PDA

View Full Version : RTN. Recording and playback problem

Dan Montilion
10-05-2013, 04:55 PM
Anybody having difficulty rewinding and viewing while in record mode? Secondly, can not playback after recording. Anybody else having this problem? Been on hold with these melon heads at Dish. Was told it is the policy of RTN not to allow recording. When I asked when the policy changed they back tracked.

Dave Schwartz
10-05-2013, 06:26 PM
Dan,

I have not done that in a long time; not since I had RTN before Dish. Supposedly, I have DVR capabilities with Dishnet but I have never tried it. (We have cable for regular TV.)

Years ago, when I first got RTN, I used a video capture card on a computer, ran the sat cable into the computer, and recorded very easily.

I did it many times.

Dan Montilion
10-05-2013, 06:55 PM
Hey Dave,

Thanks for reply. It had been working on the DVR fine. Went on "tilt" yesterday. Just wrapped up two sessions on horn with Dish. Solution... A new receiver. And a pissed off middle aged, somewhat fat man. Oh well bitched enough to get a $45 credit.

thespaah
10-05-2013, 07:30 PM
Former Dish tech here..
To my knowledge, there are NO restrictions on DVR recording with any Dish programming.
Pay Per View movies and events may be a different story.
I will query on a satellite trade website and report back.
Please PM me anytime you have questions about your Dish service.
I will do my best to answer them and guide you through any 'off tracks'....
Ok I made a pun.... :lol:

BreadandButter
10-05-2013, 09:25 PM
I record RTN on to a Dish DVR multiple times a day. One problem I've had is in regards to something specific happening at a track that day/performance.

I.e., once at Belmont or Aqueduct there was a power problem and I could not rewind or record. Another time at Sam Houston same thing - power issue at the track resulted in me not being able to rewind or record.

So anytime you encounter an issue where you can't rewind or record try a different RTN channel (anything in the 9701 - 9750 range). If you can on any of the other channels it's an issue from the track.

Another glitch is that if you set your DVR to record a performance you need to be sure not to bump up the start time - if you do it too early - it won't record. Also you have to record each performance individually. You can't go in and say "record all" since the RTN programming is not coded by Dish.

thespaah
10-05-2013, 09:34 PM
I record RTN on to a Dish DVR multiple times a day. One problem I've had is in regards to something specific happening at a track that day/performance.

I.e., once at Belmont or Aqueduct there was a power problem and I could not rewind or record. Another time at Sam Houston same thing - power issue at the track resulted in me not being able to rewind or record.

So anytime you encounter an issue where you can't rewind or record try a different RTN channel (anything in the 9701 - 9750 range). If you can on any of the other channels it's an issue from the track.

Another glitch is that if you set your DVR to record a performance you need to be sure not to bump up the start time - if you do it too early - it won't record. Also you have to record each performance individually. You can't go in and say "record all" since the RTN programming is not coded by Dish.
If I understand this correctly, the "set it and forget it" manner is not possible.
For example, if you wanted to record the first race at BEL, you would have to use the record button for manual operation..Or, use the timer but for only the duration of the event itself?
Let's say you wanted to record Andy Serling's pre card show, you'd have to record manually?

Dan Montilion
10-05-2013, 10:15 PM
Spaah,

Thank as always for offering your knowledge. Two other players I know Have RTN/Dish and are having the same difficulty..

1) After recording is done and off record mode. Waiting in the menu to playback. When chosen screen flashes black and quickly returns to menu and reads playback complete. Mind you never seeing anything that should have been recorded.

2) While in record mode. Hitting the rewind button to watch a race over, it takes back to beginning of recording and freezes. No replay if you will.

Side note. Some channels work.

Dave Schwartz
10-06-2013, 12:18 AM
Dan,

FWIW, I used an older version of this:

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hvr2250.html

The software worked just like a DVR/VCR and created a capture file.

thespaah
10-06-2013, 12:28 AM
Spaah,

Thank as always for offering your knowledge. Two other players I know Have RTN/Dish and are having the same difficulty..

1) After recording is done and off record mode. Waiting in the menu to playback. When chosen screen flashes black and quickly returns to menu and reads playback complete. Mind you never seeing anything that should have been recorded.

