PDA

View Full Version : Why I hate TVG

Pages : [1] 2

Tom
10-05-2013, 04:46 PM
.....no chicklets at Belmont.
HRTV has chicklets, TVG no. :ThmbDown:

As someone who has never been a trip gut or a race watcher, besides my own bet, I find the chicklets very helpful and I am getting a lot more out of watching races than I ever did. The MSG show is a much more source of good handicapping information than ever before.

Some_One
10-05-2013, 04:54 PM
Do they show the Kee or Wo chicklets?

cj
10-05-2013, 05:15 PM
No, they just show them in a line.

Tom
10-05-2013, 05:38 PM
I like being able to see a move in the back and quickly look down and see who it is.

thespaah
10-05-2013, 07:40 PM
.....no chicklets at Belmont.
HRTV has chicklets, TVG no. :ThmbDown:

As someone who has never been a trip gut or a race watcher, besides my own bet, I find the chicklets very helpful and I am getting a lot more out of watching races than I ever did. The MSG show is a much more source of good handicapping information than ever before.
This is one my more prevalent gripes against TVG. The service uses their own graphics instead of track graphics. I HATE that..
If a track is carried on both, I watch HRTV. First, their hosts don't goof around on set. Second, HRTV does not hammer viewers with horizontal bets while for the most part eschewing straight and vertical wagers.
And I really cannot stand that really young guy with the "lisch" speech impediment. He sounds like he has a mouthful of life savers.

Tom
10-06-2013, 01:43 PM
Not chicklets, no lines - no nothing at WO today.
The TVG guy with the brain called in sick.

Tom
10-06-2013, 02:47 PM
Now they are there for WO and gone from KEE.
Amazing how incompetence runs wild.

thespaah
10-06-2013, 02:53 PM
Now they are there for WO and gone from KEE.
Amazing how incompetence runs wild.
Fine with me. TVG has gone down hill in the last few years.
It's almost as the service management has the on camera talent thinking they are more important than the racing action.

Saratoga_Mike
10-06-2013, 04:09 PM
I like being able to see a move in the back and quickly look down and see who it is.

Funny, I hate the "chicklets" - is that the official term for those annoying numbers floating around at the bottom of the screen?

Fingal
10-07-2013, 12:06 PM
This is one my more prevalent gripes against TVG. The service uses their own graphics instead of track graphics. I HATE that..
If a track is carried on both, I watch HRTV.

Isn't it amazing when someone thinks their wheel is better than the round one ?

thespaah
10-07-2013, 07:13 PM
Isn't it amazing when someone thinks their wheel is better than the round one ?
Amazing? Yes.. Even more accurately, astounding.
No one at TVG has ever responded to the emails I sent asking why the channel does not use track graphics.
That's in poor form.

Zydeco
10-07-2013, 07:25 PM
Also, no Turf Paradise on TVG? Thought the Paradise was a staple on TVG. Wonder who's fault this is?

Tom
10-07-2013, 11:18 PM
Not a good weekend for chicklets - off and on at several tracks.
The technology of Trakus is wasted on the ineptitude of racing.
Someone at TVG probably thought it was a Skittles commercial and turned it off.
Every day, racing just underwhelms me.

ultracapper
10-08-2013, 01:57 AM
The chatter is unbearable, they pat each other on the back all the way up to post time, never challenging each other. Paul gives you his pick, and 5 other horses that "have a look", Simon tells him "sure, your horse has a shot", Todd throws out some fantasy based on a decent 3/8s of a mile move in a race 4 back and how if the horse does that today, he could make some noise, and the other 2 don't say anything other than, "yeah, he could have a chance". I think the reason Nick Hines is gone is because Matty got tired of being told his choice wasn't going to do a thing. They are all useless. I can predict about 70% of the time which horse the kid is going to land on, his handicapping is so rudimentary.

But the worst of it all is they take absolutely no responsibility for the horses they promote. Time after time all three of them, regardless of which three it is, will beat on a favorite and say time and again, this horse really looks tough here, and after he gets beat, not mention a thing about it, as if they never even discussed the horse. The last race Saturday at SA, Smith, who was having a big day, was riding the 7/5 favorite. They couldn't get out of their own way talking this thing up, and after the race when it was nowhere, they made absolutely no mention of it. Zero. Absolutely zero. There was a race the previous week where they went on and on about how this horse was going to wire the field. The whole 20 minutes before the race was discussing if anything could go with it. Was there even a reason to look at anything else in the race? Every comment was how to bet under this sure thing wire to wire winner. Not only did the horse not win, not only was the horse not even a part of the race, but it broke about 6th and never even got within smelling distance of the lead. I mean right out of the gate, the horse was done. Not only was this frustrating because of the constant blabber about the horse, but to insist that the horse was going to get the front in that field without so much as the tiniest competiton from anybody else was so far off the mark, it was embarrassing. I can forgive poor handicapping, and this was the epitome of it, but then just moving on as if they never even considered the horse as part of the field, was just irresponsible to their viewing audience. Then about 30 seconds later, they're trying to get you to sign up for this or that so you can view their "expert" selections on the web site. The whole damn crew is guilty of it. They are horrid.

Pensacola Pete
10-08-2013, 03:46 AM
That's their job. It's what they're told to do, and if they don't do it, they'll be shown the door.

thaskalos
10-08-2013, 03:56 AM
Whenever I see them touting each other's website picks, I think of the days when we would watch those infomercials with the sports-betting touts...who would sit at a desk and shout their "bets of the year" at their dim-witted audience.

Pathetic... :ThmbDown:

ultracapper
10-08-2013, 04:14 AM
That's their job. It's what they're told to do, and if they don't do it, they'll be shown the door.

Which part?

JustRalph
10-08-2013, 04:53 AM
Which part?

The part where the hump multiple horses to get the most money put through their service......... carnival barkers and TVG are in the same union.

I used to love that channel back in the early days........

thespaah
10-08-2013, 08:25 AM
The chatter is unbearable, they pat each other on the back all the way up to post time, never challenging each other. Paul gives you his pick, and 5 other horses that "have a look", Simon tells him "sure, your horse has a shot", Todd throws out some fantasy based on a decent 3/8s of a mile move in a race 4 back and how if the horse does that today, he could make some noise, and the other 2 don't say anything other than, "yeah, he could have a chance". I think the reason Nick Hines is gone is because Matty got tired of being told his choice wasn't going to do a thing. They are all useless. I can predict about 70% of the time which horse the kid is going to land on, his handicapping is so rudimentary.

But the worst of it all is they take absolutely no responsibility for the horses they promote. Time after time all three of them, regardless of which three it is, will beat on a favorite and say time and again, this horse really looks tough here, and after he gets beat, not mention a thing about it, as if they never even discussed the horse. The last race Saturday at SA, Smith, who was having a big day, was riding the 7/5 favorite. They couldn't get out of their own way talking this thing up, and after the race when it was nowhere, they made absolutely no mention of it. Zero. Absolutely zero. There was a race the previous week where they went on and on about how this horse was going to wire the field. The whole 20 minutes before the race was discussing if anything could go with it. Was there even a reason to look at anything else in the race? Every comment was how to bet under this sure thing wire to wire winner. Not only did the horse not win, not only was the horse not even a part of the race, but it broke about 6th and never even got within smelling distance of the lead. I mean right out of the gate, the horse was done. Not only was this frustrating because of the constant blabber about the horse, but to insist that the horse was going to get the front in that field without so much as the tiniest competiton from anybody else was so far off the mark, it was embarrassing. I can forgive poor handicapping, and this was the epitome of it, but then just moving on as if they never even considered the horse as part of the field, was just irresponsible to their viewing audience. Then about 30 seconds later, they're trying to get you to sign up for this or that so you can view their "expert" selections on the web site. The whole damn crew is guilty of it. They are horrid.
Do you remember when TVG management decided it was a good idea to 'hide' the on camera people's picks to all except paying account holders?
The AHEM..handicappers would give out their horizontal picks( I doubt seriously if these guys were actually making these wagers) and there would be one of the races their picks were hidden. Then they would hawk the TVG Website and say the picks were a service available to only TVG Account holders...I think that policy lasted maybe a month or two...Jerks.
It was a about a 2 or three weeks into it that I decided TVG was headed to my "Liste de Poop".
I am ok with Lo Duca because he was a ballplayer who like to bet the races and has turned it into a bit of a career. And he is not over the top.
As for the rest of them....No thanks.

thespaah
10-08-2013, 08:28 AM
Which part....The inane banter and goofing off?
The back slapping "oh yes that horse has a chance too. I think you're right on it Simon".....
UGH...

wisconsin
10-08-2013, 09:41 AM
You can complain and hate the product, but what is the alternative? I'm not going to fork over any money for TRN when I have my own computer. These guys are no worse (or any better) than the paddock analyst at any given track. You can use mute if you want.

HRTV is no bargain either, unless you are sitting there with your computer so you know a race is about to come up.

olddaddy
10-08-2013, 09:46 AM
I use Tvg and Hrtv to watch races , nothing more. If one doesnt like the banter, mute the sound, if one doesnt like the selections, dont look. Two very easy solutions.

affirmedny
10-08-2013, 10:04 AM

I think you've hit on much of what irks me about them. The only part you missed is how in every race Simon tells you that the favorite looks "absolutely magnificent" on the track. That and all the mentions of "conventional dirt", what is "unconventional dirt"?

NJ Stinks
10-08-2013, 11:20 AM
The pathetic rhetoric of Todd Schrupp has got to be number one for me. Everything he screams as the last few horses enter the gate at Keeneland is enough to make a grown man barf. Talk about beating a dead horse.

Anybody who watched on Friday could not miss Schrupp tell us all day long how Keeneland is a horseplayer's paradise because no horse paid less than $10 to win! (Or at least until the 9th race.) Of course, paradise was lost on Sunday when 7 of the 9 winners paid less than $7 but Todd didn't seem to care about horseplayer's winning the lottery anymore. After all, this is Keeneland! :jump: :jump:

:rolleyes:

slammer895
10-08-2013, 11:47 AM
I like how they give their picks when the horses are loading into the gate.

Pensacola Pete
10-08-2013, 12:10 PM
Their job is to promote their website and ADW and look like they know what they're doing.

TVG isn't catering to most of the ones who hang around here. Most around here are hardcore horseplayers who look for the best deal an ADW has. Rebates. Rewards. Good interface. Their targets are casual viewers, newbies, lazy handicappers, young adults, recreational players. Those people won't remember who Matt or Simon or whoever picked last race because they're already on the next race. They want to be spoon fed selections. Not many serious players would use TVG's ADW. Nothing there that Twinspires doesn't have.

Their job is to avoid dead air, make each other look good, and give the recreationals a lot of plays. The only time they get serious is when their audience is hardcores like on Tuesday afternoons.

jahura2
10-08-2013, 12:56 PM
I agree, the inane chatter is what is tedious about TVG. i do not get HRTV so I cant compare the two effectively. I do have to admit that when Perloff is on I usually pay attention to what he says, he and Serling are the only on air handicappers whose opinions I will take in to consideration.

