PDA

View Full Version : New conditions

Tom
10-04-2013, 10:25 PM
MAIDEN SPECIAL WEIGHT. 1 Mile Turf. Purse $85,000. (UP TO $16,150 NYSBFOA) FOR MAIDENS, FILLIES AND MARES THREE YEARS OLD AND UPWARD. Three Year Olds, 120 lbs.; Older, 123 lbs. ( Purse Reflects an Increase of $10,000 Providing a minimum of eight betting interest leave the paddock.). (If the Stewards consider it inadvisable to run this race on the turf course, this race will be run at One Mile on the main track.). (12:50 PM) (9)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
New condtions added at Belmont?
I just noticed them, but looks they started when TOga closed?

JustRalph
10-04-2013, 10:41 PM
MAIDEN SPECIAL WEIGHT. 1 Mile Turf. Purse $85,000. (UP TO $16,150 NYSBFOA) FOR MAIDENS, FILLIES AND MARES THREE YEARS OLD AND UPWARD. Three Year Olds, 120 lbs.; Older, 123 lbs. ( Purse Reflects an Increase of $10,000 Providing a minimum of eight betting interest leave the paddock.). (If the Stewards consider it inadvisable to run this race on the turf course, this race will be run at One Mile on the main track.). (12:50 PM) (9)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
New condtions added at Belmont?
I just noticed them, but looks they started when TOga closed?

I noticed it a few days back. is 8 the magic number nowadays? I notice it says "leaves the paddock" what about gate scratches?

thespaah
10-04-2013, 10:43 PM
NYRA did this at Saratoga .Might have been 2 or 3 years ago. I noticed the condition in the PP's..
Did not notice the bonus this year.

Clocker
10-04-2013, 11:23 PM
I notice it says "leaves the paddock" what about gate scratches?

It sounds like lawyer language, designed to meet the letter of some law or association rule.

TravisVOX
10-04-2013, 11:40 PM
Handle grows in a near linear fashion through seven horses but increases significantly faster with eight and beyond. Eight is the minimum you want in a race if you're trying to maximize handle.

Hoofless_Wonder
10-05-2013, 01:24 AM
That condition seems to be a conflict of interest. Instead of scratching while the horse is in the barn, the trainer will be "encouraged" to at least saddle him up and get him out on the track, though perhaps $10K isn't that big of deal.

I see more late scratches with this condition, where the brunt of the pain will be incurred by the players and the tellers.

Besides, aren't larger fields the responsibility of the racing secretary?

TravisVOX
10-05-2013, 09:02 AM
That condition seems to be a conflict of interest. Instead of scratching while the horse is in the barn, the trainer will be "encouraged" to at least saddle him up and get him out on the track, though perhaps $10K isn't that big of deal.

I see more late scratches with this condition, where the brunt of the pain will be incurred by the players and the tellers.

If the horse scratches on the track then said trainer doesn't get any of the purse but still has to pay for help, meds, lead pony etc. This clause is not particularly new and has been around at some tracks in various forms.

As for the Racing Secretary, yes, but it's not always easy. You'll never find a trainer upset about a small field.

Pensacola Pete
10-05-2013, 11:53 AM
I noticed it a few days back. is 8 the magic number nowadays? I notice it says "leaves the paddock" what about gate scratches?

If 8+ horses go to the post parade, the bonus is put into the purse, even if less than 8 start.

Unless it's different in NY, only the track vet or the stewards can order a scratch after the horse is on the track.

Some_One
10-05-2013, 03:53 PM
Handle grows in a near linear fashion through seven horses but increases significantly faster with eight and beyond. Eight is the minimum you want in a race if you're trying to maximize handle.

But the problem is that you have these cheap horses running for such a high purse, most G1's are usually 4-5X the purse of that race. We wonder why graded races draw small fields and it's simple there is no incentive to run in a graded race when the money is just as good in lower class races. Just going off the top of my head, the multiplier between group and maiden races in Australia is 12-15X and England I would put it at 15-20X

thespaah
10-05-2013, 07:43 PM

To my knowledge, The Racing Secretary has two responsibilities....
One is to write competitive races.
Two, to insure the races he or she writes will fill.
Please, of anyone has better knowledge of this area, please chime in...
Thanks in advance.