reading the mail.

You agree to this in the terms of service when you enroll and activate a new account. They have been sued before for the same thing. They win every time.

Doesn't matter that no person is reading it. What matters is that a person could read it. Kind of defeats the purpose of using a password, for one thing.

Just because a person agrees to something does not mean what they are agreeing to is legal.

Quagmire
10-09-2013, 11:38 AM

Isn't gmail a free email service on the google network? Why would anyone expect any privacy on gmail?

Robert Goren
10-09-2013, 11:46 AM
Isn't gmail a free email service on the google network? Why would anyone expect any privacy on gmail? It would probably best to think that any email you send or receive can be read by people that you don't want reading it. If you something to be private, you should use something other than email. I would have thought everyone would have figured that out by now.

highnote
10-09-2013, 01:24 PM
Isn't gmail a free email service on the google network? Why would anyone expect any privacy on gmail?

I wasn't necessarily talking about gmail because I don't use gmail -- although, they are being sued. I was mainly talking about private messaging on message boards. When you send a private message it can be read by Google's apps.

I'm not surprised it can be done, but I didn't know it was actually being done.

So "private message" is a misnomer because it's not really private.

That said, I was never comfortable using Mail2web.com to read my email because targeted ads were appearing on my screen related to the content of my emails. So I stopped using that free service.

I'm a person who believes that email and private messages should be private. You and some others do not. We disagree. I'm OK with that.

PaceAdvantage
10-11-2013, 11:22 PM
But they are private. Especially when considered in the context of this message board.

Point being, they are private because other members (other than the one you are writing to) can't read them.

And that's basically why you would use a private message on PaceAdvantage.com. To write something other members can't read.

Thus, it is a private message, in the truest sense of the word, as it pertains to PaceAdvantage.com.

highnote
10-12-2013, 12:28 AM
I'm not knocking the PM service on PA. For the most part, I'm sure the PMs are secure and that only the intended recipient can read them. I'm just trying to understand if there are any security flaws.

Some questions I would be interested in knowing the answer to is whether or not the Feds could read the PMs if a subpoena was issued or are the PMs not accessible to anyone even the owner/operator of the board? Are they encrypted in any way that would make them unreadable? Can a message board operator get access to any PM?

While the messages might be private; how secure are they other than just basic person-to-person security?

And I won't stop using the PM service just because some organization like NSA can read them. I'm just curious how things actually work.

But they are private. Especially when considered in the context of this message board.

Point being, they are private because other members (other than the one you are writing to) can't read them.

And that's basically why you would use a private message on PaceAdvantage.com. To write something other members can't read.

Thus, it is a private message, in the truest sense of the word, as it pertains to PaceAdvantage.com.

PaceAdvantage
10-12-2013, 03:34 PM
I'm not knocking the PM service on PA. For the most part, I'm sure the PMs are secure and that only the intended recipient can read them. I'm just trying to understand if there are any security flaws.

Some questions I would be interested in knowing the answer to is whether or not the Feds could read the PMs if a subpoena was issued or are the PMs not accessible to anyone even the owner/operator of the board? Are they encrypted in any way that would make them unreadable? Can a message board operator get access to any PM?

While the messages might be private; how secure are they other than just basic person-to-person security?

And I won't stop using the PM service just because some organization like NSA can read them. I'm just curious how things actually work.I can read private messages if I feel like it. But I am the only one. No other moderators can read private messages.

That should put the fear of God into you. And also protect MY ass...which as we all now, NEEDS protecting on here.

And yes, if the NSA came knocking, I'd give you up in a heartbeat.

Tom
10-12-2013, 03:44 PM

I preemptively reported YOU today. :eek:

highnote
10-12-2013, 04:05 PM
I can read private messages if I feel like it. But I am the only one. No other moderators can read private messages.

That should put the fear of God into you. And also protect MY ass...which as we all now, NEEDS protecting on here.

That's good to know. So, in reality, PMs are quasi-private -- which is true of just about every facet of internet communications. There are probably a lot of people who don't understand how vulnerable to eavesdropping electronic communications can be.

PaceAdvantage
10-12-2013, 04:09 PM
That's good to know. So, in reality, PMs are quasi-private -- which is true of just about every facet of internet communications. There are probably a lot of people who don't understand how vulnerable to eavesdropping electronic communications can be.If 1 person translates into semi-private, then so be it.

If ya'll think for one second I'm going to let people transmit private messages without some sort of check and balance (for instance, there have been MULTIPLE instances of people selling pirated software and books on this site via private message. When someone notifies me that this is going on, don't I have an obligation to check it out?)

As far as I'm concerned, it's private.

highnote
10-12-2013, 04:29 PM
If 1 person translates into semi-private, then so be it.

If ya'll think for one second I'm going to let people transmit private messages without some sort of check and balance (for instance, there have been MULTIPLE instances of people selling pirated software and books on this site via private message. When someone notifies me that this is going on, don't I have an obligation to check it out?)