Fingal
10-08-2013, 01:15 PM

I think of the ones that were shown the door, or got tired of what they were told to be & showed TVG the door.

ultracapper
10-08-2013, 01:44 PM
I don't play New York, but Serling is the most responsible public capper I've ever seen. He's outstanding.

Vinman
10-08-2013, 01:44 PM
Last night, as usual for a Monday, with no announcer in sight, they couldn't even deliver live product with the usual background music till 11pm EST. They cut to some recycled material from Los Alamitos before the 10th race at Mountaineer. After all...who cares what the MNR late Pick 5 result is?

Vinman

ultracapper
10-08-2013, 02:05 PM
Do you remember when TVG management decided it was a good idea to 'hide' the on camera people's picks to all except paying account holders?
The AHEM..handicappers would give out their horizontal picks( I doubt seriously if these guys were actually making these wagers) and there would be one of the races their picks were hidden. Then they would hawk the TVG Website and say the picks were a service available to only TVG Account holders...I think that policy lasted maybe a month or two...Jerks.
It was a about a 2 or three weeks into it that I decided TVG was headed to my "Liste de Poop".
I am ok with Lo Duca because he was a ballplayer who like to bet the races and has turned it into a bit of a career. And he is not over the top.
As for the rest of them....No thanks.

I do remember, and it was silly to think people were going to pay for their picks. They learned that lesson though. Good for them.

duncan04
10-09-2013, 04:04 AM
I use Tvg and Hrtv to watch races , nothing more. If one doesnt like the banter, mute the sound, if one doesnt like the selections, dont look. Two very easy solutions.

I agree but if they did that then there wouldn't be so many threads bashing TVG. Its what keeps this site going. :p

Al Gobbi
10-11-2013, 09:22 PM
I have a pet peeve with TVG and it always involves Woodbine on weekends and also occurs tonight with Mountaineer. It has to do with showing the first X number of races then not broadcasting the final 2 or last race, the one in which has the most money riding on it in multiple race wagers, especially if there is plenty of time to show said races.

thespaah
10-12-2013, 01:02 AM
I agree but if they did that then there wouldn't be so many threads bashing TVG. Its what keeps this site going. :p
There is a difference between criticism and bashing.
Actually I think the term bashing is used by those with blind loyalty to a person or entity, whenever their favored person or entity is criticized in any fashion, they term it as "bashing"..
I think the observations offered here regarding TVG are legitimate.

duncan04
10-12-2013, 02:49 AM
There is a difference between criticism and bashing.
Actually I think the term bashing is used by those with blind loyalty to a person or entity, whenever their favored person or entity is criticized in any fashion, they term it as "bashing"..
I think the observations offered here regarding TVG are legitimate.

Ok I admit bashing may have been a wrong choice of words to use. But just think how many threads there have been on TVG this or that. :rolleyes: That was my point if nothing else

kingfin66
10-12-2013, 02:58 AM
As much as I hate to do it, I must pile on. I do not normally get to watch TVG because I have a job and not much free time to watch. This week and next, however, I am home recovering from knee surgery and get to watch. I don't know if the types of things that I am seeing are typical, but they really annoy me.

Everybody knows that TVG pumps the pick 4, 5, and 6 bets, but I noticed that their "experts" give the picks out about 1 or 2 minutes before post time of the first leg. How do they expect those who play the picks - do people play the picks? - to get the bet in?

Also, the analysts are all obliged to give out selections, or so it seems, but why do they always do it when the horses are almost fully loaded in the gate? Is that normal for them to do?

TVG is using/promoting the TimeformUS product, which is well and good. Of course, a feature of that product is the Pace Projector. Today, prior to the 9th/feature race, TVG put up the Pace Proj graphic which included the numerous scratched horses. Todd T. began a diatribe about how Timeform needed to get that changed because it was not showing an accurate picture. I know that Timeform updates scratches frequently, so it seems to me that they updating needs to take place with the TVG production department.

On the bright side, TVG has a young man working for them who has a good stage presence and seems to know a lot about horse racing from a historical perspective. His name is Caleb something. I have no idea if he is a good handicapper or not, but he seems like he would be good for the network if they give him a big enough role. Schrupp was fawning over him to the point where it got a little bit creepy.

Tom
10-12-2013, 10:12 AM
Hey king...hope you're feeling better. :ThmbUp:
At least you picked a good time on the racing calendar to have some down time.

thespaah
10-12-2013, 10:41 AM
Ok I admit bashing may have been a wrong choice of words to use. But just think how many threads there have been on TVG this or that. :rolleyes: That was my point if nothing else
I agree. However, the general consensus appears to be TVG delivers a less than desirable product.

kingfin66
10-12-2013, 12:38 PM
Hey king...hope you're feeling better. :ThmbUp:
At least you picked a good time on the racing calendar to have some down time.

Thanks Tom. It also helps to have football this weekend. Monday and Tuesday will be the difficult days.

wonatthewire1
10-12-2013, 12:52 PM
might want to check the video feed instead of Tvg's odds

have been showing ML up to post time on several tracks...and its early
:p

Tom
10-12-2013, 04:33 PM
Face it, TVG deserves the ridicule they get.
Chicklets are missing, even the bottom straight numbers are not there half the time. It is one thing to hire blooming idiots for your on-air people, designed to draw in the young drunker market....but they seriously lack the people behind the scenes who are supposed to know what they are doing.

Stillriledup
10-12-2013, 06:53 PM
Loduca the steroid cheat is still at tvg spewing his nonsense. Talking about a foul that didnt affect the outcome he's championing that "A foul is a foul".

Needless to say, SRU downs in house commentator job will NOT be filled by paulie the cheater.

wisconsin
10-12-2013, 07:30 PM
Loduca the steroid cheat is still at tvg spewing his nonsense. Talking about a foul that didnt affect the outcome he's championing that "A foul is a foul".

Needless to say, SRU downs in house commentator job will NOT be filled by paulie the cheater.

Huh? He was quoting someone else, and he made that comment after there was no change. He said right away that there would be no change even before the inquiry was posted.

The Hawk
10-12-2013, 08:21 PM
I have to admit though, when you watch Belmont on HRTV vs TVG the picture quality is vastly superior on TV.

Beachbabe
10-12-2013, 08:25 PM
I have to admit though, when you watch Belmont on HRTV vs TVG the picture quality is vastly superior on TV.

I get both those channels on TV, so which channel are you talking about?

Stillriledup
10-12-2013, 09:01 PM
Huh? He was quoting someone else, and he made that comment after there was no change. He said right away that there would be no change even before the inquiry was posted.

He said numerous times that "a foul is a foul" before the inquiry was settled. We must have been watching different channels.

mannyberrios
10-12-2013, 09:10 PM
Face it, TVG deserves the ridicule they get.
Chicklets are missing, even the bottom straight numbers are not there half the time. It is one thing to hire blooming idiots for your on-air people, designed to draw in the young drunker market....but they seriously lack the people behind the scenes who are supposed to know what they are doing.
You are not full of it

Show Me the Wire
10-12-2013, 09:15 PM
He said numerous times that "a foul is a foul" before the inquiry was settled. We must have been watching different channels.

Quoting Ron Ellis. Lo Duca stated according to the SoCal ruling standard there would be no change since the fouled horse was not cost a placing.

cj's dad
10-12-2013, 09:58 PM
If you bet 100 races or a 1000 races, the most you pay is $20 per month. Try going to the track and spending less.

Shelby
10-12-2013, 10:01 PM
TVG is the only channel I can get, so no way, no how am I going to knock them. I'm simply grateful that I can watch here in Kansas.

The Hawk
10-12-2013, 10:16 PM
I get both those channels on TV, so which channel are you talking about?

Sorry, left off the "G". The picture quality is vastly superior on TVG.

Tom
10-12-2013, 10:37 PM
Yes, better pictures, but no chicklets or any graphics many races, an all the time - idiot chatter. of Low-Duca hitting balls in to the infield pond - gripping TV, a has been trying to be a still is.

thespaah
10-13-2013, 01:09 AM
Not so much anymore.

thespaah
10-13-2013, 01:13 AM
So a foul is NOT a foul..
Thanks for the clarification.

Genjoi
10-13-2013, 02:37 AM
About the only things I like on TVG is The Quarters and the the Japan racing.

Stillriledup
10-13-2013, 02:42 AM
So a foul is NOT a foul..
Thanks for the clarification.

Context my man, context.

wiffleball whizz
10-13-2013, 04:17 AM
If you bet 100 races or a 1000 races, the most you pay is $20 per month. Try going to the track and spending less.

Keep justifying the $20 a month.....it's thievery

We bet they rip us with takeout And you give this $20 a week speech!!!

To be honest I think they did away with the .25 service fee

The Hawk
10-13-2013, 09:55 AM
Not so much anymore.

I watched it yesterday. HRTV had much better graphics, as Tom pointed out, but the picture quality was horrendous, extremely blurry and in sharp contrast to the clear picture on TVG.

Tom
10-13-2013, 10:52 AM
TVG and HRTV remind me of an old joke.
Never hire a half-wit. Hire two, and you should be OK.

usedtolovetvg
10-14-2013, 09:23 AM
Since Betfair bought TVG, they have had a much different agenda other than worrying about the ADW and the television product. Stephen Burn has been focused completely on the implementation of Exchange Wagering. They care so little about the tv side, when they s***-canned their incompetent VP in charge of it, they didn't even replace him. TVG is rapidly losing market share to their two major competitors. It is amazing to me that the new BF management team continues to pour money into this failed U.S. venture.

thespaah
10-14-2013, 11:12 AM
I watched it yesterday. HRTV had much better graphics, as Tom pointed out, but the picture quality was horrendous, extremely blurry and in sharp contrast to the clear picture on TVG.
I suppose if you are viewing HRTV on a flat panel TV set to 1080p, any artifacts will become accentuated.
I view it in 480p on purpose. This gives me a better pic quality because the pixel density is not as high.
I still prefer HRTV to TVG because HRTV's hosts are better. They are better handicappers. They don't goof around. They don't ram horizontal bets down the throats of viewers and they use the track supplied graphics.
If a track is available on both TVG and HRTV, I am watching HRTV 100% of the time.

Tom
10-14-2013, 11:18 AM
With the chicklets, I can take the diminished picture at HRTV.
Is ent some emails to TVG this weekend asking them to STFC! if you get my drift.

The Hawk
10-15-2013, 10:04 PM
I suppose if you are viewing HRTV on a flat panel TV set to 1080p, any artifacts will become accentuated.
I view it in 480p on purpose. This gives me a better pic quality because the pixel density is not as high.
I still prefer HRTV to TVG because HRTV's hosts are better. They are better handicappers. They don't goof around. They don't ram horizontal bets down the throats of viewers and they use the track supplied graphics.
If a track is available on both TVG and HRTV, I am watching HRTV 100% of the time.

I agree. I was speaking strictly in terms of picture quality.

Stillriledup
10-17-2013, 07:28 PM
Is it my imagination or does TVG constantly show highlights of classic races and recently run grade 1 races? I just watched a stretch run of Z vs Blame and i'm thinking "how is this going to help me win money today or in the near future" ?

