PDA

View Full Version : JIM BAYLES STUDIES ON BEYER FIGURES

delayjf
03-16-2004, 12:24 PM
Noticed on ebay the other day that there were several studies by Jim Bayle of sportstat on the Beyer speed figures. One for turf, one for sprints, routes, layoffs etc. They are no longer listed, anybody taken a look at these before??

Inglewood Flamingo
03-19-2004, 02:02 PM
Delayjf, Yes, I have those studies Bayle did on the Beyers and while I haven't referenced them for quite a while they do shed some light on the figures. I am in Costa Rica on business as I am typing this and will be for some time. Hopefully I will be back in California before the Derby and if you want I can dig them out and send them to you then.

delayjf
03-19-2004, 02:18 PM
That would be great. Thanks
Jeff

Niko
03-28-2004, 06:12 PM
Do you have the one that compared the different speed figure makers (Beyer, Sheets, Thorograph, ITS)? I was always interested in those results.
Wondering if any were that much better or just different.

Inglewood Flamingo
04-02-2004, 03:01 PM
Niko, Yes I even think I have that one too. If I recall correctly Barry Meadow's Master Win Ratings faired the best of all.

Secretariat
04-22-2004, 07:51 PM
I was wondering if there have been any extensive Beyer studies recently in comparsion to the Bayle ones a decade ago.

Just curious. I imagine the ROI will be lower now, but am wondering if the win percentage is a bit higher as the projected variants should have slightly upped the win percent a bit.

delayjf
04-23-2004, 12:45 PM
Joe Cardello's new book might be the closest thing to what you want. Funny, all the animosity towards Beyers Turf speed figures, and they turn out to be more accurate.

andicap
04-23-2004, 04:31 PM
I'm not so sure I agree with Cardello's analysis on Turf figures.
there's one flaw in his survey: Turf races on average have higher-class, more consistent animals than dirt races. In New York there are no turf races under $35K for claimers.
No wonder Beyers are more consistent on turf than dirt -- you don't have to throw in all those crappy $10,000 claiming races in NY. Turf horses who are worth $10K on the turf have no choice but to race in dirt races where they might only be worth $5,000.

Tom
04-24-2004, 11:15 AM
andy...what do you call a "crappy" $10,000 claiming race at Finger Lakes?

A- The feature race! :D

cj
04-24-2004, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by Tom
andy...what do you call a "crappy" $10,000 claiming race at Finger Lakes?

A- The feature race! :D

Wouldn't that be the "Race of the Week?" :D:D

The good news is the money you win on those races spends just as good as the money you win on the Derby!