2) While in record mode. Hitting the rewind button to watch a race over, it takes back to beginning of recording and freezes. No replay if you will.

I will check the thread I started on the satellite site in the AM...There are a bunch of real techies on there, so getting a straight answer should be a breeze.

BreadandButter
10-06-2013, 01:31 AM
If I understand this correctly, the "set it and forget it" manner is not possible.
For example, if you wanted to record the first race at BEL, you would have to use the record button for manual operation..Or, use the timer but for only the duration of the event itself?
Let's say you wanted to record Andy Serling's pre card show, you'd have to record manually?

If you wanted to record all performances for a particular track. You would need to manually go to the guide. For example if I wanted all the Mountaineer performances I need go to go the guide go to channel 9718 to 6:30 PM on Sunday and hit record, if I have the "start early" more than 5 mins or so I run the risk of it not recording and getting the black screen".

When the menu comes up to "create timer" - I have to choose "once" if I choose all episodes or new episodes - it won't work - I was told this is because Dish does not program these events.

Then I need to go through my guide to Monday, 10/7 to 6:30 PM and set it to record again.

Also under options - the "start early" and "start late" don't save even if I choose the "set as system default".

These aren't new issues - these have always been present since they went to Dish - of course RTN didn't offer DVRs prior to Dish.

BreadandButter
10-06-2013, 01:34 AM

I've only rarely encountered that issue and again it's typically if there is a power outage at that particular track on that day.

Every day I rewind to watch a race over while in record mode and then fast forward back to live tv.

BreadandButter
10-06-2013, 01:36 AM

This has only happened to me if I set the timer to start recording more than 5 mins in advance.

thespaah
10-06-2013, 11:05 AM
If you wanted to record all performances for a particular track. You would need to manually go to the guide. For example if I wanted all the Mountaineer performances I need go to go the guide go to channel 9718 to 6:30 PM on Sunday and hit record, if I have the "start early" more than 5 mins or so I run the risk of it not recording and getting the black screen".

When the menu comes up to "create timer" - I have to choose "once" if I choose all episodes or new episodes - it won't work - I was told this is because Dish does not program these events.

Then I need to go through my guide to Monday, 10/7 to 6:30 PM and set it to record again.

Also under options - the "start early" and "start late" don't save even if I choose the "set as system default".

These aren't new issues - these have always been present since they went to Dish - of course RTN didn't offer DVRs prior to Dish.
You may also set a manual timer by start and stop time.
Always choose "once" for your option for recording frequency.
BTW, have you connected an external hard drive to your receiver to store more recordings? Dish does offer this option.
The latest DVR, The Hopper, has a 2TB HDD but just 50% of the drive can be used for storage. You may wish to explore this option.

Dan Montilion
10-06-2013, 04:22 PM
So today the damn thing is working perfectly. 9707 RTN7 Santa Anita.

thespaah
10-06-2013, 04:24 PM
So today the damn thing is working perfectly. 9707 RTN7 Santa Anita.
Well good..

Dan Montilion
10-06-2013, 06:34 PM
Now it is not working. I give up! Will accept new box when arrives. However, a buddy that has RTN/Dish had same situation. Working early, was never turned off now the replay will not work now.

BreadandButter
10-06-2013, 07:57 PM
Now it is not working. I give up! Will accept new box when arrives. However, a buddy that has RTN/Dish had same situation. Working early, was never turned off now the replay will not work now.

Not too much running right now but I checked on what is running -

The rewind is not working on
9707 Santa Anita
9708 Fresno
9735 Hastings

However, it is working on

9718 Mountaineer
9719 Portland Meadows
9725 Los Al
9739 Balmoral

I have no idea what it's working on some and not the others>

Alc
10-07-2013, 06:46 AM
I have the Hopper. Cant find any way to set a one time recording using start and stop times. Also having problems getting the record function to work on the RTN channels.

thespaah
10-07-2013, 10:39 AM
Please post the steps you are taking one by one to start your recordings.
I might be able to assist with a solution or workaround.

thespaah
10-07-2013, 10:40 AM
If any one who is having issues wishes, you may PM me.