There has to be something else they could show that might help the handicapper who's interested in betting the 2nd at Chucktown or the 8th at SA, but instead they choose to show some highlight from a few years ago.

Shelby
10-17-2013, 07:38 PM
Is it my imagination or does TVG constantly show highlights of classic races and recently run grade 1 races? I just watched a stretch run of Z vs Blame and i'm thinking "how is this going to help me win money today or in the near future" ?

There has to be something else they could show that might help the handicapper who's interested in betting the 2nd at Chucktown or the 8th at SA, but instead they choose to show some highlight from a few years ago.

Well, right now they are showing a bunch of highlights of older races from Breeder's Cups.

Obviously, because the BC is coming up.

Stillriledup
10-17-2013, 07:45 PM
Well, right now they are showing a bunch of highlights of older races from Breeder's Cups.

Obviously, because the BC is coming up.

Z and Blame are retired, how does a highlight of that race help bettors a few weeks from now?

taxicab
10-17-2013, 07:47 PM

Agree.
True handicapping information would be better.
Analyze the race, replays of horses in the race....
Stuff like that could be helpful.

Shelby
10-17-2013, 07:58 PM
Z and Blame are retired, how does a highlight of that race help bettors a few weeks from now?

It's not meant to help...it's meant to re-live great moments of the past.

Obviously when the fields are more known for BC they will help handicap more.

Tom
10-17-2013, 10:07 PM
The BS is not about the bettors.
Never was.

Just like the Ky Derby is all about pink hats.
Horse racing is not for horse players.

Stillriledup
10-17-2013, 11:07 PM
The BS is not about the bettors.
Never was.

Just like the Ky Derby is all about pink hats.
Horse racing is not for horse players.

Amazing post. Couldnt agree more.

Stillriledup
03-01-2014, 04:57 PM
What's with the logo blocking the view of the final race today(march 1) from Aqueduct.

Cmon man.

Stillriledup
03-12-2014, 02:31 AM
So, fill me in on this, TVG offered a promotion of double odds on the BIG cap if your pick won by 2 lengths or more.....so, the horse won by 2 lengths (at least) and Equibase made a mistake and charted the win as 1 3/4ths....just wondering if TVG honored the 2 length payout, or they kind of looked the other way and pretended that 1 3/4 was the real margin?

Anyone know?

cj
03-12-2014, 09:26 AM
So, fill me in on this, TVG offered a promotion of double odds on the BIG cap if your pick won by 2 lengths or more.....so, the horse won by 2 lengths (at least) and Equibase made a mistake and charted the win as 1 3/4ths....just wondering if TVG honored the 2 length payout, or they kind of looked the other way and pretended that 1 3/4 was the real margin?

Anyone know?

They don't make mistakes on finish beaten lengths, the photo system does those. Could be a typo, but it would be corrected. Big reach dude.

PaceAdvantage
03-12-2014, 09:28 AM
sure looked like a solid 2 lengths to this eyeball

cj
03-12-2014, 10:48 AM
sure looked like a solid 2 lengths to this eyeball

At the wire, photos translate the difference in finish times to beaten lengths. On a very fast track, that time was probably smaller than the eyeball would make you think it was.

BlueShoe
03-12-2014, 11:03 AM
I think of the ones that were shown the door, or got tired of what they were told to be & showed TVG the door.
Has any former TVG employee ever spoken about their time there about the policies they were required to follow? An expose type of thing? Or perhaps they were required to sign a non divulgence contract that prevents them from talking?

cj
03-12-2014, 11:04 AM
At the wire, photos translate the difference in finish times to beaten lengths. On a very fast track, that time was probably smaller than the eyeball would make you think it was.

I did the video work, and there is nothing to see here. The distance is reported correctly, consistent with the method that is used for all other races.

PaceAdvantage
03-12-2014, 04:43 PM
I did the video work, and there is nothing to see here. The distance is reported correctly, consistent with the method that is used for all other races.OK, cool. Was watching the race live, and knew about the TVG offer...and remember thinking to myself that it definitely looks like TVG was going to have to pay out.

cj
03-12-2014, 05:04 PM
OK, cool. Was watching the race live, and knew about the TVG offer...and remember thinking to myself that it definitely looks like TVG was going to have to pay out.

To be fair, the difference was about 2 hundredths of a second.

Stillriledup
03-12-2014, 07:18 PM
They don't make mistakes on finish beaten lengths, the photo system does those. Could be a typo, but it would be corrected. Big reach dude.

So its closer to 2 lengths than it is to 1 and 3/4ths, correct?

If so, than 1 and 3/4s is not the correct margin....and if they "round off" why not round off to 2 lengths rather than 1 and 3/4ths?

tanner12oz
03-12-2014, 08:07 PM
I hate that they move on to the next race way to quick..if its anything other then California they don't exactly wrap up the races...live race, replay stretch wash rinse repeat...they are an adw so I understand but it would be great for some more technical aspects of the races

Stillriledup
03-12-2014, 08:17 PM
I hate that they move on to the next race way to quick..if its anything other then California they don't exactly wrap up the races...live race, replay stretch wash rinse repeat...they are an adw so I understand but it would be great for some more technical aspects of the races

People want them to move on....and the reason is that what if you are sitting home and you arent betting Oaklawn or Tampa and you are betting SA or something else, hearing analysis on an Oaklawn or Tampa race isnt going to do you any good, you want them to get to the track that YOU are playing. I like them zipping to the next race, i DVR all the TVG shows and refer back to them on occasion for future handicapping, i want to see as many races as they can show.

cj
03-12-2014, 10:15 PM
So its closer to 2 lengths than it is to 1 and 3/4ths, correct?

If so, than 1 and 3/4s is not the correct margin....and if they "round off" why not round off to 2 lengths rather than 1 and 3/4ths?

I'm not going to get into this kind of silly debate. All I said was there is no discussion here involving the beaten lengths, it was done as it is always done, every track, every day.

Stillriledup
03-12-2014, 10:39 PM
I'm not going to get into this kind of silly debate. All I said was there is no discussion here involving the beaten lengths, it was done as it is always done, every track, every day.

I don't see anything silly about it. The horse lost by 2 lengths, they put 1.75 lengths, you say the horse lost by 1.98 lengths (or something equivalent) so it seems that they "round off" the margins since they use fractions of 1/4th, 1/2, 3/4ths as the splits. My question was why not round off to 2 lengths if its closer to 2 than 1 and 3/4ths?

wisconsin
03-12-2014, 11:22 PM
I don't see anything silly about it. The horse lost by 2 lengths, they put 1.75 lengths, you say the horse lost by 1.98 lengths (or something equivalent) so it seems that they "round off" the margins since they use fractions of 1/4th, 1/2, 3/4ths as the splits. My question was why not round off to 2 lengths if its closer to 2 than 1 and 3/4ths?

Because it was at least 1 and 3/4 but not quite 2 lengths. Seems pretty cut and dry.

Valuist
03-12-2014, 11:35 PM
We could make a board game for this. Remember those old games where a spinning arrow would land on one of many choices? I think the biggest area to land on would be not televising live racing. Giving too many Pic 4s could be another choice. Having a live interview from a maiden claiming race in California while a stakes race somewhere else gets put on tape delay would also be a popular choice.

Stillriledup
03-13-2014, 06:03 AM
Because it was at least 1 and 3/4 but not quite 2 lengths. Seems pretty cut and dry.

What is this, the Price is right, where if you go "over" you lose?

Its a game about accurate information, lots of detailed threads on run up times and the 7 1/2 Turf routes at Gulfstream being races at more than a mile, this is a similar situation in that players want accurate information, if a horse wins a race by 1.98 lengths, its more accurate to give him a 2 length win, than a 1.75 win.

Since they arent going to say a horse won by 1 and 98/100ths of a length, they "round it off" to 1.75?

cj
03-13-2014, 08:58 AM
You said 1.98, not me. It wasn't that close. Time is translated to distance. I used time. This seems beyond your grasp which is why I didn't want to get into it.

Stillriledup
03-13-2014, 09:26 PM
You said 1.98, not me. It wasn't that close. Time is translated to distance. I used time. This seems beyond your grasp which is why I didn't want to get into it.

In the first race on Big Cap day, the winner satirical finished in 102.89. The runner up finished in 103.26, a difference of .37 (according to Trakus)

Satirical was credited with a 2 length win on Equibase.

Game On Dude beat WTC by .34 according to Trakus.

So, 3/100ths is equal to a quarter length?

thaskalos
03-13-2014, 10:35 PM
What is this, the Price is right, where if you go "over" you lose?

Its a game about accurate information, lots of detailed threads on run up times and the 7 1/2 Turf routes at Gulfstream being races at more than a mile, this is a similar situation in that players want accurate information, if a horse wins a race by 1.98 lengths, its more accurate to give him a 2 length win, than a 1.75 win.

Since they arent going to say a horse won by 1 and 98/100ths of a length, they "round it off" to 1.75?

Why not?

If a quarter is run in 22.99...it is rounded down to 22.80

cj
03-14-2014, 12:39 AM
In the first race on Big Cap day, the winner satirical finished in 102.89. The runner up finished in 103.26, a difference of .37 (according to Trakus)

Do you really think they use the same value for a length at 5.5f that they do at 10? At least you've come around from thinking .02 seconds was = .02 lengths, i.e one length = one second.

In the time you've spent typing out posts in this thread, you could have done the work and figured out the values for a length. It is ok to do things for yourself sometimes. You learn a lot better that way than you do being spoon fed everything.

ultracapper
03-16-2014, 04:00 AM
Why not?

Exactly. Everything is rounded down.

Stillriledup
03-16-2014, 04:46 AM

Satirical listed as having won in 103 according to DRF.

Stillriledup
03-16-2014, 04:49 AM
Why not?

Numbers guys are screaming from Mt Everest about run up times, but nobody cares if .19 is just lopped off an internal fraction?

cj
03-16-2014, 02:41 PM
Numbers guys are screaming from Mt Everest about run up times, but nobody cares if .19 is just lopped off an internal fraction?

Races are timed in hundredths now, hard to believe you don't know that much. For the record, I was complaining about it back when races were reported in fifths. I guess you missed that change a decade ago?

cj
03-16-2014, 02:42 PM
Satirical listed as having won in 103 according to DRF.

If he finished in less than 1:03, it would not be reported as 1:03.

Stillriledup
05-03-2014, 08:41 PM
Nice job TVG, horses flip in the gate (race 11 SA today) and they'll cut away, you know they don't care that bettors are watching and want to know whats happening at the gate, so they can make adjustments to their bets and whatnut.

The T in TVG doesn't stand for transparency. Funny how Nick Hines is talking about using the "Cancel wager" and yet, they cut away from the gate.

:bang:

thespaah
05-03-2014, 08:55 PM
[QUOTE=Stillriledup]Nice job TVG, horses flip in the gate (race 11 SA today) and they'll cut away, you know they don't care that bettors are watching and want to know whats happening at the gate, so they can make adjustments to their bets and whatnut.

