PDA

View Full Version : Interesting facts regarding Phoenix stakes winners

PoloUK6108
10-07-2013, 06:20 PM
Recently discovered some facts that I'm excited to share with people who might actually appreciate them. I've already mentioned this champion in a few of my previous posts, sorry I'm just proud of him. As we know, Sum of the Parts logged victory number 2 in as many attempts running in the Phoenix Stakes on opening Friday at Keeneland. While several horses have doubled up on Phoenix trophies in the race's long, prestigious history, Sum of the Parts was first to claim "back-to-back" in quite a while. However, not many years ago, there was one two-time Phoenix winner who set himself apart from the rest. A chestnut gelding from Florida.

Bet On Sunshine is the oldest horse (9 years old, second oldest was 7) ever to win what happens to be the oldest stakes race in the United States. The Phoenix at Keeneland dates back to 1831 at the old KY Assoc. track in downtown Lexington. The race was brought to Keeneland in 1937, and has been known as the Gr.3 Stoll Keenon Ogden Phoenix since 2011. Bet On Sunshine is also the only two-time winner to not win in back-to-back years, winning first in 1997 and four years later in 2001.

Furthermore, he is the only horse to ever run in the Phoenix three consecutive years, and five times in 6 years. In those five starts, he was ridden by 4 different jockeys, (Jose Valdivia Jr., Francisco Torres [twice], Robby Albarado and Calvin Borel) three times carrying at least 122lbs. His record was 2-1-2 of 5 starts, never failing to hit the board!

Bet On Sunshine - my grandfather's pride and joy, a Keeneland #FallStar long before the hash-tag era, and a flat out winner. Plain and simple.
"The Old Warhorse" 1992-2012

History of the Phoenix Stakes: http://www.keeneland.com/sites/default/files/shared/14658/Phoenix-Stoll%20Keenon%20Ogden.pdf

Bet On Sunshine's Equibase profile: http://www.equibase.com/profiles/Results.cfm?type=Horse&refno=1356008&registry=T

rastajenk
10-07-2013, 07:06 PM
I always liked that old guy. He was still kicking out wins when I was at Turfway for a couple years. Back then, seems to me, the Breeders Cup attracted regional stars more easily than now, and he was definitely a star from this region. :ThmbUp:

PoloUK6108
10-07-2013, 07:21 PM
I always liked that old guy. He was still kicking out wins when I was at Turfway for a couple years. Back then, seems to me, the Breeders Cup attracted regional stars more easily than now, and he was definitely a star from this region. :ThmbUp:

Sprinting was his forte, and he was tops around here for two or three years and hung around near the top his whole career. Once when I was with my grandpa backside at Churchill the son of a gun almost bit my fingers off while feeding him carrots at 4 or 5 years old, and I was about 5 or 6 at the time. He was feisty, if he'd been a bit more mellow he could've made a lot more money from the breeding shed. Its a shame he had to be gelded, he sure was special. The blue-collar veteran from the bluegrass state. :cool: