PDA

View Full Version : NY Supreme Court orders NY State to drop charges against Lou Pena

Vinman
10-08-2013, 02:03 PM
Article dated 10/7 on www.ustrotting.com

The article conntains a link to the Letter of Decision by NY State Supreme Court Justice Vincent J. Reilly.

It will be interesting to see if Yonkers will be able to continue to ban him from their grounds. Jeff Gural bans Pena from The Meadowlands based on the principle of "private property".

Being that this decision is from the NY State Supreme Court, will any NY State tracks, including the ones Gural owns at Tioga & Vernon Downs, be able to decline entries from Pena regardless of whether or not he is allowed in person on their grounds?

Vinman

Stillriledup
10-08-2013, 07:00 PM
Why drop the charges against Pena but keep Dutrow out of the sport for 10 years?

baconswitchfarm
10-08-2013, 07:33 PM
Dutrow actually had positive tests. Pena was a minority who was singled out and targeted for his success. The case was never going to stand.

Stillriledup
10-09-2013, 02:07 PM
Dutrow actually had positive tests. Pena was a minority who was singled out and targeted for his success. The case was never going to stand.

You actually think race has something to do with this?

baconswitchfarm
10-09-2013, 02:37 PM
No. But in 2013 I know you can not make up new procedures to punish a minority that you will not apply to everyone else.

Stillriledup
10-09-2013, 02:44 PM
No. But in 2013 I know you can not make up new procedures to punish a minority that you will not apply to everyone else.

Everyone else? You mean there are more trainers who win races as prolifically and impressively as Sir Louis? To me, he seems like he's a cut above the rest, seems like he's on his own planet....now, i have to imagine that any other trainer who had 3 second "overnight" move ups would also get people suspicious... but Pena was otherworldly during his "run".

pandy
10-09-2013, 03:55 PM
Pena had something like 12 infractions on record, Dutrow had over 50. The other charges that New York tried to bring against Pena were a bit of a grey area.

Stillriledup
10-09-2013, 07:13 PM
Pena had something like 12 infractions on record, Dutrow had over 50. The other charges that New York tried to bring against Pena were a bit of a grey area.

1 infraction is 1 too many and when you are moving up horses overnight at the rate Sir Louis was, you get less "leeway" than a guy who's batting at 9% and has 3 horses average horses in his barn.

pandy
10-09-2013, 08:40 PM
But you have to prove it. Most of Pena's fines and penalties were from before he moved to the East Coast and had the amazing success. I hate defending him, but you can't suspend someone without proof.

wiffleball whizz
10-09-2013, 08:43 PM
Ask Jeff G if he's letting Lou or Gil or yogi in his new house......the answer is no sir!!

Stillriledup
10-10-2013, 12:03 AM
But you have to prove it. Most of Pena's fines and penalties were from before he moved to the East Coast and had the amazing success. I hate defending him, but you can't suspend someone without proof.

You mean proof as in a dirty blood or urine sample, right? Circumstantial proof only exists in real life law enforcement, but in racing, that type of proof isnt ever used to "convict" someone of cheating.

Or, is it?

Lance Armstrong didnt have a dirty test, but because he won so much and was so impressive, people pressed him until he cracked and admitted it. Lance beat many tests and if he was a run of the mill rider, nobody would have said a boo. When you are an all time great, people will be asking questions.

wilderness
10-11-2013, 10:34 AM
The court ruling was turned-over as a result of a technicality and has nothing to do with guilt or innocence.

The NY-ORC did not grant Pena a resolution and/or ruling within 30 days of his NY hearing.
Thus the court over-turned his suspension on those grounds.

More BS for the industry to face, because some lazy-ass NY-ORC offical didn't do their job.

Stillriledup
10-11-2013, 05:00 PM
The court ruling was turned-over as a result of a technicality and has nothing to do with guilt or innocence.

The NY-ORC did not grant Pena a resolution and/or ruling within 30 days of his NY hearing.
Thus the court over-turned his suspension on those grounds.

More BS for the industry to face, because some lazy-ass NY-ORC offical didn't do their job.

If bettors bet into tracks where "supertrainers" are allowed to race, than it just indicates that bettors don't care one way or another...and we know that that's not true. Bettors do care, so, i would suggest to "boycott" a place that lets supertrainers ply their trade.