The T in TVG doesn't stand for transparency. Funny how Nick Hines is talking about using the "Cancel wager" and yet, they cut away from the gate.

:bang:[/QUOTE
If one is stuck with TVG because their provider sends then TVG is it time to bite the bullet and go with RTN or RTN on line

wisconsin
05-03-2014, 09:51 PM
TVG anchors feel the need to be the apologists for the sport, acting so remorseful when something happens...

SandyW
05-03-2014, 10:59 PM
I often wonder what the combined ROI figure is at TVG.

Is there a minus number that low ?

Stillriledup
05-05-2014, 06:06 PM
I don't want to start a new thread on this, but has anyone ever gotten an "update" on a stricken horse? Seems like the people on the desk make this promise that they will "find out" what happened to the horse and yet, i never hear them come back an hour or 2 later and say "so and so didnt make it, they were euthanized on the track".

TVG seems to be quick to pan away from a horse who is acting up badly in the gate, but they're going to come back an hour later and say "so and so was euthanized"?

I dont remember them doing this for an overnight type of horse...now, if it was barbaro or someone really famous, they're going to give updates, but those are updates that are widely available, we don't need TVG talking heads to give them.

So, has anyone seen or heard that TVG will "update" the condition of horses who pulled up in the lane?

On Apr 27th in the 2nd race at SA, a horse pulled up and Simon Bray said we will have to update you on that horse's condition?

Did they ever update it?

I want to get to the bottom of this, dont say you're going to "update' the condition of a stricken runner if you dont actually do it.

duncan04
05-05-2014, 07:32 PM
TVG seems to be quick to pan away from a horse who is acting up badly in the gate, but they're going to come back an hour later and say "so and so was euthanized"?

I don't think TVG has any control of that. Aren't they going off the track feed

Stillriledup
05-05-2014, 08:00 PM
I don't think TVG has any control of that. Aren't they going off the track feed

The feed doesn't leave the gate, but TVG does. When they "cut away" i quickly look at the live stream on the internet so i can see what's really happening.

BlueShoe
05-17-2014, 06:35 PM
Perhaps I just missed it when I was away, if so, I apologize, did step out of the room briefly, but didn't TVG just a little while ago miss a rather important DQ in the 6th at SA? The #6 at 8-1 rather clearly nosed out the 6-5 favorite, the #9, for 3rd. When the race did not become official for a long time, became suspicious, and when it did, saw that the #9 was the official 3rd place finisher, and the #6 4th. Had to wait until after the 7th before the Equibase chart went up, and sure enough, the #6 had been DQ'd from 3rd to 4th.

Now then, I did not bet this race, so had no dog in the fight, but do not recall the TVG talking heads ever mentioning that there was an inquiry, no rerun showing the head on, no comments as to the possible outcome, or mention of the official results. For players that played the tri or super, the DQ had a major impact. Did I miss something while I was out, or did TVG miss it?

Stillriledup
05-17-2014, 06:41 PM
Perhaps I just missed it when I was away, if so, I apologize, did step out of the room briefly, but didn't TVG just a little while ago miss a rather important DQ in the 6th at SA? The #6 at 8-1 rather clearly nosed out the 6-5 favorite, the #9, for 3rd. When the race did not become official for a long time, became suspicious, and when it did, saw that the #9 was the official 3rd place finisher, and the #6 4th. Had to wait until after the 7th before the Equibase chart went up, and sure enough, the #6 had been DQ'd from 3rd to 4th.

Now then, I did not bet this race, so had no dog in the fight, but do not recall the TVG talking heads ever mentioning that there was an inquiry, no rerun showing the head on, no comments as to the possible outcome, or mention of the official results. For players that played the tri or super, the DQ had a major impact. Did I miss something while I was out, or did TVG miss it?

i have the entire day of TVG on tape, so if nobody can answer you, i'll check it out later and yet you know.

johnhannibalsmith
05-17-2014, 08:17 PM
i have the entire day of TVG on tape, ...

Must be recording in EP.

Stillriledup
05-17-2014, 08:22 PM
Must be recording in EP.

No, i just don't have much else on my DVR other than my GFs shows like Game of Thrones and stuff like that. I always get from her "how many racing programs do you need" lol

I say "i need em all" :D

PhantomOnTour
07-03-2014, 08:31 PM
6MTP at Los Al and they show us a few horses walking around before the race instead of going live to the 5th at EvD...they will delay the showing of this race and then scroll the results before showing the replay.

Brilliant!

get out of California's ass !

wisconsin
07-03-2014, 09:04 PM
6MTP at Los Al and they show us a few horses walking around before the race instead of going live to the 5th at EvD...they will delay the showing of this race and then scroll the results before showing the replay.

Brilliant!

Been a pet peeve of mine...

Stillriledup
07-03-2014, 09:22 PM

Brilliant!

They've been acting as if Los Al 2,500 dollar claimers going four and a half is the "poo" so, you know, take a good whiff.

If you didnt know any better and watched TVG, you would think Los Al is an A rated track, they're going to act as if nobody else exists.

cj
07-03-2014, 09:30 PM
They've been acting as if Los Al 2,500 dollar claimers going four and a half is the "poo" so, you know, take a good whiff.

If you didnt know any better and watched TVG, you would think Los Al is an A rated track, they're going to act as if nobody else exists.

You realize it basically is an A track the next two weeks, right?

Stillriledup
07-03-2014, 10:23 PM
You realize it basically is an A track the next two weeks, right?
My point was that they always act like its an A track....its going to get much worse the next 2 weeks.

SandyW
07-03-2014, 10:34 PM
My point was that they always act like its an A track....its going to get much worse the next 2 weeks.

TVG has a special deal with Los Al. where they come first unless it is a major stake race at one of their prime tracks.
It does not matter A track, B track, etc.

Tom
07-03-2014, 10:56 PM
You do realize TVG is an F outfit? :rolleyes:
I make it a point to try to bet on HRTV tracks and avoid TVG as much as possible. When do go there, I mute out the talking heads who are insufferable on a good day.

I miss YouBet..........FAR superior to this crap we have today.

Hoofless_Wonder
07-03-2014, 11:11 PM
TVG has brought us Hong Kong and free TimeFormUS PPs this year.

For now, all past transgressions are forgiven.:)

Easier for me to say, as I don't have TVG's show over the satellite or other TV signal, just the track feed from Roberts over the internet....

PhantomOnTour
07-03-2014, 11:28 PM
TVG has a special deal with Los Al. where they come first unless it is a major stake race at one of their prime tracks.
It does not matter A track, B track, etc.
We know they have a deal with all SoCal tracks...that's the problem.

Must be a "paddock to post" deal because one track is at the gate and LosAl is still 6 MTP...six minutes, and they won't switch over...good Lord.

thaskalos
07-04-2014, 12:31 AM
I miss YouBet..........FAR superior to this crap we have today.

:ThmbUp:

I was thinking the exact same thing.

BlueShoe
07-04-2014, 09:16 AM
We know they have a deal with all SoCal tracks...that's the problem.
Don't they have the same deal with NYRA? Soon they will show us the post parade at Saratoga and hold us captive with their babbling, all the while a couple of other tracks are going off live. Different tracks but same situation.

BettinBilly
07-04-2014, 09:35 AM
I watch HRTV by force. No TVG on my cable system.

I play TVG by choice. Free Timeform. 'Nuff said. Game, set and match for me. :)

thespaah
07-04-2014, 10:50 AM

Brilliant!

In another thread, I stated that TVG has a deep So Cal bias.
TVG treats Del Mar as though it were the Royal Ascot of the US while largely ignoring Saratoga.
If there is a time conflict between Sar and Dmr, TVG will always show the Dmr race First, then Saratoga in delay.

Stillriledup
07-04-2014, 02:56 PM
I watch HRTV by force. No TVG on my cable system.

I play TVG by choice. Free Timeform. 'Nuff said. Game, set and match for me. :)

I watch TVG by force, no HRTV on my satellite system..

Stillriledup
07-20-2014, 05:54 PM
Is it my imagination, or does TVG have a lot more commercials than they used to have? I rarely see racing, everytime i look up there's a block of commercials. Its a big infomercial network that accidentally shows horse races once in a while. :rolleyes:

tanner12oz
07-20-2014, 05:59 PM
I watch tvg 99% of the time hrtv simply has an awful feed. If hrtv invested in some at least 1990s technology it could compete but instead it looks like wkrp Cincinnati reruns

thespaah
07-20-2014, 06:49 PM
I watch tvg 99% of the time hrtv simply has an awful feed. If hrtv invested in some at least 1990s technology it could compete but instead it looks like wkrp Cincinnati reruns
What's awful about it?

JustRalph
07-20-2014, 07:24 PM
I actually watched both networks this weekend. What's up with TVG not having the chiclets or odds etc on 90% of the races they show?

Btw, I realized yesterday that you could take 90% of the banter from Todd Schrupp yesterday, cut it out and edit in the Schrupp banter from 2002 and the program wouldn't change a bit........

Loduca and Bray put him to shame yesterday capping wise.

johnhannibalsmith
07-20-2014, 08:23 PM
...Loduca and Bray ...

That's... six-time Stanley Cup winning, critically acclaimed recipient of five Grammys and three Tonys, the master of disaster, the sultan of snot, with a professional record of 22 wins and zero defeats, eighteen by way of knockout, here he is... Paul LoDuca!... and Simon Bray.

Stillriledup
07-20-2014, 08:57 PM
That's... six-time Stanley Cup winning, critically acclaimed recipient of five Grammys and three Tonys, the master of disaster, the sultan of snot, with a professional record of 22 wins and zero defeats, eighteen by way of knockout, here he is... Paul LoDuca!... and Simon Bray.

And don't forget, #16 in your program and #1 in your heart. :D

Stillriledup
07-25-2014, 06:02 PM
matty Carruthers clowning it up on TVG during the last race at Saratoga. He had no clue what he was looking at originally saying that the 9 was at fault when it was pretty obvious the 10 caused the entire chain reaction. Than, he criticized Ragiv Maragh for claiming foul and he just kept talking and talking while Durkin (in the backround) was trying to explain that the claim of foul was lodged before the rider knew the results of the photo.

I used to think this guy was "sharp" but this was embarrassing.

cj
07-25-2014, 06:22 PM
matty Carruthers clowning it up on TVG during the last race at Saratoga. He had no clue what he was looking at originally saying that the 9 was at fault when it was pretty obvious the 10 caused the entire chain reaction. Than, he criticized Ragiv Maragh for claiming foul and he just kept talking and talking while Durkin (in the backround) was trying to explain that the claim of foul was lodged before the rider knew the results of the photo.

To his credit, he admitted he was wrong when they came back from commercial. You should try it some time, or many times.

Stillriledup
07-25-2014, 06:42 PM
To his credit, he admitted he was wrong when they came back from commercial. You should try it some time, or many times.

I admit when i'm wrong, it just happens so rarely that its easy for you to lose track of when it does happen. ;)

SandyW
07-25-2014, 06:43 PM

The amazing thing is that Carruthers and his on air buddies get paid for this nonsense.