As far as I'm concerned, it's private.

We're splitting hairs on the definition of private message.

On the one hand, private messages are private because, for the most part, only the intended recipient can read it. On the other hand, if someone other than the intended recipient can read it, then by definition it is not private.

I don't blame you for wanting to the ability to read private messages. You probably don't want to end up in a situation like Kim Dotcom.

On the other hand, people and companies like Kim Dotcom, PayPal, Napster, Google, Microsoft and Facebook make fortunes because they push the limits and then ask for forgiveness later.

thaskalos
10-12-2013, 09:08 PM
I can read private messages if I feel like it. But I am the only one. No other moderators can read private messages.

You can read our private messages?

And you tell us now? :)

tucker6
10-12-2013, 09:11 PM

And you tell us now? :)
yeah, about that closet thing. I hear there's nothing wrong with that... :eek:

boxcar
10-12-2013, 09:36 PM
Doesn't matter that no person is reading it. What matters is that a person could read it. Kind of defeats the purpose of using a password, for one thing.

Just because a person agrees to something does not mean what they are agreeing to is legal.

Highnote, if you want real privacy, use Hushmail and get your closest contacts to use it, too. This way the encrypted email never gets unencrypted until your Hushamail recipient himself opens it or vice versa if you're the recipient.

Boxcar

highnote
10-12-2013, 10:46 PM
Highnote, if you want real privacy, use Hushmail and get your closest contacts to use it, too. This way the encrypted email never gets unencrypted until your Hushamail recipient himself opens it or vice versa if you're the recipient.

Boxcar

Thanks, Boxcar. I don't have much to keep secret.

Vladimir Putin's office no longer uses computers -- they use typewriters. That should tell you all you need to know about computer security.

http://steveblank.com/2013/07/15/your-computer-may-already-be-hacked-nsa-inside/

Turns out, it's possible that NSA could be reading what you're writing even before you encrypt it. That would defeat the purpose of Hushmail.

PaceAdvantage
10-13-2013, 01:00 PM

And you tell us now? :)Oh, I've written on this board many times that this is the case...you just haven't been paying attention.

boxcar
10-13-2013, 02:12 PM
Thanks, Boxcar. I don't have much to keep secret.

Vladimir Putin's office no longer uses computers -- they use typewriters. That should tell you all you need to know about computer security.

http://steveblank.com/2013/07/15/your-computer-may-already-be-hacked-nsa-inside/

Turns out, it's possible that NSA could be reading what you're writing even before you encrypt it. That would defeat the purpose of Hushmail.

It's only possible if the NSA installed keylogger software on your computer. Then they could see everything you do on your machine.

Boxcar

highnote
10-13-2013, 06:35 PM
It's only possible if the NSA installed keylogger software on your computer. Then they could see everything you do on your machine.

Boxcar

The are a lot of interesting possibilities in the article:

The comments below the article are very interesting, too. Most people think the NSA would only install key loggers on targeted computers, not every computer as that would be too dangerous for the bottom line of chip makers, which are part of the military industrial complex.

However, I'm sure any foreign gov't is very concerned about the possibility of having their computers targeted; hence the reason for Putin's office to switch to typewriters. Although, I would think a closed network of computers would be relatively safe. Problem with any network is that data could be stolen from the storage system. The network could even be tapped into. Countries have hundreds of years of experience protecting their paper trails.

iceknight
10-13-2013, 07:15 PM
That's good to know. So, in reality, PMs are quasi-private -- which is true of just about every facet of internet communications. There are probably a lot of people who don't understand how vulnerable to eavesdropping electronic communications can be. To be fair.. long long ago.. emails were sorta "private communication". Today, they are similart to POSTCARDS.. almost anybody can read it. So to say that google is reading it, although theoretically they claim that only the algorithms read it. does not mean that google cannot read it. Don't expect privacy in email.

Don't expect phone calls esp on cell phones to be private (from the NSA)..

As someone noted.. Hushmail could be used...

For now, try to use telepathy for fully secure remote communication (with a low rate of message reaching your recipient).

Don't expect the privacy of telepathy to continue long (coming soon in the future).. your thoughts can also be read.. 1.9.8.4.

highnote
10-13-2013, 07:22 PM
Don't expect the privacy of telepathy to continue long (coming soon in the future).. your thoughts can also be read.. 1.9.8.4.

It probably is not as far away as you think. There are already systems that can see through walls:

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/133936-using-wifi-to-see-through-walls

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/100395-mit-can-now-see-through-concrete-walls

iceknight
10-14-2013, 09:22 AM
It probably is not as far away as you think. There are already systems that can see through walls:

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/133936-using-wifi-to-see-through-walls

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/100395-mit-can-now-see-through-concrete-walls Wow.. now that is some new technology!! thanks for the link.