Stillriledup
07-25-2014, 06:44 PM
The amazing thing is that Carruthers and his on air buddies get paid for this nonsense.

Right?

Like CJ says, kudos for him admitting his fault, but geez, you would think the guy had never seen a horse race before.

Shelby
07-25-2014, 08:51 PM
Seriously, you are so harsh SRU. I like you...but, imagine being a TVG analyst every day as your job. On top of having to handicap almost every day AND be right A LOT, they have to SHOW us, the public all of their work.

Cut a little slack. I really enjoy TVG. I watch almost every day. I'm not betting a lot right now, but I watch.

thespaah
07-25-2014, 09:12 PM
I don't mind a little lighthearted stuff, not taking things too seriously, but excessive goofing around does get old.
Both Carrothers and Schrupp are guilty of this.
However, Kudos are in order for Matt admitting the error

Fingal
07-25-2014, 09:45 PM

Since I have Dish & they're right next to each other in channel number I'll sometimes flip from HRTV to TVG during a race that they're both showing. Now both air in Standard definition, but maybe it's because TVG broadcasts in HD it comes through better. Most of the time HRTV seems like watching a race through a hazy film, but then HRTV believes in showing all the fractions during a race which TVG doesn't, so it's a trade off.

But I don't listen to either channel, just put the timer on my phone as to how many minutes to post & then flip back over about a minute to springing the gate. But no way I claim I would want their job- imagine having to fill x number of hours a day with constant yakking ? I'd say who I like & that's it, no " what about this one or whatever. " With all that dead air I'd be fired in a New York Minute.

thespaah
07-25-2014, 10:17 PM
Since I have Dish & they're right next to each other in channel number I'll sometimes flip from HRTV to TVG during a race that they're both showing. Now both air in Standard definition, but maybe it's because TVG broadcasts in HD it comes through better. Most of the time HRTV seems like watching a race through a hazy film, but then HRTV believes in showing all the fractions during a race which TVG doesn't, so it's a trade off.

But I don't listen to either channel, just put the timer on my phone as to how many minutes to post & then flip back over about a minute to springing the gate. But no way I claim I would want their job- imagine having to fill x number of hours a day with constant yakking ? I'd say who I like & that's it, no " what about this one or whatever. " With all that dead air I'd be fired in a New York Minute.
I have Dish as well. I prefer HRTV as I believe their on camera people are just as good, if not better or more accurately, more appealing tv people, plus HRTV uses the track feed and the track's own graphics. For whatever reason, TVG insists on using it's own graphics which suck. And, they don't show fractional splits with any consistency.
TVG covers 1/3rd of the screen with their graphics. HRTV allows the entire screen to be uncluttered.
Yes, TVG's video is marginally sharper, but unless one is looking for cinema quality images, it's inconsequential.

thespaah
07-25-2014, 10:18 PM
I watch TVG by force, no HRTV on my satellite system..
If I could not get HRTV, I would bite the bullet and sub to RTN on line.

Wickel
07-26-2014, 10:03 PM
After years of whining on the TVG forum (now defunct) and blasting 'em with e-mails, I finally realized that I had another option--HRTV. My sole reason for abandoning TVG was Matt Carothers. I still watch Rich Perloff early mornings on Monday and Tuesday (probably days off for Carothers) and I enjoy The Quarters (Carothers probably getting tanked by then). HRTV has improved dramatically in the last couple of years, probably because of the ex-TVGers such as Christina Blacker and Michelle Yu. It's difficult taking the self-absorbed Jon White, but other than that, they deliver a quality product. If only Matt could join Ken Rudulph in Sacramento .....

Tom
07-26-2014, 11:50 PM
Jon White abandoned the book he was writing.
After 32 chapters, three sentences, he ran out of commas.

JustRalph
07-27-2014, 12:06 AM
Jon White abandoned the book he was writing.
After 32 chapters, three sentences, he ran out of commas.

The back cover was his personal pedigree all the way back to
Charlemagne.

PhantomOnTour
07-27-2014, 12:13 AM
After years of whining on the TVG forum (now defunct) and blasting 'em with e-mails, I finally realized that I had another option--HRTV. My sole reason for abandoning TVG was Matt Carothers. I still watch Rich Perloff early mornings on Monday and Tuesday (probably days off for Carothers) and I enjoy The Quarters (Carothers probably getting tanked by then). HRTV has improved dramatically in the last couple of years, probably because of the ex-TVGers such as Christina Blacker and Michelle Yu. It's difficult taking the self-absorbed Jon White, but other than that, they deliver a quality product. If only Matt could join Ken Rudulph in Sacramento .....
I find Matty to be entertaining, and Perloff to be quite an ass.
Every email seems to annoy him and send him on some pontificating diatribe.

JustRalph
07-27-2014, 12:17 AM

In case you didn't know, Paul LoDuca was a 4 time MLB All Star........ :bang:

You'll hear it 30 times tomorrow

PhantomOnTour
07-27-2014, 12:22 AM

There's a reason Matty is on on the weekends and Perloff gets his time on Mon and Tues.

'Nuff said

JustRalph
07-27-2014, 12:39 AM
There's a reason Matty is on on the weekends and Perloff gets his time on Mon and Tues.

'Nuff said

I wasn't disagreeing with you, I was just pointing out something that bothers me about the network.

Stillriledup
07-27-2014, 02:24 AM

And you'll hear he was mentioned in the Mitchell Report 0 times.

thaskalos
07-27-2014, 03:26 AM

I disagree.

I have another 300+ channels to choose from if I want to be "entertained". I'll take Perloff and you can have your "Matty".

And those emailers deserve even worse...IMO.

Stillriledup
07-27-2014, 04:16 AM
I disagree.

I have another 300+ channels to choose from if I want to be "entertained". I'll take Perloff and you can have your "Matty".

And those emailers deserve even worse...IMO.

Perloff is a bit condescending to e mailers for a guy who bets 2 WPS.

thaskalos
07-27-2014, 05:29 AM

He is ultra-professional...IMO.

Canarsie
07-27-2014, 07:45 AM

I second this. Plus he reads almost all (within legal boundaries) "anti" Perloff messages sent his way. At least to me he is entertaining and I can learn about something "other" than horse racing when he is solo.

To the bashers you try and fill in a two or three hour slot on television by yourself, it's not an easy thing to do. There's a reason talk radio is so successful compared to using the other media outlet called television for the same format.

Look how many posters on here get bent out of shape being bashed just once on here. Multiply that by a magnitude of at least a thousand times for a really minor station like TVG and his performance rating is pretty extraordinary.

Next thing someone will post is they like when a person from TVG prefers to dress up as a giraffe.

affirmedny
07-27-2014, 08:22 AM
Last night they switched to a split screen, half copper commercial and half the race, smack in the middle of a Meadowlands race with Sebastian K(the top harness horse in the country right now). And of course the sound of the commercial was played and the racecall was silenced. No mention of it when the commercial was over. Just ridiculous. The director or whoever's responsible should be canned.

upthecreek
07-27-2014, 09:10 AM

I agree 110% If you dont agree with him he dismisses you

Zydeco
07-27-2014, 09:42 AM
The back cover was his personal pedigree all the way back to
Charlemagne.

This is funny! Good one Ralph

spiketoo
07-27-2014, 11:22 AM
I second this. Plus he reads almost all (within legal boundaries) "anti" Perloff messages sent his way. At least to me he is entertaining and I can learn about something "other" than horse racing when he is solo.

To the bashers you try and fill in a two or three hour slot on television by yourself, it's not an easy thing to do. There's a reason talk radio is so successful compared to using the other media outlet called television for the same format.

Look how many posters on here get bent out of shape being bashed just once on here. Multiply that by a magnitude of at least a thousand times for a really minor station like TVG and his performance rating is pretty extraordinary.

Next thing someone will post is they like when a person from TVG prefers to dress up as a giraffe.

I don't understand this - it's like comparing apples and oranges (or apples and prunes). I'm not sure the reason talk radio is successful is because it's on radio - may have something to do with the content (or lack thereof :cool: ). Heck a buncha radio shows are 'simulcast' on TV - why I have no idea...

It should be fairly uncomplicated to fill 3 or even 8 hours - it's called content. I'd have no problem with him spending hours on reviewing trip handicapping or whatever. There's a ton of info one can spend too much time on in this sport - just ask my wife!

theiman
07-27-2014, 11:40 AM
I don't understand this - it's like comparing apples and oranges (or apples and prunes). I'm not sure the reason talk radio is successful is because it's on radio - may have something to do with the content (or lack thereof :cool: ). Heck a buncha radio shows are 'simulcast' on TV - why I have no idea...

It should be fairly uncomplicated to fill 3 or even 8 hours - it's called content. I'd have no problem with him spending hours on reviewing trip handicapping or whatever. There's a ton of info one can spend too much time on in this sport - just ask my wife!

Lester approves of this message :D :D

SandyW
07-27-2014, 11:48 AM
Last night they switched to a split screen, half copper commercial and half the race, smack in the middle of a Meadowlands race with Sebastian K(the top harness horse in the country right now). And of course the sound of the commercial was played and the racecall was silenced. No mention of it when the commercial was over. Just ridiculous. The director or whoever's responsible should be canned.

That what makes this station a complete joke, no replay , no I'm sorry, just screw you and like it. NO CLASS, THAT IS TVG.

PhantomOnTour
07-27-2014, 01:00 PM
An ultra-professional shouldn't seem peeved that he has to read emails.
He seems unhappy (kind of like you, Thask) with doing his job; as though it's a burden.
The dude is a Shakespearean actor for Chrissakes - can't he act like he likes his job? :D

As I stated before...there is a reason Perloff gets Mon & Tues and Matty gets weekends.

Shelby
07-27-2014, 01:08 PM
Perloff is on right now.....just sayin'.

PhantomOnTour
07-27-2014, 01:10 PM
Perloff is on right now.....just sayin'.
Don't be fooled and make the exception into the rule, love.
Perloff is rarely on during the wknd - and maybe his appearance has to do with Cassidy being at Mth and some other TVG personalities being at DMR.

Do you think they would send Rich anywhere for an offsite ?
Me neither...he and the Sarge are fill-ins during this time.

thaskalos
07-27-2014, 02:16 PM
An ultra-professional shouldn't seem peeved that he has to read emails.
He seems unhappy (kind of like you, Thask) with doing his job; as though it's a burden.
The dude is a Shakespearean actor for Chrissakes - can't he act like he likes his job? :D

As I stated before...there is a reason Perloff gets Mon & Tues and Matty gets weekends.
I am generally VERY happy...and I would be even happier if I didn't have to deal with idiots.

I suspect Perloff would as well... :)

PhantomOnTour
07-27-2014, 02:25 PM
I am generally VERY happy...and I would be even happier if I didn't have to deal with idiots.

Not about horseracing

thaskalos
07-27-2014, 02:27 PM
Not about horseracing
Are YOU happy with horse racing?

PhantomOnTour
07-27-2014, 02:32 PM
Are YOU happy with horse racing?
By and large, yes.

But let's not discuss my Sar meet so far ;)

thaskalos
07-27-2014, 02:43 PM
By and large, yes.

But let's not discuss my Sar meet so far ;)
I am not speaking selfishly when I say that the game has lost its luster for me. It's not that I am unhappy with my own results; I am infuriated with the path that the game is on as a whole.

Today...the game is a mere shadow of what it could be...if only there was a little "unity" and a little true leadership.

Tom
07-27-2014, 02:45 PM

If it is his idea to read the email, then he should stop.
If he HAS to as part of his job, he should realized those people are CUSTOMERS and treat them with some respect.

As a handicapping personality, I respect his opinions. As a person, I think he is seriously lacking in character. Being a jerk towards you customer is never acceptable. I am sure TVG could find a civil replacement as good as he is if they looked.

PhantomOnTour
07-27-2014, 03:11 PM
If it is his idea to read the email, then he should stop.
If he HAS to as part of his job, he should realized those people are CUSTOMERS and treat them with some respect.

As a handicapping personality, I respect his opinions. As a person, I think he is seriously lacking in character. Being a jerk towards you customer is never acceptable. I am sure TVG could find a civil replacement as good as he is if they looked.
Exactly - you and me Tom - we good in the horseracing threads; not so much in Off Topic :D

Well, it looks like the warmup act has left the stage and the headliner hosts (see, Matty) will be on for the meat of the cards.

Stillriledup
07-27-2014, 11:04 PM

I saw that, probably Chad Noche was responsible :lol:

Totally absurd, i have to believe it was just a technical glitch, nobody could have made that decision.

Stillriledup
07-27-2014, 11:09 PM

I think that while there are idiots abound, there are also quite a few e mailers who know what they're talking about and yet, if you disagree with him on a point, he will not just respectfully disagree, he will essentially call you an idiot.

thaskalos
07-27-2014, 11:19 PM
I think that while there are idiots abound, there are also quite a few e mailers who know what they're talking about and yet, if you disagree with him on a point, he will not just respectfully disagree, he will essentially call you an idiot.
If I hadn't watched his show then I would believe you, SRU. But I have watched his show MANY times...and I have never heard him call anybody an idiot...essentially or otherwise. I don't usually agree with his handicapping opinions, nor do I expect to...but I like the guy. He is the only guy from that station that I actually wouldn't mind talking horses with.

Stillriledup
07-27-2014, 11:24 PM
If I hadn't watched his show then I would believe you, SRU. But I have watched his show MANY times...and I have never heard him call anybody an idiot...essentially or otherwise. I don't usually agree with his handicapping opinions, nor do I expect to...but I like the guy. He is the only guy from that station that I actually wouldn't mind talking horses with.

That's why i said essentially. He doesn't use the word idiot, but with his tone, he comes across that if you don't agree with him, you must be " new to this horse racing thing".

I remember e mailing him...maybe last year...and bringing up a point and he not only agreed with me, but basically called me a genius and said "that's an amazing point". I forget what the point was, but it was something he admitted he hadn't thought of and was really happy i e mailed.

taxicab
07-27-2014, 11:25 PM
I was watching.
There's no excuse for what they did.
I agree.....fire the person in charge.

jballscalls
07-27-2014, 11:48 PM
I remember e mailing him...maybe last year...and bringing up a point and he not only agreed with me, but basically called me a genius and said "that's an amazing point". I forget what the point was, but it was something he admitted he hadn't thought of and was really happy i e mailed.

This must have been a dream, cause I can't imagine you making a good point! :) sorry couldn't resist!

Stillriledup
07-27-2014, 11:55 PM
This must have been a dream, cause I can't imagine you making a good point! :) sorry couldn't resist!

I set you up, for the ally-oop dunk, i would have been disappointed had you not flushed it home! :D

thaskalos
07-28-2014, 12:04 AM

As I said...his judgement can be questionable at times. :)

Stillriledup
07-28-2014, 12:08 AM
As I said...his judgement can be questionable at times. :)

I think if he would have known that SRU from the PA Forum was the one who sent him that e mail, he wouldnt have been so quick to point out the genius nature of the point. :D

Canarsie
07-28-2014, 10:42 AM

Really? Why don't you name me a half dozen people on television who do it as a job solo without referring to their producer, sidekick, or whoever else tickles their fancy. Plus he doesn't read commercials making it even a tougher struggle.

It's a tougher job than public speaking which is one of the hardest things to do. Well over 95 out of 100 people will say "umm" after saying more than a few sentences. Repeat the next dozen voicemails you leave and see how many times there is a pause and a "umm".

Throw in my hunch is he doesn't use a teleprompter.

Now after saying all of this I don't dismiss posters concerns they are legitimate to a degree. But since TVG PAYS to be aired and the viewer has the option of turning off the volume or using the clicker what is the problem? There are alternatives to watching almost all of the races they air. If I want to watch NYRA, TVG isn't even an option, my ROKU shows me the track feed with TLG and crew in HIGH DEF.

Canarsie
07-28-2014, 10:49 AM
Don't be fooled and make the exception into the rule, love.
Perloff is rarely on during the wknd - and maybe his appearance has to do with Cassidy being at Mth and some other TVG personalities being at DMR.

Do you think they would send Rich anywhere for an offsite ?
Me neither...he and the Sarge are fill-ins during this time.

Do you actually watch TVG? Perloff has been off Wednesday and Thursday for at least a half dozen years, probably much more.. In fact he is probably paired more with Matt on the weekend than anyone else.

I also like Matt but since your so informed maybe you can tell me the status of 58 flat? If that was still on "your" Perloff "problem" would be considerably reduced.

PhantomOnTour
07-28-2014, 11:21 AM
Do you actually watch TVG? Perloff has been off Wednesday and Thursday for at least a half dozen years, probably much more.. In fact he is probably paired more with Matt on the weekend than anyone else.

I also like Matt but since your so informed maybe you can tell me the status of 58 flat? If that was still on "your" Perloff "problem" would be considerably reduced.
When did I state Perloff was on Weds & Thurs?

Bottom line is that the guy is a asshole to many emailers, period.
I really love when he doesn't read an email but responds to someone with, "Hey Mike in Peoria, right back to you buddy"...how professional :rolleyes: ...the correct thing to do is IGNORE those insulting emails, but he can't...he just can't. In fact, I think I will send him a nasty one today and see if he references it :D

So I touched a nerve Canarsie - chill out man - you obviously like Perloff.
58 Flat? I vaguely remember that, but it escapes me...Blinker Off was a terrible show and glad it's gone. It sunk badly when Watchmaker left.

I don't ever remember seeing Perloff at the desk for major weekend races.

PhantomOnTour
07-28-2014, 11:25 AM
Ah yes - 58 Flat - Matty's super charged hour during midday...that wasn't too great either.

I am not flying the Matty flag - I just used him as an example and contrast to Perloff....and I prefer him to Rich's monotone boring "Jon White" like delivery.
He preaches and almost talks down to the viewer...no thx

Canarsie
07-28-2014, 12:54 PM
When did I state Perloff was on Weds & Thurs?

Bottom line is that the guy is a asshole to many emailers, period.
I really love when he doesn't read an email but responds to someone with, "Hey Mike in Peoria, right back to you buddy"...how professional :rolleyes: ...the correct thing to do is IGNORE those insulting emails, but he can't...he just can't. In fact, I think I will send him a nasty one today and see if he references it :D

So I touched a nerve Canarsie - chill out man - you obviously like Perloff.
58 Flat? I vaguely remember that, but it escapes me...Blinker Off was a terrible show and glad it's gone. It sunk badly when Watchmaker left.

I don't ever remember seeing Perloff at the desk for major weekend races.

I like Perloff don't "love" him but absolutely respect what he has to do by himself in a shoestring operation. I'm not arguing what your saying facts are facts. It's just extremely hard filling up a boring Monday and Tuesday when his habits formed. When only one track is running there has to be a way to kill time.

In his defense on another matter he constantly states "don't play my ticket" he is probably the only one who does that on air.

Perloff usually works the early shift on the weekends their "superstars" take over for prime time.

Trust me I'm Brooklyn born and raised you didn't hardly touch a nerve. They are all "pinched" anyway and I like a good discussion. You can "pound" me into the ground all you like.

I have one more question for you. If you were in court and were charged for anything would you object to your attorney rolling his or her eyes?

PhantomOnTour
07-28-2014, 01:02 PM
I would not like it if he rolled his eyes at the judge...no worries if he rolls them at me.
He probably has good reason to roll 'em at me :D

picojim
08-02-2014, 02:07 PM
I hate Hamiltonian day

Clocker
08-02-2014, 02:50 PM
I find myself more and more watching HRTV when they cover the races I want to watch. I also find myself more and more muting TVG except during the race calls. Listening to someone recapping the results of a race by saying "And the finish is 9/5 over 8/1 over 5/2 over 10/1" is not particularly informative.

The conversation on HRTV is generally more interesting and informative. When the guys in the studio on TVG aren't going into the deep weeds of their multi-race exotics, they are engaged in snappy patter with little relevant content, often talking over each other. And I immediately hit the mute when Tom Cassidy starts rattling off names and stats like he is trying to win a speed talking contest.

thespaah
08-02-2014, 06:08 PM
I hate Hamiltonian day
Ok.. I'll bite..Why?
BTW, I stayed with HRTV for Saratoga and watched the Meadowlands live feed on my computer.
I can live without TVG THAT MUCH.
If and when I switch to Directv, I will miss HRTV a lot. That service is superior to TVG in many ways.
Even though TVG is available on Directv, I will probably sub to the RTN on line service.

Tara73
08-02-2014, 07:35 PM
I just switched to direct TV and now TVG appears on a half screen. Anyway to get the full screen that I'm use to

thespaah
08-02-2014, 08:14 PM
Can you clarify that a little?
Are there black bars covering part of the screen? Or is it TVG graphics?

Tara73
08-02-2014, 10:01 PM
Can you clarify that a little?
Are there black bars covering part of the screen? Or is it TVG graphics?

There are 2 vertical lines. No graphics. It appears the picture is in a window. Didn't have this with Verizon Fios. Just switched to Direct TV. Thanks

Fingal
08-02-2014, 10:02 PM
You may want to check the picture presentation settings on the box. I have Dish so I can't speak about DirecTV, but it sounds like their box also has settings for picture viewing. On my box I can change the HD & regular broadcast screen to zoom, stretch or compressed with black or grey bars on either side.

thespaah
08-02-2014, 10:52 PM
There are 2 vertical lines. No graphics. It appears the picture is in a window. Didn't have this with Verizon Fios. Just switched to Direct TV. Thanks
Ok....If you have a Genie, set it to no more than 720p..
Then check tyou television's format or pic size setting.
It may be set to 4X3..Make sure it is 16X9....Set your pic size to "full"...Do not use letter box or theater settings.

JustRalph
08-02-2014, 10:57 PM
it may also be called 'aspect ratio " on your remote etc...............

Stillriledup
08-10-2014, 01:36 AM
Schrupp spent at least 30 minutes talking about a shirtless picture he snapped, in secret, of Paulieman and then at the end of the segment, mentions he "doesnt have 2 nickels to rub together' as a result of his playing at Del Mar.

Why i didn't have this mess on mute is something you'll have to ask my shrink. :D

johnhannibalsmith
08-10-2014, 01:40 AM
... of Paulieman ...

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1681662&postcount=126

Stillriledup
08-10-2014, 02:55 AM
:lol:

I seriously LOL'd.

Thank you! :D

jballscalls
08-10-2014, 03:24 AM

I've always wondered why he always introduces Paul as "4 time MLB all-star" which has no bearing to anything on the broadcast....and yet I've never heard him introduce Simon as a multiple Grade 1 winning trainer...which would seem to be of relevance to the broadcast.

Just an observation

Tara73
08-10-2014, 09:57 AM
Ok....If you have a Genie, set it to no more than 720p..
Then check tyou television's format or pic size setting.
It may be set to 4X3..Make sure it is 16X9....Set your pic size to "full"...Do not use letter box or theater settings.

Thanks

spiketoo
08-10-2014, 11:33 AM
I was almost getting to enjoy Mike Joyce a bit as he brings info w/o the buffoonery. Then he said over the weekend that learned 'a lot' from KRude who was at the plant. The only thing I ever learned from KRude is how to wear out the silkscreened letters on the MUTE button.

I'm officially changing Todd Schmeckels name to Judy - as in Judy Collins for the song Send in the Klowns. They really should use calliope muzak as their intro.

Stillriledup
08-10-2014, 02:26 PM
I was almost getting to enjoy Mike Joyce a bit as he brings info w/o the buffoonery. Then he said over the weekend that learned 'a lot' from KRude who was at the plant. The only thing I ever learned from KRude is how to wear out the silkscreened letters on the MUTE button.

I'm officially changing Todd Schmeckels name to Judy - as in Judy Collins for the song Send in the Klowns. They really should use calliope muzak as their intro.

Mike Joyce is very annoying when he's on the desk, but out in the field, i think he's the best interviewer they have. He got a little full of himself being the 'main host' during the abbreviated Los Al meet.....he's been at TVG a while and really hasn't 'turned the corner' as someone who can actually handicap. Same with Greg Wolf, nice enough guy, but not a hard core handicapper type and not much he says will ever help you make money.

BlueShoe
08-11-2014, 02:36 PM
This past week payed a visit to a new for myself different OTB facility that has only been open for a few months that I had heard good things about from a couple of guys that had been there. It is located in a very good neighborhood, so that while admission and parking is free, the riff raff and undesirable factor is very low. The place is new, modern, and very clean and is kept up. Visuals are excellent, with large screen TVs for every track all over the room. Many seats have individual TV terminals although they are not really needed. Customer service is very good in both the wagering and restaurant and bar sections.

So what is the beef, and why this post? The sound. The ONLY sound a patron hears is that of TVG! :eek: :bang: A few big screens are tuned to TVG, and that is where the sound comes from. If TVG does not carry your track, even though you can bet it here, you do not hear it. There is no sound on the individual terminals, just the sound feed from TVG. They open at 9:45, so if one arrives early to bet the early Eastern races, and stays until California is done, you are there for 8 or 9 hours. All the time being force fed the endless chatter of the Talking Heads in between whatever races they are covering. :(

A couple of guys I talked to said they had brought this up, but so far, to no avail. I liked the place, and except for this, would become my new steady site, but TVG for 8 hours plus? :ThmbDown: Undecided at this point, but likely will go back, and perhaps have a friendly chat with a supervisor.

thespaah
08-11-2014, 02:55 PM
This past week payed a visit to a new for myself different OTB facility that has only been open for a few months that I had heard good things about from a couple of guys that had been there. It is located in a very good neighborhood, so that while admission and parking is free, the riff raff and undesirable factor is very low. The place is new, modern, and very clean and is kept up. Visuals are excellent, with large screen TVs for every track all over the room. Many seats have individual TV terminals although they are not really needed. Customer service is very good in both the wagering and restaurant and bar sections.

So what is the beef, and why this post? The sound. The ONLY sound a patron hears is that of TVG! :eek: :bang: A few big screens are tuned to TVG, and that is where the sound comes from. If TVG does not carry your track, even though you can bet it here, you do not hear it. There is no sound on the individual terminals, just the sound feed from TVG. They open at 9:45, so if one arrives early to bet the early Eastern races, and stays until California is done, you are there for 8 or 9 hours. All the time being force fed the endless chatter of the Talking Heads in between whatever races they are covering. :(

A couple of guys I talked to said they had brought this up, but so far, to no avail. I liked the place, and except for this, would become my new steady site, but TVG for 8 hours plus? :ThmbDown: Undecided at this point, but likely will go back, and perhaps have a friendly chat with a supervisor.
I would ask to see the manager and ask "who's brilliant idea is ( using TVG feed for the house)THAT?"

Stillriledup
08-11-2014, 03:50 PM
I would ask to see the manager and ask "who's brilliant idea is ( using TVG feed for the house)THAT?"

That would require them having an idea in the first place. That might be a lot to ask.

thespaah
08-11-2014, 03:57 PM
That would require them having an idea in the first place. That might be a lot to ask.
Or a better answer might be "it requires thought"....

BlueShoe
08-11-2014, 04:19 PM
Intend to be a bit more diplomatic than that. Except for this TVG thing and a few other minor points, the facility is very good. The minor points are that being in affluent South Orange County, food and drinks, while good, are pricey. $3 for coffee plus tax is too steep, imo. There is not a single drinking fountain in the entire joint. On the feeds to the terminals, there are no screens showing the money pools, important to tote watchers that analyze betting action.

HPFridays
08-11-2014, 04:33 PM
Was it the OC Tavern you went to, BlueShoe? Have you tried Sammy's Original in Lake Forest yet? The owners did an outstanding job making the restaurant/bar a great location to eat, drink, and watch the ponies.

BlueShoe
08-11-2014, 04:53 PM
Was it the OC Tavern you went to, BlueShoe? Have you tried Sammy's Original in Lake Forest yet? The owners did an outstanding job making the restaurant/bar a great location to eat, drink, and watch the ponies.
Sammy's. My critique was my impression as a first time visitor. The OCT in San Clemente is much more of drive. Not been there, but may do so after Del Mar is over. Often get the travel itch, and at one time or another, just to do something different, have visited most of the OTB facilities in SoCal.

Stillriledup
08-23-2014, 07:50 PM
Is it just me, or are the trying to get me to change the channel with this odd camerawork at the start of races.

Yikes. Terrible.

Tor Ekman
08-24-2014, 10:22 AM
This so-called "Sarge" with his on-screen salutes and his "OORAH" shout-outs got me wondering about his military bona fides. From what I can see, the guy never served. Now, not having served, standing alone, is no basis for criticism, but I find it offensive when someone who has not served cloaks himself in military honor, as this guy "The Sarge" seems to be doing. Here is his official TVG bio, which makes no mention of military service, and the stated chronology would seem to rule out his having served in the military:

Nick J. Hines, a.ka. “The Sarge,” has been involved with the sport of horse racing his entire life.

Nick’s career at the track began in 1985 at the age of 15 when he worked at San Luis Rey Downs. After graduating from high school in 1988, he attended UNLV on a music/journalism scholarship for one year.

While studying music and communications the following year at Cal Poly Pomona, Nick met Bob Hess Jr. at Hollywood Park. After working for him as a hot-walker in the mornings and going to school in the afternoons, Hines eventually became Hess’ full-time assistant and they went on to win four training titles together from 1991-93.

After earning his degree in Agricultural Business in December of 1993, Hines went out on his own as a trainer in 1994 and saddled his first winner with his third starter, 40-to-1 long shot Chief Brody.

His broadcasting career with TVG began in 2005 and he retired from training in 2007 when he was given the opportunity by long-time friend Eric Guillot to work as the racing manager for Mike Moreno’s Southern Equine Stables.

In 2007, the Southern Equine-owned colt Salute the Sarge won the Hollywood Juvenile Championship and Best Pal Stakes as a two-year-old, and the San Miguel Stakes as a three-year-old.

When he’s not on the air, Nick’s duties as an independent bloodstock consultant keep him involved in the business of horse racing. You can find him either on the back side or at the races almost every day with a smile on his face and an eagerness to engage any fan that approaches him.

thaskalos
08-24-2014, 11:22 AM
This so-called "Sarge" with his on-screen salutes and his "OORAH" shout-outs got me wondering about his military bona fides. From what I can see, the guy never served. Now, not having served, standing alone, is no basis for criticism, but I find it offensive when someone who has not served cloaks himself in military honor, as this guy "The Sarge" seems to be doing. Here is his official TVG bio, which makes no mention of military service, and the stated chronology would seem to rule out his having served in the military:
It's true that Nick Hines never served in the military. But his father did...so, let's cut the guy some slack. :)

Tor Ekman
08-24-2014, 11:38 AM
That's B.S. My father was awarded the Bronze Star in WWII as a sarge in the Big Red One . . . Do I get to take credit for that?

JustRalph
08-24-2014, 11:46 AM
I believe his dad was a Colonel who ran his household kind of like "The Great Santini" and that is where "The Sarge" came from. Nick was called that at home as a teenager or something like that. I've heard him tell the story a couple of times on TVG over the years. He actually claims to keep the characterization alive and well as a homage to his father. He never infers that he is ex military etc. it's just a nick that stuck with him and he plays it up for fun.

Tor Ekman
08-24-2014, 12:03 PM
He in fact implies he is ex-military every time he engages in his schtick. I can accept the opening salute as a tribute to his dad, but he should quit it with the "OORAH" shout-outs, for which he has not earned the right, IMO.

thespaah
08-24-2014, 12:33 PM
That's B.S. My father was awarded the Bronze Star in WWII as a sarge in the Big Red One . . . Do I get to take credit for that?
I agree. However this may not be the proper forum for this type of discussion.
I thank your father for his service to the country and for being part of the "greatest generation".

thaskalos
08-24-2014, 12:35 PM
You must lead a charmed life if you get worked up over something minor like this. We seldom pick our nicknames; they are usually thrusted upon us, for a variety of reasons...and we play up to them just to appease others. Sarge is not an uncommon nickname...and it's a modest one at that. Some have been nicknamed "General"...even though their military service (if any) has proven to be decidedly undistinguished.

jballscalls
08-24-2014, 12:52 PM
You must lead a charmed life if you get worked up over something minor like this. We seldom pick our nicknames; they are usually thrusted upon us, for a variety of reasons...and we play up to them just to appease others. Sarge is not an uncommon nickname...and it's a modest one at that. Some have been nicknamed "General"...even though their military service (if any) has proven to be decidedly undistinguished.

our racing secretary at work is called the General and he's never served. just someone started calling him that and it stuck

cj
08-24-2014, 02:49 PM

As a retired Air Force guy, I say who cares? I have no idea how the nickname came about, but I sincerely doubt it was meant to belittle those that serve. He's a good guy and always pro military.

ronsmac
08-24-2014, 04:02 PM
As a retired Air Force guy, I say who cares? I have no idea how the nickname came about, but I sincerely doubt it was meant to belittle those that serve. He's a good guy and always pro military.
As a veteran I agree with you.

lamboguy
08-24-2014, 04:15 PM
the boss did a good job today closing a useless thread, he should pull the trigger on this one as well.

its pretty sickening to read negative post's over and over again where someone is getting belted over the head for no good reason.

Stillriledup
08-24-2014, 04:22 PM
the boss did a good job today closing a useless thread, he should pull the trigger on this one as well.

its pretty sickening to read negative post's over and over again where someone is getting belted over the head for no good reason.

Wait, Bruce Springsteen is a mod here? :D

Lets get back to topic...our distain for TVG. ;)

Stillriledup
08-24-2014, 04:27 PM
TVG doing everything in their power to make you not want to watch.

If you want to have "Fancy" camera angles, at least have a cameraman who wasn't hired yesterday.

johnhannibalsmith
08-24-2014, 04:36 PM
TVG doing everything in their power to make you not want to watch.

If you want to have "Fancy" camera angles, at least have a cameraman who wasn't hired yesterday.

Are you talking about the new gate cam thing?

I think the cameraman may be one of the starters wearing it on his head.

Stillriledup
08-24-2014, 04:44 PM
Are you talking about the new gate cam thing?

I think the cameraman may be one of the starters wearing it on his head.

This would make sense, thanks. I thought it was someone who was hired yesterday just holding the camera in very shaky fashion. I can't watch that, bothers my eyes.

johnhannibalsmith
08-24-2014, 04:44 PM
I gotta say, the TVG version of Sarge may wear me down, but I remember about a half-dozen years back when he shipped in to Turf for one of the stakes. Usually everyone in Phoenix mutters and stammers when those damn out-of-towners come take the money - compounded by the fact that often the actual trainer never even bothers to show up and nobody seems to really even care that they won a race at Turf.

Sarge was in full entertainer mode, not only made the trip but was holding court and at least giving the vibe that he was happy to be there and having fun. He won the race as I remember (it wasn't Ms. Minton, had to be a stake) and the place was packed and fans were actually cheering. He walks up the ramp to the track apron and does the ole' salute in about seventeen different directions, happier than shit to win the race and hamming it up.

It was a really nice sight and he won me over that day just with his enthusiasm for the sport at a time in that long meet where people just lose that happy-go-lucky mindset until May.

johnhannibalsmith
08-24-2014, 05:01 PM
... I can't watch that, bothers my eyes.

I like it. That's probably as intense a moment in a race as the finish and I like being in the midst of that combustible moment.

They had some jocks at TuP slap on some of those helmet cams a few years ago and I thought it was fantastic. Considering TuP wastes 14 minutes between races telling us about the Kentucky Derby Buffet Special beginning in November since there's nothing else to put on the screen, it amazes that me that they won't do that with one rider each race or something and play it between races. Everyone claims it's boring between live races since they never go near the paddock, and that few minutes of camera work is highly entertaining.

Stillriledup
08-24-2014, 05:16 PM
I like it. That's probably as intense a moment in a race as the finish and I like being in the midst of that combustible moment.

They had some jocks at TuP slap on some of those helmet cams a few years ago and I thought it was fantastic. Considering TuP wastes 14 minutes between races telling us about the Kentucky Derby Buffet Special beginning in November since there's nothing else to put on the screen, it amazes that me that they won't do that with one rider each race or something and play it between races. Everyone claims it's boring between live races since they never go near the paddock, and that few minutes of camera work is highly entertaining.

The problem i have with "odd" angles is to me, they're random. If you see a close up of a helmet cam at the gate, that could be any race on any day, if they save some of this footage and show it again in November, you wouldn't know if its live or not, its just a closeup shot of random horses, is no help whatsoever in helping make betting decisions.

Marshall Bennett
08-24-2014, 08:16 PM

Which thread was that?

Stillriledup
08-24-2014, 08:40 PM
Which thread was that?

Probably the Andy Serling thread in the handicapping section.

taxicab
08-25-2014, 02:19 AM
I gotta say, the TVG version of Sarge may wear me down, but I remember about a half-dozen years back when he shipped in to Turf for one of the stakes. Usually everyone in Phoenix mutters and stammers when those damn out-of-towners come take the money - compounded by the fact that often the actual trainer never even bothers to show up and nobody seems to really even care that they won a race at Turf.

Sarge was in full entertainer mode, not only made the trip but was holding court and at least giving the vibe that he was happy to be there and having fun. He won the race as I remember (it wasn't Ms. Minton, had to be a stake) and the place was packed and fans were actually cheering. He walks up the ramp to the track apron and does the ole' salute in about seventeen different directions, happier than shit to win the race and hamming it up.

It was a really nice sight and he won me over that day just with his enthusiasm for the sport at a time in that long meet where people just lose that happy-go-lucky mindset until May.

http://youtu.be/yhCQ82lTLyo
yhCQ82lTLyo

http://youtu.be/VsqtiEw8598
VsqtiEw8598

johnhannibalsmith
08-25-2014, 11:25 AM
http://youtu.be/yhCQ82lTLyo

http://youtu.be/VsqtiEw8598

:lol: :lol:

Great stuff.

kinznk
08-25-2014, 01:34 PM
I really like TVG. It suits my needs. However, being a west coaster, at 8:30 I get a steady diet of the 2002 Summit of Speed at Calder, the 2009 Longacres Mile, the 2010 Clement Hirsch, The 2006 All American Futurity from Ruidoso Downs, the occasional replay of some donkey race, and the 2009 Travers. They must have oodles of tape to replay more Classic Horse Races that they covered. Heck they could just play highlights from claiming races around the country with exciting finishes. Other than that I really enjoy TVG.

Wickel
08-25-2014, 02:11 PM
Kenny's gone; Wolfie is gone. On deck: Mattie. We can only hope.

Stillriledup
08-25-2014, 02:15 PM
Kenny's gone; Wolfie is gone. On deck: Mattie. We can only hope.

There's another guy who's really annoying, acting like a 5 year old way too much, when TVG wants to become a serious horse racing channel, they can get rid of the clown show...i won't hold my breath though.

Tom
08-25-2014, 03:35 PM
Gino's a guy I would hang out with at the track.
Kind of like he was my little brother and I would protect him when he pissed of the rail birds.

He strikes me as the kind of guy who is thumbing through the first race at Yonkers while that finale at Belmont is at the gate.....getting ready for a fast car ride.

Stillriledup
08-25-2014, 04:03 PM
Gino's a guy I would hang out with at the track.
Kind of like he was my little brother and I would protect him when he pissed of the rail birds.

He strikes me as the kind of guy who is thumbing through the first race at Yonkers while that finale at Belmont is at the gate.....getting ready for a fast car ride.

Gino lives near Santa Anita and is based out of So Cal, but you're right, if he was based in NY, he would be zipping down the freeway trying to make the first at Yonkers as soon as Belmont is over.

And, that's a good thing. :D

spiketoo
08-25-2014, 06:07 PM
Sarge just went a mini tirade about someone, somewhere calling him a 'chalk weasel'. I kinda like the sound of that. :D

spiketoo
08-30-2014, 07:08 PM
Paulie LoDouche was talking the chances of :3: Micromanage during the post parade of the Woodward.

The hoss scratched at 11:26 AM.

JustRalph
08-30-2014, 07:47 PM
Paulie LoDouche was talking the chances of :3: Micromanage during the post parade of the Woodward.

Some of those steroids are still floating around his brain

Stillriledup
08-30-2014, 08:53 PM

Not to mention that after the race is over, they commented several times on Paco Lopez "grandstanding" when it was clearly the other rider. I dont know who kept saying that, i have it on tape, i can get it later on, but geez, that just shows they're not paying attention at all.

joeslovo
09-01-2014, 01:33 PM
I agree about TVG...need to have the mute on to make it watchable.
The commentators are simply unprofessional spivs;touts and corner boys.
And they know next to nothing about odds making.

thespaah
09-01-2014, 01:50 PM
What's a "spiv"?

Stillriledup
09-01-2014, 02:17 PM
What's a "spiv"?

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=spiv

thespaah
09-01-2014, 02:19 PM
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=spiv
Ok then....I thought it was some sort of slang.

Stillriledup
09-01-2014, 02:21 PM
What's a "spiv"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiv

spiketoo
09-01-2014, 04:59 PM

Well, they say they have picks on their site that you can use to 'bet with the pros.'

So maybe they are professional spivs.

Stillriledup
09-01-2014, 06:08 PM
Well, they say they have picks on their site that you can use to 'bet with the pros.'

So maybe they are professional spivs.

yes, Pro baseball players, pro trainers and pro journalists. They say nothing about pro horseplayers.

Redbullsnation
09-01-2014, 07:56 PM
Meh, it's the only horse racing channel I have and as long as they show the race, I'm okay

horses4courses
09-01-2014, 08:01 PM
As a horseplayer, you're in a pretty sorry state if you rely on,
or even pay much attention to, the plays given out on TVG.

Aren't there enough decent sources out there to boost your handicapping?

thespaah
09-01-2014, 08:19 PM
As a horseplayer, you're in a pretty sorry state if you rely on,
or even pay much attention to, the plays given out on TVG.

Aren't there enough decent sources out there to boost your handicapping?
The mute button is your friend.
Switch to Dish and you get HRTV.....TVG can't hold HRTV's stall bandages.
Yes, I've heard the complaining about HRTV's video quality. Actually, all the negative aspects of HRTV's alleged lack of the highest video quality melt away when one does not have to deal with the mindless banter, shilling for horizontal bets and shameless promotions to "bet on our site" of TVG.
Throughout the entire Saratoga meet, I did not tune to TVG once.

lamboguy
09-01-2014, 08:28 PM
here's what i like about TVG. when tracks are on their network they all get more action. Ruiodoso just had their futurity and they did over $600,000 in handle. tracks on TVG gives you bigger pools and more action if you need it.

i don't care about what public handicappers like or say about horses, i just want action. if you are a serious bettor you should probably bet against all picks that any public handicapper doles out for free. try it you might get better results.

RarifiedAir
09-01-2014, 09:04 PM
I remember once they found Barbra Streisand and friends in the grandstand and the 2 bit announcers were so giddy about it meanwhile Streisand was furious that their camera was running on her. For me it sums up TVG perfectly. Guys like Matty and Schrutte are prime time wannabe's. I do like Sarge though and Perloff on Tuesdays in the handi-capsule.

Tom
09-01-2014, 09:24 PM
Todd Schrupp.....no bueno.

Fingal
09-01-2014, 10:25 PM
I suppose TVG takes more flack because more people see it than HRTV, but HRTV has some faults too, so no way I listen to either for a full day of East/West coast racing. Until it's time to turn back when my post time comes up, it's Pawn Star reruns for me.

Marshall Bennett
09-02-2014, 04:45 AM
Todd Schrupp.....no bueno.
He's difficult to listen to for sure.